New game mode idea for WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zuko.8021

Zuko.8021

Imagine if WvW can be turned into a mode. A mode that would put a defensive side and offensive side. The defensive side would have to defend 3 castles and a certain amount of keeps. The castles do not connect internally but there is a starting point for the defensive side to rally behind the castles. The offensive side on the other hand would have to only attack but setting certain camps or keeps as a safe hold for their rally. Each side would consist of two servers each meaning two ally servers vs 2 other servers. Having commanders defend three castles that will be attacked. The map wont be like WvW where its so open that you can skip the enemy or go getting points for taking empty castles or keeps without a fight. Both teams would be forced to fight of course one more defensively than the other. Once that match is over then the teams will swap from defensive to attack and vise versus. I hope Anet can take a look at this and maybe take it as a suggestion and add some thing like this with their great ideas and developers. It would probably bring back some players who knows.

in WvW

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

First off, Put some punctuation/new lines. in that post. People don’t like reading one large paragraph.

This sounds a lot like the borderlands map with small differences. I get where you coming from, but I think you need to think up a few more ideas on how it would be diverse from the current standard.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

How about dont imagine it.

WvW is what WvW is. This isnt an idea for WvW, this is a new game you describe. It would not bring back players because this isnt what kept players. WvW is what kept players but eventually everyone get bored. No amount of new “modes” change that, otherwise we’d all still be playing Pacman and go “yeah wouldnt it be awesome if the ghosts had weapons?!”.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

On the last day of GW2 beta, they had a game mode where players fought map champions run by devs. Those that died became “corrupted” and were directed to kill uncorrupted players. It was a lot of fun and an interesting twist on PvP. I am surprised they never refined and tried that event again just to mix things up.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Imagine if WvW can be turned into a mode. A mode that would put a defensive side and offensive side.

The defensive side would have to defend 3 castles and a certain amount of keeps. The castles do not connect internally but there is a starting point for the defensive side to rally behind the castles.

The offensive side on the other hand would have to only attack but setting certain camps or keeps as a safe hold for their rally.

Each side would consist of two servers each meaning two ally servers vs 2 other servers. Having commanders defend three castles that will be attacked.

The map wont be like WvW where its so open that you can skip the enemy or go getting points for taking empty castles or keeps without a fight. Both teams would be forced to fight of course one more defensively than the other.

Once that match is over then the teams will swap from defensive to attack and vise versus.

I hope Anet can take a look at this and maybe take it as a suggestion and add some thing like this with their great ideas and developers. It would probably bring back some players who knows.

Added line breaks for easier reading.

---

It sounds like what you want is more of a linear map between 2 "teams", where you can push back and forth. Sort of a map with a single big lane where each team starts on the opposite sides, and with structures, keeps, and towers etc closing off each area. Thus creating a "conflict zone" system, where people will be fighting over one specific tower or keep at a time.

If team A lose a keep, they have to fall back to the previous structure (tower for ex), and team B will get to hound them all the way, and start laying siege to the next structure (tower). This system gives less freedom but focuses/directs the action much more into these "conflict zones". At the loss of the freedom of movement we currently have in WvW.

This kind of map would lead itself well to a handicap system, so at the center (SMC for ex) there would be 0 handicap, and everyone would be on an even standing. But the further back you get pushed, the more map-inherent handicaps you get. These can be anything from geographical advantages, to better siege spots, unique defensive siege, more or harder npc’s, or other dangers etc, like nasty bridges that creates focus points etc.

This could be so hard that at the very last structure 1-2 people might be able to hold of a single map blob. And that last structure should be super easy to retake for the "home team" at that side.

This system can also work with 3 teams actually, by forming the map into a Circle form, where you get to fight against both other teams, one on each front. And get pushed back to your last keep which guards the entry to your spawn. If you lose that, then you get pushed into a running retreat toward spawn with towers with more and more handicaps like above.

---

All of this could be done with a single map, without the need to change the game mode.

The above idea is based around keeps and towers completely blocking progress to the next area/zone, so you need to batter through it. Optional ideas for making only some of them lock access to other areas, so roamers can still scout around somewhat. For example make towers block roads but not keeps. And towers can have extra walls that can be catapulted down to bypass etc. This is a bit up to taste really.

---

If we where to make a own new mode, I think I’d rather see something more like a competitive variant of WvW, something like a 40vs40 planned game, where 2 teams line up, set a time/date, and meet up. And do a 2-3-4 hours battle on different maps. Either a SMC style siege, or a full on full fight in ruins or something.

Would let larger guilds and guild alliances try to be actually competitive in a WvW environment. Setup an make teams, train and setup comp, make plans, voice coms, organize etc. And then do a 2-4 hours Match against another equally determined enemy. Sounds much cooler than a pve raid, it would actually put in the elements WvW lacks to be considered competitive/sport etc.

