Merge the EU/US Servers

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

putting together dedicated off-peak teams, definitely are “skill” in my book, much more so than individual combat skill and geared up-ness by the players.

Doesn’t take skill to PvDoor. It’s grind.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: salluks.6017

salluks.6017

This is probably the only thread on any game forum where the players don’t seem to have with latency but the game company does!

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

No one is being asked or forced to do anything.

Make the ladder one world wide ladder. The problem of coverage will sort itself out.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: cold.3946

cold.3946

Make the ladder one world wide ladder. The problem of coverage will sort itself out.

If you make one world-wide ladder, you are merging the datacenters. That forces people to contend with intercontinental latency.

I don’t know how else to make this any clearer.

Keg – 80 Guardian | Mini Keg – 80 Mesmer
Strike Force [SF] Stormbluff Isle
www.strikeforceguild.com

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

SoulstitchMMO.1396

If you make one world-wide ladder, you are merging the datacenters. That forces people to contend with intercontinental latency.

I don’t know how else to make this any clearer.

The lag is not bad, at all.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

The lag is workable from Asia to NA, mostly. 300-400ms is about the borderline of playability and there are already regions of Asia-Pacific that have that kind of ping in GW2.

Force me to deal with the 500-600 ms pings to European servers and I’m getting a refund. I’ve been shunted onto EU servers in GW1 before, it’s just a waste of time.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Retrobond.4798

Retrobond.4798

All these people saying that the Oceanic and Asia players don’t complain about the lag are false. We don’t complain because we do not have a choice about it. The NA data center is at Texas and we cannot do anything about it. If there is an Asia or Oceanic data center most of us will be playing there. You can notice the lag during sizable armies fight for points.

(edited by Retrobond.4798)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

There’s lag in large zerg fights even if you lived directly beside the data center. :p

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

SoulstitchMMO.1396

Yeah large fight lag, is universal. And talking with NA players on EU servers, they don’t notice the lag at all.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Tzash.5748

Tzash.5748

Yeah large fight lag, is universal. And talking with NA players on EU servers, they don’t notice the lag at all.

So thats fine for NA players and probably the same for western EU players. But what about Asian/Oceanic/Russian/etc players?

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

SoulstitchMMO.1396

So thats fine for NA players and probably the same for western EU players. But what about Asian/Oceanic/Russian/etc players?

They deal with it the same they’ve been dealing with it all this time? You think EU servers don’t have coverage during their primetimes from people in those regions?

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Parthenos Polias.5683

Parthenos Polias.5683

They deal with it the same they’ve been dealing with it all this time? You think EU servers don’t have coverage during their primetimes from people in those regions?

Half of Eu servers, known as tagged servers, doesn’t have coverage from people in those regions.

Please remember that tagged servers exist and represent 25% of the players.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Jabberwok.5730

Jabberwok.5730

(1) NA players: excellent ping on NA servers, workable ping on EU servers
(2) EU players: excellent ping on EU servers, workable ping on NA servers
(3) Asia/Oceanic players: tolerable ping on NA servers, terrible ping on EU servers
(4) Russia/etc players: tolerable ping on EU servers, terrible ping on NA servers

Players on (1) and (2) have the luxury of choosing between NA and EU, players on (3)(4) don’t have that luxury. If you merge the servers or place them in the same WvW match, they cannot play. Take this into consideration please.

Avatar of Deity[AoD] – StormBluff Isles

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Retrobond.4798

Retrobond.4798

(3) Asia/Oceanic players: tolerable ping on NA servers, terrible ping on EU servers
(4) Russia/etc players: tolerable ping on EU servers, terrible ping on NA servers

Players on (1) and (2) have the luxury of choosing between NA and EU, players on (3)(4) don’t have that luxury. If you merge the servers or place them in the same WvW match, they cannot play. Take this into consideration please.

This is exactly the situation right now. 3 and 4 have delays and at a small disadvantage against their counterparts. And merging would be a problem right now because for WvW to happen these servers would have to be at the same data center to happen.

The problem is WvW was supposed to be 24/7 but ANet split the servers. If there were international servers, there won’t be coverage problems and it would be fixed on due time with transfers. But the forum posts then would be problems about ping since the servers are only on one data center.

