Mesmer Portals, one skill to rule them all

in WvW

Posted by: KinkyWarrior.1879

KinkyWarrior.1879

Okay so I disagree with the portal needing to be limited. Lately I’ve seen the portal become way less effective in WvWvW purely because players are now more aware. I believe the portal shouldn’t be nerfed as it is a massively valid tactic in a lot of cases.

For example; Your attacking Stonemist and you just broke the inner gates, your forces are trying their hardest to get through but then the enemy have a stupid amount of Ballista’s aiming down those small tunnels, its slaughter. But then I come along with a Mesmer portal, use all my little tricks and such and get the portal behind the enemy Ballistas. In a lot of cases this is the only way my server has been able to break through the defences there. There are many other times I can use a Mesmer portal to take out a bigger number. Which could also be stopped by simply using a little common sense.

Yes the culling is a problem which I believe needs to be solved but the Mesmer portals themselves are not. 9/10 a Mesmer Portal wont work if you AoE the living hell out of it when it appears.

On the topic of Mesmer’s hiding in the keep, I’m a little torn on this. In the bay keeps mainly the problem is, to much underwater to hide in. But on the other hand most keeps and Stonemist itself, is not too difficult and time consuming to sweep. Literally a couple of minutes that’s it.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

in WvW

Posted by: Simi.9342

Simi.9342

Portal is far from OP it’s just a portal which you can see clearly on the ground before anyone enters it anyway. If it gets a nerf from rendering all thief classes should lose the chance to cloak invisibility cause it lasts for like 40 seconds cause of the rendering that is OP yet I ain’t here moaning and whining for a nerf I fight them invisible and funny enough I still win nearly all the time!! I play a guardian I don’t have any friends who play as a mesmer I have been killed from mesmers using portal technique and that is exactly what it is a technique you learn to counter it plain and simple. Once rendering is sorted portal will still be used just probably not as much.

As for the 5 man thing you keep spouting about I have never noticed this on my guardian which is lvl 80 my shouts I find effect more than just 5 people.

Personally though if you don’t like how things are right now just stick to PVE or find another game till the rendering is fixed don’t sit on the forum complaining trying to get other classes nerfed cause you can’t play!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Iil.7349

Iil.7349

Lol. We use this tactic, too – because everybody uses it. It’s too easy and works almost every time. If your enemy is prepared and you’re “smart”, use a second mesmer and do a second portal. When they put all of their AOE on the fake portal, roflstomp them from the other portal.

It’s boring, because it’s not really a fight, it’s a (short) massacre. And it’s effective, that’s why people use it. Don’t use it: lose.

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodthirst.5486

Bloodthirst.5486

how is getting 10 mesmers at all challenging if you have a guild? I have a guild of about 100 and have at least 5 mesmers. If you can’t get a few more from your map chat then your server needs some serious improvements.

in WvW

Iil.7349

It definitely needs more effort and preparation to put 10 portals on the ground, split your army in 10 groups à 5 people and send 10 mesmers alive to the enemy. Doesn’t it?

Currently it’s one mesmer, one portal, one bunch of people -> profit.

(edited by Iil.7349)

in WvW

Posted by: Ergo Proxy.6219

Ergo Proxy.6219

My problem with mesmer portal is I enjoy playing both my mesmer and my necromancer. But at the moment there is no real reason to bring my necromancer over my mesmer.

Really even if I level up another class theres just no ability out there that is strong enough to compete with portal.

Its not about portal being “uncounterable” or “Unfair”, its the face that portal pretty clearly outclasses every other utility slot in the game in terms of the options it opens up for a player in WvW.

Either it needs to be nerfed or we need to see engineers with bombs strong enough to take down walls in short order, ect.

in WvW

Iil.7349

Either it needs to be nerfed or we need to see engineers with bombs strong enough to take down walls in short order, ect.

Good point. Every class should have a skill like that to decide large battles (please not) or none of them.

Portal tactic is superior to flanking the enemy, taking more entries at the same times, using siegeweapons or any other tactic. It doesn’t cost anything, has a very short set-up time, is effective and works almost everytime. The whole tactic in this game, especially in large fights, is: bring a mesmer and win. Way too easy. Way too boring.