---

This rant was brought to you by a bored guy that is trying to procrastinate because he hates packing stuff for moving.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

(edited by joneirikb.7506)

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

On the last day of GW2 beta, they had a game mode where players fought map champions run by devs. Those that died became “corrupted” and were directed to kill uncorrupted players. It was a lot of fun and an interesting twist on PvP. I am surprised they never refined and tried that event again just to mix things up.

The champs (Eir and Rytlock I believe) was AI pathed along the roads instantly 360 noscope sniping corrupted players (getting close to them was impossible as they where level 80 and you where level 5 or something… as in real levels). The corruption was from being killed by Shatterers mobs after he did his flyby, or later by players. It was a no-win situation and impossible to complete broken and buggy PvE-PvP hybrid event (the music was the best part haha).

Either way, it wasnt WvW nor is it anything I want to see in WvW. Best case scenario, Eir or Rytlock as keep lords.

in WvW

Posted by: Zuko.8021

Zuko.8021

Imagine if WvW can be turned into a mode. A mode that would put a defensive side and offensive side.

The defensive side would have to defend 3 castles and a certain amount of keeps. The castles do not connect internally but there is a starting point for the defensive side to rally behind the castles.

The offensive side on the other hand would have to only attack but setting certain camps or keeps as a safe hold for their rally.

Each side would consist of two servers each meaning two ally servers vs 2 other servers. Having commanders defend three castles that will be attacked.

The map wont be like WvW where its so open that you can skip the enemy or go getting points for taking empty castles or keeps without a fight. Both teams would be forced to fight of course one more defensively than the other.

Once that match is over then the teams will swap from defensive to attack and vise versus.

I hope Anet can take a look at this and maybe take it as a suggestion and add some thing like this with their great ideas and developers. It would probably bring back some players who knows.

Added line breaks for easier reading.

It sounds like what you want is more of a linear map between 2 “teams”, where you can push back and forth. Sort of a map with a single big lane where each team starts on the opposite sides, and with structures, keeps, and towers etc closing off each area. Thus creating a “conflict zone” system, where people will be fighting over one specific tower or keep at a time.

If team A lose a keep, they have to fall back to the previous structure (tower for ex), and team B will get to hound them all the way, and start laying siege to the next structure (tower). This system gives less freedom but focuses/directs the action much more into these “conflict zones”. At the loss of the freedom of movement we currently have in WvW.

This kind of map would lead itself well to a handicap system, so at the center (SMC for ex) there would be 0 handicap, and everyone would be on an even standing. But the further back you get pushed, the more map-inherent handicaps you get. These can be anything from geographical advantages, to better siege spots, unique defensive siege, more or harder npc’s, or other dangers etc, like nasty bridges that creates focus points etc.

This could be so hard that at the very last structure 1-2 people might be able to hold of a single map blob. And that last structure should be super easy to retake for the “home team” at that side.

This system can also work with 3 teams actually, by forming the map into a Circle form, where you get to fight against both other teams, one on each front. And get pushed back to your last keep which guards the entry to your spawn. If you lose that, then you get pushed into a running retreat toward spawn with towers with more and more handicaps like above.

All of this could be done with a single map, without the need to change the game mode.

The above idea is based around keeps and towers completely blocking progress to the next area/zone, so you need to batter through it. Optional ideas for making only some of them lock access to other areas, so roamers can still scout around somewhat. For example make towers block roads but not keeps. And towers can have extra walls that can be catapulted down to bypass etc. This is a bit up to taste really.

If we where to make a own new mode, I think I’d rather see something more like a competitive variant of WvW, something like a 40vs40 planned game, where 2 teams line up, set a time/date, and meet up. And do a 2-3-4 hours battle on different maps. Either a SMC style siege, or a full on full fight in ruins or something.

Would let larger guilds and guild alliances try to be actually competitive in a WvW environment. Setup an make teams, train and setup comp, make plans, voice coms, organize etc. And then do a 2-4 hours Match against another equally determined enemy. Sounds much cooler than a pve raid, it would actually put in the elements WvW lacks to be considered competitive/sport etc.

This rant was brought to you by a bored guy that is trying to procrastinate because he hates packing stuff for moving.

this guys has the ideas of what I was thinking he said it better than I could imagine. This is what I meant and he perfected it . This would be an awesome idea, I rather battle it out than just run around taking empty castles .

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I have to agree with those that posted that the OP’s suggestion is basically a new game……not wvw in GW2. Too late to make this sort of game mode change in GW2, as it would appeal to a completely different set of players.

Op’s suggestion would work much better in a game that was being developed with WvW as a major part of the game, rather than an afterthought….as Anet did it. I could maybe see the down the road ‘Camelot Unchained’ being able to do something like what the OP suggests.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Sounds like a “battleground” idea to add separately, not something to replace wvw.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Teon.5168

Sounds like a “battleground” idea to add separately, not something to replace wvw.

I could maybe see that, but I think Anet has a lot higher priorities than that right now.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

For some reason the more I read the description the more it sounds like a MOBA, is that the game play you are referring to (just on a say 40v40 scale)

Or am I envisioning this idea incorrectly/wrong?

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

I could maybe see that, but I think Anet has a lot higher priorities than that right now.

