Nerfing Catapults is the WRONG direction

in WvW

Posted by: Ash.9760

Ash.9760

This game already favors Offense too much. It takes half a day to upgrade structures all the way and tons of manhours of WORK (not play)…just to lose it all in literally a few minutes to a zerg.

Now you can’t even use catapults to defend against rams at the gate? WRONG DIRECTION arenanet.

If anything you should triple the hitpoints of structures and a whole list of other defensive advantages like safe places for cannons and mortars…

in WvW

Posted by: playandchill.3908

playandchill.3908

Oil canon and kitten

[LANI] Multi glad pewpew

QUIT- RETIRED

in WvW

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

Bug fixes are not nerfs,
They are fixes.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Because no one takes down the oil and cannon before placing rams, right?

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: cimon.5798

cimon.5798

catas aoe splash was never intended to go through a door sorry but thats just silly to have that remain plus think of it this way now you got 50 more supply u can use on something else in a tower

in WvW

Posted by: Glenn.3417

Glenn.3417

Oil canon and kitten

Yeah, cause those totally don’t get aoe’d the crap out of. >_>

Champion Phantom – Legionnaire – Genius – Magus

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

That was the best update for today but they ruined it ! lawl!

•Necromancer trait: Now allows life-stealing on walls in World vs. World.

another one bites the dust :>

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Ambushbug.3146

Ambushbug.3146

This game already favors Offense too much. It takes half a day to upgrade structures all the way and tons of manhours of WORK (not play)…just to lose it all in literally a few minutes to a zerg.

Now you can’t even use catapults to defend against rams at the gate? WRONG DIRECTION arenanet.

If anything you should triple the hitpoints of structures and a whole list of other defensive advantages like safe places for cannons and mortars…

Have no problem with improving defensive capabilities of structures, as a matter of fact I would say it’s needed, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the change to catapults. Even if you don’t believe they were never intended to work that way, from a gaming standpoint it’s just silly. You would be helping to destroy your own door.

Leader of The Screaming Basenjis [TSB]
Mighty Hyperion-Warrior ~ Koweta-Ranger ~ Leephor-Necro ~ Mighty Mental-Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Scryar.2954

Scryar.2954

Dont see the Problem. Arrow Carts are better to destroy rams and the AOE Knockback from the Cata can be avoided by placing the rams right. But i agree that it ist too easy to destroy a gate. They should just increase the hp about 25%.

WvsW smallscale & tpvp
Champion- Magus, Shadow, Illusionist, Hunter

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

To easy for the attackers. I am guessing Anet wants it that way to make sure keeps/towers change ownership often.

I would prefer taking a tower/keep to mean something. Currently all it is is the enemy does a circuit taking towers/keeps. They don’t upgrade or siege it up, they just move on to next target. The realm that lost the towers/keeps plays follow the leader and retakes everything in the order it was originally taken.

Defenders should have more of an advantage.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Nirvana.5796

Nirvana.5796

To easy for the attackers. I am guessing Anet wants it that way to make sure keeps/towers change ownership often.

I would prefer taking a tower/keep to mean something. Currently all it is is the enemy does a circuit taking towers/keeps. They don’t upgrade or siege it up, they just move on to next target. The realm that lost the towers/keeps plays follow the leader and retakes everything in the order it was originally taken.

I think changing tower/keep posession makes WvW more fun. Larger/longer sieges are fun for the larger buildings, but I don’t think every little building should take forever to take.

Just my .02.

Love Buzz [VK] – Guardian – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

This is a thing that i talk often, WvW is nothing new, its AB (alliance batles) but in larger scale, the shrines just got surrounded by walls they even have the npc’s to take control.

Yes i agree with you, taking a castle /tower, whatever should be dificult and fancy that is what siege is about (adv: take control of castles to control zones in the mist).

The game got to limited in my opinion….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Verloren Stilte.9623

Verloren Stilte.9623

Place superior arrowcart behind door, and fire away.

in WvW

Posted by: Glenn.3417

Glenn.3417

So necro life stealing now works on walls, yet they disable the effect of sigil of leeching?
Logic anyone?

