Must grind Pve for elite spec ?!

in WvW

Posted by: unknownchaos.1425

unknownchaos.1425

Please , I’ve been playing since beta. I mostly play WvW. I sometimes play spvp.

Let me get this right. From what I have read. Pvp will have the elite specs to use.

WvW players like myself will have to grind 170 hero points scattered all over the Pve maps to have access to the elite specs.

Please tell me I’m wrong. Nothing would be more painful then running around every map to get hero points. When I have zero interest in any Pve content.

Thank you

Obs®

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Ugh, guess I need to read more I thought it was 60 points.

in WvW

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

New WvW maps might have a few to get on them (not a lot though)

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in WvW

Kaiser.9873

Okay so spent some more time over at the HoT forum, and yeah it’s all speculation at this point over there, but some numbers keep cropping up. They are 80 and 100. Some are still throwing out the 170 number, but surely that isn’t right. Right?

in WvW

Posted by: MUDse.7623

MUDse.7623

uhm i do have more then 170 hero points on like every lv 80+ char i have ..coz u get them also from lvl ups . as u also get xp in wvw u wont need pve for that.

10k hours n still a noob

in WvW

Kaiser.9873

uhm i do have more then 170 hero points on like every lv 80+ char i have ..coz u get them also from lvl ups . as u also get xp in wvw u wont need pve for that.

Have not noticed getting HPs from leveling past 80 anymore. Though I haven’t looked at my HPs since I maxed skills back when the change took place. Thought they discontinued the point/level when they made the change. I’ll have to take a look at my HP bank on my characters again. If this is still the case I’m a happy guy.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think you also need to do a quest to unlock each one too. Though i think that the ideal behind these elite spec they are from HoT contend and you must play HoT content to get them.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’d be nice if they had the foresight to put lots in wvw but…

And no, you do not get hero points from leveling up @ 80. You can get a spirit shard if you use a tome of experience. My mesmer with 4% map compleition and almost played exclusively in wvw has precisely 2 hero points with one hero point done somewhere in the world and 1 from EB. And now that I remember, a 3rd one from the Krait Obelisk.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

unknownchaos.1425

You don’t get hps from level up anymore at 80. I have to run all the maps to get upwards of 230 – 250 if I want to unlock all the extras like skins ect.

That part is fine.. But the traits and skills shouldn’t need the Pve grind .. But yet the info I read is 170 hps to unlock all the traits and utilities.

Just another slap in the face at the wvw player.

Obs®

in WvW

MUDse.7623

hmm but i have more hero points then listed when i open worldmap

10k hours n still a noob

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

WvW is no longer map completion related so those points won’t show.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

I was going to make a post about this. It seems a little out of line with what ANET claims to be their intentions. As a wvw player, a large number of my characters have 2% or less map completion on them. By making these elite specs cost 80-170 (250 for skins some are claiming) it forces any wvw player to devote a huge amount of time to pve grind these points. This isn’t something that I think is appropriate nor does it fit with the play how you want mindset anet tries to enforce (and typically does a good job at).

I shouldn’t be considering rerolling a class simply to have the hero points open to me to spend them on the elite spec.

Now how to solve it, one possibility is to reduce the number needed to unlock the spec aspect (not the skins); another is to reset hero points on release and allow those who have already spent points to redistribute them as they now wish with the new options.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

If this is the case, the fix may be pretty easy. Give one HP for each WvW level gained by a toon. They can cap it at 250 or something per toon.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Kaiser.9873

I was going to make a post about this. It seems a little out of line with what ANET claims to be their intentions. As a wvw player, a large number of my characters have 2% or less map completion on them. By making these elite specs cost 80-170 (250 for skins some are claiming) it forces any wvw player to devote a huge amount of time to pve grind these points. This isn’t something that I think is appropriate nor does it fit with the play how you want mindset anet tries to enforce (and typically does a good job at).

I shouldn’t be considering rerolling a class simply to have the hero points open to me to spend them on the elite spec.

Now how to solve it, one possibility is to reduce the number needed to unlock the spec aspect (not the skins); another is to reset hero points on release and allow those who have already spent points to redistribute them as they now wish with the new options.

