Night protection

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

Unfortunately the thread creator is right. This is the thing that made my playing in WvW horrible experience and I went out of WvW for a long time. I have to admit that after some time I went back to it, but I really hope they will find solution for this problem, because it pains many, many players.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

But how is it a problem?
Night for you is day for someone else.
There is no solution to this issue that won’t punish some people.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

There are a lot solutions.

This is one (my favoured) of them: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Night-protection-1/3281118

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Mizu.9387

Mizu.9387

I will repost here, since most can’t be bothered to actually read the thread and have their brains locked on this “night” thing.

1) Make a final upgrade that locks a keep for a certain amount of time. If you decide to upgrade it 9am or 6pm, that’s up to you.

2) Lower the ppt from structures, increase from kills.

3) Make smaller matches within the match. 6-8 hour shifts, that when done, gives match points to the winner and runner-up. If I’m being unclear, think scoring in tennis.

Sif Urkraft

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Phedre Scion.1520

Phedre Scion.1520

If servers were separated by time zones and people were able to pick which server they were on when they first started playing the game based on their time zone, then yes this would be a good idea. But the way things are set up now, this would be extremely unfair to people in different time zones. It annoys me too when we fight all day to cap things and people show up at night and take everything while our whole server is sleeping. But the way things are set up now, it would do more harm than good.

What happens when my play time changes? Due to the nature of my job, the time I play in summer versus winter changes. What if I take vacation time that I am at home? Does that mean I would have to pay for server changes each time my play time changes? That would suck.

Night protection

in WvW

Dayra.7405

What happens when my play time changes? Due to the nature of my job, the time I play in summer versus winter changes. What if I take vacation time that I am at home? Does that mean I would have to pay for server changes each time my play time changes? That would suck.

Not in my proposal (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Night-protection-1/3281118), your server would be just differently ranked (and matched) for the different times, but every server always plays. E.g. during the EU-Prime (16-24 UTC) your server plays with servers that have an EU-Prime-Rank around 6, during the NA-prime (0-8 UTC) for NA-prime-Rank 1, and during Pacific-Prime (8-16 UTC) for Pacific-Prime-Rank 15. So it plays different matches against different servers for every time-slice depending on your serves strength in that time-slice. This should ensure that every time-slice is better balanced than it is today, where only the mean-strength over the day is used to determine your match.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

If they want to solve the “night capping” problem there is a simple solution

reduce the amount of ppt gained from SMC, garrison, keeps, towers and camps and increase the amount of ppt gained from killing players

and this is not just during off hours this is a 24/7 change

change the objective values based off upgrades
make camps worth 1ppt, towers worth 2, keeps 3, garri 4 and smc 5ppt and increase that every time an objective is upgraded, so a fully upgraded camp is worth 5 and a full upgraded smc is worth 25

bring back the 3 ppt per stomp based off the number of bloodlust buffs you have

so what will this do
ppt based off actual fights not just holding objectives, killing yaks to starve supply now has a even more direct ppt impact as those upgrades to get max ppt are not going through, even when outmanned you can still impact the max ppt a server gets just by flipping camps every so often and not just before the tick, upgrades actually mean something more than just a longer response time to defend

sure if you have no one on during an off time for your server things are going to get flipped, but most of the ppt will be gained from player kills, not from the recently flipped objectives which will now take time to fully upgrade to maximize ppt

the game is 24/7 solutions need to be 24/7 too

these are things i’ve proposed and supported EXCEPT increaseing PPT value by upgrading. The stronger server keeps full upgrades while they karma-train the others and keep it all paper. No need to give them even bigger PPT advantage.

