My WvW improvement wishlist

in WvW

Posted by: Cymru.3942

Cymru.3942

I have been around as long as MMO’s have existed after flirting with a few of the very first MMO’s I found DAoC. DAoC was in my opinion the best WvW experience that I have had. I was hoping that WAR would replicate and improve on what DAoC was but in my opinion it failed and I was left disappointed…so much so I nearly thought about going back to WoW…*shudder*

Aion had aspects which were good for a short time but in GW2 I have found a game that is very close to what DAoC offered in terms of a WvW experience and I love it….However, in my opinion, it needs a lot of work to ensure it’s survival.

Now without wanting to sing the praises of previous games if just a little of the following was implemented in GW2 it would make me a happy bunny.

Rewards and progression be they skill and ability rewards or armour and weapon rewards or both!

Larger maps…the current map size is very small and encourages zerging make the maps bigger it will force people to defend and means that an entire map will not be captured within an hour.

Towers and keeps should not be able to be captured from the safety of another tower or keep by trebbing.

Increase the hitpoints of walls and doors…there should be no way a door melts in 30 seconds when under heavy attack make people work harder to get in if a tower or keep can be captured in a couple of minutes its crazy. With bigger maps and stronger structures it will force servers to play more strategically and a nights objective for a guild group would be tonight we are going to x to try and take that keep…not we are going to y borderlands and by the end of the night its all green. When an objective is captured it should not be able to be recapped within a few minutes.

The tickover time for scores and the weekly scores needs to be rethought….no easy answer here though due to time zone coverage of some servers but with current tickover times servers can rack up a huge lead in a short space of time as they live in a different part of the world.

The orbs could be brought back but this would only work if not bugged and if the maps were a lot bigger. Again a nights objective could then be we are going to x and we are going to make an attempt on their Orb…if successful we would need to get it back to our territory and there it shall reside until the enemy wins it back. It should not be reset automatically it should be won back or stay there until the end of the matchup.

Either a keep is contested or not lets just have 1 type of swords show up please

There is more but even if the above was implemented I think it would make a huge difference

Ghiho of Gandara (WvW Guild)
You snooze you lose

in WvW

Posted by: Erlex.4518

Erlex.4518

The most important thing right now I think is rewards. There’s no reason to WvW other than non existent realm pride.

Also IMO there really needs to be some more individuality. Everyone is a nobody and means nothing, which makes you not really want to try to do anything spectacular, it encourages you to just run around with everyone else in a big zerg and try to hit as many things as you can for loot bags and karma.

It’s not like these things are new, every successful MMO of the past 12+ years had both of these things. People want to feel accomplished and unique, not “just another player”. I really hope they are doing something with this… Im hopeful….but I was expecting a big PvE patch too…

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

WvW or PVP games should never get stat wise (gear) improvements!!!
These kinda games should be about skill not gear!
Or who did play most.
There shouldnt be a large gap between old and new players. or players with a life and players that play 24/7

I am an old DAOC player also and the expensions with the special weapons etc was one of the reasons players left DAOC.
Game started to be unbalanced and people gotting one shotted..

If you want to give some kinda player reward for doing good, it should be weekly based. So with server reset top players will get a bonus the next week.
Also the type of bonus should not be a stat bonus but like a extra good ability in a tool belt slot (F5) on a very large timer (hours) or that you need to charge up by getting points before you can use it.

The determine who are the best guild/ player should always be based on playtime the player played in wvw.. so an average… Same counts four guild (devided by number of members been active in wvw last week) With ofcourse with a minium play time.
Also it should be a good balanced point system between kills/rezzes/using supplies/defending/taking/deaths etc..

(edited by Dutchares.6084)

in WvW

Posted by: Tyrion.6508

Tyrion.6508

I don’t believe he is talking about adding “special sword of one-shot death dealing fire” to the game as a reward. What he is talking about it adding a way to accumulate a type of currency over time played in WvW in order to purchase a reward of some type. People run dungeons for the xp and the chests. Unless your zerg is mowing down the other servers, your are not getting xp and the rewards from WvW are laughable.

I support some type of incentive for WvW. I play it because I love the randomness of battling other players, but even that gets old after a while.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

The most important thing right now I think is rewards. There’s no reason to WvW other than non existent realm pride.

LOL. Because so many people play pickup basketball games or soccer matches for the rewards, right?

If you don’t enjoy WvW simply for the style of play it offers, go find something that you do enjoy … but please don’t try to turn WvW into something that it wasn’t intended to be. WvW in GW2 could use a lot of help (fewer technical issues, better balance, more intelligent ranking, more content, bigger and better maps, etc) but turning it into an individual glory hunt or gear grind is not on that list.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Grimpaw.7493

Grimpaw.7493

I would love to see more cosmetic rewards in WvW as well. Backpacks (or a toggle) that have a battle standard on them (to make following easier), placeable items that are purely cosmetic (skulls on spears, gravestone markers, warning bells/horns that can be used, dueling ring, etc).

~ Sleight of Mind ~ mesmer
~ Ann Du Lance ~ guardian
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

Anet, if you are listening. Some changes you might consider.

Guild Commander Tags – These are tags only guild members can see. Make them show as a gold icon on the map.

Camp upgrades – Allow for more, better upgrades for smaller guilds to defend camps, those guilds who can’t really afford to upgrade towers/keeps. Something like putting up easy to break walls, set up traps, or any number of things.

