Merging Two Tiers To Refine WvW

in WvW

Posted by: VaticanIscariot.1732

VaticanIscariot.1732

There could be a way to make WvW in low tier servers more vibrant and active. I’ve played WvW on Jade Quarry, Fort Aspen, Emry Bay, and Sea of Sorrows.

They can merge tiers to form a new tier. For example:

Tier 10
Server A
Server B
Server C
Tier 11
Server D
Server E
Server F

The matchup would be a new Tier 10 (eliminate Tier 11)
A + F vs B + E vs C + D

You have the best server from Tier 10 playing on the same team with the worst server from Tier 11. The medium server from Tier 10 plays with medium server from Tier 11. Worst server from Tier 10 plays with best server from Tier 11.

Of course it is a bit over-simplified. It would require Arenanet will have to look at population data, server performance and other factors to determine if it is warranted.

Keep in mind, the server will keep its identity and is not a SERVER-SERVER merge. It favors both the server/players and it helps Arenanet save face.

The tiers will keep getting eliminated and the new ones refined. If it doesn’t work, the tier merge can be de-merged.

Top tier complain about fighting same people. Bottom tier complain about dead WvW. Seems to make sense, other than not do anything and let the corpse fester and rot.

It is kinda like EoTM, where it gives low tier servers a better opportunity to get into active fights.

in WvW

Posted by: Rei Hino.5961

Rei Hino.5961

that sounds like an awesome idea actually but the only thing I think of is the amount of people per borderland ot the que time will be alot worse then T1. ;_; but your idea be like a compresses version of Eadge of the mist people not on your server you would just see as green but with a default name like Red, Green, or Blue.

in WvW

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

I suggested this months ago. However, it would probably work better if you used the best EU and the worse NA and the best NA with the worse EU. The top tier servers are power houses and do not need much help. Two mid tier servers would cover a lot of their gap times.

in WvW

Posted by: VaticanIscariot.1732

VaticanIscariot.1732

I suggested this months ago. However, it would probably work better if you used the best EU and the worse NA and the best NA with the worse EU. The top tier servers are power houses and do not need much help. Two mid tier servers would cover a lot of their gap times.

I don’t think EU and NA merge would be very good because of the distance issue. You would be forcing EU players to play on a server located in NA or forcing NA players to play on a server located in EU. There would be a latency issue, i’d imagine… unless arenanet hosts a server somewhere in the middle of the atlantic.

in WvW

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

It isn’t that bad. I have played on EU servers and didn’t notice much lag. I know IRON played on SoR and never really complained. Just switch it up. Sometimes you play in NA other times you play in EU.

in WvW

Posted by: TehHobNob.4687

TehHobNob.4687

I believe this is an awesome idea…. however….. If I was ANET I would never do it. The news story would be (and yes it would be a big one)…. “GuildWars2 has to merge servers only after a year and a half of its release because of a shortage of players.” It would look terrible. I believe they would not risk that even if this gives an overall better experience.

Pancakes
Thief

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

we don’t need to merge servers, we need to split up the bigger ones.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by GrandmaFunk.3052)

in WvW

Posted by: TehHobNob.4687

TehHobNob.4687

Im going to be honest and didn’t read your full post through. You later stated that the servers would keep their identity and would not fully “merge.” I’m sorry I was an impatient fool. This is a great idea

Pancakes
Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

It isn’t that bad. I have played on EU servers and didn’t notice much lag. I know IRON played on SoR and never really complained. Just switch it up. Sometimes you play in NA other times you play in EU.

Unless you’re oceanic and end up adding an extra 150-300 ping traveling to europe instead of america. You guys will never get used to thinking about anyone other than yourself, will you? :p

in WvW

Posted by: Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Cantur Soulfyre.5409

There is no need to actually merge servers. They have shown with EotM that multiple servers can join on the same side of the same map against multiple servers on the “other” sides. Just merge WvW instances between servers so that NA and EU servers play together.

Cantar Soulfyre-Norn W|Canter Soulfyre-Human G|Cantirus Foghorn – Charr R
Born and raised in Sorrow’s Furnace – WvWvWest Coast Squad
“All hail the mighty Flame Ram!!!” – said by Someone Somewhere at Sometime

in WvW

Posted by: Kvothe.1467

Kvothe.1467

put the servers on the western most Azores Islands…

I feel emotions when I think about you.

in WvW

Posted by: Caroline.4987

Caroline.4987

I think they’ve already responded at some point before when this was brought up during the Collaborative Dev thread that EU and NA servers playing together wasn’t feasible without way too much tech work…

I mean, there’s gotta be a reason why you can guest to any NA server but not to any EU one…they probably just extended that function for EoTM…

Brynnhylde – Norn Warrior, Jehanette – Human Guardian, Shaelynne – Human Engineer
TrZ | Stormbluff Isle