But capping an upgraded structure should give bonus one-time points to encourage fighting the stronger server(s) and to reflect effort. Capping a T3 Garrison is 10x harder than a paper one.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Not in my proposal (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Night-protection-1/3281118), your server would be just differently ranked (and matched) for the different times, but every server always plays. E.g. during the EU-Prime (16-24 UTC) your server plays with servers that have an EU-Prime-Rank around 6, during the NA-prime (0-8 UTC) for NA-prime-Rank 1, and during Pacific-Prime (8-16 UTC) for Pacific-Prime-Rank 15. So it plays different matches against different servers for every time-slice depending on your serves strength in that time-slice. This should ensure that every time-slice is better balanced than it is today, where only the mean-strength over the day is used to determine your match.

that would tear the entire communities apart. right now on my server we all work together. if na faces a different opponent than we do, its just not constructive. i know nightcapping can be frustrating, but punishing servers that have better coverage by ripping them apart is a terrible idea. i love playing when i want and working as a server together. if our sea gets steamrolled, our daytime can make up for it. also na will prepare and upgrade keeps for oceanics while oceanics will siege up for sea and sea will try to hold till na logs in. i like this system and dont want it to be changed.
maybe in eu the coverage is a bigger issue than in na, but here we do face servers like db, that have a weak na but insane sea coverage where they field almost as much as a t1 server.
we have a weaker sea but we usually prepare with ton of siege and scouts.
if my server is facing tc i dont wanna face another server at night i am facing that server for 1 week. full stop!
night capping has always been there and in an rvr environment that is part of the game!

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Night protection

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Yeah PvD for the glory of the server has not only opponents but also fans or it would not happen

Most play likely more than one timeslice, so I guess it would not harm integrity of the server, on the other side I may never seen someone playing at my night, whatever that means for server integrity

Anyhow, we had PvD as the decisive factor of match-outcome now for more than a year, and it did not became more interesting over time. Time for something different.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

There are so many variables, locking things for a determined period of time won’t work. Some people work dead shifts, others work from 9 to 5, or 8 to 2. Some go to school, some are on holidays. And the biggest one : week ends.
Also, and I’m aware this doesn’t affect that many persons : some don’t stay in the same time zone all year long. Or even for more than 6 months.

Wanna play WvW ? Well you can’t because it’s not the time to.

I prefer the idea that has been voiced numerous times : the more upgraded something is, the more points it’s worth.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Morxeton.1743

Morxeton.1743

I think one of the best ways to address this issue is making the outmanned buff actually worth something. Make it so it’s a 33% bonus to all stats and gives you 33% more damage to doors, walls, and guards.

Being outmanned basically means you are going to get stomped anyways. With this change, it would allow the outmanned server to flip objectives faster and have a better fighting chance against a larger group of players. It’s not perfect but I think it’s better than what we have now.

Tataera (Elementalist), Morxeton (Necromancer)
Borlis Pass

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

I think one of the best ways to address this issue is making the outmanned buff actually worth something. Make it so it’s a 33% bonus to all stats and gives you 33% more damage to doors, walls, and guards.

Being outmanned basically means you are going to get stomped anyways. With this change, it would allow the outmanned server to flip objectives faster and have a better fighting chance against a larger group of players. It’s not perfect but I think it’s better than what we have now.

i’ve thought a lot about this and how to keep it from being abused. it wouldn’t be easy.

there are a lot of issues with it that would need to be addressed:

1. ruins roaming. obviously a roamer with +33 stats is OP
2. enemy would need to be able to SEE your OM buff once again and know you’re outnumbered. if they can’t see it and you also have +33% stats that’s not really fair.
3. what happens when you’re in the middle of sieging a keep and relying on your stat buff to take down the lord and some enemy defenders, and all the sudden some allies come into spawn, you lose your buff, and die.

The best way I can possibly think of to fix this is OM buff shouldn’t be based on entire map population, but rather population within 2000 range of yourself. So if you’re 1 vs 10 you’d have the buff, but 1v1 you would not. People at spawn would not affect your buff unless you’re near spawn. Enemy players AFK at citadel would not make you outmanned. And so on….

