New matches should start Sunday night, not Friday night

in WvW

Posted by: Nycthemeron.7690

Nycthemeron.7690

Two Reasons:
1) It’s a little more difficult for the average working person to rush home from work, get family/friend things cleared, then log on for some serious Wv3 time. Sunday night would be a little easier on the work-week schedule of things.

2) The one advantage you can gain for your world in Wv3 are the “percentage” bonuses in PvE play (crafting, experience, etc.) These reset on Friday night with the new matches. This means that the prime play hours for most people (weekends) those bonuses are low or non-existent.

in WvW

Posted by: Vexacion.3971

Vexacion.3971

The key point in WvW matchups is the first couple days. It’s makes more sense to have the first few days on the weekend with the closing day on a friday.

It seems that your proposal is more to benefit PvE than to benefit WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Haldunius.7864

Haldunius.7864

As an average working person that change would be terrible for me. I can stay up late on Friday and Saturday night; the two most important nights of the match typically. Sunday I need my beauty sleep.

FA Mesmo – [VK]
Last words – “I’m going to jump off this cliff
and pull all those guys down cuz they’ll die.”

in WvW

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

The reset of the WvW should be in the day when there is a scheduled patch/maintenance (as it make a lot of server become high populated). The benefit of this is: people do not now which server will be a winner of the next week match which will give them hard decision to move server. In addition, it will close possibility to transfer to winning server (higher tier only) for rest of the week as these servers always full.

in WvW

Posted by: blue.8629

blue.8629

Um.. I take it you don’t work? Who can stay up really late on a sunday that works :s Weekend makes more sense, not the sunday when a lot of people chose to game on the weekend and monday is normally the start of the working week for everyone.

Blue… My name is a colour.

in WvW

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

The key point in WvW matchups is the first couple days. It’s makes more sense to have the first few days on the weekend with the closing day on a friday.

This is circular reasoning.

The first few days are when a match is decided because the match starts on a Friday night. Regardless of which timezone you are in, there are always more people online on the weekend because everyone that works is able to play and/or play for longer.

If the start/end of the match were to be switched to a Sunday night we would see the end of the match being the deciding period.

If the start/end of the match were to be changed to a Wednesday we would see the middle of the match being the deciding period.

Changing to a Sunday night start/end makes abundant sense because a match should be decided at the end and not the beginning.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

in WvW

Posted by: Sotaudi.1265

Sotaudi.1265

I have to agree with the no votes. Starting it on Sunday night would mean that people who have to work (or go to school, etc.) on Monday, which makes up the majority of players, would have to choose between getting enough sleep to meet their real life obligations or staying up and help estabish a server’s position at one of the most critical points of the match. That is hardly more beneficial that having to wait a couple of hours to get into the start of the match.

Worse, let us say they did the reset at 4 PM PST Sunday (not even Sunday night). That is 7 PM on the West Coast of the U.S., but it is midnight in London, and 1 to 2 AM in much of the Europe. Worse, it is already 8 AM Monday morning in Tokyo, Soeul, and Western Austrailia. That also makes it is 10 AM in Eastern Australia and even noon in New Zealand.

So basically, because some of us cannot get in at the moment the matches start and may have to wait a couple of hours to get in, those in England and the rest of Europe, and especially those in the Pacific Rim should be screwed completely. I don’t see that as a good alternative.

in WvW

Posted by: Glor.2485

Glor.2485

If the start/end of the match were to be switched to a Sunday night we would see the end of the match being the deciding period.

No, we wouldn’t. Gaps between servers caused by nightcapping would be so huge that most people wouldn’t even try to turn the tide when most servers have around the same coverage, while their server could have started a positive dynamic by taking the lead during the week-end. WvWvW is much more competitive during the week-end, and your proposition would take that away in my opinion.

in WvW

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

If your server is going to win or lose because of night-capping, it makes little difference when the match ends. At least with a weekend ending your server has a chance at making a comeback.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

in WvW

Posted by: yertle.5837

yertle.5837

The match is often over well before the end of the week; in many matchups the first few days are the only competitive ones. Moving those few competitive days to the middle/end of the week from the weekend would be an awful change and will never happen.

And no, people will not queue up to try to come back from a 700-0-0 blowout on the weekend just because its the last few days – they’ll wait until the next matchup… Which is on monday, forcing many to miss it due to IRL obligations.

With how snowbally WvW is currently (due to design; hopefully some of it is changed) there is no way to force the end to be competitive.

Acenn (Thief)
also L80 Ele/Necro/Mesmer
IoJ

in WvW

Posted by: CharliePrince.2071

CharliePrince.2071

I’ve never liked the Friday reset tbh, I’ve always felt it should be a Wednesday or Thursday reset. Friday resets heading into the weekend HEAVILY favor overpopulated servers with 24-7 coverage and this is why nearly every single matchup that we ever see is a runaway blowout.

It would be better to have the reset on Wed or Thu leading into the weekend rather than these Friday resets which simply leads to matches being over in 2 days.

in WvW

Posted by: Aldermeer.8395

Aldermeer.8395

I’m pretty sure the first day would be the decider no matter which day it was. I agree with yertle that it’s currently designed very “snowbally”, which makes the short-period transfer restriction even more crappy when a large alliance transfers en masse. I attribute this more to the players than the design, though. I know when my server is 5:1 in points and the BL are dead, I really don’t feel like it’s worth putting the time into.

in WvW

Posted by: Glor.2485

Glor.2485

@Aldermeer : this is completely wrong, first day is not the decider. It would be though if the reset occured on sunday evening like it’s suggested here.

This is euro tier1 : http://mos.millenium.org/servers/view/16
Winning realm took the lead midweek… Would have taken the lead on day 1 if it were a monday (nightcapping creating huge gaps), leading to less pvp involvement from the losing realms on the week-end. And the score wouldn’t be so close.

in WvW

Posted by: Neandramathal.9536

Neandramathal.9536

Personally I’d prefer the reset midweek or monday morning, and at like 6pm not midnight.

Smaller servers that can’t fill the zones at the best of times struggle further at the reset’s on a weekend because their opponents have access to a larger player base than during the week so the gap is widened.

Come the start of the week the gap is so large that the majority do not even join in. Even when a server is obviously the stronger, the gaps achieved during those initial days are usually larger and cause a morale issue.

[GoV] Gnomes of Vabbi || [Imp] Impact
Currently @ Piken Square
Small scale unimpressive videos of unimpressiveness: http://www.youtube.com/neandramathal

in WvW

Posted by: ShaunZ.1098

ShaunZ.1098

Actually, new matches should start Wednesday at 6:00 PM. Because that’s pizza night and I can play while eating a hot slice of pepperoni. All other arguments for any other time are baseless and unrealistic!

Gremmil – Fort Aspenwood Engineer
It’s [NERF] or nothing!