My view on WvW and suggestions

in WvW

Posted by: IQGoesgwii.9273

IQGoesgwii.9273

Hello fellow GWII’ers.

I have recently explored the world of war, military, combat and tactics (not by actually being in a war, but reading, watching documentaries, etc…), and since GW II has a unique war experience to it (WvW), I thought Id share some ideas on how this game mode (in my humble opinion) could be greatly improved.

Without further ado, here’s what I propose:

1. A bigger world. This is crucial for a proper war to be able to develop, as it offers more terrain and variability in tactics. It would also require much more scouting and caution to be able to act accordingly, aswell as add importance to the siege. Therefore I would get rid of the borderlands as such, and make Eternal battlegrounds a fierce map the size of all 4 together with roaring war. This would benefit the gameplay in such a manner that everybody would be focusing on a single battlefield (and being able to react more quickly and powerfully) therefore removing the currently often divided communities problem, and adding even more strength and connection to every server (or group). Another bonus is, working on a single map is easier to manage (you always know where siege is to refresh it, you always see everything of importance), yet harder (or different at the very least) to master without caution, as you cannot just withdraw to one of the empty borderlands when things go south for you, but have to outplay the enemy on the field instead. Note that this point is in a way crucial for others to properly work and be utilized, but if the community and/or the administration do not agree with it, it can be ignored aswell. A mild alternative is to make a way to travel from EB to a borderland via a cave near the edge (simillar to the JP maybe?) wirhout a waypoint, and make borderlands waypointless as such (except your home one). I would be honored and glad to help develop these ideas further aswell, via map designs, etc…

2. Environment is key. Sun Tzu (an ancient chinese general and the author of The Art Of War) mentioned that without great understanding of the terrain and proper use of it, an army shall never be victorious. GW II already has some environmental strategies included, but more could be added to make the gameplay more strategic, rewarding for the cautious, and penalising for the easygoing. An example of this could be a giant dam that would work much like a wall, only being able to take siege damage, and once collapsed, would destroy all siege placed on the river (which would flow strategically through the map), knock-down all players in it (even allied to the player who collapsed the dam, so be extra cautious!) and release agressive skelk throughout the map. This would mean that the commanders would always require good map awareness, scouts would be needed to keep an eye out on the dam, and wise, cunning players could beat (or put to shame at the very least) armies of players running around with no caution. Alternatively we could add rainy weather ocasionally, disabling any fiery siege (again adding the importance of environment), add footsteps of some sort (perhaps only when 10 or more people run over a single spot? Perhaps avoidable if walking slowly?) to make enemy tracking and counting easier (goes great with the larger map idea), adding jumping puzzles to strategically important locations (as a second path, or sometimes as the only one), etc… A way to implement the jumping puzzles would be to make a jumping puzzle extend from the outside to the inner part of a keep, over which an army could sneak into a keep by being cunning more easily, but during the jump they would be a vulnerable target for even a single defender (AoE fear, damage to the jumping stones, arrow carts, knock downs/backs, etc…). Again you could ofcourse fake a door attack and have your army travel over the puzzle for real instead to add more cunning and tactics. This would again call for constant defense and scouting.

2.1. The map must be filled with caverns, narrow passages, dense forestation and vegetation and simillar terrain types. These can be used as an advantage towards the enemy as a hiding spot, ambush, artilery preparation site or anything else. Some of these need to be near the main roads for extra danger. Water gates need to stay as they’re an amazing feature.

3. No combat swords!!! Big combat swords (signs on the map) are a way to encourage easygoing and simple minded commanding and zerging, and their removal can only be good. (requires scouts once again) However, there would/should be upgrades such as Scouting Guards available for keeps and simillar objectives, which would trigger the sword effect should a guard engage in combat with an enemy player. Should the scout see 10+ players, swords should change in color to signal the difficulty of a fight. More on this will be explained in the next paragraph.