FFXI only had one data center. EU FR NA ASIA players were made to play on Japanese servers. People were able to communicate with other players with auto-translate built into chat. The problem was Japanese players had the biggest advantage because they have the best latency.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Armoek.4368

Armoek.4368

If I had a server in Australia to play on and then it was taken away I would rain tears in this forum. People have no idea what they are talking about if they think forcing people to deal with latency problems when they don’t have to is a good solution to anything. The only Australian who would say it is fine is someone who over many years has been kitten all over by MMO developers never bothering with servers.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Syndic.4762

Syndic.4762

We have 3 points of view;

- WvW is 24/7 and ladder should reflect that.
- Ladders are regional and NA guilds shouldn’t play on EU servers and vice versa.
- Players should sort it out themselves and figure which 24/7 servers will dominate each ladder.

Either way, I fully agree that FR/GER/ESP servers are at a severe disadvantage because of their localized player-base. Perhaps removing the FR/DE/SP tags would help these communities attract overseas players?

It’s really a shame what’s happening in our match-up Blacktide/Elona Reach/Riverside. We’re beating them in prime time by a small (50-60 points) margin, majority of our points come from 24/7 presence that those German servers can’t even think about competing against.

Comparatively, what Vizunah Square and Arborstone were doing versus Desolation (alarmclocking 2-3 hours before work) as their only option to counter strong US guilds, only serves to burn out the hardcore playerbase that cares about WvW and weakens the competition in the whole ladder.

Things need to be tweaked for sure.

[CIR]
Blacktide

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Pherenice.8124

Pherenice.8124

There is nothing to tweak…

1st. You play on FR / German / Spanish server ? your problem.
You choose that server knowing you would only play with 1 nation, and 1 nation only.

EU server have many nations working together, this would bound to happen as EU servers speak english and have lots more time coverage then a 1 nation server.

2nd. USA / ASIAN / EU / AUSSIES decide for themsevles where and how to play.
USA on EU ladders ? good game they want 24/7 WvW going, dont like it ? find more off peak guilds for your server or join a server that have off peak coverage.

3trd. Congruatiolations Desolation with wiping off Vizunah Sqaure from the crown.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Evene.5796

Evene.5796

If players need to figure things out for them-self, the logic should be followed to its end, and Tags on servers should be removed. And no, massive NA communities on EU was not on the feature list. Anet can’t say NA is the international ladder, EU is the ladder for European community and at the same time authorize big NA on EU ladder, it’s not logical. It’s like authorizing New Zealand in the 6 Nation tournament because they are playing Rugby too…

(edited by Evene.5796)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: username.4932

username.4932

It is sad to see some player enjoying the EU WvW destruction.

Many players are leaving WvW and some even leave the game because of what as become WvW. There’s nothing to enjoy with the WvW slow dying process which has started lately.

Many EU players are in wait state and the future of EU WvW depends on ANet’s reaction. Please don’t let WvW die, we really enjoyed it but in the current state it is not an enjoyable experience anymore.

(edited by username.4932)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Rieshaus.7486

Rieshaus.7486

Okay, this might be the opinion of Arenanet, too. Ignoring 25% of the Wvw-Playerbase. In numbers we are not so much, thinking about the fact that their can’t be more then 2000 Player in Wvw at the same time, without waitingtime. 13 Servers, makes maybe less then 3-5% of the playerbase. Okay, I would ignore this too, but the ähm the Image-Damage (translating german in english) is there.
The problem is: public Ranking in Wvw was not the best idea. Correct me if I’m a wrong, but I’d never seen a game with eSport-Character in Mass-PVP. Thats ridiculous. I don’t care if my Server ist 1. oder 10. oder 20. I want to have nice fights. Maybe without logging in, and seeing everything fill up with upgrades, but that would be a challenge too. In my opinion Ranking is a cheap way to make something interesting,.
Maybe more love in Maps, Siegeweapons, Benefits would have been the better way?
There was always a kind of Serveridentity, over here almost everybody hopp around, looking for the next freewin, make fun of people that are more “tradtional” and wants to seetle down and 24/7 coverage defines the new “Skill”. Thats the playerbase that is attracted by Ranking? Nice.
Image-Damage. I was a huge Fan of Anet, after GW1, the best PVP, I’ve seen until then. And now? Many DaoC-People cried about the way WAR was developed. Know how they feel now ^^.
It’s to late, have to accept it, and say bb to real WvW. Well, in GW2, there is always a new Game-Release . And now GW2 is a nice study, how not to make it. Okay, maybe I get me a PS4, I’m rly tired about the Next-Next-Gen-MMO…

