My humble opinion on WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: jinxlaw.9467

jinxlaw.9467

I just want to share my opinion, on what i think could make WvW great and fun again.

First things first, when you think about WvW, you immediately think “Blobs”, that is the sad thing about. However WvW was never meant to be so blob focused.

I suggest to put on an anti-zerging mechanism, and go back to the roots of how WvW was supposed to be like.
Bet my account, someone on the dev team suggested anti-zerging at some point.

Anyways, its not so hard to see that WvW isn’t going anywhere. On top of it’s shallowness and mindless game of outnumbering your enemy, it needs to be reworked.
Also i highly doubt a new expansion will add depth into WvW.

but anyways, WvW needs to be reworked to fit the profile of small groups.

Secondly, GvG. Whether you like it or not, its there.
ANET, refuses to acknowledge its existence which quite frankly, made good players quit the game.

Imagine GvG as an “Untapped oil well”, if dug, filtered and distributed and sold right, will make you a fortune, and i think GvG deserves to be handled properly.
Tons of new mmorpg’s are giving GvG so much attention, and where do you think those guilds will be heading?

Anyways, for example, you create a “GvG League” mechanic where guilds can fight and whoever wins, gets points to rise UP in the leaderboard of the league.
Of course, not every guild will be in the leaderboard just the ones that specifically request joining that leaderboard, with minimum 15 players on each guild.

The GvG League should be like: One GvG won = rewarded certain points,
One GvG lost = No points given/ or, you lose points.

A mixture of the English Premier League scoring and PvP League scoring with a few tweaks.
However, every month the leaderboard score will be reset to give guilds another chance to try harder for 1st Rank next time.

I honestly have tons more ideas, but i’m feeling skeptical about WvW and GvG ever changing, so i will not bother.

Anyways sorry for the long post.
Hope someday WvW will become how it should be.

Thank you for reading and bless you.

(edited by jinxlaw.9467)

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

You mention an anti-zerg mechanic, but your only suggestion is to add GvG. It’s not even clear if this GvG you want to add has anything to do with WvW.

I’m not sure what to do with this post.

Also, while you provided no details, I don’t think an anti-zerg anything is going to fly. You can reward players for splitting up, but you can’t punish them for sticking together.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Op- I don’t think you understand what wvw (realm vs realm) is about.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

“World versus World (also known as WvW) is a Player versus Player game mode where players from three different servers, or worlds, battle in the Mists. It features open-world combat on five large maps with up to several hundreds of players per map.”

“The inspiration for World versus World came from Dark Age of Camelot’s realm vs. realm battles.”

…So yes, it was designed for mass player combat.

Edit- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realm_versus_Realm

“Realm versus Realm (RvR) is a type of Player versus Player gameplay in Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) where the player base is divided over multiple preset realms that fight each other over game assets.1 This differs from normal Player versus Player combat in that Realm versus Realm usually involves a combat-based game, as opposed to one where sporadic Player versus Player combat occurs.23 In this context, “realm” generally means a geographic territory or political affiliation.

This concept is also referred to as Group versus Group,1 Race versus Race, Nation versus Nation, or Faction versus Faction depending on the specific implementation in the game under discussion. Contrast with “Guild versus Guild” games (or GvG, in an alternate usage from Group versus Group), such as Shadowbane or Age of Conan, in which players organize themselves into factions of their own creation and design rather than realms which are prebuilt by the game developers."

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

I agree with Sviel… I don’t quite understand what this anti-zerg mechanism you’re proposing is, or how GvG is going to play a part in it.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

How would you decide who even wins a GvG in open world combat? The honor system? Hahahaha…

in WvW

Posted by: Miyafuji.1340

Miyafuji.1340

The fact that its blob vs blob, aka high amount of players on both sides is fine. That is what this game mode is meant to be.

What is not OK is how its played, aka all the boonshare, all the “be tight as possible”. Aka the more people stack and more tightly they move, the harder they are to kill. Sometimes to so absurd level that they are almost untouchable (if they run good setup on all parties and enemy does not have tons of boon corrupt).

This is what I would change. Make offensive skills more anti-blob. Make the boms, veils, symbols deal more damage to the center, punishing tightly stacked groups more. OR skills with up to 50 targets radius 180-240 dealing more damage to its center the more targets are being hit.

Skills like that that would break the stacking playstyle.

I am princess Tomiko Miyafuji, daughter of Lady Zenith the unforgiving…. beware…
My old backstory: http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1873740

in WvW

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

The fact that its blob vs blob, aka high amount of players on both sides is fine. That is what this game mode is meant to be.

What is not OK is how its played, aka all the boonshare, all the “be tight as possible”. Aka the more people stack and more tightly they move, the harder they are to kill. Sometimes to so absurd level that they are almost untouchable (if they run good setup on all parties and enemy does not have tons of boon corrupt).