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Other games have things like “night protection” where your resources are frozen until the next day. I could imagine a stack of Legendary defenders walking out into the map during night to hold the keeps and then leave in the morning. It doesn’t even have to be 8 hours, just something like 6 so it’s not so easy to color the entire map using American guilds.

Edit for clarification: The idea is to have night protection during US night for US servers, and protection for EU servers during EU night time.

Thanks for considering a solution to this.

Tsath

Don’t worry, this was mentioned in the DCI thread and so will be in the Arenanet Policy Tombola.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Night protection

in WvW

selan.8354

fixing the outmanned buff for sure would help, but still cannot be made very powerful as it will lead to even more griefing as we already have.(enemy server has 10 people that transferred to the enemy server and places 10 players + on each map to prevent the enemy getting the outmanned buff.
also having a night protection would make me quit the game as i am on an na server but play mainly oceanics and sea due to my work and on weekends i sometimes get to play daytime.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Jorjeis.2169

Jorjeis.2169

This is one (my favoured) of them: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Night-protection-1/3281118

Bad suggestion is bad. This assumes that people only ever play in a specific 8 hour window. Which is kitten.

Member of [KnT] – Blackgate

Night protection

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Bad suggestion is bad. This assumes that people only ever play in a specific 8 hour window. Which is kitten.

It does not assume that. Match-switch at 0UTC, 8UTC and 16UTC should not take much longer than map-change, if appropriately cached. You can play full 24h.

I guess it’s even better for people that play in several time-slices, than it is for people playing only the servers prime. Because they now get fair matches for every time-slice. and neither a bad superiority in one slice and a non-existent enemy at another slice. (which would make the servers in mean equally strong.)

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

I am an early bird, might be online at 6am. My niece is a nightbird, might be on till 4am. 6 or 8 hours Wvw server downtime would mean I can’t play, or she can’t play.
Poor suggestion.

/notsigned

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

More self-entitled people thinking only their timezone matters. People can play and get ppt whenever they darn well want to, thank you very much.

Point balancing is something that should be worked on, but outright blocking access to the game by timezone is rubbish.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

Well tough, go play on your own servers :-)

Moron, they don’t have their own oceanic servers.

Shutting down at night not only hurts oceanic, but it also hurts NA people who work late, and have to play over night.

Also, if we shutdown night, then we might as well shutdown daytime contribution as well, because people have jobs, and school. So, basically, WvW would only be from 5 or 6pm to 10pm. Now, what timezone should that be?

Sounds pathetic. Quit crying cause you lose due to coverage.

Night protection

in WvW

selan.8354

Well tough, go play on your own servers :-)

Moron, they don’t have their own oceanic servers.

Shutting down at night not only hurts oceanic, but it also hurts NA people who work late, and have to play over night.

Also, if we shutdown night, then we might as well shutdown daytime contribution as well, because people have jobs, and school. So, basically, WvW would only be from 5 or 6pm to 10pm. Now, what timezone should that be?

Sounds pathetic. Quit crying cause you lose due to coverage.

agreed. for all those crying over coverage problems and want night protection. sry but rvr is not for u them. rvr is 24/7!

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Night protection

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Anyhow, as soon as EOTM comes out the cries for Night protection will be over.

All that currently play WvW for the fights and not for “PvD for the glory of your server” will go directly to EOTM (as they resigned long ago to let their server look good against PvD) and only the PvD-fans will be left alone in WvW.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

Other way of thinking might be that server points stop counting if there isnt anybody against you -> you could still cap, but the match would still be more even. Most of karmatrain-pvd people dont even care the score, so it would not be so bad. Problem is how to balance it.

This is probably the only rational solution I have seen posted about this topic in over twelve months (“This” being the quote above, not the OP of thread).