And to make it clear: I’ve got no problems with Americans, I got a blue passport myself, my father was born in the beautiful south. But, I’m still traditional and stubborn. Yeah. No game will force me how (PvD) or where (NA) to play, sry.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

What your missing here is if they move so all servers are in EU or Us then more players will have lag problems, with then mean that Arenanet will have more problems.
If a player moves from Us to EU or the other way it is his own fault if he get more lag, but if they do the move its Arenanets fault.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: jinroh.9217

jinroh.9217

There is a reason why there are tagged servers. You know that these FR/ DE/ ES are 25% of all players.
Most of them go on these servers to speak their native language in PvE. So its easier to find groups, make dungeons or have just fun.
If Anet would remove the tags from these servers alot players would quite the game.
Not all people like to speak english in their freetime nor can they speak English that good to communicate in a MMO.

If Anet doesn’t do anything right now, WvWvW ( or GW2 too) will be dead to alot of european players.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Valkh.3204

Valkh.3204

“Not all people like to speak english in their freetime nor can they speak English that good to communicate in a MMO”.

I think Anet shall tag servers for every lang on this planet or GW2 will be dead to a lot of players !!!!!

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

I’m strongly against global datacenters or linking the datacenters on eachother to allow for merged ladders which would most likely create a lot of network lag. Almost all games have separate datacenters and server tags for a reason.

Many players have already experienced in other games what impact latency can have. To give an example, when lotro EU was no longer hosted by codies but on the same server park in US by turbine themselves, my latency went from 15-25 tot 90-160.
This was really noticable by me during PvE endgame raiding. I had short dc’s due to packet loss and network lag far more often than before, textures took longer to load and there’s nothing anybody can change about it other than improving all hubs along the route from my house via my ISP to the game servers in US.
In PvP this will be much more noticable than in a PvE instance so for WvW that would be horrible for me.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Jack.4360

Jack.4360

Merging won’t stack time wise. There is already a huge outcry about ‘night-capping’. If servers are merged, EU servers will be at a distinct disadvantage. During US peak time, EU is asleep. During US sleep time, most of the EU are at work. I can hear the screams already

Equinox Ecliptic [NOX]
Gunnar’s Hold

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: DerCosinus.5964

DerCosinus.5964

You choose that server knowing you would only play with 1 nation, and 1 nation only.

EU server have many nations working together, this would bound to happen as EU servers speak english and have lots more time coverage then a 1 nation server.

USA on EU ladders ? good game they want 24/7 WvW going, dont like it ? find more off peak guilds for your server or join a server that have off peak coverage.

3trd. Congruatiolations Desolation with wiping off Vizunah Sqaure from the crown.

1. You are forgetting something: we decided to Play on a national Server in Europe (FR/DE/SP are still a Part of it) to compete against other Europeans.

2. USA on EU-Servers want what? 24/7 WvW? Just to make it clear: NA-Guilds formerly playing on NA-Servers didnt had enough Enemies in their Main-Times, so they switched to EU-Servers to compete against… what? Our Doors? How Brave they must be!
You said it yourself: it´s an Off-Peak-WvW for them. They dont have to Fear that somebody would Stop them in Capping all Points. Again: HOW BRAVE!

3. Desolation whipping off VS… Really? “Oh look VS! We are better than you because we kicked your A** while you have been sleeping!”

http://mos.millenium.org/servers/view/15

Just take a look how Deso made their Points. In the EU-Maintime they had to Fight and WHOOPS! It doesnt look that Good for them. But in the EU-Night… When nobody is there… I can hear Deso-Players scream: “YAY! Free Points!”

I have no Problem with Nightcapping. Its a part of the Game.
BUT: Let the Nichtcappers be from Europe! If they do it, i know that they had to stand Up (or stay Up) in the Night. They have to sacrifice their Sleeping Time to do that. Thats something i can accept, even more: i admire that! They are showing their Will to do more for their Server.
NA-Guilds doing that while we are sleeping? As tough as stealing a Cookie from a Baby…

DerCosinus; Miller´s Sound (EU-DE)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: waeren.9743

waeren.9743

1. You are forgetting something: we decided to Play on a national Server in Europe (FR/DE/SP are still a Part of it) to compete against other Europeans.

