Names Plates Amazing job!

in WvW

Posted by: FlOwMaKeRs.8623

FlOwMaKeRs.8623

Thanks WvW Team for this, hope we keep getting more updates like this in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Yup, thanks for the option!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Yes, thanks for a pointless change that’s the complete opposite of what people really wanted out of nametags.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Yes cause we want changes that the majority of players will immediately turn off and not use.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

I found it really dumb and confusing so i switched it off to normal. Like why would the enemies be green dots…..so confusing. It made my tagetting all wonky too….idk if its just the change or the fact targetting has always been wonky but it was better when i turned it off. Now my targetting is back to horrid, but at least its not wonky.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Wift.9862

Wift.9862

The nameplates are awesome. I can finally see all the sweet action going on in battle rather than just a big blob of names moving around evrerywhere. Completely changes the WvW experience and makes it better.

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Better for scouts to be able to count the # of ppl in a blob…now if there was a way to remove the dots from pets/minions/clones lol

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

It also provides enormous clarity to 3-way fights. Instead of just seeing a huge blurry sea of red names, you can clearly see the unique server groups and their positioning. It’s a massively good change to have that capability.

in WvW

Posted by: kroter.1326

kroter.1326

Like why would the enemies be green dots…..so confusing

Because they are from the Green server? And Blue dots – Blue server? And Red dots – Red server? Wow, so confusing, better have those old 3-4 words + guild tag nameplates so you can’t see kitten in a blobfight.

in WvW

Posted by: indiesicky.2874

indiesicky.2874

Yes cause we want changes that the majority of players will immediately turn off and not use.

Signed on, saw it, slew vulgarities at my screen, salted at my guild leader on how to change it as soon as possible. Now, all’s right with the world again. Nameplates lasted a total of 20 seconds for me.

I want to know immediately the servers and ranks I come across. It’s not hard to guess what blobs are fighting either. Zergs are like a Venn Diagram, not a feeding frenzy. It’s one blob pushing into another blob with the overlaps in the middle. Takes 2 seconds to identify which server is which in a 3 way. Nameclutter? In a 40v95, I won’t be stopping to admire the reflections of the sparkling river, the splintered gate of the tower or the hem on the Mithril Invader’s skirt.

This being a toggleable option, I’m fine with that. But I wish more beneficial WvW updates would be worked on instead.

in WvW

Posted by: XTR.9604

XTR.9604

I’m color blind, so that immediately angered me when I couldn’t see my opponents for anything when I logged in. For me being color blind, that just made the game unplayable for me.

I had to switch it back to the normal name plates just to play the game. Can’t complain too much considering they at least left an option to turn it off..

Asphyxia [XT] – Crystal Desert & Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at XtremeTheory.com

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

Same here Asphyxia… Frankly I prefer seeing the actual server nanes and not the dots.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Like why would the enemies be green dots…..so confusing

Because they are from the Green server? And Blue dots – Blue server? And Red dots – Red server? Wow, so confusing, better have those old 3-4 words + guild tag nameplates so you can’t see kitten in a blobfight.

Ever heard the expression red is dead? Enemy nameplates traditionally is in red (in pretty much every game in existence), blue and green is usually party or ally colors, I can see why it would be confusing. There’s already color coded models, no need for names too.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

Did not make any difference in my game play so….

in WvW

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

I like the new tags .Not so much clutter on the screen.Find it much easier to pick out a target .

in WvW

Posted by: hypehype.9047

hypehype.9047

you can still use the old option yet people are complaining. anet cant win.

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

because of this…

This being a toggleable option, I’m fine with that. But I wish more beneficial WvW updates would be worked on instead.

…they are wasting everyone’s precious time including theirs

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

Yeah exactly, people should stop asking for improvements, just take what they give you, and if you don’t like then take a walk off the wvw plank and don’t return.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

in WvW

Norbe.7630

Look, WvW before rarely receives attention/improvements, these kind of changes are like blessings to WvW players.

