My Solution to the 'nightcap' issue

in WvW

Posted by: Eihder.8961

Eihder.8961

First off i believe it is an actual issue rather than people whinning as there have been a rather numerous amounts of posts on this issue. And i understand the night cappers dont want their ‘work’ made invalid.

1. Make matches 24 hours long again or just reset the map every day at a random time. Points are keept if just a map reset. This way any advantage gained is keept but a fresh map means players have a chance and are more willing to participate. Obviously having all 3 maps capped by one server dwindles participants.

2.Mercenary-Tired of being in a 6 hour que? que up as a merc and be tossed into a random wvw encounter on a free slot. Not including matches where your server is involved of course. This bulks up low pop servers with mercs and mercs can receive special rewards for their action while not waiting several hours to join wvw.

3.Free for all server matching. If it is intended to be truelly international then all servers should participate in the same bracket regardless of EU/NA location. Altho some may cry that EU or oceanic players would be at a disadvantage i would counter there is already many on NA servers and thus it is moot. They would be having the same ping issues regardless.

Just my thoughts on the issue, and to close i do think its ironic that a minority of players doesnt want to be treated like 2nd class citizens while doing exactly that to the majority. Without going into details i have night capped and yes.. its mostly just pve.

in WvW

Posted by: elvy.9085

elvy.9085

The 24 hours match aren’t as fun, there is no point for a guild to claim a fort and upgrade it. And even if they do, you dont really feel involved enough to go defend it under a massive attack.

Honestly 24 hours match only would kill WvW. Maybe if it would please the person coming here whining cause they would win from time to time.

But this is a game, why can’t people focus on having fun, rather than ‘who has the biggest’.

So far , some of the best situation I faced in WvW is when I was on the losing side, getting your fort siege by the two others serves at same time, all your P1 walls and gates down, non stop bus coming again and again, resisting for 2 hours before actually losing it.

At the end my thought wasn’t like ‘oh WTF they allied again’, but “this was fun”.

Seriously, if all you want is being on the winning server, transfer is your friend.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

The 24 hours match aren’t as fun, there is no point for a guild to claim a fort and upgrade it. And even if they do, you dont really feel involved enough to go defend it under a massive attack.

Honestly 24 hours match only would kill WvW. Maybe if it would please the person coming here whining cause they would win from time to time.

But this is a game, why can’t people focus on having fun, rather than ‘who has the biggest’.

So far , some of the best situation I faced in WvW is when I was on the losing side, getting your fort siege by the two others serves at same time, all your P1 walls and gates down, non stop bus coming again and again, resisting for 2 hours before actually losing it.

At the end my thought wasn’t like ‘oh WTF they allied again’, but “this was fun”.

Seriously, if all you want is being on the winning server, transfer is your friend.

An incorrect assesment of my ideas. If you have noticed even on losing servers most are excited about a fresh start to make up for previous rounds. In no way would a 24 hour match or reset break the fun but rather add to it. No side would be demoralized for having all 3 maps owned by one side. And indeed if i just wanted to win i would transfer, but not the case. Please dont try to start arguments because you feel uncomfortable with people possibly changing whatever edge you perceive to have in a game. It is about competition and the first rule is it has to be fair. This is about as close to real ‘war’ as halo.

(edited by Eihder.8961)

in WvW

elvy.9085

Fun as you did exactly that, ignoring the two first arguments I made, focusing on the only one you are comfortable to answer.

We saw it again and again in 24H match, forts without upgrade. And other that it would be more exciting because we might have a chance to win, you dont offer any argument for the 24h games.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

Forts dont take 24 hours to upgrade and keep. Ergo your counter argument is more about getting the most distance for your bucks. Wvw would be more encouraged if prices were cheaper including armor repairs.

in WvW

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

There is no such thing as a “night cap” issue. The game is available 24 hours. Not everyone plays when you do. End of story.

in WvW

elvy.9085

You still dont offer any argument, that just sounds like another, ‘please Anet helps me!’.