I just want more tactical opportunities how to fight battles, not just that one thing.

in WvW

Posted by: Kelo.4370

Kelo.4370

My problem with mesmer portal is I enjoy playing both my mesmer and my necromancer. But at the moment there is no real reason to bring my necromancer over my mesmer.

Really even if I level up another class theres just no ability out there that is strong enough to compete with portal.

Its not about portal being “uncounterable” or “Unfair”, its the face that portal pretty clearly outclasses every other utility slot in the game in terms of the options it opens up for a player in WvW.

This 1000%. The primary reason for Mesmer Portal being a issue is that it is so powerful that it is making that class more desired in WvW over other classes. This is completely against what ANet want’s they have to do something.

in WvW

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

Threads like this just prove some people will defend anything. Portal is quite clearly an odd skill out when you consider the basic setup of this game. This game is not set up around bringing particular classes to furfill particular roles and they’ve said over and over again they don’t want an EQ-style game where you have to bring a cleric to heal and a warrior to tank.

Portal is simply not remotely like any other skill in the game. It just doesn’t fit. The rendering issue makes it especially bad but even without that issue it just makes zero sense to give a game-changing skill like portal to only one class.

If every other class also got a similarly unique, game-changing utility skill that would be one thing…but they don’t. Guardians come maybe the closest.

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.4097

Deli.4097

Here is a thought, let’s do away with classes so no one has access to any ability that anyone else does not have. We can all just play an identikit class, that way no one can cry for nerfs because any class has something that they do not and no class will have any different ‘value’ than any other. Who needs teamplay! /sarcasm.

So this month it seems it is mesmers attracting the class envy, wonder who it is going to be next?

Fixing all the bugs each class has first before looking into balance and wielding the nerf bat would be a much better idea, class envy is pathetic and nerfing is not always the best game plan.

in WvW

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

Whaaahhh why do you want to nerf everything???
I like having an unbalanced crap skill!
whaaahhhh go back to playing WoW if you want things nerfed!
Don’t you know GW2 is absolutly perfect and working just as intended and there isn’t any oversights or unbalances.
Whaaahhhh you already want them to take away the ability to speed hack and fly and steal orbs, which is obviously what Anet wanted all along.
Anet obviously wanted Mesmers to have the only skill that gives a single person such the ability to summon an unlimited amount of people. Why do people think Anet wanted you to have to actually defend a keep with siege equipment and organization when they cleary made it so you can just stand in a group click one button and port right behind an army.
Anet just put in waypoints as a trick to get you to waste effort and money untill everyone figures out that you can just having walking waypoints running around.
Anet even stated that they didnt want all professions to have equal opportunity and effectivness in WvW, they wanted to have one profession have a single skill that is more powerfull then all the others. This was to make up for the fact tht mesmers have butterflies around them all the time.

Quit whining you whiners if you take away the unbalanced ridiculously obused skills in the game then sucky ppl will go back to sucking.

Its like Deli so ingeniously put it you all just envy the Mesmers, you are pathetic.

in WvW

Posted by: Wittle.5473

Wittle.5473

Really? there is a 15 second window for people to use the portal, the entry portal only lasts 60 seconds AND it’s range is limited to radar range. To get alot of people to use it takes time and preparation and all servers can do this.

Personally, I barely use portal on my mesmer. Blink, Feedback and null field usually occupy mine.

Long story short, portal used well is a great tactic that is open to all servers. Stop complaining and start planning on how to use yours effectively. I think people are sensitive about the spell because exploiters use it in conjunction with wall hacks to get groups into keeps. Portal used legitimately is fine how it is.

in WvW

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

No, portal is not fine. Portal is a “bring the class” skill. No other class has anything remotely like it. GW2 isn’t supposed to be a “bring the class” game.

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

Really? there is a 15 second window for people to use the portal, the entry portal only lasts 60 seconds AND it’s range is limited to radar range. To get alot of people to use it takes time and preparation and all servers can do this.

Personally, I barely use portal on my mesmer. Blink, Feedback and null field usually occupy mine.

