Need more Info on Full Server Status

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

With the new server status’ no longer being based on population but rather on wvw activity, some questions have come up that many of us would like clarification on.

-How often is the server status determined?

-How is a full server now supposed to recruit people for other time zones, hypothetically can a server that has a strong NA presence be counted as full and prevent it from recruiting OCX/SEA/EU coverage? In the past there were at least times when servers would open up but now how would this be possible?

Full servers are essentially locked now and the only way to open up is to have an exodus or a blackout till the server opens. I do not think that is fair or progressive.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Also -
How do we know how full a full status full is? They didn’t boot anyone, so some full servers might be slightly above the threshold and some might be so full it won’t open in forever and a year.
Does wvw daily and log out or even worse crafting/banking count included in wvw activity/pop count? (BankIng/crafting for toons parked at a JP)

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

X T D.6458

Yea Im curious as well in regards to what exactly is used to determine wvw activity, like you say someone just going in for the wvw dailies for example, or using the vendors etc etc. I can understand why they would not want to divulge all the info on this specific part but I do think the system needs tweaking.

in WvW

Liston.9708

<- admits to use wvw for crafting/banking on my toons parked at JPs… I don’t use those if there are queues / NA prime, and I wvw enough that I would count anyway

in WvW

Posted by: Kungsmurfen.2861

Kungsmurfen.2861

Today Dzago went from Medium to High so I guess it updates quite often.

Underworld – [ZERK]

in WvW

X T D.6458

That is interesting, but I wonder how long it took for it to update, maybe a new calculation was started last week and just updated now for example. But I can see at least it doesnt take like a month or w/e to update because of your example.

in WvW

X T D.6458

<- admits to use wvw for crafting/banking on my toons parked at JPs… I don’t use those if there are queues / NA prime, and I wvw enough that I would count anyway

Heh everyone does that, its convenient.

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

That is interesting, but I wonder how long it took for it to update, maybe a new calculation was started last week and just updated now for example. But I can see at least it doesnt take like a month or w/e to update because of your example.

I think someone saw Fort aspenwood went very high for quite a while and back to full within a day’s time.

So I do believe it gets updated quite often.

in WvW

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

With the new server status’ no longer being based on population but rather on wvw activity, some questions have come up that many of us would like clarification on.

-How is a full server now supposed to recruit people for other time zones, hypothetically can a server that has a strong NA presence be counted as full and prevent it from recruiting OCX/SEA/EU coverage? In the past there were at least times when servers would open up but now how would this be possible?

Full servers are essentially locked now and the only way to open up is to have an exodus or a blackout till the server opens. I do not think that is fair or progressive.

I’m pretty sure that by wvw activity they simple mean the glicko rating.
http://mos.millenium.org/matchups

Only servers that dont match it are vizunah and millers but they are both very close in glicko to a server in the other bracket so im assuming its simply glicko + very small random variance much like how the matchup system works.

That info gives you enough ways to abuse it and highlight how it ceases the possibility of the ppt game ever becoming competitive.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

(edited by Zetsumei.4975)

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I think someone saw Fort aspenwood went very high for quite a while and back to full within a day’s time.

When was this? Within the last few days?

But yes as the OP said they are questions that really need answering and surely can be without revealing confidential info like the actual caps.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

It is wise not to give details because players would attempt to game the system using those details then, like when players figured out that they could transfer to a full server on patch days when Anet logs everyone out or the old blackouts that T1 servers used to organize.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Theoretically speaking, it is extremely difficult for any system to determine the timezone related issues unless the server has a data mining similar feature which used historical records to determine a user playing habit and timing. Then, based on that, determine if the user is eligible to make a transfer to the server. However, that will also mean that the population status will be made personalised and that will require quite a bit of computing power.

So, what I assume is that they determine the server overall strength by using certain kind of point system based on the historical records of the server populations. Then lock a server up. That is to say, if the server is extremely stacked in NA timing and averagely stacked for off hours, it is likely the server will be full. Likewise, a server that is well distributed 24 hours will also be full.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: MesmerizedNYC.2479

MesmerizedNYC.2479

Ugh this is terrible. I went to Maguuma to check out the Tier 3 action from Yak’s Bend 8 weeks ago. After 2 weeks, I had to leave the game for six weeks while traveling on biz and on my return, I find I can’t get back to YB! I guess I have to start spamming the world selection at different times to try to squeeze back in!