Really explain me how 24h games are so much more fun. I really fail to see it.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

Your opinions are your own that is true so nothing i say will convince you otherwise from your stance. But why all the hostility? it seems like you are completely tunnel visioned into wanting an easy time of a win without any competition. As yes there is a nightcap issue. Due to server locations most people picked servers in their.. location to play in. I myself did not exactly pick a EU server for obvious reasons so such logic is flawed.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

Furthermore a truelly international game should include all servers.. or its not really international.

in WvW

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

it’s not “night capping”. the correct term is “retaking.”

you know, we don’t spend our time just walking into keeps. you do realise we fight people on your server? it’s not our fault your night teams are weaker than your day teams and our day teams are weaker than us…

in WvW

elvy.9085

I show no hostility, but as expected you have no valid argument.

I am more than willing to discuss with you, but at least explain why 24h games are more exciting. Else don’t be surprised if people take it as another whine.

I told you why I think longer the better. I am actually impatient for the 2 weeks games. I also think they should suppress the score. Suddenly we would see so much less whines.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

Oh and keep in mind these are merely ideas to correct a problem wich you perceive does not exist. However much as society as a majority determines norms so too is the case in point. No one is taking away your cookie or changing the game. Forums are meant as a means to convey ideas and nothing more. There is no competition to be had here so it would be nice if instead we tried to come up with said ideas no?

in WvW

elvy.9085

That is good to have ideas. But it is even better to explain why you think they are good. Because ‘we may have a chance to win’ doesn’t seem be a real good reason to change things.

I think we should change things to make the game more exciting, like possibilities to attack under water gates, had siege tower, ladders….fix some clipping.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

it’s not “night capping”. the correct term is “retaking.”

you know, we don’t spend our time just walking into keeps. you do realise we fight people on your server? it’s not our fault your night teams are weaker than your day teams and our day teams are weaker than us…

Aha.. well allow me to convey my experiance when i decided to stay up for almost 24 hours and night cap. Me and a group of about 15 ran to a keep.. killed the guards and then the gate. We then killed the champion, all this completely unopposed.. as in no competition or pvp aspect involved. We then repeated until we had the entire map. About an hour later the other server finally woke up and through the course of the entire day they were able to take 3 forts away from us. Now answer me this.. in what way was there any competition or pvp involved until said server woke up? You try to use it as a means to measure skill and yet killing mobs that presented no challenge is skill? Should it not be a competition between players? we already have pve and this current wvw design is disappointing. If you are happy then kudos, you have little to argue.

in WvW

elvy.9085

Well at least, the real reason of that post appeared pretty fast. Under the disguise of ‘I want to improve things’, it was just another ‘it is unfair thread’.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

That is good to have ideas. But it is even better to explain why you think they are good. Because ‘we may have a chance to win’ doesn’t seem be a real good reason to change things.

I think we should change things to make the game more exciting, like possibilities to attack under water gates, had siege tower, ladders….fix some clipping.

Well i will tell you what, if you can name one sport where one team starts with a huge overwhealming advantage from the get go then you are correct. Otherwise it is a major game flaw. Yes teams must have an equal chance to win, determined by competition.. again no sport exists that would contradict that. And yes pvp is a sport not real life, otherwise upon death you would be booted from said wvw.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

Actually that does give me an idea that would satisfy all the hardcores. Why not allow people to be booted from zones upon death? you can reque after but that would add an incredible amount of realism to the game.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

Well at least, the real reason of that post appeared pretty fast. Under the disguise of ‘I want to improve things’, it was just another ‘it is unfair thread’.

Hmm? so again you believe the game is perfect? congrats, now why would you keep trying to argue a point that does not include you? You have not done anything but argue and failed to even provide points on how things would be unfair in my ideas. Perhaps you should write a post on what is right with wvw as you seem incredibly content.

in WvW

Posted by: waeren.9743

waeren.9743

There’s no point in trying to argue with the troll.

He doesn’t/won’t acknowledge the problem because everything is fine in elvyland.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

There’s no point in trying to argue with the troll.

He doesn’t/won’t acknowledge the problem because everything is fine in elvyland.

Oh yes i know but it seems as tho he has much to say. I would actually LOVE to see such a post just to examine what it is that they think is being done right. Perhaps it could provide a fresh perspective on the issue.

in WvW

Posted by: lollie.5816

lollie.5816

There is no nightcapping. People are just playing during their hours, get used to it.

in WvW

Posted by: zarg.1853

zarg.1853

I just mean, there is 2 million players would be needed 2 million different rules(rulers), Anet cannot satisfy everybody thus best and accept “nightcaps”

To play to amuse you not looking at the score, I am on a server who is dominated because the Russian players tag when I sleep bah it is the game it’s not serious

in WvW

elvy.9085

I got that part, your only argument for the 24h games is ‘it gives people hope for a chance to win’.