This is what I would change. Make offensive skills more anti-blob. Make the boms, veils, symbols deal more damage to the center, punishing tightly stacked groups more. OR skills with up to 50 targets radius 180-240 dealing more damage to its center the more targets are being hit.

Isn’t the whole purpose of boon share is so you do not die? Blob vs blob who wins? The winner is the one who doesn’t get disoriented and sticks together. Down a commander or make the group disperse is the clear winner in most cases.

I notice also that the blob gets chased but no one finishes off the downed sometimes. I have seen 25 take out 35+ all because they do not get in tight. Just my opinion.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: PabbyGaul.9682

PabbyGaul.9682

You mention an anti-zerg mechanic, but your only suggestion is to add GvG. It’s not even clear if this GvG you want to add has anything to do with WvW.

I’m not sure what to do with this post.

Also, while you provided no details, I don’t think an anti-zerg anything is going to fly. You can reward players for splitting up, but you can’t punish them for sticking together.

OP just makes 2 separate points. He thinks blobs suck and gvg would be great if supported. I dont think gvg was an answer to his first concern.

If you want to see blobs devolve into smaller groups or atleast spread out more increase aoe cap. Once upon 2012 , 4 meteor showers killed 40 ppl standing in the same spot.

I tots agree that anet should support gvg

in WvW

PabbyGaul.9682

How would you decide who even wins a GvG in open world combat? The honor system? Hahahaha…

I think OP is suggesting anet implement gvg arena and interface for gvg that would handle wins/loses.

As far as open field you win when the oyher guild is all dead. Most gvg groups record and upload videos…all the time. Mostly to review performance. So ya…there generally isnt a disagreement about who wom or lost.

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

To address the first point, Anet has struggled to come up with a fair way to help smaller groups against larger numbers, but the problem is: whatever benefits the little guy, benefits the zerg more. Not an easy thing to work around.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I have become a big fan of zerg gameplay over the years and I see the GW2 zerg as an ideal route for new players into learning better gameplay and tactics.

if the only successful way to enjoy yourself is to join a large zerg, or wait and hope that more players log on so you can enjoy our content, we will have failed miserably as a development team.
[..] zerg-based play won’t be the most efficient way for players to succeed in our game.

-source: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/newsletter/unveiled-3/
This is the granddaddy of WvW – he is working on another game. His idea for discouraging the zerg is to offer carrots, sticks and CCtools so that zergs can be busted by groups. I fear that this will be a mistake that will reduce his player-base significantly. It could be that only hardcore GvGs happen there.

I prefer the welcoming community-oriented zergs of GW2.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

I don’t think it would be much fun if I couldnt get into a massive battle inside SMC. Those are the battles most people get pumped for.

On a side note, I think WvW should be flexible and allow for large scale fights and smaller scale 5-10 person per side fights. But this is up tot he players Anet can do things to influence it but alot of what goes on in WvW is determined by large groups of players.

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

GvG = Zerg v. Zerg.

And since most pug zergs have a majority on the server teamspeak anyway, there’s pretty much no difference other than optimized builds/gear.

And half the time the guilds prefer to fight the pug zergs rather than other guilds. Pathetic.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

(edited by Turk.5460)

in WvW

Posted by: MarkBecks.6453

MarkBecks.6453

The servers were never designed for 3 blobs converging on a single point, lag, skill loss, ad naseum. If a blob is bigger than 10 players, cause them to have vulnerability, the more players, the more vulnerable the group becomes, major on the major issues, not major on the minors, but then, this is my opinion, enough said!

in WvW

Posted by: Luci.7018

Luci.7018

Isnt Guild Halls the area where ppl can do 20v20 GvG (or whatever numbers) , and if that fanbased event have enought of viewers they can official support it?

Have ppl tried since the x-pack was realeased ?

Cant be too dificult for 10 teams (x20 members) to c horde materials into that single Guild Hall and fully upgrade it to tier 3 in a single week ?

On break

(edited by Luci.7018)

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Isnt Guild Halls the area where ppl can do 20v20 GvG (or whatever numbers) , and if that fanbased event have enought of viewers they can official support it?

Cant be too dificult for 10 teams (x20 members) to c horde materials into that single Guild Hall and fully upgrade it to tier 3 in a single week ?

The guild hall arena isn’t big enough, Anet had been told this multiple times even in beta that it wasn’t big enough, to the point that they said they would work on a bigger arena later which has never happened.

They needed to just design a mega server zone that has a huge colosseum. Let that be the wvw lobby, like heart of the mist which is under megaserver and just got it’s own free for all arena. I say needed, because there isn’t that many gvg guilds left at this point.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

The guild hall arena isn’t big enough, Anet had been told this multiple times even in beta that it wasn’t big enough, to the point that they said they would work on a bigger arena later which has never happened.