That being said, I’ve never seen an issue with 24/7 WvW personally (I’m Oceanic/AU) my server is able to queue one map from about midnight-6am PST and we are generally fighting servers that are able to queue all four during that time. The main problem I see is that the rankings of the servers keep getting mixed up. It’s happened three times now and it always happens just when things start to settle into place.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

While you sleep you get night protection.
That would mean they get night protection also.
In the end, there would be very, very little time to cap anything.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Okay, so because you’d potentially have to move to EU servers to play WvW with some actual people instead of empty servers this idea is no good?

We’re trying to figure out a way to solve a hugely demotivating problem which impacts all servers in WvW and this is what stops it for you? Try to be a bit more constructive and imaginative :-)

If we could get ArenaNet to realize this is a huge problem for people we may even get a world transfer for free to better fit your time zone.

I personally wouldn’t like just playing WvW during night when most people logged off anyway.

(example only) Just because it’s 5pm in your local area doesn’t mean it’s 5pm for everyone else around the world.

You say go to EU servers, but what if the ping or FPS on those servers is unplayable? Talking from an Aussies point of view that is, are you saying that guild wars 2 should be restricted to Americans and Euros only?

What about the people in the Philippines?

Would it be fair to have night protection for Aussies too? Essentially closing down WvW for american prime time?

While yes it’s frustrating to lose towers because you have a lack of defenders on at that time, the other servers are in the same boat aswell. (lacking “prime time” during another servers prime time)

My personal opinion about leagues: Would have been awsome if they locked transfers between the time of announcement and 1st day of leagues starting, would have stopped a lot of guilds transferring/stacking to the top of spectrum per league.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Sorry but it’s the mists war. If night capping gives your army an advantage, then it’s a valid tactic. Deal with it.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: dragonrage.8921

dragonrage.8921

To be honest WVWVW is a 24/7 event it doesn’t shut down during the non prime time of any server, simply put that’s how its designed to work. The suggestion to put servers in 3? brackets based on coverage isn’t a bad one but would require a lot of resources and time on ANETs part. Would it help, yes but night capping would still happen based on coverage point blank. Some things will always happen based on the current match up and servers paired together for the week, its just how this type of server matching works.

As for transferring to a server that is in based on the usual times you actively play is a valid means. After all being on a server that is dead when your on isn’t that fun to a lot of people. The problem comes with the bandwagoneers that constantly shift servers to simply be winners by default only to transfer off when that server starts loosing. This artificially inflates servers that realistically should not be in that slot in WVWVW. This in turn destabilizes WVWVW as a whole. Can ANET really do a whole lot about this? not really if they want to make money on server transfers they have to allow for a some things that wouldn’t normally be fair. That being said transferring to a server that shares ones interests and active times can be rewarding for everyone. So long as its done for the proper reasons not just to be on the winning side there’s no problem with it.

(edited by dragonrage.8921)

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP: You act as if overall score really matters. Just find a server where the fights are competitive at the time you play. Beyond that, who cares?

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

More self-entitled people thinking only their timezone matters. People can play and get ppt whenever they darn well want to, thank you very much.

Point balancing is something that should be worked on, but outright blocking access to the game by timezone is rubbish.

Does. Not. Compute.

Where is there in the world that can’t play if the servers become locked to a 16 hour shift?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Night protection

in WvW

Dayra.7405

@OP: You act as if overall score really matters. Just find a server where the fights are competitive at the time you play. Beyond that, who cares?

You were right as long as we only had the ranking, but now with the league and server-performance based rewards, you are wrong.

It will end in: all that care about points stack on the same 2-3 server and all that do not care go to directly to EOTM and ignore WvW.

And as said above, you do not have to hinder anyone going to wvw at any time, it’s enough to separate and switch matches between the different time-slices https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Night-protection-1/3281118, i.e. you replace the prime-match with the night-match at midnight, and you replace the night-match with the day-match at sunrise and you replace the day with the prime match in the early evening.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

Lol GW2 is a game…so many too serious about this coverage thing.
There are other time zones apart from NA and EU (yes shock horror) but there isn’t qq from the other time zones about “night capping”.
I prefer field fights myself, some matchups it doesn’t happen, so I don’t do wvw that week..so what not gonna cry about it.
Is everyone so hung up on the new “shinies” for server placings?? Skritt for brains!
Chill out and play what you like, leave what you don’t like.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Ikaros.7219

Ikaros.7219

Not going to happen. Transfer or well… tough

I love how some peoples possible solutions seem to be transfer.. I mean isn’t that why BG is in the situation that its in now? Transferring isn’t gonna solve anything….