It still has nothing to do with improving the WvW.

And you keep trying to dodge real argumentation under others excuses. So I will stop there, I offered several time to go into a real argumentation and everytime you dodge it, pretending all I want is trolling you.

Waiting impatiently the next thread. OH wait, already 2 were created in between. Hehe.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

I just mean, there is 2 million players would be needed 2 million different rules(rulers), Anet cannot satisfy everybody thus best and accept “nightcaps”

To play to amuse you not looking at the score, I am on a server who is dominated because the Russian players tag when I sleep bah it is the game it’s not serious

Indeed, tho they are choosing to ignore the majority for the favor of a minority. You should realize said problem will not just ‘go away’ on its own. And indeed it is not serious so i do wonder why certain people take it so serious that they would even shout to the heavens “NOOO” on any idea that could make things balanced fun for all. Rather than just a few.

in WvW

Eihder.8961

I got that part, your only argument for the 24h games is ‘it gives people hope for a chance to win’.

It still has nothing to do with improving the WvW.

And you keep trying to dodge real argumentation under others excuses. So I will stop there, I offered several time to go into a real argumentation and everytime you doge it, pretending all I want is trolling you.

Waiting impatiently the next thread. OH wait, already 2 were created in between. Hehe.

Yes your points have failed and i bid you good game. I pointed out your flaws and missed posts. However i think you and many have failed to realize the points of such topics. It is not to flamebait and draw in trolls but rather to have a civil discussion about an issue. It saddens me more than anything that people are unable to express ideas because they get buried in the mindless mires of people seeking only to ruin such ideas without providing their own or explainations why said idea is bad. But it is the internetz lol l33t, oh well.

in WvW

waeren.9743

The 24 hours matches wouldn’t be the solution.

However the problem is there.

Almost all match-ups last week had the problem where 1 server was pretty much steamrolling the rest, there was a thread with score screenshots about this.

I can’t see how this will ever change considering the impact the off peak capping has on the end result of the match up. So unless a bunch of servers have the same wvw population at any given point in time (or have it balanced out over time) there will never be decent competition.

There you have your answer.

in WvW

Posted by: Actinotus.6410

Actinotus.6410

The 24 hours matches wouldn’t be the solution.

However the problem is there.

Almost all match-ups last week had the problem where 1 server was pretty much steamrolling the rest, there was a thread with score screenshots about this.

I can’t see how this will ever change considering the impact the off peak capping has on the end result of the match up. So unless a bunch of servers have the same wvw population at any given point in time (or have it balanced out over time) there will never be decent competition.

There you have your answer.

Well it has changed this week matches are generally much closer.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

waeren.9743

Wish we had a scoreboard to validate that since you can’t serverhop to check :/
Hopefully it’s one of the items on the to-do list.

in WvW

elvy.9085

In our match-up top server is only 60K ahead, 2K difference 2 and 3. It doesn’t seem to be that imbalanced.

As i said several times, let the system work. It is only the second week, no ranking system can balance things in 2 match-up.

I mean if in two months you still see big problems, then we can discuss it, but whining about a system before actually checking if it works, I dont know, that bothers me.

in WvW

waeren.9743

People can currently still server hop, 1 day cd on it is pointless.
So we’re ignoring the 1 day “balancing” match-ups we had?

60k ahead with lets say 3 days left means you already won. How exactly is that close? :/
4*24*3 ticks left and having to close a 60k gap means they’d have to be 200+ points per tick ahead to catch up, unless my math is horribly off.

And how much of that advantage was gotten during the night? What was the score after the weekend? What’s the score during “prime” time.

Looks like there’s a thread up over on guildwars2guru showing some screenshots of how “balanced” the scores are at the moment.

So can you please provide some decent argument of why the current system is working out?

in WvW

elvy.9085

Yeah but the second and third server are actually close, after a bunch of 24h games, and a single 1 week rotation, it isn’t bad already.

As I said it is still early to make any serious analysis. Again no ranking system can give a decent ranking that fast. So saying it is broken or works fine is pointless. Just give it enough time to give result.

And the 1 day transfer isn’t helping the ranking, but at least it helps the persons who want to be on the winning server. Because I am convinced this is what it is about for a lot of people.