2. USA on EU-Servers want what? 24/7 WvW? Just to make it clear: NA-Guilds formerly playing on NA-Servers didnt had enough Enemies in their Main-Times, so they switched to EU-Servers to compete against… what? Our Doors? How Brave they must be!
You said it yourself: it´s an Off-Peak-WvW for them. They dont have to Fear that somebody would Stop them in Capping all Points. Again: HOW BRAVE!

3. Desolation whipping off VS… Really? “Oh look VS! We are better than you because we kicked your A** while you have been sleeping!”

http://mos.millenium.org/servers/view/15

Just take a look how Deso made their Points. In the EU-Maintime they had to Fight and WHOOPS! It doesnt look that Good for them. But in the EU-Night… When nobody is there… I can hear Deso-Players scream: “YAY! Free Points!”

I have no Problem with Nightcapping. Its a part of the Game.
BUT: Let the Nichtcappers be from Europe! If they do it, i know that they had to stand Up (or stay Up) in the Night. They have to sacrifice their Sleeping Time to do that. Thats something i can accept, even more: i admire that! They are showing their Will to do more for their Server.
NA-Guilds doing that while we are sleeping? As tough as stealing a Cookie from a Baby…

DerCosinus; Miller´s Sound (EU-DE)

1) It was always obvious that the EU/NA tags were just there as reference. Nothing prevented EU/NA/… people from joining the other one.

2) Being able to compete in a high tier without having queues could be a reason.

3) Looking at the score I’d say Desolation was fairly close to VS even during the “day”.

Judging from the devs comment ladders will stay separate and I doubt we’ll see IP based bans.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: fefner.5729

fefner.5729

The North American and European data centers are different in one important respect: they are located on different continents. North American players connecting to the NA data center (and European Union players connecting to the EU data center) will generally experience lower latency and a higher likelihood of playing with larger groups of other players, as those in the same data center tend to operate during similar times of the day. So there are real distinctions between the data centers which their EU/NA affiliations make clear and for that reason we will not be removing their continent designations.

We don’t match up worlds from multiple data centers for similar reasons. Ultimately, the server that runs a WvW map must live somewhere in the world and the players who connect from that same continent will have a distinct advantage over those connecting from another continent due to lower latency. In order to keep things as fair as possible to all involved we keep the matchups within each data center.

Of course it is always possible for an EU player to choose to play on an NA server, or vice-versa, but in doing so that player is choosing to take on the burden of additional latency. That situation is vastly different from our matching system placing an entire team at a latency disadvantage without their knowledge or consent.

tl;dr: data centers are on different continents, latency is an issue with inter-continental connections, data center distinctions are here to stay.

Daoc and War merged the EU and US servers into a few US based servers and they work fine. It also makes it a fair 24 hour pvp game, instead what you have here is a few servers have US players playing on EU servers and vice versa against servers who are a EU or US true server. The ones with both player base playing will always win but if you combined the servers then all servers would have a 24 hour player base making it fair. The elder scrolls online game as a great system in place meaning it will be a fair 24 hour battle (that’s if their system works with thousands of players logging on). You need a fair system and merging like the OP said is the only way to make the game fair.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Drede.4701

Drede.4701

what you have here is a few servers have US players playing on EU servers and vice versa against servers who are a EU or US true server.

So tell the “true servers” to get some help from the other region. Problem solved. I really don’t understand this argument whatsoever. Every server is already international no need to combine the ladders and force a killed ping. You say the NA guilds on EU servers are fighting doors? Get those doors some defenders from the NA. Yak’s was totally dominating their match this week after the weekend. Then a combination of NA players on Fort Asp burning the night oil and possibly some help from EU made our match interesting again. If you want your server to compete, work for it and get some help from the other regions. 24/7 is 24/7 not 18/7 or 10/7…

The many different ways I can spell Regnilond xD
Guardians of the Creed [HATE]
Yak’s Bend

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

They have to sacrifice their Sleeping Time to do that.

That doesn’t make any sense. Sacrificing sleep time is an onerous feature tolerable only in hardcore games, the ones that come with features as “full loot on death” (and of course no Alt-F4-ing out of death) that have nothing to do with GW2.

Stuck in GW2’s casual WvW, sleep sacrifice is wholly out of place. Here’s your reason why people have been criticizing it since day one. It feels wrong as a tumor would.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Rieshaus.7486

Rieshaus.7486

3) Looking at the score I’d say Desolation was fairly close to VS even during the “day”.