They needed to just design a mega server zone that has a huge colosseum. Let that be the wvw lobby, like heart of the mist which is under megaserver and just got it’s own free for all arena. I say needed, because there isn’t that many gvg guilds left at this point.

Something something something Obsidian Sanctum Arena.

But as I said earlier, “GvG” guilds would rather be taking up spots in the borderlands, where they can steamroll less organized pug zergs to make their epeins wiggle, than to use resources already available to them to have fair zerg battles with other guilds.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Luci.7018

Luci.7018

Have the Guilds have tried atleast to put some LoS items (lost of sight) and hide behind them for some guerrila tactics ?

Or tried for 4 months in a row with those small arenas , to put consistent 1000+ viewers , that will will showcase that the community supports and enjoy the GvG (and will w8 till the bigger maps are released by the company) ?

And i am so sure about beta . I
f i remember corectly there where some dudes from the WvWvW that where watching and discussing in the official GW2 twitch , the event from Pax for the introduction of the expansion .
And few days later some other guy in Reddit site where saying something ‘’ i have seen the video and , i have calculate that the area is too small ’’ … or something

On break

(edited by Luci.7018)

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Something something something Obsidian Sanctum Arena.

But as I said earlier, “GvG” guilds would rather be taking up spots in the borderlands, where they can steamroll less organized pug zergs to make their epeins wiggle, than to use resources already available to them to have fair zerg battles with other guilds.

Something something something yes they use it when a gvg has been planned and they expect to be there a while. Most gvg’s that happen on borderlands are random skirmishes, they butt heads a couple times in the map and then maybe ask to take it to south for a couple rounds.

I’ve had my fair share of problems with gvg guilds ruining homebl, but you don’t really have to worry as much, since like I said not much of them around these days anyways.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

PabbyGaul.9682

Not all servers are blob servers. T1 t2 cant really help it. If you want smaller blobs go t3 and t4. Some servers are very guild oriented others are pugmander oriented. Iys a cultural thing mostly

in WvW

Posted by: jinxlaw.9467

jinxlaw.9467

I understand nothing can be done about the first point.
However, let me clarify myself on the second point. By “GvG League” i meant something similar to this game’s system:
https://albiononline.com/en/killboard/gvg

in WvW

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

I just want to share my opinion, on what i think could make WvW great and fun again.
…………
Hope someday WvW will become how it should be.

Thank you for reading and bless you.

In my opinion you don’t consider what player base likes . GvG is dead and it interests only to a little part of players.
WvW is for the most formed from 2 kind of players :
pve mostly oriented players who loves to go togegher in zerg and to fight in great blobs in which you target as many enemy as you can behind a commander and more oriented pvp players which usually prefer roaming and balanced fights .
This are 2 different ways of playing … roaming builds are quite often optimization for wvw of the PVP builds while in zerg quite everything can work … ( the numbers make the differences ) . I don’t see much space for gvg becouse it seems to me that only a little part of players has interest in it . I don’t like zerging and usually i roam alone in enemy maps but i see that the greatest part of players like going in a blob so i can understand why anet ignores completely GVG. Probably they could have modified obsidian sanctum with not much work for gvg but they did not waste time on it becouse the big part of players don’t care on it. Till some monthes ago i thought that the way was to force blob to split becouse i like roaming but i understood i was wrong. People love zerg and love to fight 50 vs 50 or also 120 vs 50 …. so , wisely , anet let them do it . What you want is different from what the most part of players want… and anet wisely takes care of the major of the players. forgive me for my bad english

in WvW

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

If you want to break up Zergs, introduce friendly-fire! Haha, imagine if they did that, it would be hilarious…

in WvW

Posted by: ThunderPanda.1872

ThunderPanda.1872

GVG? Just scrap pvp and have gvg instead, probally get more esport attention

Send me 1000g and I will stop trolling WvW forum.
I have a dream – Our Anet Senpai will make WvW Great Again!
WvW Forum is more competitive than WvW

in WvW

Posted by: ArcanistSeven.8720

ArcanistSeven.8720

to break the stacking playstyle they could add a form of agony but with this agony you take increased damage for how many people are stacked onto.

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

If you want to break up Zergs, introduce friendly-fire! Haha, imagine if they did that, it would be hilarious…

That’s just funnier than I ever imagined it could be!

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: shiri.4257

shiri.4257

everytime a gvg happens, another player quits. that’s why they call them scrims now! so everyone is a winner!

~Kasumei/Machiato
Desert Spectre [VII]-Crystal Desert
“You’re never out of the fight.”