“Raw overwhelming power. He who has it, rules. He who doesn’t, begs.”

Night protection

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Here another proposal to nerf the overly decisive effect of night-capping:

Garrision
====

The general requirement is: it needs X player (sum all sides) on a map to maximally score X points (per side) on that map. No player on a map no score.

On each map the total number of players (of all three sides) is tracked.
On each tick the mean (if you enter or leave map and are 7.5min on the map you count 0.5) no of people of all sides, that got or made damage to/from players/NPCs (not fauna) during that time (i.e. were not AFK the whole tick) is used as point-cap for each side of this map.
If each side has 100 ppl on the map you have a cap of 300, which is above any maps possible tick.

Things looks different in off-time. If no one is on a map no one can get a point there.
If there are 100-30-30 the cap would be 160 for each side.

A large zerg jumping between maps capturing everything isn’t any longer the best tactic I guess, it leaves no one on the captured maps to score points, and if it jumps to a map where only the enemies have objectives, it first boosts the enemy score from that map till the zerg captures as many points as he has members.

If only one side is active and controls objective 695:0:0 and fields 100 per map (I think the max is somewhere around this number) it scores 400:0:0pts per tick, so boycott does not bring you anywhere.

However if you control 695:0:0 and go to “bed after work” you stop scoring as well.

A side with more coverage and equal quality in prime will continue winning, however a side with high coverage, but low quality forces will have it harder.

Even if off-time most often will bring a lower score with this method than it does now, there is definitely no discrimination of off-time players. Every player active in WvW at any time worth 1 point scoring potential. You of course have to control objectives to turn this potential into score. In fact prime-time players are still a bit underrated as the max number of player is around 1200 player max object is only 695, i.e. they will never be able to reach their potential. So giving each player only 0.5 points scoring potential would be even more fair.

You may remember Devon Carver blog at june 5, on the Future of WvW:
“Right now our game rewards you for holding an objective, not necessarily for taking it, and overwhelmingly favors the last server to log out for the day. We have some ideas in the pipeline to try to increase scoring when people are playing the game and to make it much more difficult to keep your territory without actively guarding it.”
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/devon-carver-on-the-future-of-world-vs-world/

A pitty that never happen anything following these words. I think this proposal fits his words better than the current state.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Mengelstad.6591

Mengelstad.6591

Rather then blanket night protection why not weigh off peak times differently? If it’s an NA server select an 8 hour block where PPT is calculated at full value. Off peak times cut that value in half, or whatever ratio seems appropriate. That way your off hours coverage team still is contributing to the servers success but not disproportionately.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Does. Not. Compute.

Where is there in the world that can’t play if the servers become locked to a 16 hour shift?

If NA servers are locked between say, 2am-8am server time, then a lot of Australian, New Zealander and South East Asians are locked out of WvW because that’s our prime time. We can’t play EU either because of latency issues. Deal with it.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: ptitminou.6489

ptitminou.6489

Here another proposal to nerf the overly decisive effect of night-capping:

Garrision
====

The general requirement is: it needs X player (sum all sides) on a map to maximally score X points (per side) on that map. No player on a map no score.

On each map the total number of players (of all three sides) is tracked.
On each tick the mean (if you enter or leave map and are 7.5min on the map you count 0.5) no of people of all sides, that got or made damage to/from players/NPCs (not fauna) during that time (i.e. were not AFK the whole tick) is used as point-cap for each side of this map.
If each side has 100 ppl on the map you have a cap of 300, which is above any maps possible tick.

