Mesmer pull in wvw OP--discuss

in WvW

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Is exceptionally powerful at puling foes from walls, even out of line of sight. However, in light of spectral grasp getting hammered, why has this remained unchanged, especially added to the fact that it hits multiple foes? Obviously mesmers don’t want this touched (cant blame them for that) but what do you guys think?

(please leave this topic thread here and not be moved to the mesmer discussion thread—this is a wvw topic—thank you)

(edited by Shadey Dancer.2907)

in WvW

Posted by: Mad Pig.2890

Mad Pig.2890

As it stands Mesmers are only really any good in WvW with null field and veil. I think it’s a great skill and add more viability to Mesmers in WvW.

You think your life is hard? You don’t even main a Ranger.
~Desolation~

in WvW

Posted by: Jester.1236

Jester.1236

How in the world is this over powered? Besides randomly pulling one or two people off a tower, how is this game breaking at all? They’ve already nerfed this once. I’m not one to speak for all Mesmer, but I’m sure they wouldn’t mind this getting “touched” if it meant getting at least some of the bugs in class fixed as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Valdemas.4960

Valdemas.4960

Mesmer pull is an incredibly powerful tool in any organised forces kitten nal. Timed together with a wall bomb it is lethal to most foes, lets your group diminish the enemy numbers before entering a structure and decreases pressure from walls.

In my opinion it should definitely stay as part of the mesmer kitten nal unaltered.

Vinita Rush, ZDs Officer

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

It’s an example of a great skill.

Great because of it’s versatility.

1. It grants swiftness
2. It causes cripple
3. It creates a field
4. You can pull enemies
5. If traited it can reflect projectiles

I wish other skills had the versatility like this.

The problem you have is with the wall design that lets the skill pull defenders off the wall.

Fix the wall, not the skill

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Unlike some of the other pulling skills, you can see it coming ahead of time, especially since they already nerfed it so you can’t pull instantly after laying it down. Mesmer pulls would not be a problem if wall defending was not so kitten.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: arKRazor.8654

arKRazor.8654

Other pulls require your opponent to stand on top of the outermost crenelation in order to be effective, the mesmer pull doesn’t seem to care most times.

That said, different doesn’t necessarily mean OP.

Halfpint Sapper – Poorly-traited Asuran Engineer/CatHound/Part-time Warbanner

Devona’s Rest [OHai][GloB]

in WvW

Posted by: bob.8632

bob.8632

It is one of the few reasons to run Focus on a mesmer, it is fine.

in WvW

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Temporal Curtain and Into the Void (pull) are far from being OP. In fact, even with no internal CD, the pull was not OP.

Only back in betas they’re OP, but just cause you could stack swiftness the times you wanted.
When the game started, the nerfed that swiftness stack in such a way the whole weapon got surpassed by other OH weapons. it only remained used in WvW, since the pull was pretty good.

When they put the 1s internal CD they completely converted the good pull in a meh skill, only useful to disturb noob and mindless people in walls.

But this was not the end of nerfs to focus. They had that amazing nobel idea to change iWarden mechanic back in 2013 December. Even with several fixes, iWarden is still quite bugged and completely useless in WvW.

Since then, the tremendous hated at first torch has taken the first place in OH useful weapons in WvW. No way an erratic and telegraphic pull that only works on noob players can surpass a skill that grants a blast finisher, brings good spike damage and also brings you a lot of survivability with stealth.

In fact, the pull is much better in dungeons than in WvW. There it serves to stack spread mobs, which will never be able to evade the pull.
But in WvW, the pull is just a very situational skill, that only is useful against useless enemies. Any player with a little knowleadge of WvW will see the pull and evade it.

About zergs, the fact that pulls 360ยบ makes it not so useful. Why to use a pull skill if it spreads enemies? The purpose of any pull skill is to stack enemies so your team can do a stacked spike damage….

PD: Pulling down from the wall will only work if the enemies are in the edge of walls. Just being behind the outgoing parts of the wall will prevent you from falling. And that’s the reason why the focus pull is not OP in any way.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

in WvW

Posted by: GorgeousDave.9608

GorgeousDave.9608

Other pulls require your opponent to stand on top of the outermost crenelation in order to be effective, the mesmer pull doesn’t seem to care most times.

That said, different doesn’t necessarily mean OP.

“Crenelation”.

Just wow. Fantastic word. Well played my man/woman.

in WvW

Posted by: SFShinigami.2015

SFShinigami.2015

There is nothing wrong with the skill. You can’t instantly trigger the pull as ANET put a delay on it. As it is you should already be watching for pulls when you’re on the wall, between that and the delay there is ample opportunity to dodge the pull or hit stability.

Jigglenaut/Numa Rar/Jakuho Raikoben/Tenel Ka Djo/Kurotsuchi Taichou [SF]/[LOVE]
All Hail CuddleStrike! Undisputed Empress of Tier 1!
Controlled by CuddleStrike!

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

I suppose by this standard meteor shower should be nerfed too, because guilds that run heavy with staff eles can basically turn any wall into an instant death zone.

As other people have already mentioned, the focus is completely terrible for combat compared to the torch or pistol. If if you only swap in a focus for situations where a pull is needed, you still risk still being stuck in combat with it. That’s not so bad if it’s a pistol you replaced, but in some builds, the torch is your main condi removal and setup for other combos.

in WvW

Posted by: DanyxEleven.9162

DanyxEleven.9162

Every focus held by a mesmer is a mesmer that isn’t running around ganking roamers. While getting yanked off a wall sucks, if there are enough mesmers to yank enough people off the wall, either the mesmers are gonna die from backlash or the tower/keep would be taken anyway.