4. Supplies are crucial. Should the enemy have defenses so strong that a hurricane cannot blow away, cutting off the supplies you shall still prevail. Another Sun Tzu inspired feature, which would increase the ability to win a fight with brain furthermore, and punish those only seeking fights, zerging brainlessly, or trying to bunker down on one spot permanently. Supplies are the only cost one should ever have with WvW (besides gear and siege obviously), but are a great cost. Supplies should be taken from an objective fast, should the team decide to reinforce it with Scouting Guards for example, and such a reinforcement would cost supplies every couple of minutes (to avoid putting an objective on steroids then starting slacking) so you should only ever hire these guards when the objective is likely to be attacked and you’ve no men to spare and scout it, or are attacking a distant objective and need to buy time. This would remove super built keeps being inaccessible, as the supply drain would be very significant under these conditions. Timers for such bonuses would still exist, but be slightly lower to compensate for the permanent effect they gave. The point of this feature is: No slacking, be active! Small objectives (yaks) are of great importance aswell so small teams or single roamers can benefit greatly; Good map awareness is needed for economic field control; Dont overspend supply, but dont leave it there either! More upgrades ideas will be coming shortly if the community finds this feature reasonable and interesting.

4.1. Man-held supplies in the time of need. Should a keep be running very low on supplies while under attack and the commander decides he requires supply more than men, a player could pick up supply from one spot, and take it to another. A player can pick up such supplies only a maximum of 5 at a time, and does not count with his own supply. Instead, it replaces the player’s weapon so he cannot fight with the supplies in hand. Should he carry this supply to a keep, he could leave it there. But while carrying it, he is a free kill. Dropping the supplies takes two seconds (to provide disadvantage in battle as opposed to those with ready weapons) and supplies disappear after dropped (to prevent intentional feeding and trolling). These supplies cannot be used to build without being dropped at an objective first however (or can, depending on the community response, but then take twice the time to build and are not affected by perks that speed this up). Similarly a player carrying these supplies cannot waypoint.

5. Gliding should be allowed, with some restrictions: Taking damage (even from a condition) makes you drop your glider until you fall down (think twice, be cautious); Gliding in combat IS possible (but still interrupted by damage), this is to add abit of dynamic movement; If rain is added (see point 2, Environment) gliding during it is disabled to add extra caution and weather issues. A new item, Thundershock System (developed by the asura, a siege item) is added, which makes a barely visible bubble around it that raises high into the air, that stuns anybody caught gliding above it, sending them into certain death. This is so towers and keeps succeptible to gliding attacks can be easily defended; similarly high ground will be (again, inspired by Sun Tzu’s stratagems) a priority should you want to launch an aerial attack, or prevent one. Whether the item is a siege weapon or a structural upgrade is debatable.

This is as far as the gameplay and mechanics are concerned. Furthermore I will suggest a few upgrades to WvW in other ways, such as rewards. If anybody has any questions or comments regarding this whatsoever, please, post! Should the idea get enough support both by community and GW II administration, I am more than willing to back up the developer team on anything, including providing some basic map drawings and designs, etc…

As far as the rewards go, WvW must make it back into the core game. I think it should return as a map completion requisite, as it is hardly any tougher to achieve than the PvE content, and most of the people with map completion (who got it earlier) agree that it was an outstandingly fun part of it, and very interesting aswell. WvW also needs to have some loot comparable to PvE; my advice regarding this is next:

a) Make a “prestige” counter, that goes up with time, and goes down as you lose objectives. After seizing an objective it is slightly increased, and the loot is somewhat based on the prestige counter of your team. Here’s why: Zerging maps that flip a lot of objectives per hour will have a low prestige counter cause of the constant objective losing. Therefore the loot will be about average for the players (as it is now for example). A map where a team is defending strongly and willingly, slowly taking the upper hand will have a lot of prestige for this team, as they arent losing objectives much and are playing it by brain. This team will be getting better than average loot, but because of how slow they are playing it, abit less frequently. Still, they’ll be getting more loot per hour than the zerging team, thanks to their examplary command. This would prevent WvW from being too rich on rewards (zerging and farming wont work so well) while still being great for casual WvW’ers. Aditionally this adds to the importance of defense and witty plays.