Even the persons who never listen on team chat, keep plundering forts, tower ressources think they are amongst the best players. It is the same on every game, for people who know league of legend, it is a common discussion. Many post from players with 1000 elo or less, convinced it is the elo system which is broken, or that they are unlucky, they always get bad team mates while they are great.

in WvW

Posted by: Corinne.1724

Corinne.1724

Yeah but the second and third server are actually close, after a bunch of 24h games, and a single 1 week rotation, it isn’t bad already.

As I said it is still early to make any serious analysis. Again no ranking system can give a decent ranking that fast. So saying it is broken or works fine is pointless. Just give it enough time to give result.

And the 1 day transfer isn’t helping the ranking, but at least it helps the persons who want to be on the winning server. Because I am convinced this is what it is about for a lot of people.

Even the persons who never listen on team chat, keep plundering forts, tower ressources think they are amongst the best players. It is the same on every game, for people who know league of legend, it is a common discussion. Many post from players with 1000 elo or less, convinced it is the elo system which is broken, or that they are unlucky, they always get bad team mates while they are great.

Do you know why are they so close? Because between them is a “fair” fight, your server do the night capping so they are figthing in the same terms, they dont have night advantage against each other.

in WvW

elvy.9085

And what is your point?

Eventually the ranking system will match server with same presence.Or it might not, we will see then.

in WvW

Posted by: cyflip.1765

cyflip.1765

I don’t know how to say this about this issue, but if a 5 years old asked me why is it unbalanced I would simply say to imagine 3 different countries fighting for resources. The larger country would have the advantage because they’ve got the majority number of people. I’ve been thinking that ArenaNet derived this concept from real life wars where unfairness happens. It’s just too bad that some worlds have the higher population FOR NOW. I bet this game cannot be balanced unless they change the concept into a common mmorpg pvp wars.

I’m from SBI and fighting HoD feels so great knowing that they’ve got the numbers. But I feel bad for the keep upgrades since it’s too expensive. But didn’t you take responsibility of the Keep before you claim it? you said OK to it so better face the consequences. I’d prefer larger guilds to claim such.

in WvW

waeren.9743

It is pretty bad, search the forum for last weeks scores. Check http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/66131-whats-goin-on-in-the-other-tiers/ to see how bad the balance is for some match ups this week. There is only 1 that is fairly balanced.

What’s your reason to say it’ll be ok? 11+ match-ups and it’s still horribly off due to the difference in non peak population. Every day the server balance can change due to transfers, how can you have a system balance that out? It would be great if you can explain me the algorithm that will do that because I certainly don’t know of any.

Your match-up is also unbalanced. Claiming it’s ok, number 2 & 3 are close is just frown worthy. Nor did you provide any answer, just more unsupported statements.

I would love for there to be some more consistent quality wvw instead of it just being “ok” during prime and horribly skewed at any other time.

Guess my hopes of you not being a troll and coming up with something decent were in vain. Feel free to troll on and spread ignorance, I’m done.

in WvW

Posted by: Richard.8207

Richard.8207

Making WvW 24-hour is a terrible idea because it is just plain less fun for tons of players. Most players on any of the three sides of the HoD-SBI-ET matchup on Sunday would attest to how awesome it was that people had over 48 hours to entrench their core holdings while still having a constant flux of outer holdings. And SBI’s golem army couldn’t really ever happen in a 24 hour match. Sure the match kind of disintegrated on Monday, but at best that shows we should have 2 weekly matches of Friday-Sunday and Monday-Thursday. I still prefer longer matches (I want those 2 week matches already) since I enjoy the depth added by long-term planning in a game, but I do accept there are convincing arguments for a Fri-Sun and Mon-Thurs schedule. I just haven’t seen any argument that does even a decent job of justifying 24-hour matches.

Allowing the merc idea would be decent, although you’d probably need to provide incentive for people to stick with whatever server pops instead of constantly jumping in and out until they get a winning side. It sounds like it would take a long time to develop though.