Commander Ellie
Formerly YB – Now Stranded on Maguuma

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Ugh this is terrible. I went to Maguuma to check out the Tier 3 action from Yak’s Bend 8 weeks ago. After 2 weeks, I had to leave the game for six weeks while traveling on biz and on my return, I find I can’t get back to YB! I guess I have to start spamming the world selection at different times to try to squeeze back in!

It doesn’t work like that any more. Its fully locked until guilds and players on YB move to other servers.

BTW your sig says you’re on Blackgate, or rather said.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

It doesn’t work like that any more.

The system is so full of fail I can’t even begin to say how utterly disgusted I am at it. How there can be no Q’s and most maps being a ghost town for an entire week and still be locked at full??? That say’s to me that this “system” is full of bunk. The dev’s say they don’t want us to play OT or take time off work during seasons, well…. that’s bunk! Even at playing 10 hours a day there’s no way to keep the maps populated.

I’m honestly believe that someone manually set the locked worlds to Perma Locked. That even if the system tried to open up a world, it cannot as it’s been overridden by this lockout.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Chi.2943

Chi.2943

I guess I have to start spamming the world selection at different times to try to squeeze back in!

They permalocked the servers. I came back from vacation only to find out that my guild moved from Blackgate to Yak’s bend. Just for the record, I’ve been on blackgate since release day and have never transferred before. The only reason why I play this game is to wvw with my guildmates so I’ve been trying to transfer for 4 days now only to find out that they permalocked all the servers.

I also have friends who are considering to pick up gw2, but there is no point because they have no chance at rolling on yak’s bend or blackgate so there is no way we will be able to wvw together. Until they fix this, I won’t be buying the expansion and there’s no point recommending this game to any of my friends because they have no chance at rolling on my server.

Nubbie [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I’m pretty sure that by wvw activity they simple mean the glicko rating.
http://mos.millenium.org/matchups

Only servers that dont match it are vizunah and millers but they are both very close in glicko to a server in the other bracket so im assuming its simply glicko + very small random variance much like how the matchup system works.

That info gives you enough ways to abuse it and highlight how it ceases the possibility of the ppt game ever becoming competitive.

A.Net has their own rating system, glicko is outside of the API, so I don’t think they use that.

in WvW

Chi.2943

Servers are perma locked. We are sad pandas.

Nubbie [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

An easy solution for those guilds split by the changes (which begs the question why they moved in the first place) is to move to a tier 4-5 server that isn’t locked. If enough of the guilds that are up in the top three tiers did this, likely the tiers would shake up.

There are ALWAYS choices.

in WvW

Posted by: Bdews.7236

Bdews.7236

Raise server cap.

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

I guess I have to start spamming the world selection at different times to try to squeeze back in!

They permalocked the servers. I came back from vacation only to find out that my guild moved from Blackgate to Yak’s bend. Just for the record, I’ve been on blackgate since release day and have never transferred before. The only reason why I play this game is to wvw with my guildmates so I’ve been trying to transfer for 4 days now only to find out that they permalocked all the servers.

I also have friends who are considering to pick up gw2, but there is no point because they have no chance at rolling on yak’s bend or blackgate so there is no way we will be able to wvw together. Until they fix this, I won’t be buying the expansion and there’s no point recommending this game to any of my friends because they have no chance at rolling on my server.

Well, unfortunately for you, I believe this is exactly what the new server population metrics is supposed to do… And if John Corpening is to be believed, as soon as HoT drops, they are going to start doing other things to address time zone imbalances and other aspects of WvW that are broken. The whole server population thing was terribly broken before, it lead to wayyyy over stacked servers, and wayyy under populated ones. The new system may still imperfect, but it is far far better than the previous one. And even before, it could take weeks or longer to get guildies transferred to servers with Full status. At least now everyone understands that there is a real risk to jumping servers and some significant advantages to moving to lower population servers, in terms of moving a large guild if it is spread out over multiple servers…

in WvW

X T D.6458

An easy solution for those guilds split by the changes (which begs the question why they moved in the first place) is to move to a tier 4-5 server that isn’t locked. If enough of the guilds that are up in the top three tiers did this, likely the tiers would shake up.

There are ALWAYS choices.

