Need reward for playing support

in WvW

Posted by: Alex Behemoth.4952

Alex Behemoth.4952

This game does not incentivize helping other people. There needs to be a system in WvW where you can get XP and loot by giving boons to other players or healing them while they are in combat.

in WvW

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

1 Copper for every second of boons I give and every condition removed.

in WvW

Posted by: amaranthined.5167

amaranthined.5167

I don’t really think a reward for giving boons and heals is necessary in WvW. If you’re running a build that focuses on support, the incentive to do your job is so the group you’re running with doesn’t wipe. A support build probably isn’t going to last long/do much damage against an enemy zerg on its own, so you help others so that they can fight the zerg and keep you from dying.

The game as a whole actually does encourage helping other players – shared exp + loot even if you’re not partying together, exp for reviving, etc. I don’t know if you just gave some bad examples for what you meant, but for the most part players do get rewarded for helping others.

Henge of Denravi [VLK]
Zvezdana & Dana Uses Splash; Elementalist // Evegeniya; Engineer // Melinoe; Necromancer

in WvW

Alex Behemoth.4952

I don’t really think a reward for giving boons and heals is necessary in WvW. If you’re running a build that focuses on support, the incentive to do your job is so the group you’re running with doesn’t wipe. A support build probably isn’t going to last long/do much damage against an enemy zerg on its own, so you help others so that they can fight the zerg and keep you from dying.

The game as a whole actually does encourage helping other players – shared exp + loot even if you’re not partying together, exp for reviving, etc. I don’t know if you just gave some bad examples for what you meant, but for the most part players do get rewarded for helping others.

The problem with your argument is that you expect people to help just for the heck of it without getting any rewards. It just doesn’t work since this game revolves around rewards such as currency, loot, exp. So the best way to get those is by tagging enemies including in WvW.

That is why you don’t see healing or support builds because this game does not reward them. And I really don’t see why it would be a bad idea to reward players for helping others.

in WvW

Posted by: amaranthined.5167

amaranthined.5167

I run a control/support staff ele as my main. I get plenty of bags as my reward. I would not get nearly as many bags if I was a roamer, and I have a lot of fun playing the way I do. Running a support build doesn’t mean completely losing your ability to tag enemies – I play with the mentality of helping the group is helping myself. I’ve got decent survivability and dodging skills, but the enemy zerg isn’t going to sit around and wait for me to cast Meteor Shower on them.

In any case, I don’t really see how giving exp/gold for healing/giving boons would work within the existing system, because so many skills/traits do this as side effects or with just one click- they take hardly any effort. I think the person who said the copper reward thing was joking but like. That’s literally about the amount of reward deserved. Meanwhile, you should totally get something extra for reviving someone in the middle of a combat zone versus reviving them after the fighting’s done because that takes a lot more effort?

Idk, I wouldn’t be AGAINST getting more rewards because hey, free stuff, but I personally don’t see that it’s hugely necessary either.

Henge of Denravi [VLK]
Zvezdana & Dana Uses Splash; Elementalist // Evegeniya; Engineer // Melinoe; Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Stillmoon.6894

Stillmoon.6894

well i don’t think you should be rewarded if you play support build. that is your own choice and everybody can support themselves. i know some of compelled to play the support type because somehow it will make the play experience better for others but i don’t think you should reward them more because it will send the wrong signal. player tend to abuse things like this.

what i think should be rewarded more is doing the “support stuff” for the server (guard camp, walk yak, repair wall, defend tower and sentries, that kind of boring stuff) these kind of support doesn’t get enough reward so people just going to run around in zergs and neglects this kind of thing. which is really annoying because i tend to do the things like this and get ganked or mowed down by hordes because everybody is busy pressing 1 and f at the tower 1000 km away and we ended up losing everything. don’t get me wrong here everything i do, i do it for myself (i hate stupid zergs) and well being of the server but some people wound do anything unless you give them some incentives and all incentives is on banging empty tower doors so there you have it.

