New Tier System

New Tier System

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Q:

Hi all, I have an idea I would really like to have a discussion on, and get peoples ideas and feedback regarding a new type of tier system. Basically it would break up servers into 3 different tiers that would give each player a choice on what kind of WvW experience they would prefer in terms of player population. This is simply something I would like to discuss, so please keep it civil and constructive, it doesn’t mean I am endorsing the idea or would like it to replace the current system.

Note:These numbers are just used as an example.

Basically the top 6 servers would become Gold tier and keep the existing map caps. Then the next 6 servers would become a Silver Tier and be locked with a Medium Population map cap of about 60 per map. Then there would be 3 servers that make up a Bronze Tier with a map pop cap of 40 people per map. This way players who prefer bigger fights can have that option in gold, players who prefer a smaller team atmosphere can have a place in Bronze.

Glicko rng would be eliminated since there would be an equal chance for all servers not in bronze to have a different matchup each week. Transfer fees would be changed from 1200 for Gold, 800 for Silver, and 500 for Bronze.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

New Tier System

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I don’t think that is a horrid idea in concept, but only having 3 servers in a tier would be no match variance at all – not sure anyone wants that.

6 servers in a tier with seasons type of rotation of match variation is great. 18 servers is probably too many for the current pop though.

Certainly not a bad concept though….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

New Tier System

in WvW

X T D.6458

I don’t think that is a horrid idea in concept, but only having 3 servers in a tier would be no match variance at all – not sure anyone wants that.

6 servers in a tier with seasons type of rotation of match variation is great. 18 servers is probably too many for the current pop though.

Certainly not a bad concept though….

Oh yea the 3 was just an example although I think it would work better then 6, I think a higher number of servers then we currently have can work in theory because it would spread the population with the reduced map caps.

New Tier System

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

I think something like this would be possible if NA & EU could be combined for greater variance but since that will never happen it probably will not be popular enough to sell to 75% either side of the pond. And while it would be nice (and even something I’ve suggested in the past) it is generally a bad idea to segregate different play styles because they are actually stronger together and often need each other to thrive. I do wish ANET would consider trying a few more risky things but it is probably too late for that.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

New Tier System

in WvW

X T D.6458

I think something like this would be possible if NA & EU could be combined for greater variance but since that will never happen it probably will not be popular enough to sell to 75% either side of the pond. And while it would be nice (and even something I’ve suggested in the past) it is generally a bad idea to segregate different play styles because they are actually stronger together and often need each other to thrive. I do wish ANET would consider trying a few more risky things but it is probably too late for that.

I would love to be able to play with/against EU servers unfortunately its not possible due to technical limitations. You do bring up a good point about different playstyles, but this was already possible before server linking. I agree though both playstyles do absolutely need each other, I love working with small op groups when my guild raids.

New Tier System

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I would love to be able to play with/against EU servers unfortunately its not possible due to technical limitations. You do bring up a good point about different playstyles, but this was already possible before server linking. I agree though both playstyles do absolutely need each other, I love working with small op groups when my guild raids.

Your idea still allows for all playstyles in each group. The way I see it, the difference is when you do want to “blob it up” – just how big is that blob? Some may only want to blob, but their computer handles 40v40v40 better than current qvqvq. A few in my guild are sort of forced to scout / small ops because their system cant handle t1 qvqvq. Heck sometimes I think anet cant handle it with no skills firing for anyone.

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

New Tier System

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

(This looks familiar, think I’ve suggested it once or twice in the past)

Which is to say, I think it is a good idea

3 servers in Bronze, can kind of see it, but also sad about lack of match variety.

For this to work, there would have to new servers, so they could reset the server populations, and try to limit it. I’d probably just always set the most populated server as full, no matter what, and have decreasing cost for gems for the others. Basically 6 servers: Full, very high, high, medium, low, Free!

There probably would need another safeguard against server stacking as well, but I’m not entirely sure what. (Unless we start going into dynamically adjusting map population/Queue’s with the other servers etc, which is going to cause lots of grief as well)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”