Should this idea be considered to make it into the game, Id happily help the developers shape the right formula for prestige rating.

b) Scouts are left out. Sun Tzu (yes, this man inspired me big time) claims that the scouts are in fact the thing that wins wars. I agree. Loot should be squad based, and the commander should have the option to name several squad members as scouts. By doing so, the commander becomes a lootbag, and whenever he claims a reward (e.g. loot a chest) he gets additional loot for each scout on his team – however he doesnt actually get the loot, loot is just bound to him invisibly- and when a person named as a scout gets in range with the commander, he can actually loot the commander to get his share of loot (just as if he had always been there to claim loot). This way scouts get their share, commander can always kick them out should they be freeloading, etc… Win-win situation.

This is what I have come up with so far; should anything else spark my brain, I will come forth with it. Should I find any interesting comment on this thread, I will publish it.

I have put quite a lot of thought into this, and I find it reasonably good, however it does require time and effort to properly develop. That is why I propose we, the community, help build it.

Let me know how you feel about this.

Regards,
Shadow Master Karil

Regards,
IQGoesgwii

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

hello, i read your post till the point :1. A bigger world.
wich is kinda imposible for a-net servers that are lagging in a 50 vs 50 battle with 20 seconds skill delay.

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in WvW

Posted by: Gudradain.3892

Gudradain.3892

A bigger world?

I would go in the completely different direction if I could. While I understand that a bigger world might make it necessary to make it feels like a real war this is not what WvW is.

WvW is not a war but a game. And, in a game player want to enjoy themselves. A big map include a lot of running until the fun can start. Would you want to run for 20 minutes every time you die? That’s not what I call fun.

Let players get into the action instantly!

Afala – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

A bigger world?

I would go in the completely different direction if I could. While I understand that a bigger world might make it necessary to make it feels like a real war this is not what WvW is.

WvW is not a war but a game. And, in a game player want to enjoy themselves. A big map include a lot of running until the fun can start. Would you want to run for 20 minutes every time you die? That’s not what I call fun.

Bigger question, where are these vast amounts of players to fill that big world he speaks of at? I imagine the dominant server would just roll over the smaller ones all week even worse because of the sheer amount of scouts the larger server has. In addition, some commanders identify they are fighting a losing battle on a map, hence why they get smart and say “moving to X server bl, can’t win this fight”. That’s not only good for the pugs and morale but strategy wise.

We need all four bls.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

I actually always wanted the 4 maps to big combined into one huge map … if Anet was or is able to do the following first:

- increase the map player limit accordingly (4 maps into 1 should yield the same results, sure you can scale it at a certain point to try to help uneven server matches)
- eliminate skill lag on large scale battles altogether

If both of those things could be met, I would absolutely love a huge map where really … objectives couldn’t stand without enough defence, and relying on commanders to bring the legion over to assist is little more than a pipe dream. It should theoretically make more room for say 10 man units to run together, or even for a 10 man unit to say hold and defend a keep, not straying to far away (only controlling immediate objectives surrounding your base)

All that aside, I could only read you posting to 4.1 – and I don’t agree with 4.1 – while some people do enjoy scouting and defending, not everyone wants to spend there time doing that, and having on call supply buff to replenish keep supply I would say is SoL – we alreaady have speedy yaks to help with this, and through a battle of attrition, if you starve an enemy out of supply … the objective should be an easier take.

I’m also not a fan of the jump puzzle idea for sneaking into a keep, unless it gives the keep owners some benefit to build it. It should not be a default design, but an add-on …. I have never seen a castle built with the purpose of making it easier for enemies to get in. So while I kinda like the idea of knocking players with a knockback down to there death, I want to know why should a guild or team build such a device, and to what benefit?

I would assume if the map was large enough …. to avoid the 20 minute running (or the massive collection of players that would be floating around your home base) …. there would be some updated waypoint system to get closer to the action faster. Doesn’t have to be right out the door or the tower next, but something closer.