The characters I play currently all have around 20% map completion. I “retired” my old characters for a variety of reasons(not deleted due to crafting levels). I took a fairly long break from WvW to bank 80ish HPs on the characters I do play so that I would satisfy the “65” number that they put out there at first. Farming another 100 or so HPs would be torture.

in WvW

Posted by: Olli.9028

Olli.9028

14 chars all 80 all 2-4 % map cause i play pvp/wvw only
so much fun :-(

Stab Eins [aX] Axîom
professional WvW rallybotting since 2013

in WvW

Kaiser.9873

14 chars all 80 all 2-4 % map cause i play pvp/wvw only
so much fun :-(

Let us use our rank points to buy the unlocks we need, and everything would be fine and dandy.

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

Someone seems to have forgotten than we WvW players are typically really into PvE!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

don’t be lazy…………………..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

don’t be lazy…………………..

While I don’t mind, this isn’t about laziness, some people just don’t enjoy PvE. Why should these people be forced to do content they don’t like for a core thing like class spec lines?

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

in WvW

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Make a Mystic forge recipe that uses some of the millions of badges everyone has to make a consumable that grants HPs.

in WvW

MUDse.7623

WvW is no longer map completion related so those points won’t show.

oh right forgot about this, then its coz most of my chars got 90-100%
i lvl em doing the maps and when they hit 80 they have like 90% at least the way i do.

so as u can buy all traits+ utilities with the heropoints u get from lvl ups then they should add hero points for lvl ups after lv80 again or just increase the amount of hero points u get till lv 80 so every lv 80 can just buy it.

10k hours n still a noob

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Maybe you don’t have to grind Hero Points after all. From their latest blog:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/its-the-final-countdown/

“Our journey is nearly over—very soon, you will be gliding through the jungle canopy, battling to level 100 in fractals, building a guild hall with your friends, overcoming challenges in the jungle to unlock your elite specialization, competing with your friends and guildmates to get to the top of our new minigame adventure leaderboards”

Granted… not an absolute confirmation maybe, but it does strongly indicate that Elite specs will be gotten via some kind of “challenges” in the new maps.

Note that per the datamined figure of 170 HPs, you wouldn’t have needed to go into the HOT jungles for extra HPs to unlock your elites.

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

“Our journey is nearly over—very soon, you will be gliding through the jungle canopy, battling to level 100 in fractals, building a guild hall with your friends, overcoming challenges in the jungle to unlock your elite specialization, competing with your friends and guildmates to get to the top of our new minigame adventure leaderboards”

Granted… not an absolute confirmation maybe, but it does strongly indicate that Elite specs will be gotten via some kind of “challenges” in the new maps.

Note that per the datamined figure of 170 HPs, you wouldn’t have needed to go into the HOT jungles for extra HPs to unlock your elites.

What worries me is the phrasing. Unlock your elite spec. there is a world of difference between unlocked, and having the skills/traits to make it useable.

For example right now you unlock the ability to add trait lines at certain levels. But if you dont have the points to unlock the skills in those trait lines it doesnt matter at all that the line is unlocked.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

(edited by Wryscher.1432)

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

What worries me is the phrasing. Unlock your elite spec. there is a world of difference between unlocked, and having the skills/traits to make it useable.

For example right now you unlock the ability to add trait lines at certain levels. But if you dont have the points to unlock the skills in those trait lines it doesnt matter at all that the line is unlocked.

Yes… someone else on another forum mentioned that the challenges may be just to unlock the Elite spec itself… and that you may still need the Hero Points to actually unlock the individual traits and skills.

But LOL… can you imagine if we had to grind through a whole bunch of PVE challenges in the new HOT jungle to unlock the new elite trait lines, and then when we’re done with that… go grind another 100-170 HPs just to slot the individual traits & skills ?

Good lord…

in WvW

unknownchaos.1425

Yes… someone else on another forum mentioned that the challenges may be just to unlock the Elite spec itself… and that you may still need the Hero Points to actually unlock the individual traits and skills.

But LOL… can you imagine if we had to grind through a whole bunch of PVE challenges in the new HOT jungle to unlock the new elite trait lines, and then when we’re done with that… go grind another 100-170 HPs just to slot the individual traits & skills ?

Good lord…

Imagine it ?.. It’s probably the reality of it…

They should just do like spvp. Use the elite specs in wvw. If you wanna Pve with it.. Then you should have to jump through all of the Pve rings of fire to get it.

This and also the reset day change are just wvw players getting kitten on by devs that DO NOT CARE about this game mode or the players that enjoy it.