Champion Phantom – Legionnaire – Genius – Magus

in WvW

Posted by: FractalChaos.6539

FractalChaos.6539

Oil canon and kitten

The same burning olil and cannons which are 99% of the time destroyed by a category 5 AoE storm which is completely unavoidable?

I agree about catas being fixed like this; it’s not a nerf, it’s finally working as intended, and that’s good. My only problem is that there is still no valid way to defend a keep or tower against the stupid, poorly executed targeting in this game; siege weapons melt so quickly you can’t possibly use them in any serious way.

People’s ignorance really pisses me off.
Stupidity is when you can’t help it;
Ignorance is when you choose not to understand.

in WvW

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

Oil canon and kitten

The same burning olil and cannons which are 99% of the time destroyed by a category 5 AoE storm which is completely unavoidable?

I agree about catas being fixed like this; it’s not a nerf, it’s finally working as intended, and that’s good. My only problem is that there is still no valid way to defend a keep or tower against the stupid, poorly executed targeting in this game; siege weapons melt so quickly you can’t possibly use them in any serious way.

Sometimes when you only fix SOME of the bugs, those that remain create a big imbalance in the gameplay. This is a good example. The catapult “bug” was one way the defense could counter all of the offense related “bugs” of a tower/keep battle.

IMO, “fixes” like this need to come in big sweeping groups. Until they can fix the majority of Line of Sight bugs, Z-axis AOE targeting bugs (where you target a verticle surface and the AOE hits a horizonal surface.), and Ability to Object collision bugs, they need to not touch anything. “Fixing” one of them just makes the other remaining bugs seem more powerful and unbalanced.

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Meanwhile large zergs just stand in it and spam area heals.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

Meanwhile large zergs just stand in it and spam area heals.

Dont forget about the new WvW passive abilities!!
Now you can get a passive ability that increases arrow cart damage by 10%!!!
Now instead of hitting someone for 500 damage, you hit them for 550!

in WvW

Posted by: Saint Scarlet.2906

Saint Scarlet.2906

Not sure if someone mentioned/asked but does this apply to cannons and mortars as well. Coz it’s pretty much the same thing they can be used inside to hit outside the gate. I assume trebs are affected in the same way as cats, or it’ll be a treb in every tower/keep(the ones that have room to place them).

@ Gadzooks, you forgot that extra dmg is negated already due to the people having siege resistance!

Commander Oracle Of Glint
Executed [EXE]
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

While I can’t blame them for fixing this bug, there really needs to be a way to defend a gate effectively. Cannons and oil are just fodder that slows down zergs for an extra few seconds before they place rams. With the way zergs play out in WvW, it’s always easier and faster to go after a gate than sieging the wall.
Most players just carry rams because they are the cheapest way to takeover a tower. I always put catapults on gates and have been able to shut down 20 player zergs with 4 guys in a fully supplied keep. They just usually give up once the rams are gone and don’t bother to try setting up catapults out of arrow cart range. This “fix” just encourages PvDoor as the best method of siege.

in WvW

Posted by: Robot Chocken.7012

Robot Chocken.7012

Fortunately our guild was already a bigger fan of arrow carts behind the doors. Faster attack rate and higher DPS.

Wok, Master Asura of [QT]

in WvW

Posted by: Endemonadia.8593

Endemonadia.8593

Oil canon and kitten

Have u ever played in the top 3 tiers?

Cos Oil and Cannons are a bunch of meh

The OP has a good point that after hours upon hours work being undone due to a couple of minutes of a zerg is pretty bad for the game. Whereas i do agree that Cata splash damage was not intended to go through gates i do agree that defensive play needs to be buffed in some way.

Right now the only defensive tactics rewards the highly populated realms, by that i mean only shedloads of AC and Ballista on the walls can be used effectively to keep a zerg at bay. Im from a low pop realm (Piken) and we r playing in Teir3, we cannot effectively defend ANYTHING against the megazergs of our enemies. We are only playing so high in the rankings because our overall WvW population is better than our enemies… numbers beat us not skill basically.

