[Merged] Skill lag issue

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Anet needs to invest in

A) Better hardware (easy, but $$)- scale up)
B) Improved parallelization – scale out – being able to add more servers. That’s probably above the pay grade of everyone they still have working on GW2.

It’s not going to happen. If WvW type warfare is your bread and butter, we should just hold a collective wake and move on. The resources for a solution are not available.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Rajel.8432

Rajel.8432

Wvw is unplayable, skil lag everywhere even when there are not huge fights and this is not fun Anet. Do you think you can fix it or we have to play in this way for long time? I don’t think I can play with this skil lag for long time, I hope you can do something and mostly tell us something because it seems you didn’t get this problem.

Thank you.

Rajel Wildcard [TT]

(edited by Rajel.8432)

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Thornbjorn.1357

Thornbjorn.1357

I completely agree with you, can’t use skill, can’t see damage coming, can’t use finisher. It’s unplayable

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Tucker.1547

Tucker.1547

Yes, i can’t play wvwvw because the skill lag… and it seems that the others server doesn’t have this problem..
p.s.: I’m on seafarer’s rest i don’t know if I’m the only one but after the last patch (wvwvw season) there is too much skill lag and i can’t hit them with the skill number 1 of the weapon and my graphic options are all lowest.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

…can’t use finisher. It’s unplayable

Forget the gems I spent on all those finishers. I just want to be able to use ‘1’ attack. I am not even asking for healing to work. Just ‘1’ would be great…

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin.8460

Merlin.8460

Yes all player’s can’t play so for a long time,is not very much fun,so also i hope you arenanet will do something very soon,thanks a lot for this. Goodbye

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Fowidner.6930

Fowidner.6930

skill lag makes wvw unplayable, i can’t use my heals or give other boons…

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: manulato.2897

manulato.2897

He’s right, WvW guilds need some answers. How long we continue to fight in this way ? We can’t play ! Please help ! We like wvw, but lagg is destroyng it !

[DoRF] Italian gaming community – Leader
http://www.dorfcommunity.it/

(edited by manulato.2897)

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: SmokeyJeffM.5428

SmokeyJeffM.5428

Rajel, I could not agree with you more. I am in Stormbluff Isle and the lag in WvW is absolutely terrible. It is definitely at the point to where it is unplayable and you just die because you can’t use any of your skills. If you can use a skill it takes such a long time to activate. I know this is not my pc, I have 2 7970’s and an Intel 2600K that’s overclocked to 4.8 Ghz and Prime 95 tested for a week straight with zero errors (So my overclock is stable and that is not the issue here, plus all other games I play are fine). I have even tried putting all graphic settings to low in the game and same thing happens, can’t use my skills anytime I get around a zerg.

I thought since the game has been out now for a year that Arena.net would have fixed this issue since it is definitely their problem and not ours. But it seems they don’t care about their customers enough.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

i have to agree over here, siting betwen 50 enemy’s with 30 ally’kittening eachother for 0 damage for 2 minutes
we move back a bit then damage start working
guardian staff autoattack ftw? cmon we can do better then this

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

They will never fix the skill lag. They have said time and time again they would and it has never improved. Its so much worse now with leagues than it has ever been.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Zenion.7543

Zenion.7543

I agreed and want to pile on. This lag is insane lately making WvW unplayable. It creates so much frustration to try and even move about in the world let alone get into combat with anyone. I was running solo in SoR BL tonight and couldn’t even eat food! Shame on you Anet. Get some good servers and low latency connections. Those of us who spend time and money [real money] deserve better than this.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Darth.4329

