Need Targeting Advice

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfaen.9461

Wolfaen.9461

Hey guys, I just have one quick question about targeting in WvW..

What do you guys do to target individuals while fighting in WvW? What is the most efficient method???

I have tried tab targetting, but I always get the annoying pets and it seems you can never get the actual target you are aiming for. Clicking is another option but it hinders your movement along with players being hard to click because of so much movement on their part. I need some help here. I am finding myself getting very frustrated when it takes me so long to target the player that I want. Any advice would be appreciated.

HALP! O.o

[Wolf] Wolfaen
Elementalist | Ranger | JQ

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: panda the chop chop.4712

panda the chop chop.4712

it all depends on how you want to play, for instance you can Aoe an area and just keep doing that, or you can choose one target and see him through to death(; it all depend on a teir 1 what ivedone was stay on a focused aoe area, on my ranger i used piercing arrows so regardless of who i hit its passes through and hit more one target on a lower teir their are still alot of great effect to aoeing no matter where you are but youll have the chance to have a more personal and skill applying feeling than just running back and forth stacking might, applying boons, stability, and aoeing as large groups or zergs you can get a real feel of 1-10 man small teams where your skill is actually what you would need to determine who to target and when ect. ect. hope this help a little with these two scenario to have an idea of what way to target

IGN: Itspanda

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Clicking is the only way to effectively target specific players, and yes it is tedious but that’s the way the game was designed. Tab targeting is useless, you will end up targeting vines, doors, walls, rabbits, and plenty of other random objects before you even get a player let alone the specific player you wanted to target. You can always just go the AoE route also which doesn’t involve targeting, but against small groups of players who are not completely stupid, AoE will not be very effective as they can simply choose to not stand in it.

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfaen.9461

Wolfaen.9461

it all depends on how you want to play, for instance you can Aoe an area and just keep doing that, or you can choose one target and see him through to death(; it all depend on a teir 1 what ivedone was stay on a focused aoe area, on my ranger i used piercing arrows so regardless of who i hit its passes through and hit more one target on a lower teir their are still alot of great effect to aoeing no matter where you are but youll have the chance to have a more personal and skill applying feeling than just running back and forth stacking might, applying boons, stability, and aoeing as large groups or zergs you can get a real feel of 1-10 man small teams where your skill is actually what you would need to determine who to target and when ect. ect. hope this help a little with these two scenario to have an idea of what way to target

Thanks for your response, but I am not talking about who or when to target someone or how to AoE for that matter. I am talking about the actual mechanic of targeting. Is there a better way to target an individual in PvP(WvW) than left clicking them or tab targeting??

[Wolf] Wolfaen
Elementalist | Ranger | JQ

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

If you are in a party and someone has called out a target (control-T), you can press T key.

You can also let auto-targetting take its course, but it suffers from the same issue as TAB targetting: it gives you all the wrong targets.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: jluiz.8630

jluiz.8630

Based on my experience when I still had the sucky old computer, it was laggy that whenever there’s a zerg ahead it will lag due to the skill spamming and the effects so it was hard to me to target people, I kept dying and it sucked until I finally build my own computer(actually asked my friend to help me out and he bought the good parts and I payed him) anyways when it was laggy all I could do was AOE AOE AOE all the time and it wasn’t bad at all because I’m still getting a lot of bags but sucky part is when I die from the lag and I can’t even pick up my bags lmao. After my built computer was done I get to tank but still spamming aoe attacks because it is where I got used to it but how I target people is press [Tab] really easy to reach, just use your ring finger while moving forward with your middle finger or you click using your mouse. the advantage of using your mouse is you can choose which target u want to focus on especially those who are on low HP but with tab you have to keep tabbing until you can focus your target. Clicking tab switch to the one who is closer to you and so on. but I use tab to find the Commander and set a focus on him, so I somewhat turned into a commander killer.

Since you said “Thanks for your response, but I am not talking about who or when to target someone or how to AoE for that matter. I am talking about the actual mechanic of targeting. Is there a better way to target an individual in PvP(WvW) than left clicking them or tab targeting??” No there is no other way unless if you just keep attacking the one in front of you or whoever is in front of you. AND yes like what he said “If you are in a party and someone has called out a target (control-T), you can press T key. You can also let auto-targetting take its course, but it suffers from the same issue as TAB targetting: it gives you all the wrong targets.”

Other than that there is no other way. Just have fun killing whoever is in front of you.

Commander Darkesthawk Knightz of Jade Quarry

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

You could also use the “Target Closest” function. I have that bound to C. I use that mostly when I’m just looking for the auto attack to do something productive between cluster bombs during large scale fights. If you’re constantly targeting closest and hitting 1 between aoe’s, more often than not you’ll be hitting someone. Bonus points if your 1 skill bounces or pierces.

If the fight is small enough scale where both sides aren’t just mindlessly flinging dps at each other, then yeah, old fashioned targeting is the best way to go.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Nime.2089

Nime.2089

For targeting I mostly use Tab. The information provided on the enemy (Health, Class, Boons etc.) is a good tool to actually look for a suitable prey. For instance if I happen to Tab on a Guardian with full health and Aegis up I tend to go to the next one etc. Distance is mostly not a problem and therfore not included in the main criterias of selecting a target.
During this process I can use AOE the whole time. Once a target is selected I go in, try to kill my target and go back AOE and start over again.

But other than Klick or Closest Target/Tab there is no other viable option.

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

There is plugin somewhere out there(cant remember the name) that puts an FPS style crosshair to gw2. This worked with beta client. Not sure about now.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

On the note of targeting, it’d also be swell if we’d have a key to drop target, and no, the ESC key doesn’t count, unless I can remove the “bring up the options menu” function from it and I don’t have to sometimes press it twice to work.

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

I use all the options for targeting pretty frequently. Target Closest, Next Target, Last Target, Call Target, and Party Target are all key bound like a crosshair in the center of my G13. I also use mouse targeting by toggling auto-run, releasing by Mouse 2 (right button), and selecting them. Picking them out from a crowd is easier said than done, but it’s the only option on occasion.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

Need Targeting Advice

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Sadly targetting is a holdover from MMOs of yore. I hope the next set of MMOs leaves this relic behind.

Mouse is the most precise, tab is probably the fastest and call targeting (when available is the best). Combat mod is a nice middle ground but it could get a player banned. I doubt Anet would on using Combat Mod alone but still worth considering.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”