A similar idea to the merc thing that is easier to implement is just having overflow copies of the game that just don’t impact server ratings. That would also free up the option to restrict the “real” server battles to having equal numbers on all 3 sides without causing people to be unable to play the game.

in WvW

Posted by: Exewre.2837

Exewre.2837

When i read nightcapping, my mind is thinking nightslacking
Especially this week with germans coming in our division.
They are as much as us during night sometimes more some time of the night. When they are less they defend well and are used to upgrade everything
we have fun fights till 6 am at least. the 6/8 am period is really a transition period between night and day teams where we are still dominant but its just a few nights and it can change in the future just by some organisation since its just a 2h gap

So the third server which is whinning since weeks against nightcapping find itself in a nightslacking position against us 2. Just hope they will be remplace by a non slacker next week to have 3 side all night fights

(edited by Exewre.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: Raze.5420

Raze.5420

Why is it that it is always the same ignorant people peddling their trash about the “massive” issue of night capping?? If you trolls hadn’t noticed – you are in the minority. The are thousands of players who play in US prime on US servers or EU prime on EU servers that are (OMG!!!) still playing and enjoying WvWvW. They haven’t quit, they don’t spend 90% of their day on these forums having a sooky la la tantrum.

They are the majority – you are not.

in WvW

Posted by: Kazim.2043

Kazim.2043

2.Mercenary-Tired of being in a 6 hour que? que up as a merc and be tossed into a random wvw encounter on a free slot. Not including matches where your server is involved of course. This bulks up low pop servers with mercs and mercs can receive special rewards for their action while not waiting several hours to join wvw.

Brilliant idea. Solution to excessive queues and Night capping at the same time. Gold Award from me

Izuvac.5713 “…like imagine 2 taliban server against 1 american…”

in WvW

Posted by: EnochDagor.6185

EnochDagor.6185

snip
snip

I too think this is a brilliant idea. But if ANet does implement it, please take into account parties (I would like to play with my group if possible). So a mercenary group could help a failing server.

EDIT: I would also like to add that ANet needs to ensure that mercenaries are popped off a server when that server’s queue begins to reach full cap. Just pop a message (with a timer or something) indicating that the server is doing well on its own and that your services are no longer required. shrug The point being not to exacerbate the queue problem.

80 Elementalist – Sanctum of Rall
Various other classes for figuring out how to kill em (thief, warrior, mesmer, etc…)
War is much more fun when you’re winning! – General Martok

(edited by EnochDagor.6185)

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t think this is a solution on its own, but I think it’d be a great idea anyway. Overflow servers have proved their value already, and this would be the same thing. One thing I’d have to suggest, though, would be some kind of prioritisation for servers you’ve merced for already.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

1. There is no Night capping issue as it is a 24/7 match. America is not the center of the universe. You give us a bad name.

2. The only good from this thread is the merc proposal. The problem with it though is who will want to queue to help a losing spawncamped server as that will be the case almost every time.
The real issue with people thinking that their hard work is useless is because of the way the bonuses are built. The scoring system hurts WvW.

My solution
1. Make the scoring specifically for ranking purposes.
2. Give each Tower, Fort, and supply camp a portion of the buffs we would received to add up to half of max.
3. Make the castle double your current buffs meaning if one team had everything AND the castle, they would be maxed out as if they hit 500k points now.

This would take the sting out of massive losses because we can still get server buffs. This would encourage play throughout the week instead of simply giving up after the steamroll.
This would give measurable benefits for every point you take and hold.

in WvW

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

maybe have 3 points counting system, one that counts during the day, one that counts during the night and one total.
It wouldnt solve the matchup but atleast people would see which server is the best during day and night.

in WvW

Posted by: Vitrol.1576

Vitrol.1576

1) Open an Asian Datacenter
2) Quebec = North America
3) Force Regional WvWvW
4) Tone down Orbs
5) Increase Underdog Bonus
6) Implement Mercenaries
7) Fix bugs/exploits

WvWvW fixed.

in WvW

Posted by: iiMulch.2138

iiMulch.2138

24 hour matches are a horrible idea. Get some unemployed people on your server to play at night or stop whining.

in WvW

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Personally, I would rather see points scale based on the level of competition. If all servers are full, lots of points should be up for grabs. If only 1 server is full, there should be less points up for grabs.

The is way people still earn points no matter what the scenario, but more points are rewarded based on the level of competition instead of a flat number like it is now.

in WvW

Posted by: Rocksors.7830

Rocksors.7830

*day capping

Is there a profanity filter on this or something? Every one keeps posting about night capping but its all the people capping during the day thats the problem.

Isle Of Janthir [AR]
Rocksors: 80 Guardian, Althalus: 80 Thief, Birigitte: 80 Ranger, Roacsors: 80 Warrior