Long story short, portal used well is a great tactic that is open to all servers. Stop complaining and start planning on how to use yours effectively. I think people are sensitive about the spell because exploiters use it in conjunction with wall hacks to get groups into keeps. Portal used legitimately is fine how it is.

And what is one skill by another profession tht equals this “tactic”

Keep defending your crutch.

Just think who much would it cost if there was a siege plan that could construct a portal that an unlimited amount of ppl could enter. How much supply would you need to build it?

Flyhacking is also a “tactic” tht can be used by all servers genius

in WvW

Posted by: Blythepiper.6874

Blythepiper.6874

Im a mesmer, and the portal is a unique skill, but its sorta like Moa Bird, which people also complain about. But I feel that these unique skills are not OP for the simple fact that the conditions in which these skills are effective are extremely difficult to achieve. With portal, first you have to have a mesmer with talent to be able to hide or evade enemies long enough to be in a position to create a portal. Second, you have to have excellent communication with those who will be using the portal. They have to be in the right place at the right time all the while the mesmer has to there too and not be detected. You also have to have an enemy that has not been thorough enough clearing the area.

I myself have only been able to achieve one proper mass portal for my team. And that was only after trying many times to infiltrate and making my way through enemies trying to stay alive long enough to hide. I then communicated with the commander, and then he had to rally everyone(this is WvWvW remember, people listen so very well!) and get to the spot in just the right time….and all this had to be done before I was found. And even after that we were defeated because we were just too outnumbered once inside.
Yes, it is a powerful skill, but the pre and post portal conditions have to be perfect for it to be viable. You can’t just press a button and win.

I’m not a very good player in terms of one on one, I’m an old lady (over 30! OMG!)and if you pit me against the reflexes of a 14 year old kid I’ll get demolished. I have to use tactics, communication, evasion and intuition to contribute to the fight. And the portal is a skill that requires all of that in order to work.

Unique, absolutely. Overpowered….“chuckle” I would say no.

Blythepiper, Mesmer
Songs of Snow and Steel [SONG]
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Blythepiper.6874)

in WvW

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

No, portal is not fine. Portal is a “bring the class” skill. No other class has anything remotely like it. GW2 isn’t supposed to be a “bring the class” game.

Line of Warding.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in WvW

Wittle.5473

Flyhacking is an exploit genius. Also learn to read, portal is almost NEVER on my bar. It is hardly “my crutch”.

There are already limiting factors on how portal can be used. They are – Must be within radar range, exit portal must be put down within 60 seconds and there is a 15 second window to use the portal. If you cannot see a large group of people within radar range getting ready to use the portal and react accordingly (like watch where the bloody mesmer puts down the exit portal and position yourself) you deserve whatever is coming to you. How about learning spot a tactic and countering it rather than just saying it’s OP because you can’t do it.

Learn to take notice of your surroundings and stop crying when the other team is clearly working together more effectively than yours.

in WvW

Posted by: Vrumpt.1072

Vrumpt.1072

Flyhacking is an exploit genius. Also learn to read, portal is almost NEVER on my bar. It is hardly “my crutch”.

There are already limiting factors on how portal can be used. They are – Must be within radar range, exit portal must be put down within 60 seconds and there is a 15 second window to use the portal. If you cannot see a large group of people within radar range getting ready to use the portal and react accordingly (like watch where the bloody mesmer puts down the exit portal and position yourself) you deserve whatever is coming to you. How about learning spot a tactic and countering it rather than just saying it’s OP because you can’t do it.

Learn to take notice of your surroundings and stop crying when the other team is clearly working together more effectively than yours.

Betting all my money that this guy has a portal, and is mad, and likes roflstomping armies with invisible armies.

Fact is, portal is hard to counter. That makes it unbalanced. You can’t kill the portal once its down. Its instant cast so all the mesmer needs to do is sprint into the zerg with a speed buff and then its there for anybody to use and there isn’t anything the other team can do about it but try to counter whatever comes out. Whatever comes out is a problem because of the rendering issues, and its really hard to kill invisible armies. This fact makes using portals to transport mass armies almost an exploit, seeing as how the reason its so effective and why the other team “just gets massacred” is because they can’t freaking see you. Thief stealth breaks upon using an ability, so that isn’t an option for debate at all. Finally, because the nature of using mesmer portals in WvW is essentially a surprise attack, that makes it that much harder to prepare against what they bring.