Scouts already get participation when in squads, plus loot bags from the enemies they kill around their objectives. I don’t think they need to increase the loot, just ensure it’s level with the squad.

Interesting ideas

in WvW

IQGoesgwii.9273

Sorry for a very late reply, I have been away and unable to respond in the past week. Without further ado, here it is:

A bigger world?

I understand that WvW is not a real war (obviously enough, isn’t it?), but a game, however, it was designed (correct me if I’m wrong here?) to simulate an on-going war between three factions (or servers, if you will) for control over the Mists. Which is exactly what a war is anyways. Control over a territory.

Would I want to run 20 minutes every time I die? No. That’s why I’m suggesting changes which would let me become useful again as soon as I respawn. I’m trying to come up with ideas to make every individual count, while still boosting teamwork and big fights.

On the other hand; yes, I would like to see a 20 minute run (honestly, more like 5 minutes, it just feels like 20 cause all you do is run) for a person who died to be able to join his primary group, yes. Why? Because people would then think before they’d walk somewhere, and they’d think before they’d take actions, which is what WvW lacks at this particular moment imho. You don’t simply run around careless if you die cause you’ll just respawn at the same spot. Deaths (especially ones that are a product of careless running) should be penalised in order for people to use their brain properly, imo.

Bigger question, where are these vast amounts of players to fill that big world he speaks of at? I imagine the dominant server would just roll over the smaller ones all week even worse because of the sheer amount of scouts the larger server has. In addition, some commanders identify they are fighting a losing battle on a map, hence why they get smart and say “moving to X server bl, can’t win this fight”. That’s not only good for the pugs and morale but strategy wise.

We need all four bls.

If you’ve read my post carefully, you realise that the map wouldn’t be bigger than the 4 maps there are now. It’d be about the size of the 4 together, so the players would remain unchaged (but gathered into one map instead). Additionally, it would feel ALOT less empty, because right now, 3 out of 4 maps are usually completely dead, whereas one is living. Or sometimes, it’s a ghost town. One server is on EBG, another takes that one server’s BL over because it is available, and the last one takes the second one’s BL because it is free to take. What are we really achieving with this? An ever empty world and 20v1 layouts.

Was there only one map, all the armies would be concentrated on it, and would feel much more live and dynamic. If you feel like you are losing a war, you can still move to another location (from east to west, from south to north, or w/e), and if my advices would’ve been taken into the account, a wise team of defenders would NEVER be losing a war too severly, because if you had a good plan and resource management, you could bunker your objective down.

Also more players would be playing WvW in generally (I hope) because of the new content, new (improved) rewards, map completion purposes and a bigger chance to make a difference. So I think it WvW would be ALOT more live should these changes be taken into account. There always is a possibility I am wrong however.

I actually always wanted the 4 maps to big combined into one huge map … if Anet was or is able to do the following first:

- increase the map player limit accordingly (4 maps into 1 should yield the same results, sure you can scale it at a certain point to try to help uneven server matches)
- eliminate skill lag on large scale battles altogether

If both of those things could be met, I would absolutely love a huge map where really … objectives couldn’t stand without enough defence, and relying on commanders to bring the legion over to assist is little more than a pipe dream. It should theoretically make more room for say 10 man units to run together, or even for a 10 man unit to say hold and defend a keep, not straying to far away (only controlling immediate objectives surrounding your base)

All that aside, I could only read you posting to 4.1 – and I don’t agree with 4.1 – while some people do enjoy scouting and defending, not everyone wants to spend there time doing that, and having on call supply buff to replenish keep supply I would say is SoL – we alreaady have speedy yaks to help with this, and through a battle of attrition, if you starve an enemy out of supply … the objective should be an easier take.

I’m also not a fan of the jump puzzle idea for sneaking into a keep, unless it gives the keep owners some benefit to build it. It should not be a default design, but an add-on …. I have never seen a castle built with the purpose of making it easier for enemies to get in. So while I kinda like the idea of knocking players with a knockback down to there death, I want to know why should a guild or team build such a device, and to what benefit?