Character travel time – I thought you had the right idea giving the Ranger, Necro, and Elementalist a full time 25% run speed, even though I didn’t think the Elementalist needed it. But you forgot the two slowest classes in the game, the Guardian, and the Mesmer. Please consider adding a more reliable movement speed for these two classes.

Orbs – These should be keep specific items that are captured, and moved to a keep to strengthen those who fight “inside the keeps”.

Guild buffs placed on claimed keeps – These should be zone wide for the guild.

World vs world should be a FOUR SERVER MATCH UP.

Reward system: Defense reward system kind of sucks because you constantly see the timer tick to zero, while the enemy is still beating on the gate, and you do not get rewarded. This is the best place to reward PUGs, or give PvE players a reason to leave PvE, and defend keeps/towers thier server owns. To encourage more participation in a defense, a person should be rewarded every single time the defense timer ticks to “zero”, even if the enemy is still beating on the wall/gates.

UI Changes: I think the most important UI change should be putting a place where we store our consumables so we don’t have to open our bags to use them. Better yet, if you didn’t want to apply this UI change, allow for us to apply an “auto consume” feature on our foods so that once the duration has run its course, our toons automatically use the consumable again. We had the auto consume feature in Everquest II, and it worked extremely well.

Supplies, more importantly supply runs: The 15 supply buff from guilds should be a 20 supply buff “AT” supply camps, and players should be allowed to assist keep/tower workers in thier upgrades, allowing them to run to a supply camp, pick up supplies, and go click on the “structure” being upgraded inside the keep/tower. That alone would solve a lot of problems for guilds trying to do upgrades.

Road Marker “Banners”: These should emit a pulsing buff (600 radius) for 10 seconds of swiftness, instead of the need to click on them for a buff for 20 seconds of swiftness. This would require more to be used, and allow for a better synergy, with use. Also there is a major bug with these that makes them disappear too early.

A major class change I’d like to see;

Warrior I’m seeing fewer, and fewer banners in WvW, probably because they’re tedious. To assist Warriors out, I thik once they pick up a banner, it should put the banner on thier back, or the back of the person carrying the banner. Allowing for them to carry the banner, and utilize their weapon skill set. This is a UI change, basically making “F8” the banners special buff, like Banner of Disc’s “Fury Buff”, and making “F9” the Banners Swiftness buff. This would allow for one Warrior to provide multiple banners to be moved by multiple people in a large scale fight, without losing the weapons they’ve traited for. It would also be cool if the banners represented the guild the Warrior belongs to.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Xanex.1397

Xanex.1397

WvW only skills and abilities are coming in a patch in Feb. Sounds a lot like the DAoC RP’s. Hopefully more armor and weapons are available for purchase via Badges and the prices are more reasonable so i never have to PvE again.

80 Ele/Warrior/Mesmer
Server – Dragonbrand
Guild – DS

in WvW

Posted by: Grimpaw.7493

Grimpaw.7493

+1 jkctmc.8754 suggestions
-1 to DoAC’s RPs (at least any additional skills or abilities unless they are mainly for improving leadership (i.e. sound/visual effects, UI improvements))
+1 for WvW rewards to aid in obtaining PvE items (i.e. unlikely I’ll ever do a dungeon more than once)

~ Sleight of Mind ~ mesmer
~ Ann Du Lance ~ guardian
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

Disagree on larger maps, don’t get why people hate zergs and I love the concept that you can treb garrison from the towers.

Disagree on personal buffs or wvw stuff to get added for the ‘good’ players. WvW ain’t about individual skill, it is about teamwork and you already get buffs.

Disagree on more health for gates/walls (thought you wanted to discourage zerging, this encourages it), this will make nightcapping way to strong. It would take an entire day to get your stuff back. This means just a free win for Vizu.

Disagree on 1 type of swords, <3 ninja capping it is a great aspect of the game

Disagree on warrior carrying banner on back, that is plain OP. Learn to place em right in the ground and trait right for wider effect radius.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in WvW

Posted by: sceptus.9415

sceptus.9415

1. Wish: Get rid of zergs and do something for small group action
Hern | Sceptus | Vulkus | Colbane
[DIS] and [TTC]
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

1. Wish: Get rid of zergs and do something for small group action

There is plenty for small groups, and solo to do. I run solo all the time. We have camps, towers, can knock down outer walls of keeps without putting up crossed swords, can interrupt supply runs people do, to siege up places, or slow/stop reinforcements.

A game should have more options, not fewer, so forgive me when I scoff at the idea of getting rid of zergs, you know those undergeared 80s, the upleveled low levels, all seeking Karma/Xps. I won’t even mention the potential for larger battles and those who enjoy them.

Quit being selfish, and childish and create your own atmosphere, and leave those to their own, and quit complaining that everyone else isn’t playing as you do. It’s hypocritical of you, considering you’re not running solo nearly all the time, like myself, and it would be absurd for me to suggest you do so.

Let’s champion the idea for more content for everyone, not less.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Jiiub.7135

Jiiub.7135

The ONE thing WvW does NOT need is rewards, i dont play for some fake gold(being able to buy the exotic gear is ok), i play for fun, i play WvW for the gameplay as i find PvE extremely boring and impossible to play.

Rorgash
Necromancer
[IRON] Gaming

(edited by Jiiub.7135)