So basically in a nutshell, a team who is getting portal’d on has to deal with an invisible army coming out of a portal they can’t close and the realization that this needs to be done has to happen in the time span of about 3-5 seconds, depending if anybody saw the mesmer lay the second portal or not, and how fast they can type a warning in map chat that nobody reads. Sounds pretty balanced to me /sarcasm.

in WvW

Posted by: Boggler.7519

Boggler.7519

It does have a limite 4000 yards, 60 seconds between dropping exit / entre
12 seconds open. And a Mesmer is just one guy that can easily be killed.

I’ve decided to stop doing what I am capable of doing and instead do what I love most.

in WvW

Wittle.5473

Betting all my money that this guy has a portal, and is mad, and likes roflstomping armies with invisible armies.

Fact is, portal is hard to counter. That makes it unbalanced. You can’t kill the portal once its down. Its instant cast so all the mesmer needs to do is sprint into the zerg with a speed buff and then its there for anybody to use and there isn’t anything the other team can do about it but try to counter whatever comes out. Whatever comes out is a problem because of the rendering issues, and its really hard to kill invisible armies. This fact makes using portals to transport mass armies almost an exploit, seeing as how the reason its so effective and why the other team “just gets massacred” is because they can’t freaking see you. Thief stealth breaks upon using an ability, so that isn’t an option for debate at all. Finally, because the nature of using mesmer portals in WvW is essentially a surprise attack, that makes it that much harder to prepare against what they bring.

So basically in a nutshell, a team who is getting portal’d on has to deal with an invisible army coming out of a portal they can’t close and the realization that this needs to be done has to happen in the time span of about 3-5 seconds, depending if anybody saw the mesmer lay the second portal or not, and how fast they can type a warning in map chat that nobody reads. Sounds pretty balanced to me /sarcasm.

Give me all your money cause you just lost that bet.

I suggest that you roll a mesmer, and see how you go trying to portal a large amount of people against a competent enemy. Off ya pop

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

Crutch.

Mesmer portal IS an exploit.
If it is not than Anet has some problems with what they think balanced is.

Your argument of L2P means nothing to me. I shouldnt have to learn to counter a skill that shouldnt be in the game.

“I suggest that you roll a mesmer, and see how you go trying to portal a large amount of people against a competent enemy. Off ya pop”

R u really saying its hard to run into a group and click one instant skill?

(edited by CriSPeH.8512)

in WvW

Wittle.5473

It is in game, it is working as intended. Is in no way an exploit. Perhaps you don’t know what an exploit is. This IS a learn to play issue for you.

Like multiple people have said, getting portal to work in the way that you are complaining about is a mammoth task which requires large amounts of people to follow directions in a small window of time all without the enemy (who are within 4000 yards) seeing them.

in WvW

Wittle.5473

I’m saying it only works when you have an inattentive enemy. If you pay the same amount of attention in game as you seem to be paying to reading my posts, it’s no wonder this is taking you by surprise.

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

“Hey everyone come stand in this spot, its behind the keep wall so don’t worry about the enemy seeing you”

“Once the portal option comes up just click it, you have 15 whole seconds”

“I am just going to jump down run 10ft and click one skill”

“Be sure to click dodge after you portal to counter anyone trying to AOE us, but dont worry you will be invisible for a few seconds”

Ya What a Mammoth task.

Yup keep defending the crutch

(edited by CriSPeH.8512)

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

How can you see them if they are inside?

in WvW

Wittle.5473

If they are already inside your keep, it’s because you failed at defending it. The portal didn’t get them in, your gate/wall falling down did. If a gate or wall didn’t fall down, they are exploiting so report them. Portal isn’t the problem if they’re exploiting.