I would assume if the map was large enough …. to avoid the 20 minute running (or the massive collection of players that would be floating around your home base) …. there would be some updated waypoint system to get closer to the action faster. Doesn’t have to be right out the door or the tower next, but something closer.

Scouts already get participation when in squads, plus loot bags from the enemies they kill around their objectives. I don’t think they need to increase the loot, just ensure it’s level with the squad.

Interesting ideas

I guess I’ll have to put some more thouhgt into 4.1, I agree.

As far as the jumping puzzle goes, there have been events in history where the defenders would trick the attackers by making their keep appear as if very vulnerable, just to be able to take the upper hand in a fight. A beautiful example of this (though not completely the same terms) is Cao Cao’s trick known as “Empty Fort Strategy”; read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_Fort_Strategy

The defenders would be able to place scouts onto these jumping stones, which are obviously high in the air, and provide great view of the adjacent battlefield. Therefore benefiting in terms of scouting. Also, they could use these stones as an easy way of defense: as mentioned before, one man can completely wipe an enemy group should they choose the jumping puzzle as a way in. In another way, defenders can create a jumping puzzle simply to fool the enemy into thinking that the defenders expect them to come from the JP, whereas the defenders are actually well prepared for the door attack. That way the attackers would bash the doors very easily-minded, and the defenders would just storm them afterwards. Easy win.

Again though, very likely a point I have to put some more thought into.

As far as waypointing goes, I have actually thought of waypoint siege, which could only be deployed a certain range away from enemy objectives, for instance 1000yr from keeps, 10000yr from starting point, 500yr from camps, or something like that. A team could only have 2 (or 1, or 3?) of these set up at once, and they could not be used for the first 5 minutes after deployment (to obviously prevent zergs from teleporting right into action). Though I’m not sure how well that could be developed, and it would aswell require some more looking into, ofcourse.

Thanks alot for all of your comments, they are much appreciated and welcome.

Regards.

Regards,
IQGoesgwii

(edited by IQGoesgwii.9273)

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Others have noted the oddity of requesting bigger maps with a declining player base. Beyond that:

• Your narrow passages request (2.1) sounds lot like the original version of the desert borderlands, which was largely rejected by people. It’s hard to say by how much, but the desert bl was certainly empty in my matchups and Anet’s changes to simplify it was positively received.
  • Removing combat swords (3) was tried and it was an unmitigated failure. It led to more structure flipping without defense and fewer fights in every sense (from roamer to large scale). While it’s true that servers could post scouts/structure babysitters, that’s a boring job that most people don’t want to do, and it undermines the rationale for removing the swords indicator. Meaning, if people are alerted to a structure being sieged anyway (by the scouts), then all the change does is reduce the fun for the poor people who have to babysit.
  • Increasing the importance of supply by making defense more costly (4). The game is already rigged in favour of the attacker rather than the defender (time already favours the attacker). Your changes would skew that much further, especially (but not only) in an outnumbered situation.
  • I can’t imagine a siege situation when it would make sense to divert defenders to running 5 supply at a time (4.1), especially when doing so makes them easy to kill and has them moving slower (due to the loss of run skills, etc). Maybe after a combat is done, but how is that not just expanding the drudgery of wall repair? It just forces people to have to carry less supply more slowly and over longer distances to fill a larger pool.
  • Your gliding idea (5) seems nuts to me. It reduces the likelihood of fights by facilitating stealth capping (especially when combined with no swords… people just silently glide over walls and kill lords) and reducing the likelihood of stumbling over people are heading them off in the field. It’s at odds with the justification you gave for complicating the terrain too (because now people can just bypass it). On the other hand, you’ve proposed lots of ways to completely negate gliding entirely (which compounds the other problems, rather than mitigating them). If every structure gets the upgrade you mentioned, then gliding can’t be used, and the potential for simple damage to be fatal makes it too risky in any sort of fight situation.
  • Your prestige counter (a) seems totally at odds with your stated objectives, and greatly favours blobbing. As though it’s not bad enough to be the weaker server in a matchup, now your enemies will both get better loot AND reduce the quality of yours. Combined with your other changes to make defense way harder (no swords, reduced fortifications through supply changes, gliding) this seems like a recipe for making people not on the stronger side to leave wvw for pve or some other activity, which is definitely in the wrong direction.
  • I like the desire to increase the rewards for scouts (who get left in the cold), but not that your changes (no swords, gliding) lead to more people having to be scouts (it’s boring) nor your mechanism. The mechanism is a little cumbersome even if used as intended (the scouts having to “loot” the commander within a range, the hassle of a commander having to keep track of all current scouts, actually adding them to this list, having more visual clutter (I assume). But it’s also a system in which the commanders likely often won’t use it for scouts, but for people running with them in their guild (just name your buddies for mad loots). In fact, when combined with the other changes, this becomes the more rational thing to do because taking objectives improves the quality of loot, the case for directing people to defense is less rational, using the system for scouts reduces the opportunity to claim this bonus loot (so directing it to people who can more reliably claim it makes more sense).