Now, if Anet will provide changes that not all WvW players would use or do not benefit them, its a waste of time and effort.

If we just let them do the work without the suggestion of players, imagine the mods that design these changes doesn’t play WvW at all, will it be awesome?

i have witnessed a game died because the game didn’t listen to its community…..
i was one of its community who tried to save it but failed…….

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

What do you think the community wants?
I don’t think you, the community or even Anet knows. People wanted cannons, people wanted desert borderland and people hate cannons and people hate desert borderland.
People love 60v60v60 and people love 10v30 or 3v5 or 1v1. So what exactly do you think people want?

I can’t tell.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in WvW

Norbe.7630

What do you think the community wants?

Equality

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Its simple.
We want New maps.
I dont go to eotm cause thats not very rewarding to kill upscaled people.
I dont go to desert border cause de map is death 24/7.
EB got always a Q at primetime.

So we have basicly only 2 playable maps. EB and alpine.
Those maps are not the most colourfull maps. Sometimes I have the feeling that they were only allowed to use 16 colours on that map.

So people are almost playing 5 years on those boring 16 color maps.
What happens is, your brain will tell you, that it wants to see something else.

The gameplay/combat system is acceptable, but after 5 years the eyes Just wanna see something else. Its very cute those endless minor updates they do that almost no one cares about but its not enough.

We need or New WvW maps.
Or texture update for the current maps. So that the same maps can have a New texture update.

Owyeah, and we need cloakes/capes, a legendary back item for WvW (PvP has one, pve aswell, wvw next?)

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in WvW

Posted by: kroter.1326

kroter.1326

There’s already color coded models, no need for names too.

Indeed, there are already red and blue servers, and it’s been like that for what, 4 years? Maybe you should propose to anet to change every non-friendly side to red color.

in WvW

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

Its simple.
We want New maps.
I dont go to eotm cause thats not very rewarding to kill upscaled people.
I dont go to desert border cause de map is death 24/7.
EB got always a Q at primetime.

So we have basicly only 2 playable maps. EB and alpine.
Those maps are not the most colourfull maps. Sometimes I have the feeling that they were only allowed to use 16 colours on that map.

So people are almost playing 5 years on those boring 16 color maps.
What happens is, your brain will tell you, that it wants to see something else.

The gameplay/combat system is acceptable, but after 5 years the eyes Just wanna see something else. Its very cute those endless minor updates they do that almost no one cares about but its not enough.

We need or New WvW maps.
Or texture update for the current maps. So that the same maps can have a New texture update.

Owyeah, and we need cloakes/capes, a legendary back item for WvW (PvP has one, pve aswell, wvw next?)

Stop saying “we” when you just speak for yourself.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in WvW

Posted by: wwDefuser.2056

wwDefuser.2056

… dunno why people complaining about this change !?
its your choice to use it or not !
waste of time ? NO ! … portable cannons and repair hammer were waste of time !

This is one of the best updates so far (Desert maps were bad, auto-upgrade of objectives was ok, … scoring, … commander Options improvement, shield generators, Tactivators).

New maps wont improve the fun of the gamemode. Also more blue prints or tools (shield generator, repair hammer, portable cannons) wont improve it either. So lets be happy when they do something usefull like display options (commander tags, Name plats,…) and scoring issues.

Last but not least… have you ever played a 24/7 game without any Issues about people playing at night ? ! … its simply happens in every game. Only thing to do is to create similar server population.

(edited by wwDefuser.2056)

in WvW

Posted by: hypehype.9047

hypehype.9047

Yeah exactly, people should stop asking for improvements, just take what they give you, and if you don’t like then take a walk off the wvw plank and don’t return.

a change is irreversible, you can undo this change, stop trying to turn this into somthing it’s not.

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

a change is irreversible, you can undo this change, stop trying to turn this into somthing it’s not.