Jupp, sitting in buildings like, pardon, ducks. Everyone know that it’s cost more effort taking something if the enemy has the whole night and half the day to decorate everthing with siegeweapons, portals, upgraded walls/doors etc.. You need more people, tactics, cutting of the supply for example. That takes time, and money.
So, even if the defenders are at the same income-level, their are not equal in this time(!). Because they have an advantage. They should have even more points, if they got enough people in this time.

24/7-Servers always bring this argument, to show that they are so good as the others.
And sry, to say: they are not. Thats PR, not a proof. But that doesn’t matters. because this game honours at first coverage, not “skill”, organisation, a productive server-com whatsoever.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Slashpaf.9250

Slashpaf.9250

Since NA players are zerging on EU servers we encounter massive lags and freezes in WvW.
Like in a lot of MOBA : if one player lags, everybody does.

Vizunah Square

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

DerCosinus.5964

Let here be a simple Poll with only one Question:

Do you want Help from other Regions?

Put all the Server that answered with “Yes” into one Pool.
The other ones should stay in der Region-Pool.

We will see how long this Servers will survive.

I´m sure that 90% of Europen-Region Servers would answer with “No!”

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Knasher.5607

Knasher.5607

I´m sure that 90% of Europen-Region Servers would answer with “No!”

I’d be willing to bet that most of the EU servers would vote yes (assuming the question was asking in a less obviously biased fashion of course). What difference does it make to someone playing on Seafarers Rest (for example) if there are people playing on Desolation from NA. Unless people switch to them on mass they are never going to have the numbers to reasonably fight some of the larger servers. It is in their best interest to be in the largest pool possible so they have the greatest chance to play against servers that are at about the same level as them(as measured by the ranking algorithm, which measures player numbers more than skill), beyond that they shouldn’t really care.

During BWE3 there was 17 servers with a generalized language focus, 4 German, 3 French and 0 Spanish servers, now there are 14 generic servers and 13 language specific servers. The conclusion you can draw from this is that ANet underestimated how popular the language specific servers were going to be and had to add new ones in order to meet the demand, it also likely means that the language specific servers (especially Vizunah) have higher populations that other servers (and the queue data ANet released a few weeks ago seems to back this up). The language specific servers were given a huge advantage over any others because of this, it is far easier to find people willing to stay up and play late when your population is many times the size of the other servers.

Before you point out that Desolation is marked as full at the moment (as is Elona, Vizunah, Blacktide and one other), I’d remind you that full doesn’t actually indicate how many players are on a server. Before launch there were a number of posts describing how ANet could control the population that could play on a server dynamically and without restarting them. Nor does it indicate how many people play WvW. It is entierly possible that Desolation is still on a lower population than Vizunah, but higher than Gandara (which also had full status recently).

WvW is a matter of player numbers, it always has been. The only thing that has changed is that in the past it was just the language specific servers (and Far Shiverpeaks) that had the numbers to play in tier 1. Now Desolation and Blacktide do. In another month it is entirely possible a different set of servers will.

WvW didn’t stop when the language specific servers dominated. It hasn’t ended for servers playing in the lower tiers like Seafarers. And it won’t end on the language specific servers playing in tier 2. It isn’t any more or less fair than it was before the NA players transferred, it just isn’t biased as much towards the language specific servers any more. Asking to be transferred into a new pool isn’t asking for balance, or fairness or anything else, it is asking for the game to be changed so it is biased in your favor once again.

That being said, it is possible for tier 1 to be broken. Once a server gets to the very top, then there is no more up to go, no matter if it dominates there or not. And I’d imagine when that happens it damages the server in the second position (because it is just too good to drop down, so it gets crushed each week instead) and the server in the first (people making the queues unbearable as they transfer over, as well as the lack of challenge making it pointless). It’s way too early to say if that will happen though, but if it does it will be for the second time.

(edited by Knasher.5607)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

The lag is not bad, at all.

Care to show us the in depth stats you’ve got for this? Thought not, the lag is different for different people, not everyone has a tip top connection, many people live in places where they have a limited choice of what sort of internet connection / service they get.

Furthermore for those that just mention ping, it is not simply a case of ping, I used to play LOTRO, when WB brought Turbine, they moved all servers to the US, on the surface the change to my ping wasn’t that bad it went from about 60 in the EU to about 120 in US, which on first appearance seems fine.

