Mesmer portal play still effective?

in WvW

Posted by: Sidizen.9048

Sidizen.9048

Hi all,

I haven’t tried WvW in a while but I’m thinking of hopping on my Mesmer when I start to play it again this weekend. I’ve heard that keep and tower capturing has changed so Mesmers can’t hide in towers or keeps anymore because their icon shows on the enemies minimap. Is this still true, and if so how hard is it for Mesmers to camp out in keeps or towers nowadays?

I really want to do some portal plays :P

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Yes it is still effective. With the buffs to stealth, etc. mesmers can still hide and are hard to kill.

in WvW

Posted by: Sidizen.9048

Sidizen.9048

Yes it is still effective. With the buffs to stealth, etc. mesmers can still hide and are hard to kill.

What buffs to stealth? I’ve been on and off recently so I don’t know everything.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

What buffs to stealth? I’ve been on and off recently so I don’t know everything.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-September-29-2015/first#post5543811

• Prismatic Understanding: Fixed a bug that prevented this trait from functioning while downed. Reduced the stealth duration increase from 100% to 50%.

Now mesmers can let guards take them into downed state and use Deception for total of 3 seconds of stealth. For some reason the lastest balance patch didn’t fix this issue. :P

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

A wee bit of a warning. Yes it works but:
In a pug fight you most likely just kill either 25 guys that went through the Portal vor the poor souls that didnt. Why? Well the dmg a 40+zerg can do is insane. If the Portal is done poorly, aka you were noticed the zone will be nuked into a crater, including those that stepped though it. .
More often than not pug Frontlinie will be throuh, leaving the backline defenseless.
But: a guild group of 25 that surprise bombs is still rather Bad for the enemy.
The Problem is, that the mes invis is shorter than it was, therefore you risk being spotted early. Best you have a thief hell you into stealth. That However requires training to pull off as your timing has to be perfect.

in WvW

Posted by: Ychiju.7960

Ychiju.7960

Forget about it. Not fun anymore.
You even get marked on the map in your own citadel after your garrison is captured.

in WvW

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

It can still be used with great effect, but as others have noted, it can be risky.