So again guys, he’s absolutely right, you shouldn’t ask to improve the improvement, just take what you get, stop making a big deal and if you don’t like it then too bad go qq in the qq forums.

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Not the first time Anet have only half delivered something!

Just be glad they didnt demand 300g for have the dots be coloured to the server colour!

But yeah, apart from getting into 3 way zerg fights, I’ll probably stick to the original long nameplates.

in WvW

Norbe.7630

dunno why people don’t understand why people complain about this change!?
i for example complained about this change not benefiting all WvW players.
i complained so that these kind of changes would never again happen on the future updates.

the autoloot is a good one, it benefits all plus you can turn it on or off

i will repeat the reason, i complain so that these kind of changes would never again happen on the future updates,

they should focus on the server balancing and blob lagging issues which plagued WvW for thousands of years since Mordremoth was born.
then after that they can go for the icing of the cake like new maps and stuffs

here is what he meant we

Attachments:

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

This is a very helpful change in large scale combat where servers like TC with long names appear to have 2x their actual number, which makes pugs log off or run away

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

LOL yup me too. I immediately turned that option off after my first encounter with the enemy.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

Don’t think I read anywhere where anyone asked to change the name to such a simple state as dots above the head. The majority were looking for abbreviated names for like the server name or player rank.

If anything they should have put the dots as red and the guild names below it as the server colors, and if someone is guildless then display their rank there instead as the default text in server colors.

But hey some people like it, glad for them, at least they made it optional.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Like the change, and play with it (because I was sick of those long tags).

Has the added benefit of making it a bit harder to spot enemies, which makes life a bit more exciting.

I do think that it would benefit from a few improvements.

• Would like to see the initials of the Server, so you also have something to click on, and not just the guild tag.
  • Would like to see the dot a bit larger, and somewhat more visible. As is it can be hard to even see the color at times.
  • Color blindness is an issue for some, Perhaps add the color in text ?
  • Alternatively making some slightly more visible icons/logos for either team or server (like the last one).

Any other suggestions for how to improve on this ?

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: thetoothpick.4028

thetoothpick.4028

The thing that makes me annoyed is that it was turned on by default.

You have problems with having to see long nameplates in a zerg? Fine, here’s an option to “fix” it. But don’t shove solutions to other people’s problems down everyone’s throats.

For example, this makes scouting reports by people with the option turned on pretty awful, since people will either call out the color of the team (which few people really map to names since they change weekly), or they’ll call out the guild name because that’s the only text they get (arguably less useful than color). Obviously you can find out what team they’re on and call that out fairly easily, but that’s not going to happen for less experienced players, and who have enough problems reporting enemy movement as it is.

I’d have no problem if this was something people had to opt-in to, but making it opt-out creates problems ArenaNet didn’t think of. And thinking that everyone would want to use something like this means they don’t understand how a lot of people play, especially in lower-populated servers/tiers.

Fair Winds
Ehmry Bay Stock Exchange [EBAY] (Ehmry Bay)
http://wuvoverlay.codeplex.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

It’s great that we’re allowed to turn it off, cause it just causes lag and makes it harder to call targets in comms when you have multiple parties (e.g. focus the Silver Veteren ranger!)

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

While I see the benefit, when zergs collide, but I have a lot more trouble identifying players from minions & pets now. The sizes of the dots don’t help too much. Since I roam most of the time, having full name plates (e.g. distinguishing a low rank daily PvE player from a 1k+ ranked enemy) is a good source of tactical information.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

in WvW

wwDefuser.2056

It should be improved. For example:

1. replace the Color with a [G] ; [B] or®
  2. Display the Rank … e.g. Gold-Veteran(enemys) and the player’s name of your allies
  3. and the Guild tag like it’s displayed yet.