Yup, they don’t have the time to build new systems for a completely new game mode at the moment, still need to upgrade the old stuff we have, wvw, spvp, dungeons, fractals, then living story soon, new legendaries some time this century, new raids, new expansion, when they’re quite clearly shown they can’t work on all of the above at the same time.

It’ll be nice to have battlegrounds at some point though, if they can manage to do something bigger than 5v5.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

I have to agree with those that posted that the OP’s suggestion is basically a new game……not wvw in GW2. Too late to make this sort of game mode change in GW2, as it would appeal to a completely different set of players.

Op’s suggestion would work much better in a game that was being developed with WvW as a major part of the game, rather than an afterthought….as Anet did it. I could maybe see the down the road ‘Camelot Unchained’ being able to do something like what the OP suggests.

Well, in this case you could actually solve all this with a single new map, no need to actually change the game mode or anything.

But it would be a map that would work very different from what we’re used to from WvW currently. And it might work better with EotM than WvW as things stand, since it focuses more on constant action than tactics.

But I can completely understand why you would want to skip that evil looking heart-crushing wall of text above, I would have done the same if I could.

in WvW

Teon.5168

Yup, they don’t have the time to build new systems for a completely new game mode at the moment, still need to upgrade the old stuff we have, wvw, spvp, dungeons, fractals, then living story soon, new legendaries some time this century, new raids, new expansion, when they’re quite clearly shown they can’t work on all of the above at the same time.

It’ll be nice to have battlegrounds at some point though, if they can manage to do something bigger than 5v5.

Yup, agreed.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

I would agree if ANet would actually have to build a whole new game mode for this, alas they don’t have to, all they need to do is create a single map for this. Granted creating a map isn’t exactly nothing, but still much less than a whole new mode.

WvW mode is actually amazingly flexible, and could easily adapt multiple more play-styles by adding more different maps, instead of repeatedly creating the same style of maps we got so far.

A lot of players just want constant action and wouldn’t mind sacrificing some of the other elements of the existing maps for that, a map like the one I suggested above would probably be popular with that crowd. Basically a running 2 front fight over towers/keeps, and if you get pushed back to your main keep you start building up handicaps the further you get pushed back so less numbers can actually fight back against the enemy. So you never feel useless or hopeless.

It would definitively not be a map for the more “serious WvWer”, this is also why I thought it would perhaps work better under eotm than traditional wvw.

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

Well reading both ideas they’re both separate. Zudo’s idea is like a separate battleground much like WoW’s Strand of the ancients battleground, where the attacking side is blasting through fortified areas to get to the end and get the relic(or in this case 3 castles), the defenders hold out for as long as they can, teams then switch do it again for round 2, and the team with the fastest attack time wins.

Joneirikb’s idea is basically ebg which already has 3 sides pushing on each other from separate fronts (Warcraft3 AoS maps), closing off areas so that attackers have to go through the tower areas to get access to the next area, (btw desert bl was designed with that in mind, remember the walls and barricades that were removed as per player request?).

You could also achieve that progression with a lattice system instead (something Planetside had), where you had to capture A in order to go after B, which created focused hot spots for the next defense/attack. Planetside bases also had bonuses attached to them, which gave the attackers purpose to go after them when no scoring was present in the game. Also had no need to put up walls everywhere other than around bases, something I sometimes think anet should do for towers in wvw.

Anyways.. Now look at the time it takes for them to create new maps.
How much time it’s taking for them to create the new scoring system.
How much time would be needed to physically change ebg.

Realistically this isn’t something that can be done soon™, and yes either way it does require a lot of work. I do hope battlegrounds type play can be implemented at some point though, would be a good in between the current spvp 5v5 arena fights and wvw zerg fights. The only problem adding more modes like that is it will take players away from spvp and wvw.

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

Completely agreed on the amount of work either way. Was mostly pointing out that it doesn’t need a new mode to achieve what he wanted, and wouldn’t have to change any of the existing rules of the game to accomplish.

That, and I certainly would like them to create more *different* maps, instead of just more of the same style/type, we already got 4 maps in the same/similar style.

I personally would likely have been bored to tears on the map example I made above. I need my free movement to run around.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The champs (Eir and Rytlock I believe) was AI pathed along the roads instantly 360 noscope sniping corrupted players (getting close to them was impossible as they where level 80 and you where level 5 or something… as in real levels). The corruption was from being killed by Shatterers mobs after he did his flyby, or later by players. It was a no-win situation and impossible to complete broken and buggy PvE-PvP hybrid event (the music was the best part haha).

Either way, it wasnt WvW nor is it anything I want to see in WvW. Best case scenario, Eir or Rytlock as keep lords.

The reason I brought it up wasn’t that it was a perfect game mode, but that they do have alternate large scale fighting game mode possibilities. It would be an interesting change to brush off that Beta game mode, clean it up and turn it into a seasonal event for WvW players.

“Survival” games are very popular these days and a short term change of scenery might bring back a lot of old timers.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”