However, I (and many others) started suffering from packet loss, at times up to 25% (this was more common for people further east in the EU, I’m in the UK, so never experienced it at that level, I did however experience skills not firing due to it at times, or suddenly teleport, etc, which would be even more of an issue in GW2).

Furthermore even though much of the time ping was a very reasonable 120 (ish), spikes, sometimes up to around 1000 were much, much more common, in all it made the gameplay unacceptable, I unsubbed.

If Anet were to the to do the same, I’d want a refund, one of the reasons I bought the game was because it had EU servers, I do not wish to be forced to play on US servers, just because you think you know best for the rest of us like the Dear Leader.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

No offense to the Russian players, but they probably don’t even make up 1% of the games population. Making any decision around such a small minority of players is harmful towards Anets long term interests.

As it stands now, most of the world can play on the NA servers just fine.

(edited by Rhyis.7058)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

DerCosinus.5964

No offense to the Russian players, but they probably don’t even make up 1% of the games population. Making any decision around such a small minority of players is harmful towards Anets long term interests.

As it stands now, most of the world can play on the NA servers just fine.

27 Servers in Europe
24 Servers in NA

Well.. Beside that i´m still for the “Stay in you Region!”-Option: Why should the majority switch?

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

Because as stated by somebody else, Oceanic players get bad ping on EU servers. And there’s a large number of those players (Aussies and such). There aren’t however a lot of Russian players, which make up the sole group of players that get bad ping on NA servers.

The EU vs NA issue itself is irrelevant because both those groups can hop over to the other side and barely feel the difference at all.

(edited by Rhyis.7058)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Sylosi.6503

Because as stated by somebody else, Oceanic players get bad ping on EU servers. And there’s a large number of those players (Aussies and such). There aren’t however a lot of Russian players, which make up the sole group of players that get bad ping on NA servers.

Wrong, Russians are not the only players that get bad ping on NA servers, nor for that matter is as simplistic as ping, I used to get 120 ping to NA (boston I think) in LOTRO from the UK, whcih on the surface sounds fine, I stopped playing the game, becasue I and many others started getting packet loss, which worsened the further east you live in Europe (we had people in Poland hitting 25% at times) as does ping as a generalisation, plus many, many more spikes (up to a 1000ms).

If you wish to play in a different region, fine that is your choice, the rest of us also like to excericse our choice as it was advertised when they sold us the game.

I suggest you go and play EVE online, if you want to play on a world server.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

What does LotRO servers have to do with GW servers?

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Sylosi.6503

What does LotRO servers have to do with GW servers?

I was using it to illustrate simply looking at ping is simplistic and incorrect, that you have to consider things like packet loss and the frequency of spikes, I would have thought that was obvious, apparently not…

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

I’d be obvious if it made any sense. There are multiple reasons for lag. Many of which aren’t even internet related, but hardware related. If LotRO was poorly coded, that alone was enough for you to experience lag spikes.

For example in this game, no matter where the hell you are in the world, you will lag when there’s a large zerg vs zerg battle going on. This has nothing to do with latency at all.

I’m getting the feeling most of the people complaining about lag, on a server that isn’t based in their region, is experiencing this and passing it off as a latency issue. Because when I hopped on a EU server from a NA server for a few days, if there was latency difference I sure as hell didn’t feel it.

(edited by Rhyis.7058)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

I agree with removing the EU/US distinction.

If you’re going to allow US players to come to EU servers and vice versa and also post an announcement on your forums saying that those transfers are part of WvW (thus part of the game) then you should remove the area distinction. It would otherwise contradict what you posted:

Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.
This is not saying that we are against any adjustment to scoring, or against developing another mechanic to improve the capping system. This is simply saying that we will not be changing WvW based on some players’ idea of off time hours.

Also, if you remove this. People won’t flame on each other for having players from a different region on their server.

The only reason why I would imagine you had the EU/US thing is for the french/german/spanish servers. But do you really want to confuse your customers just to please 3 countries? Let those servers keep their EU tag, but other than that I don’t see how it should stay. It also makes wvw more interesting. That way you most likely won’t have to see the same opponent 8 weeks in a row.

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Sylosi.6503

I’d be obvious if it made any sense. There are multiple reasons for lag. Many of which aren’t even internet related, but hardware related. If LotRO was poorly coded, that alone was enough for you to experience lag spikes.