Darth.4329

The Skill lag in WvW needs to be fixed please. I can’t even count how many times I’ve died when I should have. I couldn’t heal, use condition removal, couldn’t use any utilities, I’m lucky If I can roll heal and spam my number 1 skill. This scenario doesn’t make for a fair fight for either team. I’m extremely tired of losing fights, tower and camps to WvW skill lag… The solution is not to simply tell people that WvW was never ment for massive zergs and that we should just roll around in small havoc groups. I know just as well as every other player knows… This simple isn’t going to happen. Nor is is possible to enforce this behavior without ruining wvw. The solution is to fix the issue server side. I don’t know what that entails. I do know that The skill lag continues to get worse making the WvW environment unplayable and frustrating. Please…. let us know what you can do to fix this issue. We love WvW… but hate losing to skill lag. it’s simply unacceptable. I know I play BF2 and BF3 on pc.. 64 players vs 64 players with Very little if any lag at all. So I know it doesn’t need to be like this.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Scarran.9845

Scarran.9845

Again this evening WvW was unplayable, I don’t mind dying when you know its down to numbers or to someone who is better skilled than you.

But its even more annoying dying as a result of the server, something that is outwith your control. This problem has been around for a while but its only since this latest patch that it has become a really severe problem. Before it was mega large zerg fests as in 3 full blobs all located in the one area but now its happening to 2 medium sized blobs.

I do not know what it is in the last patch that has created this woeful performance in WvW but what is the point in playing WvW when you cant do anything other than watch your health tick down and die. It’s also not about a influx of players because of the new league because higher tier servers have always had full queues during prime time and sometimes more and the skill lag has never ever been this bad.

People login to WvW to play the game not sit and hit your keys in the hope that even 1 skill actually fires off. Where is the enjoyment in that?

Axere – lvl 80 Necro
Nemmeister – lvl 80 Engineer
Jay Knot – lvl 80 Warrior | Rusty Colt – lvl 80 Thief

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Ace.6327

Ace.6327

No joke, spent alot of money on gems transfering my guild , and far too much time training and gearing up for seasons to put up with this. Anet needs to get their act together. Might I suggest NOT adding a new event every week, that only ends up with issues that needs patches? or if you MUST add more PvE can you at least NOT IGNORE the adverse effects your events have on WvW , completely unacceptable!!! …. still have my FFXIV account , I am , by no means, tied down to a bad game. Fix it, that is all.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Sanlucifer.1742

Sanlucifer.1742

Seriously like what can we do to fix the skill lag and the lag in general in WvW? like can we all donate money to you ANET? so u can buy a more stable server? or like can we maybe donate gold to hire better programmers ? or is just going to be like this forever? let us know!

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

It’s not going to happen. If WvW type warfare is your bread and butter, we should just hold a collective wake and move on. The resources for a solution are not available.

I think a big portion of the GW2 player population is just WvW players, and when WvW fails, GW2 fails, SPvP failed already, and PvE is just temp content that is completed in 1-3 hours and deleted in 2 weeks, this game is on its way out.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The skill lag in WvW is not Anet’s fault. It is a core latency problem in distributed system and latency between network nodes and the client/server side.

Of course its their fault through a combination of:

- lack of sufficient hardware,
- failure to properly cap the maps at a level the servers can support,
- a combat engine that is clearly not optimised, and
- development that clearly does not take the hardware limitations into account.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

DAoC could have 500+ player fights at keeps with no lag.

Bullkitten it’s not their fault, why could a game made 12 years ago be lag free but not a game made a year ago?

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

How come Warhammer in its late state did not lagg in 200+ battles? It also had better combatlogs, more skills, more cooldowns, higher aoe caps and is from 2008.

LOLOLOL

Ever hear of the brightwizard lagstorm?

Yeah…

Every single keep fight was a lagfest until the game became unpopular enough.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

The skill lag in WvW is not Anet’s fault. It is a core latency problem in distributed system and latency between network nodes and the client/server side.

Be glad that there is a game that allows 300 people on one map from 2-3 different continents all a the same time. Even a normal multiplayer game with 16 players on the map has lag on a 100Mbits network and dedicated servers.

So try to enjoy the game because the skill lag on a full queued map is not going to be fixed and it out of any software developer hands.