With this in mind Catas defending gates will hurt a low pop realm like ours hugely

in WvW

Posted by: Drysdale.3826

Drysdale.3826

I agree and disagree with OP. Id be ok with nerfing the catapults, but OP is right it’s entirely to easy take a tower. They need to make defending a tower easier as to give smaller servers a fairer chance in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: iowen.4217

iowen.4217

the catas defending a door seems always like a bug(like all aoe hitting other side of door)
kinda like the fix.
maybe if the underdog buff would give +dmg vs sieges would help lower pop realms

Edit: shooting stones at your own door to “defend” it seems like a bad idea anyway,no one would try it for real ^^

(edited by iowen.4217)

in WvW

Posted by: MrHaze.3690

MrHaze.3690

So necro life stealing now works on walls, yet they disable the effect of sigil of leeching?
Logic anyone?

Necro stealing on walls has worked for a while, I took one of Overlook’s walls down 15% with autoattacks and wells once before I got caught.

Godhead Priest Endexa
Necromancer
Anvil’s Last Stand [ALS]

in WvW

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

Lifesteal…. The inanimate object…

Makes perfect sense.

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in WvW

Posted by: Sacrx.6721

Sacrx.6721

very good change. Now for arrow carts next. Servers will fall!.

Red Guard – Ultimate Dominator World First 25/6/13
if carlsberg played Guardian.

in WvW

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

Because no one takes down the oil and cannon before placing rams, right?

Maybe they don’t in his tier. ^,^

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.

in WvW

Posted by: Ralathar.7236

Ralathar.7236

Arrow carts makes sense since they shoot up and over. Catapults were always a cheap and far too easy method to defend a tower that costs a single person.

It was flat out imbalanced.

Also, massed arrow carts put out 10 times the damage a catapult could ever hope for. If you don’t know this you’ve never experienced a proper lord room meat grinder where arrow carts kitten people in mere seconds regardless of build.

This will just mean it takes 2-3 guys on arrow carts, which can be counter-sieged by catapults, to defend a door.

Also, this may be a surprise to most folks, but castle defense is not a desirable position. It’s desirable if a fight happens in the short term only. In the real world things like food, disease, morale, etc are all serious concerns and most sieges never made it to battle before surrendering. The attackers actually have most of the advantages real world.

However we play a game revolving around combat. Keeps are still a major defensive boost, towers are still a moderate defensive boost. You just gained more counters is all.

Also, word to the wide, keep that cata around inside to counter enemy siege. Or a well placed treb at certain towers/keeps.

Rashanala – 80 Elementalist
Ehmry Bay – Legion of the Iron Hawk [Hawk]

in WvW

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

Next up, trebuchets behind gates, hue hue hue hue hue

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in WvW

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

I like this change and it is a step in the RIGHT direction.

Catapults behind a door to defend didn’t make any sense at all. If anything they should have helped break down the door faster.

And yes we still have arrow carts (very helpful with the zoom out) so it’s the end of the world.

Quickness was nerfed so golems are not a big of a threat as they once were.

Now golems and rams are about equally as threatening. Defenders still have a lot of options.

in WvW

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

“I know, let’s aim a catapult at OUR OWN DOOR to take out the enemies on the other side! IT’S FOOLPROOF!”

I’m just glad they managed to put a stop to this utterly backwards logic that somehow still managed to work.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

None of you ever watched old “Laurel and Hardy” or “The Three Stooges”? Doors or gates that swing can be dangerous, even when latched. If they have sufficient slack in the mechanism to allow motion. Which gates in WvW do…..

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: wish.3102

wish.3102

Just drop a third arrow cart behind the gate instead of a cata+2 arrow carts. I don’t really agree with this change, but I think thats the best you can do.

Jade Quarry. RNG/THF/GRD/WAR
SovietSpaceDogs[SSD]

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Hope all the other splash damage that goes through doors was fixed then eg. engineers flamethrower?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Hope all the other splash damage that goes through doors was fixed then eg. engineers flamethrower?

That wasn’t. Or at least, Guardian Staff 1 got through the doors.

in WvW

Posted by: Yerffejy.6538

Yerffejy.6538

I didn’t hear anything about a treb behind the door? xD