Obs®

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Why is anyone even asking the question or surprised for that matter ? This is has become the norm, F the WvW community, love thy PvE community !

in WvW

Jski.6180

Well that the thing about GW2 they want you to play all game types at least on some level. Most ppl who wvw have at one point at least pve (in the early days) its some of the newer players who simply want to wvw and never went to pve but are missing out on gold items etc.. and now classes that are something you need to run quest to get. If you need the new classes so badly i bet your guild leadership will help get them because some of the elite spec will be worth having in wvw for guild groups.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

That is false.

You do not get Hero Points from gaining levels, used to get skill points before they split it up to Hero Points and Spirit Shards, but not any longer.

Personally this is one of the reasons why I am not purchasing HOT. As primarily a WVW player, I want to see the full extent of A-Nets improvements to issues such as pop imbalance, nightcapping, and of course use elite specs in WVW and attain it via WVW.

My 3 PVE toons have around 200+ points each, but my PVP / WVW toons will not, and the thought of grinding partial map completion to unlock them still makes me wanna puke after I did it for my legendary. I’m sure as hell not going to repeat the process, so HOT may be pointless for me to get in its entirety.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Random.4691

Well that the thing about GW2 they want you to play all game types at least on some level. Most ppl who wvw have at one point at least pve (in the early days) its some of the newer players who simply want to wvw and never went to pve but are missing out on gold items etc.. and now classes that are something you need to run quest to get. If you need the new classes so badly i bet your guild leadership will help get them because some of the elite spec will be worth having in wvw for guild groups.

That’s some flawed logic, since when has Anet forced PvE players into WvW or SPvP ? They even made it so they don’t need WvW for map completion because the care bears cried so hard. A PvE player can get everything they need for Legendary gear and weapons, Ascended, and pretty much anything worth while without ever stepping foot into WvW or SPvP.

When they start making some real rewards such as Legendary armor WvW or SPvP exclusive then you comments will be valid.

in WvW

Jski.6180

That’s some flawed logic, since when has Anet forced PvE players into WvW or SPvP ? They even made it so they don’t need WvW for map completion because the care bears cried so hard. A PvE player can get everything they need for Legendary gear and weapons, Ascended, and pretty much anything worth while without ever stepping foot into WvW or SPvP.

When they start making some real rewards such as Legendary armor WvW or SPvP exclusive then you comments will be valid.

If the pve player wants to pvp or wvw yes as there is no open pvp in GW2.

Pvp of any type only real reward is beating another player beyond that your simply asking for more pve in your pvp.

in WvW

Random.4691

You’re really reaching there aren’t you.

in WvW

Jski.6180

You’re really reaching there aren’t you.

What?
Well ya that why there is no open pvp in GW2 not every one likes pvp so to forces is on ppl is wrong but pve is the main ideal behind mmorpgs with out it you just have an “brawler” type of game (at least i think that what it called not a moba but a bit different). There are a lot of pure pvp games out there GW2 is simply not a pure pvp game.

As you add more rewards in wvw and spvp you make them more into pve and a lot of ppl would play wvw (mostly wvw over spvp) for the pve rewards over playing for the pvp. I mean look at EotM is not a bad pvp map but its easy to explore due to overflowing for new maps for more “free” loot. If you could not overflow the maps you would run into a map that is all one side so no more free loot from the npc or you would run into groups who DO want to pvp simply killing off the pve players free loot trains.

For an mmorpg to work you need pve you do not need pvp its realy that simple.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I thought paying for the expansion should have unlocked our skills … I don’t wanna step foot into PvE for my skills just like PvE players don’t wanna WvW for legendaries.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Remember what O’Brien said? If you are into anything, then you are really into PvE.
So time to show your love for PvE.

Joke aside. This is actually going to be a problem for both WvW centric players and instance centric players. Neither of these groups of players will like to do a lot of open world grinding.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

The WvW side of the game has always been based around PvE while PvP has traditionally had everything unlocked immediately. Yea, this is gonna suck…

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Kaiser.9873

Pvp of any type only real reward is beating another player beyond that your simply asking for more pve in your pvp.

Argument is fallacious. The “real” reward in PvE then should, by your measure, be beating the encounter. Does anyone believe that if a PvE encounter garnered no loot , or progressed your toon in some way that anyone would do it? Loot, rewards, assets, progression, these are not PvE specific.

in WvW

Posted by: emendez.3705

emendez.3705

I have no map completion on my main mesmer/necro and soon to be main engineer when hot releases this is going to suck:(

in WvW

Posted by: emendez.3705

emendez.3705

Good lord…

sigh pvers will hit the ground running if that is the case >.>

in WvW

Kaiser.9873

Over at the HoT forum they are saying they data-mined 170 HP for elite spec full unlock, and 214 needed for all the accouterments.

in WvW

Random.4691

Argument is fallacious. The “real” reward in PvE then should, by your measure, be beating the encounter. Does anyone believe that if a PvE encounter garnered no loot , or progressed your toon in some way that anyone would do it? Loot, rewards, assets, progression, these are not PvE specific.