Apparently you don’t understand skill lag or you would know, it has nothing to do with coordinating where people are or distributed networks and latency, it is purely a CPU processing/memory issue. When a lot of people get together and start to try to use a number of abilities at the same time….there are a lot of calculations that get run, (Position coordinates for each player, who gets hit by what, who dodged what etc.) Along with all the damage calculations….hard damage, condition damage….etc. When that happens, it causes a strain on processing power of the server…at a certain point the server can no longer register new abilities because it’s overloaded….thus everyone who is connected that box/server (aka people on the map) cannot use skill abilities until the resources are freed up…nothing to do with people in different countries etc.

Edit: While yes, getting the coordinates from the client and relaying it to the server does take a minuscule amount of time..it is not the bottle neck that ends up causing the skill lag

So why don’t they just get servers with faster cpu’s?

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: nickiehu.1674

nickiehu.1674

Because it’s a cash-issue, such changes cost $$$, something ArenaNet doesn’t want to spend, it seems. They know this problem for months but nothing came out of it.
Besides – what’s Arena’s way of earning money? Right, selling stuff like special animated picks, costumes and so on, something WvWler don’t really need. So WHY invest in something, that is considered to give no money back? (Even though WvW is a big figurehead).

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

why a person should waste his time writing a post about something he clearly doesn’t know at all ?

there are tons of mmos out there with your so called “epic battles” and no lag.

back in 2002 in daoc we could inc a relic keep with 150/200 ppl fighting in the same zone and with no skill lag. (there were fps problems but skills worked)

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

How come Warhammer in its late state did not lagg in 200+ battles? It also had better combatlogs, more skills, more cooldowns, higher aoe caps and is from 2008.

LOLOLOL

Ever hear of the brightwizard lagstorm?

Yeah…

Every single keep fight was a lagfest until the game became unpopular enough.

oh yea, I remember those first fortress sieges. entire zones would crash. eventually they cut lowbie players out of it, then put a cap on how many people could be there, then they removed most npcs, before completely removing fortresses.

it did handle larger fights without the lag we have in gw2 tho, but at the same time there was no active dodging/blocking, no “real” projectiles and something like a 2 seconds global cooldown on skills which probably played a huge part in reducing lag.

anyway, lag needs to be fixed by any means possible, we need at least some new information on whats being done to remedy the situation.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: draugris.9872

draugris.9872

Be glad that there is a game that allows 300 people on one map from 2-3 different continents all a the same time. Even a normal multiplayer game with 16 players on the map has lag on a 100Mbits network and dedicated servers.

So try to enjoy the game because the skill lag on a full queued map is not going to be fixed and it out of any software developer hands.

The skill lag is Arenanets fault, there are already red posts confirming this. It is caused by CPU issues of the servers and bandwidth issues between the server and the client.

Mondsucht [MS] – Kodash

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Couple in the removal of culling, the increased Metas of Conditions and Buff stacking and BOOM goes the dynamite.

King Have it spotted on.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Apparently you don’t understand skill lag or you would know, it has nothing to do with coordinating where people are or distributed networks and latency, it is purely a CPU processing/memory issue. When a lot of people get together and start to try to use a number of abilities at the same time….there are a lot of calculations that get run, (Position coordinates for each player, who gets hit by what, who dodged what etc.) Along with all the damage calculations….hard damage, condition damage….etc. When that happens, it causes a strain on processing power of the server…at a certain point the server can no longer register new abilities because it’s overloaded….thus everyone who is connected that box/server (aka people on the map) cannot use skill abilities until the resources are freed up…nothing to do with people in different countries etc.

Edit: While yes, getting the coordinates from the client and relaying it to the server does take a minuscule amount of time..it is not the bottle neck that ends up causing the skill lag

What you are saying actually makes sense. I hope that I am wrong and this can be fixed in the future.