Things looks different in off-time. If no one is on a map no one can get a point there.
If there are 100-30-30 the cap would be 160 for each side.

A large zerg jumping between maps capturing everything isn’t any longer the best tactic I guess, it leaves no one on the captured maps to score points, and if it jumps to a map where only the enemies have objectives, it first boosts the enemy score from that map till the zerg captures as many points as he has members.

If only one side is active and controls objective 695:0:0 and fields 100 per map (I think the max is somewhere around this number) it scores 400:0:0pts per tick, so boycott does not bring you anywhere.

However if you control 695:0:0 and go to “bed after work” you stop scoring as well.

A side with more coverage and equal quality in prime will continue winning, however a side with high coverage, but low quality forces will have it harder.

Even if off-time most often will bring a lower score with this method than it does now, there is definitely no discrimination of off-time players. Every player active in WvW at any time worth 1 point scoring potential. You of course have to control objectives to turn this potential into score. In fact prime-time players are still a bit underrated as the max number of player is around 1200 player max object is only 695, i.e. they will never be able to reach their potential. So giving each player only 0.5 points scoring potential would be even more fair.

You may remember Devon Carver blog at june 5, on the Future of WvW:
“Right now our game rewards you for holding an objective, not necessarily for taking it, and overwhelmingly favors the last server to log out for the day. We have some ideas in the pipeline to try to increase scoring when people are playing the game and to make it much more difficult to keep your territory without actively guarding it.”
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/devon-carver-on-the-future-of-world-vs-world/

A pitty that never happen anything following these words. I think this proposal fits his words better than the current state.

Or just remove WvW from the game.
You realize that a game has to be fun, right? It’s a game.

“Oh [xxxx] is in our BL, lets just move to theirs so they get bored and quit playing” or even

“ITS 2 AM EVERYONE GET OUT OF WVW TO MAKE SURE THEY CANT SCORE POINTS” and it is foolish to think that serious guilds wont do it. Only the pugs will remain in EBG. Everyone else will leave because good guilds play for the win."

Basically, your idea can be gamed it’ll just change the problem, but there will still be a problem.

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten
Because censorship is the most important part of the MMO business.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: caljay.8720

caljay.8720

Rather then blanket night protection why not weigh off peak times differently? If it’s an NA server select an 8 hour block where PPT is calculated at full value. Off peak times cut that value in half, or whatever ratio seems appropriate. That way your off hours coverage team still is contributing to the servers success but not disproportionately.

Personally, I dont agree with this. Basically what you are saying is that we are less important than NA, and on a server where our off hour is our best time of day, primetime for the server, we cant gain points like the rest can. I’m not trying to be negative, but whatever is done needs to be done across the board and the same for all timezones

[eN] Entröpy – Guild Leader/Driver
[oT] Ominous Threat – Reform hype inc?
OCX Rallybot

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

There are 2 things that can happen here..

A) The players can stick to their own time zones. You live in North America, you play in North America. You live in Europe, play in Europe. You play in another country, you play on the server closest to you time zone. If the players don’t do it, Anet can simply move players back to their respective time zones.

B) Turn off the PPT at night. Despite what you may think that your time is not as valuable if you don’t have PPT; the single most important thing you can do during SEA times is prevent your stuff from being taken over. Im sure the players who come to replace you in the morning, as well as, the rest of the server will thank you. If you wan’t your time to be more valuable during PPT times, play on a time zone where PPT is active.

It’s like some people need some hand holding.. oh no.. the PPT is not active.. im not as valuable. Simple solution, move to another server, done. If your schedule keeps you awake during the night, move to overseas server, done.

Night protection

in WvW

Dayra.7405

“ITS 2 AM EVERYONE GET OUT OF WVW TO MAKE SURE THEY CANT SCORE POINTS” and it is foolish to think that serious guilds wont do it. Only the pugs will remain in EBG. Everyone else will leave because good guilds play for the win."