I wasn’t going to bother pointing it out, it was pretty clear that he is living in his own little world.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Obtain these skill points is actually much more interesting and fun than playing warrior or guardian in WvW.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Kaiser.9873

Ugh, so for the past two days I’ve gone back to PvE world trying to bank some HPs on the 5 characters I intend to unlock elite spec on. 3 of the 5 have less than 20% map completion.

I went ahead and changed my original plan for my warrior, and went back to the human warrior I started on, because after unlocking the first 20 on my Asura I couldn’t anymore. At least the Human has ~140 banked.

Then decided to work my engineer a bit to get some on him. My Norn engineer has ~180, but went to an Asura engineer 4 months ago that I prefer. Got around 25 more HP on that one before my eyes started weeping tears of blood(figurative not literal). Seriously considering playing Norn Scrapper even though I really hate the way he looks just so I can stop hunting HP on the Asura.

Necro is close to set as he was an older character with ~160 HP banked so I’ll worry about him later.

Debated between Charr Ranger and Sylvari Ranger that I haven’t touched in over 9 months. Charr has ~35, Sylvari has ~90, guess I shelve the Charr.

Looked at my mesmers. Charr sitting on ~110, Asura sitting on ~40. Hate the Charr, love the Asura, but now it’s down to how much torture I want to endure, and I think for a Chronomancer the effort is too high.

Now I’m down to 4 elites I can conceptualize unlocking. I just obviously don’t spend enough time in PvE-land to make the numbers work for me, and honestly I’m pretty unwilling to avoid WvW for long enough to unlock the ones I want to play.

Is there any plan for alts with this elite spec thing? Surely they don’t really expect people to unlock anywhere from 100-170 HPs for each class they play?

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Right? This actually encourages less alt play.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Scryeless.1924

Scryeless.1924

Unless you spend an insane amount of time with the mystic forge you should have more than enough points upon HoT release to finish out any or all trait lines.

SoS – Ele – Burn Me, Freeze Me, Blind Me, Pound Me — Wait…What?
Warrior – The New Burninator! Strongbad would be so proud!
Guardian – Burn for you, heal for me, block for me and uh…sorry Im all out of gifts.

in WvW

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Unless you spend an insane amount of time with the mystic forge you should have more than enough points upon HoT release to finish out any or all trait lines.

spirit shards are not the same as hero points, not at all

you only get hero points from the hero challenges, previously called skill challenges

in WvW

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_point are not http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Shard

We are talking about Hero points which are needed for taking trait lines, not the spirit shards which are used in the mystic forge. This change was made for the specialization changes, and has a huge impact on a WvW players ability to take the new traitlines included with HoT, especially on alts which have little to no map completion done.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

in WvW

Kaiser.9873

Well I spend very little time at the mystic forge, but i do have around 8 characters that I play pretty much purely in WvW, and yeah a few of them will have enough, but the newer ones(that I actually play on the most) won’t be anywhere close.

They are saying they datamined 170-240 HPs to unlock the elite specs. I don’t have a single character with 240 HPs including those that have map completion.

in WvW

Jski.6180

PvE is about loot at the end of the day even if it means that loot is used to get to your next encounter. You can say leveling up getting skills etc.. is a type of loot or permanent progression. That just how video games work you must give some type of progression to the player or they will feel that there is nothing to do.

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

Pve on this game is like a wierd and sick fetishism, i dont understand how can someone can endure it… i wana keep it away from pve. If im forced to do pve stuff to get things on wvw i rather quit the game…

in WvW

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

That is false.

You do not get Hero Points from gaining levels, used to get skill points before they split it up to Hero Points and Spirit Shards, but not any longer.

Not precisely accurate. You do not get a Hero Point for each bar of XP completed, however; some of the level up rewards at certain levels < 80 do include a fixed amount of hero points.

Remember when the trait change came out? Just being 80 gives you enough hero points to unlock all core/vanilla specs even if you have no hero challenges in the world completed.

The basic argument is valid though; WvWers are essentially screwed here. PvE hero point grind is mandatory to unlock elite specs for WvW.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court