“Dream and hope sundered my world, it will no longer wreak such sorrow”

in WvW

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

I don’t really think a reward for giving boons and heals is necessary in WvW. If you’re running a build that focuses on support, the incentive to do your job is so the group you’re running with doesn’t wipe.

Thats a terrible logic. Heck, by that logic no one should ever get rewards:

“Damage dealers shouldnt receive rewards because by killing stuff they prevent them from reaching allies and thus killing them, allowing for everyone to win”.

Sure, in that case it is different because damage is the prerequisite for getting loots, but if you decide to roll a boon/healing/shout guardian then you might as well give up on ever being able to buy anything because you wont be getting jack squat for rewards other than “satisfaction” from winning, which is completely mutually exclusive from getting in-game rewards.

@OP: I agree with you, I have always played healers in most games, I run a zerker guardian but I wish to run a healing/boon one, problem is: I tried it and got no loots, no exp, barely made enough damage to tag champions in keep, etc. As unrewarding as resupplying and defending; incredibly strong and useful, completely and uncalled for unrewarding to the point that I have to join the zerg out of boredom/lack of gold.

Though I can see how this can be abused by some people who would just sit on the back spamming some AoE boons on the front lines just to collect bags, out of harms way and possibly using boons when not needing them, making them go to waste instead of when it matters just for the sake of ‘tagging’. I highly doubt anything will be done about given Anet history of simply not caring for support archetypes too much, specially the well-hated healers.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

This game does not incentivize helping other people. There needs to be a system in WvW where you can get XP and loot by giving boons to other players or healing them while they are in combat.

If you cannot tag what your group is killing while playing support then the issue is you and not the game. I play full support for my group, its never an issue.

in WvW

Alex Behemoth.4952

If you cannot tag what your group is killing while playing support then the issue is you and not the game. I play full support for my group, its never an issue.

Look lets not get into the whole you suck argument or get better argument. I don’t think you can argue that the game does not give any incentive to play support. When you tag an enemy you are going outside the support role. Therefore my point still stands.

For example I wanted to play a healing warrior where I would focus on getting boons and regen through banners and converting conditions to boons. But as I did this I got very little exp or loot. I eventually figured that the game does not reward healing therefore I stopped doing this.

Its not even about the money since I have lots. But since the game is all about rewards I really don’t want to do stuff if I’m not being rewarded.

Seriously they need to implement a system where if you help a person with a boon or health. And he kills an enemy then you should have a small chance of getting some of the loot he would have gotten.

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Every other MMO gives rewards/exp/etc for support. I don’t get why this one doesn’t. You SHOULD get loot if all you do is hang back and heal because you’re keeping your team alive.

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Anet has already stated that they want to introduce rewards for support roles, not just healing/boons but also for scouts and patrols.

They just need some time to figure out how to do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

Keeping my team alive and boosting their effectiveness is reward enough for me.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

Look lets not get into the whole you suck argument or get better argument. I don’t think you can argue that the game does not give any incentive to play support. When you tag an enemy you are going outside the support role. Therefore my point still stands.

Your point is laying flat on its back, imo. My argument is that the game doesn’t need to give incentive to play support.

Tagging takes very little effort (one hit) and with the odd exception of a very hectic fight there is always a bit of time for tagging. Tagging is also needed for stacks, more damage helps group, applying some conditions helps group, crits can give vigor or other benefits depending on spec, etc.

I just haven’t seen the tagging requirement as being a problem.

in WvW

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

Your point is laying flat on its back, imo. My argument is that the game doesn’t need to give incentive to play support.

Tagging takes very little effort (one hit) and with the odd exception of a very hectic fight there is always a bit of time for tagging. Tagging is also needed for stacks, more damage helps group, applying some conditions helps group, crits can give vigor or other benefits depending on spec, etc.

I just haven’t seen the tagging requirement as being a problem.

This.. And why would tagging be “going outside the support role”. You don’t think CC is support? Sometimes a well timed CC is way more help then a 2k heal..

Also anet has always said there will never be dedicated healer roles.. That’s why everyone has their own #6 heal and various other ways to heal up.. So if that’s what you’re trying to do it won’t work how you want.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in WvW

Posted by: azurerogue.9240

azurerogue.9240

Every other MMO gives rewards/exp/etc for support. I don’t get why this one doesn’t. You SHOULD get loot if all you do is hang back and heal because you’re keeping your team alive.