Anyway, sorry to be a downer about all of your changes. For what it’s worth, I like the imagery of it and the effort you put in. But they just seem counter to boosting fun within the context of this game.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

(edited by Choppy.4183)

in WvW

IQGoesgwii.9273

Others have noted the oddity of requesting bigger maps with a declining player base. Beyond that:

• Your narrow passages request (2.1) sounds lot like the original version of the desert borderlands, which was largely rejected by people. It’s hard to say by how much, but the desert bl was certainly empty in my matchups and Anet’s changes to simplify it was positively received.
  • Removing combat swords (3) was tried and it was an unmitigated failure. It led to more structure flipping without defense and fewer fights in every sense (from roamer to large scale). While it’s true that servers could post scouts/structure babysitters, that’s a boring job that most people don’t want to do, and it undermines the rationale for removing the swords indicator. Meaning, if people are alerted to a structure being sieged anyway (by the scouts), then all the change does is reduce the fun for the poor people who have to babysit.
  • Increasing the importance of supply by making defense more costly (4). The game is already rigged in favour of the attacker rather than the defender (time already favours the attacker). Your changes would skew that much further, especially (but not only) in an outnumbered situation.
  • I can’t imagine a siege situation when it would make sense to divert defenders to running 5 supply at a time (4.1), especially when doing so makes them easy to kill and has them moving slower (due to the loss of run skills, etc). Maybe after a combat is done, but how is that not just expanding the drudgery of wall repair? It just forces people to have to carry less supply more slowly and over longer distances to fill a larger pool.
  • Your gliding idea (5) seems nuts to me. It reduces the likelihood of fights by facilitating stealth capping (especially when combined with no swords… people just silently glide over walls and kill lords) and reducing the likelihood of stumbling over people are heading them off in the field. It’s at odds with the justification you gave for complicating the terrain too (because now people can just bypass it). On the other hand, you’ve proposed lots of ways to completely negate gliding at all (which compounds the other problems, rather than mitigating them). If every structure gets the upgrade you mentioned, then gliding can’t be used, and the potential for simple damage to be fatal makes it too risky in any sort of fight situation.
  • Your prestige counter (a) seems totally at odds with your stated objectives, and greatly favours blobbing. As though it’s not bad enough to be the weaker server in a matchup, now your enemies will both get better loot AND reduce the quality of yours. Combined with your other changes to make defense way harder (no swords, reduced fortifications through supply changes, gliding) this seems like a recipe for making people not on the stronger side to leave wvw for pve or some other activity, which is definitely in the wrong direction.
  • I like the desire to increase the rewards for scouts (who get left in the cold), but not that your changes (no swords, gliding) lead to more people having to be scouts (it’s boring) nor your mechanism. The mechanism is a little cumbersome even if used as intended (the scouts having to “loot” the commander within a range, the hassle of a commander having to keep track of all current scouts (especially tough when map shifting), actually adding them to this list, having more visual clutter (I assume). But it’s also a system in which the commanders likely often won’t use it for scouts, but for people running with them in their guild (just name your buddies for mad loots). In fact, when combined with the other changes, this becomes the more rational thing to do because taking objectives improves the quality of loot, the case for directing people to defense is less rational, using the system for scouts reduces the opportunity to claim this bonus loot (so directing it to people who can more reliably claim it makes more sense).