You are wrong.. skill lag is not being caused by the same issues that affect individuals own game lagging.. otherwise why does it only affect skills and everyone at the same time… its a server side calculation threshold issue and something only ANET can do anything about. Our own connection latency for sure can have issues but that would affect movement, sound, skills, inventory, etc. Granted it can help to make the situation worse for the individual but this lagmonster is a tricksie one and nothing we or our own ISP’s can do about it

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: grubnick.7849

grubnick.7849

I suspect that it is a bandwidth issue where packets are getting dropped. Tonight I was in a huge 3 way battle in EB and the lag was horrendous. Skills would not activate and even auto attacks barely hit anything even when right on top of an enemy. This has been normal for big battles.

My suspicion is that the bandwidth and cpu usage scales quadratically: a doubling of the number of players requires four times the bandwidth. Imagine 10 players where each player’s actions have to be transmitted to each other player by the server. There will be 10*10=100 messages to all the players. Double the number of players to 20 and the number of messages will be 20*20=400. Consider that battles can have several hundred players in a close area – assume 300 – and the number becomes 300*300=90,000. That is if each player takes just one action each.

It appears that the server must approve of actions such as heals before they can activate on the player’s computer. Skills often may affect other team mates or enemies in the immediate area when factoring in traits or runes/sigils, so it makes sense that the server needs this information.

A network can only handle a finite amount of packets. Anything above the maximum is lost. When it takes 30 seconds to activate a heal skill, it is probably due to blind luck for that packet to make it to the server, get processed, and get back to the client computer. And mashing that heal button – that seems to do nothing – just adds to the network congestion for every button press. More congestion equals more packet loss. The problem compounds itself.

Thief main plus a few alts – Sanctum of Rall

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

You should try Planetside 2, then. I don’t know how they do it but it works pretty good.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

In the end of the day GW2 is published by NCSoft. It is the company that can allow purchases of resources if I’m not mistaken which means the most ANet can do is give you some tissue to soak up your tears. :/

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Piteous.4165

Piteous.4165

I played a game 10 years ago called Silkroad that had an area for large battles, 300 people, and there was no lag, that was 10 YEAARS ago.

Blackgate
Stay frosty! Keep it tight!

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: dan.3618

dan.3618

game is on a countdown at the moment with this much lag a bit of lag is one thing but this much lag is a broken game, I give it a month before mass quitting.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Daendur.2357

game is on a countdown at the moment with this much lag a bit of lag is one thing but this much lag is a broken game, I give it a month before mass quitting.

1 month is too much, I think.
the problem is that dedicated wvw players will quit, one by one.
Slowly population will go down and the lag with it….
… but wvw players will be elsewhere

(edited by Daendur.2357)

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Serkz.3140

Serkz.3140

The skill lag in WvW is not Anet’s fault.

Hi, I manage websites with both static HTML and web-based applications. During peak hours, the loading time took way longer than it should so I immediately upgraded to servers with solid state drives. It was quite costly but the lag magically banished.

Skill lag due to slow servers is not the gamers fault. I do acknowledge that upgrades can be very expensive and since Anet doesn’t charge monthly fees, I don’t see how an immediate upgrade can help their ROI. They do need to make money after all. Maybe they’ll consider upgrading if wvw represented a more significant chunk of their revenue. I’m not speaking for them, just rationalizing.

80 ele | wolf rank | Bgate

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: playandchill.3908

playandchill.3908

Skill laag is Anet fault

[LANI] Multi glad pewpew

QUIT- RETIRED

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

The problem cannot be solved easily and it is neither a network nor a computing performance issue.

If it were one of both simply upgrades could solve it. And computing and network power can be increased on demand these days. Would be no biggie.

stopped reading here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering

You dont establish peering connections on demand these days, but maybe your experience with carrier/ISP backbones excels mine because i just work a couple of jears in this business.

All traffic regarding GW2 goes to the states, all gameservers are located there an the carrier of NCSOFT is Level3. Since 1 Jear all connections from providers like german telekom and others to level3 are overloaded and as much as those providers wish, peering connections arent build on the fly because no one earns money with those connections.

