Necro or Ranger?

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

Q:

I’ve never really played either of these classes all that much but both look rather fun. I was wondering though, what is more effective in WvW for both solo roaming and in helping the group?

On my Mesmer, I have fought several rangers and have never really found them to be a class to avoid while necro’s have really given me some trouble. Anyways, I’m really looking for opinions.

Thanks!

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

(edited by FinalPatriot.8034)

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

On my Mesmer, I have fought several rangers and have never really found them to be a class to avoid while necro’s have really given me some trouble. Anyways, I’m really looking for opinions.

I play my Ranger as support character with longbow, but I’ve seen and fought a very effective melee bunker ranger who was able to successfully fight 2-3 opponents at once and successfully retreat from the encounter when more eventually showed up. Not only did they manage their attacks well but they had excellent pet management, always swapping them out before they went down. Never played a Necro but they do seem fairly resilient in WvW, but about the only thing they do that I worry about is Fear.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

I play both professions ( necro rank 100+ and ranger 120+).

For solo roaming :

Ranger is the best option, but, as you already said, it is hard to find good rangers, usually I don’t even use half of my skills against them simply because most of them don’t know how to play the class, and who can blame them ? at first it was designed as a melee class lol.

But trust me, a good ranger is second only to a good thief in solo roaming ( I might argue that ).

Small team ( 1 group ) :

Ranger, simply because you can adapt to almost any situation/group.

I find necro to be best only in zergs fights, 1 good necro can wreck a front line of warriors/guardians.

that said, necro is way more easy to play than ranger.

A good option could be Elementalist, very hard to play but very usefull in any group fights.

Maybe someone else can share some other point of wiew

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: White Raven.4368

White Raven.4368

I am not an expert on builds and such,but my Ranger plays a more defensive role and can get overwhelmed with a hard charging enemy.

My Necro can suck up everything the enemy throws at it,and spread pain over many, many targets in large group play.

Desolation [LOST]Lost in Socks Guild.

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

I kill 80s roaming on my uplevled necro but rangers give me the most trouble as well when I do that. Bottom line, necro can do both fairly well (zerg, small team, solo) where as ranger is limited to most small team and solo

Isle Of Janthir

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

I am not an expert on builds and such,but my Ranger plays a more defensive role and can get overwhelmed with a hard charging enemy.

My Necro can suck up everything the enemy throws at it,and spread pain over many, many targets in large group play.

Just wondering, could you possibly link your Necro build for me please?

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

I like roaming with both classes.

Here’s a necro roaming video:

Here’s a ranger roaming video:

Both classes bring a lot to the table, just depends on your play style. Ranger can be up close and in your face while necro tries to stay back and dish out damage.

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: SweetCream.8051

SweetCream.8051

I like roaming with both classes.

Here’s a necro roaming video:

Link is broken, can you make available on mobile maybe?

Necro or Ranger?

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Fixed maybe.