For example in this game, no matter where the hell you are in the world, you will lag when there’s a large zerg vs zerg battle going on. This has nothing to do with latency at all.

It makes perfect sense, that you aren’t up to understanding it… Whether LOTRO is poorly coded or not is irrelevant to the point, as is hardware, and yes it should be perfectly obvious, yet this thread is full of people like you, going on about ping as if that is the only measurement of the actual quality of the connection, by itself the average ping is meaningless.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Humpink.2306

Humpink.2306

tl;dr: data centers are on different continents, latency is an issue with inter-continental connections, data center distinctions are here to stay.

EVE Online, a true PvP game, is hosted in a single server cluster in the UK, yet hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world have no latency issues connecting to that datacenter.

The separation between NA and EU is killing WvW, and ultimately your player base. Hopefully you will reconsider when you realize that the long term viability of GW2 is very much linked to how much fun players have in WvW.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

yet this thread is full of people like you, going on about ping as if that is the only measurement of the actual quality of the connection, by itself the average ping is meaningless.

Whether LOTRO is poorly coded or not is irrelevant to the point, as is hardware, and yes it should be perfectly obvious

I don’t think I’ve seen such a strong contradiction within 2 sentences in a long time. I’m only talking about ping, but server coding and hardware is irrelevant. What? lol

(edited by Rhyis.7058)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Sylosi.6503

yet this thread is full of people like you, going on about ping as if that is the only measurement of the actual quality of the connection, by itself the average ping is meaningless.

Whether LOTRO is poorly coded or not is irrelevant to the point, as is hardware, and yes it should be perfectly obvious

I don’t think I’ve seen such a strong contradiction within 2 sentences in a long time. I’m only talking about ping, but server coding and hardware is irrelevant. What? lol

Try learning to read?

That hardware / coding effects performance, is totally irrelvant to the point – that people simplistically using the average ping as some sort of evidence of a quality/fast enough connection, are utterly wrong, because it fails to take account of things like spike frequency or packet loss.

That you need this explained, again, is mystifying.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

EVE Online, a true PvP game, is hosted in a single server cluster in the UK, yet hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world have no latency issues connecting to that datacenter.

The separation between NA and EU is killing WvW, and ultimately your player base. Hopefully you will reconsider when you realize that the long term viability of GW2 is very much linked to how much fun players have in WvW.

And yet, you are not playing that TRUE PvP game.

The way eve function is not the same as the way guild wars 2 function. Also just to add, there is no real reason for arenanet to bother making a world server since it serves no real purpose. The nature of WvW make it so that such a thing will not work.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Humpink.2306

Humpink.2306

And yet, you are not playing that TRUE PvP game.

The way eve function is not the same as the way guild wars 2 function. Also just to add, there is no real reason for arenanet to bother making a world server since it serves no real purpose. The nature of WvW make it so that such a thing will not work.

How do you know what I play? My first EVE character was created on October 28 2003 and that account is still active. Thanks for making a comment that has nothing to do with whether or not people can have a decent connection to a single datacenter. Your contribution is appreciated.

No one is talking about a single world server either, don’t know why you assumed that. The point is that there is no reason to not just have servers at one location in the world and remove the NA/EU separation. I guess you just didn’t really read or comprehend this thread.

Merge the EU/US Servers

in WvW

DerCosinus.5964

The only thing that is killing WvW for us Europeans, and that is killing the European-Player Base, is the way NA-Guilds think WvW is got to played: go to an EU-Server and drive out those People from their Server by PvD!
You haven´t seen an Enemy for hours? Who cares?!
No Deffenders because they sleep? Who cares?!
Only Challenge is how fast will you get the Doors down? Who cares?!

You really think by moving to an EU-Server will bring the other Servers to the perception “Oh! We also need an NA-Guild here!”?
Nope. They will only say: “Well… Thanks for annoying us! Next Game!”

There are 24 Servers in NA and you seek your challenge in Offpeak-PvD in Europe? Are the Keepdoors and Keeplords in Europe harder?
Oh wait… If you play on NA-Server there might be some deffenders and that whould be…Wow! Real Players? Not only NPC´s? To hard!

Do you really think that we think how skilled you are by doing that?

Sure. A-Net will not change anything. By changing the System they would admit they made a Mistake. And as we all know: “Its never a Software-Mistake! Its a Feature!”