There is a reason some people prefer the upper tiers over lower ones. Because they might offer more for them, more active, more timezone coverage, more fights, etc etc. I have played through every tier and against every server and in all honesty I personally prefer t1 because its most active. T4/5 might be fine for some, not knocking those servers whatsoever, but its not for everyone.

in WvW

Posted by: Urban.2814

Urban.2814

Not trying to derail the thread much, but I just got GW2 and I’m torn between rolling on a tier 2 or tier 3 server. I have trouble finding info on if the servers are west/east coast ( just for general population reasons ). I mainly don’t want to play somewhere that is lacking WvW because of low population/ times i play I was thinking Maguuma, any suggestions? btw im east coast!

in WvW

Chi.2943

Not trying to derail the thread much, but I just got GW2 and I’m torn between rolling on a tier 2 or tier 3 server. I have trouble finding info on if the servers are west/east coast ( just for general population reasons ). I mainly don’t want to play somewhere that is lacking WvW because of low population/ times i play I was thinking Maguuma, any suggestions? btw im east coast!

Well good news! You don’t have to make a choice because T1 and T2 are locked by anet right now. T3 it is for you.

Nubbie [OnS]

in WvW

Urban.2814

Heh yeah I guess it’s my only choice!! Maguuma it is!

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Well good news! You don’t have to make a choice because T1 and T2 are locked by anet right now. T3 it is for you.

SOS is full now?

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Urban.2814

SOS is full now?

Actually I believe SoS is open, just kinda worried the other t2 and above servers would steamroll them so I was ddeciding on t3. However I’ll look into SoS a little more

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Just have a look at coverage wars for your timezone and see which server suits you best.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Urban.2814

Thanks for this!

in WvW

Posted by: MesmerizedNYC.2479

MesmerizedNYC.2479

Well my spam idea has not worked. I’ve yet to get back to YB after a week. But from what I’m getting PM’d, reading in the forums and MOS, the T2 action has become lopsided with the exodus from BG to YB. That stinks since the best fights IMHO were in T2 before all of this happened. I merely popped down to Maguuma and T3 to figure out how it managed to rise from the ashes and get a little change from the same three server fight for umpteenth week.

T3’s been ok at best. Definitely not as much action as there was in T2 during prime EST before this whole event happened.

I’ll stay in T3 for the present as I’ve no desire to go back to T2 with the lopsided match-up.

Commander Ellie
Formerly YB – Now Stranded on Maguuma

in WvW

X T D.6458

Well my spam idea has not worked. I’ve yet to get back to YB after a week. But from what I’m getting PM’d, reading in the forums and MOS, the T2 action has become lopsided with the exodus from BG to YB. That stinks since the best fights IMHO were in T2 before all of this happened. I merely popped down to Maguuma and T3 to figure out how it managed to rise from the ashes and get a little change from the same three server fight for umpteenth week.

T3’s been ok at best. Definitely not as much action as there was in T2 during prime EST before this whole event happened.

I’ll stay in T3 for the present as I’ve no desire to go back to T2 with the lopsided match-up.

Well from what I understand some in t2 in FA/SoS are more then happy to see YB leave the tier and are sitting out, and some of the more gvg oriented players are looking to t3 because of the current t2 situation.

in WvW

Liston.9708

Well from what I understand some in t2 in FA/SoS are more then happy to see YB leave the tier and are sitting out, and some of the more gvg oriented players are looking to t3 because of the current t2 situation.

Gvg left for t3. I don’t know if that wasn’t going to happen anyway at some point…. Under the old system fa/SOS were full and YB had some queues…. Of course know way of knowing if t1 folks had not moved if YB would have gone full or not…..

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Of course know way of knowing if t1 folks had not moved if YB would have gone full or not…..

As someone with accounts on both YB and FA, I’m pretty sure YB would have been marked full if that change occurred before the T1 guilds moved. YB’s NA queues have been extremely similar to FA’s NA queues for weeks preceding the change, sometimes even larger.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Liston.9708

Of course know way of knowing if t1 folks had not moved if YB would have gone full or not…..

As someone with accounts on both YB and FA, I’m pretty sure YB would have been marked full if that change occurred before the T1 guilds moved. YB’s NA queues have been extremely similar to FA’s NA queues for weeks preceding the change, sometimes even larger.

Yea I had alt on fa and thought pretty much the same as you. Funny how 95% don’t have the fa hate or YB hate and just treat it as a game, but always a few in map chat on both servers…..

The queues and potential status change even without t1 influx may have moved the gvg guilds either way…. No way of knowing any of this for sure, but doesn’t really matter anyway…

The timing of the influx and anets change to status was too funny though. Such troll…..

in WvW

Chaba.5410

The timing of the influx and anets change to status was too funny though. Such troll…..

Anet always trolls that way. XD

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: nickaustin.7304

nickaustin.7304

similer probloem I made my friend buy game and now we realized my server is full and he cant join me on wvw…what to do?