Anyway, sorry to be a downer about all of your changes. For what it’s worth, I like the imagery of it and the effort you put in. But they just seem counter to boosting fun within the context of this game.

No such thing as a downer, every input is more than welcome as these are merely ideas I’ve had and thought would fit in great; if the community rejects it, so do I, because my goal is to bring WvW to life. :P

About the narrow passages, I actually mostly agree with you now that you’ve put it this way. I still think some passages (such as EoTM) work really nice though. Everybody knows the map and can navigate there completely fine, but yet there are a thousand ambush locations. Just a shame it’s a karma train and not actual WvW.

Moving on, I agree scouting can be a boring job, but I don’t think it would be if maps were more complex, rewards for scouts would be nicer and the impact of scouts would be bigger. People would respect scouts more then and appreciate them, which is something what would bring in more scouts imo. I actually agree here too though in a way, having mobile scouts would be much better than just people sitting on the walls. A scout taking over the north-west corner of the map for instance would then be in charge for ~10 objectives there, and he would go wherever he sees the white swords to check it out. This would be easier for the scout, less boring and equally rewarding, so I definitely stand corrected on this point. Thanks for the enlightment 8D

My idea was not to make the defense more costly; more dynamic for sure though. This change would only really affect long-term (I mean very long-term; 20 minute+) sieges because you couldn’t keep all of your defenses up for ages. It would benefit short term sieges however (in defenders’ way ofcourse) because the defenders could put their objective on steroids for a couple minutes until backup arrives. That would mean a couple minutes of near-invulnerability, but after these minutes, an almost certain defeat. Or you could simply choose to go the medium route (as we go now), and keep a steady defense and supply management. Let me know if you feel better about this change now that I had explained it better (if I had even?), or you are still against it / uncertain about the mechanics behind it.

About the supply running, I pictured it like this: Your enemy is taking over your tower X and there is nothing you can do about it. You are definitely positive the next objective they’ll be taking is keep Y. This keep is a little low on supply, and your backup isn’t ready yet. In the time the enemy takes tower X from you, you can add some supply into keep Y, to make the enemy’s siege a little bit more painful (yes, a very little bit, yet better than killing time on the wall hoping for backup); nevertheless, if 10 people carried 5 supplies to keep Y, that’s 50 supplies, which isn’t that bad either anyways. Especially with added supply importance from point 4. Imo the defenders should be able to keep an objective as long as there is supply in it, that’s my philosophy. Whether they use it for siege to fight back, for gate/wall repairs, or for defensive structural upgrades, is up to them, but they keep should not fall easily.

As far as gliding goes, it would not be possible to glide into an objective for a stealth cap, because of the gliding disruptors. Additionally bigger objectives (towers and higher) have ranged guards, which will hit the gliding enemy into certain death. I had pictured gliding more for adventuring purposes; getting to objectives, sometimes running away even (if the enemy is far enough behind you not to be able to land a hit on you), and sometimes luring the enemy (you glide off a cliff, enemy zerg glides after you, your partner on the ground shoots them down with an arrow cart, gg) even. You could also glide off your own keep /tower in order to chase after an enemy (gliding is a bit faster than running on the ground) and deliver the killing blow; but again it could be a trap should the enemy turn back and hit you in the air. I guess another point that I haven’t completely developed yet; let me know aswell if you find it better now, or still against it.

The prestige counter is meant to benefit the defenders greatly, but was wrongfully introduced by me, nor was it completely developed yet in my mind, for which I owe everybody an apology. It was just an idea to give the defenders equally strong rewards as the attackers get (because of higher prestige, whereas attackers have lower prestige generally). But it would actually discourage people with already low prestige from playing WvW, which I completely forgot about when I made this up. Therefore I no longer believe this would be a welcome change, you are right.