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

What if you are attacking a keep?

in WvW

Posted by: Bren Ranger.3725

Bren Ranger.3725

Never played a Mesmer and never been in the position to use the portal either.. But i would hate to see this Utility go. We need skills like this.. and more of them. Stuff that can be used to really turn the tide of a battle or deploy large attacks using stratergy instead of zerging about aimlessly.

[HARD] ~Isle of Janthir~ Commander.
Bren the Ele
80: Thief, Mesmer, Ranger, Ele, Warrior.

in WvW

Wittle.5473

Portal is useful for flanking an attacking group. BUT, the amount of people that go through it would need to be in the keep defending it to begin with so could still easily destroy you from the walls or use seige to do the same thing.

You need a greater force of attackers to take down a heavily defended keep.

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

“Portal is useful for flanking an attacking group.”

Yup you said it, One player has a skill that can allow a whole group to insta flank an attacking army.

in WvW

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

Anet will probably just nerf ranger again instead of addressing issues that actually matter like this and rogue’s unlimited stealth in WvW caused by loading bug.

Maid Of The Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Haluwasa.2957

Haluwasa.2957

It’s all part of the game IMO. If their team can do it, so can yours. I imagine it’s quite fun for all mesmers, it’s what makes them so unique. If you are sick of getting hit by a golem sneak then organize your own group and use the same tactic. Don’t complain, adapt and become better at the game.

in WvW

Vayra.3290

“Portal is useful for flanking an attacking group.”

Yup you said it, One player has a skill that can allow a whole group to insta flank an attacking army.

And one player has an ability that allows him to single-handedly stop an attacking army from going through a door (chuck a few of them and you can permanently block a door, just like a few mesmers can keep portal-dancing making sure you never know where they’ll be hitting you next), yet I see no whining about that and it makes taking down the gate itself 100% futile since you can’t get through anyway.

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

what blocks doors?

in WvW

Vayra.3290

what blocks doors?

Guardian staff #5 (Line of Warding), it can completely block most doors.

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

but doesnt it go away after 5seconds?

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Limiting portal to 5 people will just mean more people will roll mesmers to support their raid. Every group will have a mandatory mesmer spot. It’s fine the way it is. I do thing AoE limit should be increased to 10 for spells or allow infinite number of pets/minions effected, 5 is beginning to cause groups to use tactics to exploit the 5 person limit.

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

I would rather it be multiple mesmers having to coordinate and time insta flank portals together than A single Mesmer having the ability to teleport an entire army by himself.

Its not fine the way it is it makes a Mesmer the most valueable profession in WvW, without a Mesmer this whole teleport and flank with a group wouldnt even be an option. They possess a completely unique skill that can grant a huge advantage to an unlimited amount of ppl.

But heh im no developer and I have already gotten my moneys worth from the game so its either:

Mesmers are a higher priority profession than any other in WvW and thats how Anet is going to keep it, even though they have said thats what they are trying to eliminate.
or
Its just another skill that people have found a way to abuse and it will get fixed.

So we will see in time, if they add a limit to it then you will know that the ppl complaining are right.
If they leave it as it is then you will know the people who are complaining are wrong…………………….and consequently so is Anet for claiming there would not be a higher priority profession

in WvW

Posted by: Tyrr.3841

Tyrr.3841

Opinion/Question 1: Why are you playing WORLD vs WORLD vs WORLD?
Opinion/Question 2: Why are you in GUILD wars 2?

if that’s not enough lets discuss it intellectually.
I will discuss this issue by sections: Balance issue, Inputs (what you put in for the portal to be effective), Risks, and Rewards.

How is the portal “OP” again? “OP” meaning it is unbalanced right?

Balance Issue:
The portal itself is not “OP” since it does little to nothing if no people used it.
I say that what you are saying are saying that 10/20/30 vs 10/20/30++ (with the portal) is nonesense. People should be ALREADY near where the portal was supposed to be landing before the portals would be dropped. Heck why drop it if you can walk and get from point A to point B at the same time as the mesmer does. The mesmer portals should be a FEW in-game “meters” for it to be even able to work. If it was like from half the map to another then that changes things relevantly.