(edited by Kontrolle.3514)

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Because it’s a cash-issue, such changes cost $$$, something ArenaNet doesn’t want to spend, it seems. They know this problem for months but nothing came out of it.
Besides – what’s Arena’s way of earning money? Right, selling stuff like special animated picks, costumes and so on, something WvWler don’t really need. So WHY invest in something, that is considered to give no money back? (Even though WvW is a big figurehead).

Yes, servers cost money, and the issues are mainly in WvW, but I have skill lag all the time when playing in the normal world also so I dont see why Anet isnt addressing this issue, they need to and fast, before all players are posting on the forums.

When WvW players start to leave because of this, skill lag might go away for PvErs, but what will PvErs do about all their free world bonuses that came from WvW that those players got for them and worked all week to get for them? Server bonuses will start to disappear as WvW players start to leave, PvE players will start to make less and less money, Gem sales will dwindle, Anet will fall, mhm, called it a long time ago.

Watch them scramble for an expansion release to try and save the game. Don’t see that helping, what with the skill lag killing the game play, why would more data to the servers help this issue? Lets see what happens…

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I have no idea how you can compare Gw2 combat to Warhammer and think they can be put into the same basket like that.

In gw2 if you shoot a projectile directed at a target and another enemy just happens to get in between that one and not your original target will get hit.

The combat system here makes it so your hits land on enemies that projectiles/slashes come across in real time like it would really make sense for it to work.

Tab target combat where your hits hit only the one person you are aiming at (projectiles will go through other opponents and ingore them) and so forth is much more demanding that the simplistic bad combat of Warhammer(it’s combat was a wow clone, yet a thousand times less responce simple and required much less ability to play your class, warhammer combat was probably the worst i have seen in an MMO)

You cannot compare the most simple combat in an MMO to date to a MMO that has a very complex way of handling it.

You just cant.

But ofcourse there are things ANet can do to improve the current problem vastly, and they will do what they can(why wouldnt they XD)

(edited by Gathslan.1870)

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

I have no idea how you can compare Gw2 combat to Warhammer and think they can be put into the same basket like that.

In gw2 if you shoot a projectile directed at a target and another enemy just happens to get in between that one and not your original target will get hit.

The combat system here makes it so your hits land on enemies that projectiles/slashes come across in real time like it would really make sense for it to work.

Tab target combat where your hits hit only the one person you are aiming at (projectiles will go through other opponents and ingore them) and so forth is much more demanding that the simplistic bad combat of Warhammer(it’s combat was a wow clone, yet a thousand times less responce simple and required much less ability to play your class, warhammer combat was probably the worst i have seen in an MMO)

You cannot compare the most simple combat in an MMO to date to a MMO that has a very complex way of handling it.

You just cant.

But ofcourse there are things ANet can do to improve the current problem vastly, and they will do what they can(why wouldnt they XD)

What you say is true, however the issue still remains that “simple combat engines” are/were working and while ANET outdid themselves with a superbly designed game (in theory) the practical application of it fails at an alarming rate.

Lots of people have the ability to design very innovative, evolutionary/revolutionary things in all walks of life (not just gaming). But if the technology/engineering is not there to support it then it cannot hope to be successful.

My point: why are we concerned with how awesome this game’s concept was when obviously it cannot even be operated to its full design? I feel as though most people would have been happier with “more simplified” system that could be ran to 100% of its design.

Mag Server Leader

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Daendur.2357

You just cant.

WAR has body physics… no calculation needed , uh ?

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Jharkin.9357

Jharkin.9357

Warhammer pulled some know how from DAOC and used a distributed system that scaled fairly well when dealing with large numbers of people in small areas. I know some of the original devs along with Mark and they were all pretty happy with it. The more users in an area, which was created dynamically and not just zones, the more computers would be used in that area. Now, with virtualization (vms) where it is, this is even easier.

Regretfully, using a distributed system that scales needs to be thought about when the system was originally written and is hard to shoehorn in later. Once the cpu issue is solved there are other issues you would hit such as updating the clients on locations and effects.

For those saying memory is an issue, lol.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

You just cant.

WAR has body physics… no calculation needed , uh ?