As far as scouts go, it doesn’t seem like a giant hassle to me; scout minds his own business, whereas the commander minds his own. It’s just when the commander is near the scout (for instance, I’m scouting north-west area, and the commander comes here for some reason), the scout would run to the commander, grab his loot, and run around undisturbed again, minding his own business. The commander wouldn’t have to do absolutely anything for the scout. It’s the scout’s job to grab his loot if he wants it. The commander would only have to right click a person in his squad who wishes to be a scout, select option “Mark as scout”, and voila. Everything else is automated. If the commander asks the scout to scout north-west for example, and the scout says he’d rather go afk, commander simply right clicks the scout again, “Unmark as scout”, and boom. We’re at square one again. Seems pretty simple to me, and very rewarding and encouraging for scouts / roamers.

Thank you very much for taking your time and reading and reviewing my suggestions, your comments were very helpful and informative.

Kind regards

Regards,
IQGoesgwii

in WvW

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

20 minutes isn’t really a long term siege, at least not for a keep.

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

remove the aoe cap so we can really zerg bust again.

Native Maguuman

in WvW

IQGoesgwii.9273

Then 30 minutes. Or 40. Heck, I don’t know. 60. It doesn’t really matter, what matters is, the drain would be periodic and dependant on those defending, so they could decide on their own what kind of defense they need. And honestly, I’ve seen keeps flip in way under 10 minutes several times, and that is sad. :P

Thank you for your input nevertheless.

Yup, another matter I would look into. Not sure if you are kidding, or not, but removing the AoE cap would indeed seem like a good idea to me. That way defenders benefit a little, and ignorant commanders can be taken out with ease.

I honestly don’t know why the AoE cap was brought in in the first place….

Regards

Regards,
IQGoesgwii

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Then 30 minutes. Or 40. Heck, I don’t know. 60. It doesn’t really matter, what matters is, the drain would be periodic and dependant on those defending, so they could decide on their own what kind of defense they need. And honestly, I’ve seen keeps flip in way under 10 minutes several times, and that is sad. :P

Thank you for your input nevertheless.

Yup, another matter I would look into. Not sure if you are kidding, or not, but removing the AoE cap would indeed seem like a good idea to me. That way defenders benefit a little, and ignorant commanders can be taken out with ease.

I honestly don’t know why the AoE cap was brought in in the first place….

Regards

Lag…

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

IQGoesgwii.9273

Lag…

Fair point, I’ve never had any serious lag on Gw2 though and I play since day one (actually I’ve played the beta, so day zero-). Besides, if all the world bosses are doing fine on lag, don’t we aswell? Pretty sure I’ve seen more people on some world bosses than I’ve seen in a regular WvW clash… Thanks for your input though, I thought they added it simply because they believed it would be better this way; cause it’s not.

Kind regards

Regards,
IQGoesgwii

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Lag…

Fair point, I’ve never had any serious lag on Gw2 though and I play since day one (actually I’ve played the beta, so day zero-). Besides, if all the world bosses are doing fine on lag, don’t we aswell? Pretty sure I’ve seen more people on some world bosses than I’ve seen in a regular WvW clash… Thanks for your input though, I thought they added it simply because they believed it would be better this way; cause it’s not.

Kind regards

It was mostly for upper tiers and 3 way fighting in close combat like in SMC where you could have up to 240 players mashing buttons, lol.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I’m not going to post a long worded text, but suffice to say I could find little to no agreement with any of the OPs suggestions in their implementation. The spirit is intriguing but the details would only cause further harm to the game.

SBI

in WvW

IQGoesgwii.9273

I’m not going to post a long worded text, but suffice to say I could find little to no agreement with any of the OPs suggestions in their implementation. The spirit is intriguing but the details would only cause further harm to the game.

Thats okay Blockhead, any feedback is appreciated.

Regards

Regards,
IQGoesgwii