Like I said, I’d rather have to Mist Form back into the tower than have to encounter a PU in the wild. Lesser of two evils.

in WvW

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Is exceptionally powerful at puling foes from walls, even out of line of sight. However, in light of spectral grasp getting hammered, why has this remained unchanged, especially added to the fact that it hits multiple foes? Obviously mesmers don’t want this touched (cant blame them for that) but what do you guys think?

(please leave this topic thread here and not be moved to the mesmer discussion thread—this is a wvw topic—thank you)

In fact, we should go a few steps further.

Everyone should only be given a single shot rifle that takes minutes to reload, and everyone is required to stand in a line.

ONLY THEN WILL WVW BE TRULY FAIR, INTERESTING MOVES BE kitten ED.

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

The pull skill is awesome. I dont play mesmer myself, but it’s always funny seeing people thinking they are safe either on a tower wall or above the mesmer on a cliff; and then all of a sudden they are pulled off the wall and down into the zerg or off the cliff to fall to their death.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Its not OP, how else do you plan to pull them players away from the Ac’s right at the very back of the wall that are raining death down on the players below,

Mesmers have already been nerfed and nerfed again lets not add to that.

I personally feel its OP than an ele can be downed then MF threw the portal to safety.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Of all the weapon skills to gripe about, this isn’t one of them IMO. Sure it is an above average skill but it is telegraphed and easily mitigated with stability. You can even dodge it but that is somewhat difficult.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Its a troublesome skill. While its fairly easy to avoid being pulled off a wall, the more awkward side is when people spam it to pull people off of arrow carts and other defences.

Keep the skill as it is, but make it so that anyone on siege is anchored to the siege they are using. Its hard enough to defend a tower, more so when they can effectively block you from using siege that is otherwise positioned to resist all but the largest aoe circles.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Is this thread for real? It reminds me of all the calls for nerfs on engineer CC in PvP. I’d rather have the design of the walls fixed so that defending from them is viable than change this mesmer skill. You should have to use catapults, trebs, and ac to deal with defenders on a wall and class skills for defenders standing on the edges.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: ammayhem.5962

ammayhem.5962

What are Mesmers supposed to be able to do then? Veilbot? Portal? The occasional pull is hardly OP. Would you like GS #5 nerfed too? I mean that aoe knockback is just as OP wouldn’t you say?

Mesmer’s are already on a fine line of being completely useless in WvW. Don’t make it worse.

Port Sledge University [PSU]
Sorrow’s Furnace

in WvW

Posted by: etrigan.4213

etrigan.4213

Of all the problems that WvW has…someone posts/complains about Mesmer pulls?

Is this a troll thread?

Nox – Fort Aspenwood
I AM BEST!

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

What are Mesmers supposed to be able to do then?

I thought mesmers were supposed to run around with pu condi builds and brag about destroying everyone in 1v1s.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Of all the problems that WvW has…someone posts/complains about Mesmer pulls?

Cuz being pulled off of AC by a mesmer is OP. Anywhere else, it’s ok.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I don’t know how any mesmer plays without traited focus IMO.

If a skill has killed someone ever there is zero doubt someone has at sometime called it op.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Its a troublesome skill. While its fairly easy to avoid being pulled off a wall, the more awkward side is when people spam it to pull people off of arrow carts and other defences.

Keep the skill as it is, but make it so that anyone on siege is anchored to the siege they are using. Its hard enough to defend a tower, more so when they can effectively block you from using siege that is otherwise positioned to resist all but the largest aoe circles.

D: Umm No. Why should anyone safely hang off the back of the wall on siege? The pull is not the problem, the thin walls are, if AoEs couldn’t reach almost to the back lip of the wall I doubt there would be complaining about pulling because defenders would have somewhere to go. Chain pulling into bombs takes some level of coordination, which is always good IMHO. Focus is already an inferior off hand for Mesmers.

Also where are all these blobbing Mesmers? It’s pretty much the worst class to zerg with.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

OMG I see it now. Mesmer zerg. Why let the MM necros have all the fun?

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: radiantbliss.6875

radiantbliss.6875

OMG make it happen! I want to be in a mesmer zerg with my OP focus skills (serious not for one sec. OP??? HA HA HA HA HA). Anyway, mesmer zerg! With zerg vs zerg, make the zerg look 3x the normal size. Add in the traits for shatter…..so when the aoe hits, mkittenter bombing! Someone do it. Do it now.

Blackgate
[KiS] Kinetic Storm

in WvW

Posted by: Lydon.1890

Lydon.1890

Seriously? At worst the skill forces you to pay attention to what you’re doing. I’ve literally been pulled off of a wall two or three times since the game was released.

Yes, let’s weed out what little fun Mesmers do have with all of the class-breaking bugs they have to deal with on a daily basis.

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I hate that skill, an aoe pull without LoS. Its just infuriating.

But there is worst stuff, like Banner rezzing lords, perma-stealth, stealth in general and Portals, to name a few. And mesmers are pretty uncommon anyway, wouldnt want to make them less desireable.

in WvW

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

While annoying- I would not say it is OP.- and as others have stated. the wvw problem in those cases are tied to how defenses works.- they almost don’t- if real world castles where build like wvw- no one would have spend the effort building them-

Is that line of sights- wall structures give little defense. No Arrowslits that favor defenders, Battlements hardly exists- and are certainly not designed for defense. Most of the time you can’t hit what is out there due to line of sight – while attacks can hit you.-
And then there is the personal lack of value for a defender- attacking and taking a keep gives you loot and loads of nice stuff- defending – only means potential player lootbags. and overall strategy wins.

I wouldn’t change the viel part. But would suggest that a defensive structure- actually gives defenses..^^

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Nothing OP about it.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Chaba.5410

if real world castles where build like wvw- no one would have spend the effort building them-

Best commentary on WvW structures ever.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Stability… teamwork.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.