If you think War and gw2 combat systems can be compared when it comes to how taxing they are you must be blind ; p

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Jharkin.9357

Jharkin.9357

If you think War and gw2 combat systems can be compared when it comes to how taxing they are you must be blind ; p

Taxing is pretty much a mute issue as long as your system scales and have the money to throw in additional compute nodes. Plus, the servers now have exponentially more computational power as those that originally ran War.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

It is a core latency problem in distributed system and latency between network nodes and the client/server side.

Elaborate, please.

He’s basically saying that it’s a technical limitation with CPU power/bandwidth. It’s certainly not limited to GW2. And it’s more because cpu processes/data transfer increases logarithmically, not linearly, with the number of players in a battle.

In short, servers aren’t fast enough in general for that kind of real time process. So realistically, if you want less skill lag, you have to reduce something else like AoE cap or player limits in maps.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Brandon Boyd.2456

Brandon Boyd.2456

But the problem is it is anet fault for having servers that can not handle the limets they set. They can get better servers than can handle the load or lower the number of effects or numbers in WvW.

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

It is a core latency problem in distributed system and latency between network nodes and the client/server side.

Elaborate, please.

He’s basically saying that it’s a technical limitation with CPU power/bandwidth. It’s certainly not limited to GW2. And it’s more because cpu processes/data transfer increases logarithmically, not linearly, with the number of players in a battle.

In short, servers aren’t fast enough in general for that kind of real time process. So realistically, if you want less skill lag, you have to reduce something else like AoE cap or player limits in maps.

And therein lies the problem. If they cannot solve the skill lag problem via engine optimization or throwing more hardware at it, then they have to reduce the map caps. The game needs be able to handle close to worst case scenarios, which is every player, from all three servers, in one place, all attacking each other. If it doesn’t, then the number of players needs to be reduced to the point where it does or close to it. However, reduced map caps will increase queues, which are broken and are definitely not FIFO, and to make things worse, there is no report of estimated wait time which is absolutely necessary. They can’t reduce the caps until they fix the queues, and if they do, it would ultimately break up some of the larger server communities.

All in all it’s a crappy situation with no easy solutions.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

^

Which is why they need a new map or two in tandem with reducing map cap.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

^

Which is why they need a new map or two in tandem with reducing map cap.

Yep which is why I believe they will be reducing the map caps (to what extent: who knows) once the “queue maps” are released.

The biggest issue is that when they established their “baseline” for this game to operate in terms of WvW, it did not take into account 3 servers pooling all of their players on the map into 1 spot in 1 huge fight. (100% of the map in a 1v1v1) And it really should have, or the worse reality was that the number-cap was so low (if they did take 100% of the map population fighting each other into account) when they realized it: skill lag was a better option at the time.

When you design a system with limits, you have to take into account the worst case scenarios, (in this case the largest server load) you could possibly have to set those “limits” (in this case: map caps).

Think about it for a second, when do you get skill lag? Usually the larger fights involving all 3 servers or 2 servers with large amounts of people. So if you get skill lag in a 30v30v30 (90 players) then the cap would have likely had to been lower than 30 players per server, in which case skill lag would have obviously been a better (but still not good) decision to live with.
(All of those numbers are just pulled from thin air, there are too many variables to be assigned to get a true hard number on actual combatants it takes to create skill lag 100% of the time I would guess.)

Mag Server Leader

(edited by King Amadaeus.8619)

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Mixistrike.7840

Mixistrike.7840

We need a solution, some server are impossible to play…. 40×40 players, the server ask for water

[Merged] Skill lag issue

in WvW

Posted by: Arondrinor.5307

Arondrinor.5307

I’m a Seafarer’s Rest player. When we fight with Piken Square there is no lag. When Vizunah Square involves to fight we can not use skills. Yes skill lag is Vizunah Square’s fault. So Vizunah Square do not involve our fights with Piken. Also Piken you should not join our fights with Vizunah. Problem solved!

Oh WvW is a 3 server fight. I forgot that little detail.

(edited by Arondrinor.5307)