Need some help to nail down a wvw play style

in WvW

Posted by: Sansar.1302

Sansar.1302

Hi, got this game because spvp but after many 100 hours or so i am geting burnt out.
Have goten myself a 80 ranger with full exotic of diffrent types.
I play mainly a solo/smal grp style flipping camps and sentrys, and getting into a tower trying to defend it until our zerg gets there.
Been a bit with the zerg too but it is not any fun 4 me.
Having a hard time soloing, inn a 1v1 i can take on almost any one cept tanky d/d eles. (cant kill them but they dont kill me either)
But eaven thives seams to hunt in pairs or more now,
usualy i can down a player in a 1v2 too but almost never stomp.
Any advice?
I am on Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Space.8053

Space.8053

going solo on ranger is tough in these wxp train times in wvw. you’re only going to achieve so much solo before you come across a fight you cannot win, it’s just the nature of wvw. groups of 2,3,4 even 5 thieves spawn camping are quite a common sight because they can safely go about their business and stay stealthed for as long as they like.

just accept that some 1v2 fights are going to be unwinnable because they will just revive each other once downed, and enjoy the challenge if you do decide to take them on.

Fat Rob
[TCHU]
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Bluesavanah.8562

Bluesavanah.8562

Faced a similar dilema with my ranger that i used to love roaming on. So I switched to mesmer for roaming. Running around capping camps, sentrys etc np. good fun in small scale engagements. Running full beserkers for roaming and it takes stuff down fast, then you can switchout to a glamour build if you wish to zerg.

Another suggestion would be a D/D ele the high mobility and little chance of dying even 1 v 3 makes it one of the better classes for capping camps etc.

Commander, Malicious Mischief [MM] ,Gandara
[MM] recruiting currently

in WvW

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

You could start small guild roaming groups, these are always fun! taking the enemies camps requires enemy manpower to take back – thats 3+ people that aren’t hitting your allies.

Voice communication can make a huge difference in organizing these, winning battles against more than your numbers and makes the game a whole lot more fun
Also rangers with healing spring are OP for group play.

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

in WvW

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

I have a “pick your battles” attitude these days and I’m almost always on a mission to accomplish something such as get supply to build siege in a keep, defend a camp, check on a tower, etc., so I don’t feel bad about avoiding/fleeing fights I don’t think I can win., or just trolling a camp until more help arrives to prevent a flip. I also don’t feel too bad about getting killed myself while trying to kill an enemy yak, and long as the yak is slain. Sometimes I’ll even let myself get annihilated if I think the most important thing to do is provide quick intel in voice comm and chat, rather than fight a losing battle. So I guess my advice is to always keep the bigger picture in mind of helping your server.

in WvW

Sansar.1302

Hmm migth have to get more involved in my server it seams.
Always been a soloer first and a team player second, maby it is time to shift focus.
Going to try playing a little diffrent and see if that helps.

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

Try to organize a group to fight like this. People tell you zerging is fun and for a bit it can be. Nothing will compare once you experience this style. Good luck.

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Hi, got this game because spvp but after many 100 hours or so i am geting burnt out.
Have goten myself a 80 ranger with full exotic of diffrent types.
I play mainly a solo/smal grp style flipping camps and sentrys, and getting into a tower trying to defend it until our zerg gets there.
Been a bit with the zerg too but it is not any fun 4 me.
Having a hard time soloing, inn a 1v1 i can take on almost any one cept tanky d/d eles. (cant kill them but they dont kill me either)
But eaven thives seams to hunt in pairs or more now,
usualy i can down a player in a 1v2 too but almost never stomp.
Any advice?
I am on Piken Square

I’m not quite sure what you are asking here. You say you like small group play (so do I) and you sound like you do pretty well at it if you think you are competitive in most 1v1 situations. As a thief I sometimes run solo to kill yaks or run supply, and I can usually escape if I run into a larger group. Other than that, most small groups are going to actually be groups … maybe groups of three to five players, typically with some complementary classes and abilities. A ranger by itself can be a problem out in the open, but a ranger in a group has it’s place. What is it you want to do differently? I bet you could always get a couple of players to join you flipping camps and such, or chasing down small enemy groups trying to do the same.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Sansar.1302

What i mostly do is take a camp solo or with a friend, then hang around flipp the closest sentrys and roam in the outskirts trying to find some other solo/duo and have a fun figth.
It is working ok in the early inn the morning when you can avoid the bigger grps.
After ppl starting to finish scool and work i have a hard time finding other solo/duo players and have time to finish figth before our or their zerg come.
ofc can still flipp camps and sentrys and get wxp but too me that is pure pve.

Going to try a full 5 man team and see how that works out.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

What i mostly do is take a camp solo or with a friend, then hang around flipp the closest sentrys and roam in the outskirts trying to find some other solo/duo and have a fun figth.
It is working ok in the early inn the morning when you can avoid the bigger grps.
After ppl starting to finish scool and work i have a hard time finding other solo/duo players and have time to finish figth before our or their zerg come.
ofc can still flipp camps and sentrys and get wxp but too me that is pure pve.

Going to try a full 5 man team and see how that works out.

Well that’s true. Once the zergs are in full play more players tend to join them instead of trying to avoid them.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]