Inputs:
If it was unbalanced then there should be more Rewards than your Inputs. For it to be meaningfully game changing like capturing a keep or a tower which is the reward, you have to have input there which is Coordination (and lots of them), Knowledge or Intel on the field (mesmers can be killed by 1 to three people and for ninja’ing towers or keeps you have to be sure no little to none are actually defending them), Patience (mesmer portals organizing takes so much time), and manpower (heck i can make a mesmer portal anywhere and won’t make sense if i’m alone will it?).

Risks:
You risks your whole raid team when you portal them. There are good and bad portals which can lead you to wiping the enemy or you getting wiped. Even after that, landing a good portal, the ones who got ported have few seconds that they are going to be confused. Those ported don’t know what they will actually be landing to unless you are sitting right beside the Mesmer who used the portal and know every single thing that is happening on the other side of the portal.

Rewards:
After the Inputs and Risks. There should definitely be rewards for all that coordinations, intel, organization, and the risks you should be able to take.

To sum it up:
It is a valid tactic/strategy that can work both ways. It is extremely hard to pull it through EFFECTIVELY. It is not something that everyone can do effectively, but if it is done right it will have great effects.

in WvW

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Most anything AoE related are 5 targets max. Mesmer ports is an exception and has no cap at all; infinite.

This needs explaining, imo, why one skill is excluded from the 5 target rule.

Bring the player, not the class.

Or in GW2 terms: bring the mesmer FTW.

(edited by fixit.7189)

in WvW

Tyrr.3841

Because aside from jumping puzzles, the intended purpose of the portals are surprise attacks. Which is a valid Strategy,Tactic specially used by strike teams. Now if you surprise lets say a group of 20 people with 5 people, wouldn’t that be laughable?

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

Tyrr-
What other single skill is there that when done correctly will net equal rewards?

in WvW

Posted by: Hard.9347

Hard.9347

That portal spell is being used EXACTLY how the people who designed this game intended it to be used. If you can’t find a defensive tactic to counter it, perhaps you’re just not skilled enough to play a game with advanced tactics like this one.

The enjoyment is experiencing the journey, not getting to the destination.

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

That portal spell is being used EXACTLY how the people who designed this game intended it to be used. If you can’t find a defensive tactic to counter it, perhaps you’re just not skilled enough to play a game with advanced tactics like this one.

Has Anet actually stated this or is it your opinion?

in WvW

Hard.9347

In lieu of evidence to the contrary, one must believe the obvious.

in WvW

Tyrr.3841

Crispeh
Thats exactly my point. What other skills do you think have this requirements like coordination, manpower, intel, resources and risks to be effective? Heck some skills are no-brainer click and win yet you bash a skill that actually has to have these requirements.

in WvW

Posted by: Raizjiel.4398

Raizjiel.4398

AoE Ground. Instant kill everyone coming through, gg.

Seriously though… people just need to keep complaining until they nerf this game into a piece of kitten. Maybe they should be more focused on fixing the rendering issue, fixing the ZvZvZ into an actual WvWvW, and then swinging the nerf bat on poorly balanced character classes. Instead blame it on portals, the massive neon pink blob on the ground… sigh.

Fail over 9000.

in WvW

Hard.9347

If a defense team cannot kill a solo mesmer within 60 seconds than clearly they don’t have enough people defending to begin with. Now consider the exit portal only lasts for 20 seconds if the mesmer can even live long enough to get to where he/she needs to place it.

Keeps are large yes, but how many access points does the mesmer have in the first place to get inside? Doesn’t seem that difficult to me to come up with a variety of counters for this single ability.

in WvW

Tyrr.3841

The other thing i forgot to mention is that if the mesmer is at combat which is prolonged by poisons and status or even without status the mesmer CANNOT drop the Point B portal.

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

I am entitled to my opinion.
Its bs skill tht should have a player limit.
Otherwise the Mesmer is the MVP of WvW.

Make a siege plan that will allow someone to construct a portal costing the team resources and effort. That I am fine with thats fair and even.

Making the Mesmer the only profession with such a high priority because of one skill. Meh

If Anet states that the portal is working exactly as they intended there will be no more complaints from me.