Except for the fact that they expect players NOT to hang back and just heal… they put it in their info about the design of the game. Damage, Support, Control – and you’re not expected even then to “just” pick 1 – you’re intended to focus on 1 without totally losing out on everything.

Other MMOs reward support because to be at all decent at it you need to commit to it pretty heavily. That’s not true in GW2. Even if you wanted to do that, how hard is it to press 1 every couple of seconds to tag enemies?

in WvW

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

No not every other mmo rewards support classes. Several don’t. The problem with rewarding support classes for say healing or applying boons is that encourages you to do only that. How lame is a zerg fight with lots of healing and support? Pretty lame and boring if you ask me. Very few or no people die. Your attacks are either blocked, healed up, miss, or retaliated. I don’t see how anyone would find that fun.

That being said though. If you really want to reward support classes, you need to start with very low rewards. As support almost all your actions can be performed without an enemy target at a safe distance and you can spam many of them. There is next to no risk in many situations. Unless you are in the thick of it with the melees. Either way, you need to be very careful with this. Rewarding someone for spamming supports skills and heals without risk isn’t the right way to do it.

They need to think it through. Being lazy and making a blanket support reward system would be a bad idea. There needs to be different reward for it under different circumstances.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

Has auto heal been removed yet? If so, then I’m sorry I can’t support this. Not working within my get rich quick scheme.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I have believed for a long time that you should get credit for the kills of the teammates you helped (via heals, buffs, cleanses, revives, etc)

Now is that possible in the current system? Is that an easy thing to do? I have no idea. But I agree that some support builds really don’t get enough rewards for the important jobs they do.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in WvW

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

very easy fix really, when “person A” kills a keep lord/guard, player, siege engine etc the system should check who has healed/buffed him recently (in this case Person B who is playing a water staff ele and doing nothing but throwing down healing areas and buffs) and that person should also get the same reward as the rest of the group who got xp from killing.

this would be pretty unexploitable (you’d need to be where the action is since only recently healed/buffed allies will count as your tag) and it would allow the players who enjoy healing to focus on healing rather than zerging up the ramp passed half a dozen injured allies in order to tag the lord.

in WvW

Posted by: azurerogue.9240

azurerogue.9240

So then do people who do heal/buff AND tag the lord get double rewards? If I’m doing twice as much actual work in my play style compared to you I deserve twice the rewards.

/sarcasm

I really don’t think you need to reward healing/buffing. It would be really hard to make this fair… You run behind a group tossing buffs and if things get tough you WP – if they cap the objective anyways and it’s relatively soon do you still get credit? What’s the timetable for “recently”?

It’s definitely not hard to heal AND tag the lord and if you don’t “feel” like doing it then I don’t see why you need to get the same rewards.

in WvW

Alex Behemoth.4952

So then do people who do heal/buff AND tag the lord get double rewards? If I’m doing twice as much actual work in my play style compared to you I deserve twice the rewards.

/sarcasm

It’s definitely not hard to heal AND tag the lord and if you don’t “feel” like doing it then I don’t see why you need to get the same rewards.

Not sure how the current system works but if its based on damage it would not be a problem. If your build is based on support then you won’t do enough damage anyways for tagging and most of your XP would be from support.

It can be hard when to tag enemies when your build is pure support. If they did not want people healing or playing support then why put builds and skills for it in the game.

Giving exp and loot to support would also allow players who aren’t high enough level or good at fighting a way to contribute to in WvW and get rewarded for it.

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I agree with the sentiment of more loot for all. That said, tagging restrictions need to be lightened, and tagging prerequisites broadened. Currently it’s X amount of damage to tag. But this favors certain classes over others (AoE necro/ele, nade spam engie, melee 1 spam warrior/staff guard vs Mesmer just about anything the obvious example). So increase it to non-damaging CC effects (cripple, blind, chill, invuln), and to throw the OP a kittenetal share.