—> better for Colorblind people and still short enough
—> more information to call targets

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

@wwDefuser.2056

Think that seeing the full rank will make it too long again. I don’t really care much about the ranks myself (because of so much random quality anyways). But a slight change to just show say Bronze/Silver/Gold etc, and skip all the extra ones.

example: “Red Bronze [SIN][Kain]”

But then, I think it almost gets too long again. I’d still probably just skip the rank entirely, unless they could manage to make a small in-obtrusive icon for it.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I also love this QoL improvement a lot.

If you don’t like it, that is fine as you can just turn off. But it certainly benefit a lot of us.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

@wwDefuser.2056

Think that seeing the full rank will make it too long again. I don’t really care much about the ranks myself (because of so much random quality anyways). But a slight change to just show say Bronze/Silver/Gold etc, and skip all the extra ones.

example: “Red Bronze [SIN][Kain]”

But then, I think it almost gets too long again. I’d still probably just skip the rank entirely, unless they could manage to make a small in-obtrusive icon for it.

Why even see rank? What possible use could that be? I mean sure people probably yell “that diamond invader is a noob, kill him” all the time but in terms of overall WvW its utterly pointless fluff. We dont need to know ranks in the tag.

How the tag should be:
Main (above player head)server [tag]
Secondary (targetted info)guild name WvW rank PvE title

And the server would show the true server even if you are secondary in a link.

Its really that simple.

in WvW

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

you don’t need rank info. what, you need to show off with your platinum nonsense? c’mon… grow up.

The current system with the dots is perfect. you don’t need anything apart from a quick head count and what faction / server the other side represents. the colours do exactly that.

It’s easy, it’s simple now, it’s good. Keep it this way, thanks.

in WvW

wwDefuser.2056

Sure the WvW-Rank is not a must to be displayed but to show the true server tag is also nonsense.
When there are 3 servers linkend and everyone has another Server-tag you always have to look up what team they belong to. ( sry for that english :P)

And the Fact about the colors is only the fail for colorblind people (red and green). I think there is only League of Legends that supports a colorblind-option yet.

in WvW

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

And the Fact about the colors is only the fail for colorblind people (red and green). I think there is only League of Legends that supports a colorblind-option yet.

my apologies, I somehow totally forgot about this…

you’re absolutely right and this needs to be adjusted for colour blind people as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

I wish there was some toggle option – I’d use simple nameplates in zerg fights, but as I’m mainly a roamer, I need normal names to see my enemy better and if somebody is hiding behind that pillar.

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

But this option is also a handicap!

Long nameplates give away player, and especially zerg locations.
You see their tags appear around a corner well before you see a player.

So how many players will actually use this, if it means having that disadvantage?

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

kittening dots make me mad i dont like it at all. (yes i did turn it off.)

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

I like it. It’s far less clutter and it’s easy to go back to the way it was if you don’t like it. Not seeing a person’s wvw rank is the only thing that’s a slight cost for me because rank does sometimes factor into my decisions.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

Shorter name plates should be mandatory. Then players can hide behind pillars and walls without being detected as easily.

Shorter name plate with profession icon and with rank color (silver, gold etc as colors) would be more useful. Many times rank does not tell anything but profession does.

Summary: Team colored dot + guild name + profession icon + rank colored something. Rank color to guild name brackets? (Guild name color unchanged.)

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

Shorter name plates should be mandatory. Then players can hide behind pillars and walls without being detected as easily.

Shorter name plate with profession icon and with rank color (silver, gold etc as colors) would be more useful. Many times rank does not tell anything but profession does.

Summary: Team colored dot + guild name + profession icon + rank colored something. Rank color to guild name brackets? (Guild name color unchanged.)

Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

my apologies, I somehow totally forgot about this…

you’re absolutely right and this needs to be adjusted for colour blind people as well.

Unfortunately, this is just the latest in a long list of things that make GW2 miserable for colorblind people. They really need to do a full pass on colors in all aspects of the game to make a colorblind mode option available.