The side with the objectives should stay, and if they do they get a point for any player they can motivate to stay.

But yes the goal is: 50 players should not be able to score 695 pts just by PvD, choosing a time where the enemy sleeps as their play-time, and by that dominating the effort of the 1200 people fighting at prime-time. Still they can turn the map to their color, giving them an advantage, still they score for their 50 people, still they can play the full game without any restriction, but this no longer dominates the match. And this is the intention of this proposal.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

ITT: if your personal primetime is different to the server primetime you’re violating my game mode.

It doesn’t matter how you brutalise the scoring system because wvw will always be decided by overall coverage. Additionally, everyone that cares about ppt more than pvp is in t1, which has 24/7 coverage anyway.

Night protection

in WvW

selan.8354

There are 2 things that can happen here..

A) The players can stick to their own time zones. You live in North America, you play in North America. You live in Europe, play in Europe. You play in another country, you play on the server closest to you time zone. If the players don’t do it, Anet can simply move players back to their respective time zones.

B) Turn off the PPT at night. Despite what you may think that your time is not as valuable if you don’t have PPT; the single most important thing you can do during SEA times is prevent your stuff from being taken over. Im sure the players who come to replace you in the morning, as well as, the rest of the server will thank you. If you wan’t your time to be more valuable during PPT times, play on a time zone where PPT is active.

It’s like some people need some hand holding.. oh no.. the PPT is not active.. im not as valuable. Simple solution, move to another server, done. If your schedule keeps you awake during the night, move to overseas server, done.

and this is exactly ridiculous! my whole guild is australian but i live in the us. so i could never play with them because of qq? just no! these 2 solutions are beyond unfair for me either way. 1 will separate me from my guild and 2 would prevent me from playing the game during my time after work. i work till 2am so no na prime for me!
your solutions are selfish and only convinient for you, but u forget that other people play different times and with different people form different countries!
and no im not gonna play in eu ever!
and your solution to move servers is terrible too. i started on my server and love my community and only because u get night capped u wanna take that away from others?
u make it sound like we are night capping on purpose. wvw is a 24/7 game mode. u dont like it, how about u move servers then?instead of trying to force everyone else. if this was implemented i would quit the game as i only play wvw and i like playing with my guild and be able to get ppt while doing so.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: andytango.2950

andytango.2950

This is actually not such a difficult problem to fairly address for everyone involved. They can scale the PPT pool to the population of either WvW players in total at any given moment in time or to the population of the WvW players on the least populated server depending on Arenanet’s adopted policy. The first option still gives significant advantages to coverage whereas the second option give much less. In any case, all players are still important and the PPT more accurately reflects the skill and performance of all participants.

That is, when all servers are queued, PPT will run as it does normally. When the lowest populated server (at the time) is only half populated the PPT tick is halved in magnitude. The servers with better coverage still have an advantage but it lessens the impact of coverage compared with performance. The PPT pool can be updated at the same time as PPT ticks are updated but is set in advance for the next tick period. Further, it doesn’t completely allow servers to deliberately tank their performance to affect the PPT pool and I think this system should be allowed the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise a floating average figure of a set time interval (e.g. 1 hour) can be used to smooth population fluctuations.

Having any absolutes or arbitrary caps has too many artificially set conditions. This system is more natural and is a softer intervention to a system that isn’t as bad as the forum warriors pretend it is.

(edited by andytango.2950)

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Mengelstad.6591

Mengelstad.6591

Personally, I dont agree with this. Basically what you are saying is that we are less important than NA, and on a server where our off hour is our best time of day, primetime for the server, we cant gain points like the rest can. I’m not trying to be negative, but whatever is done needs to be done across the board and the same for all timezones

You may be looking at this in the wrong way. Currently the system favors your time zone over NA time zone on an NA server. At NA prime time most servers are pretty competitive but once that ends there are wild point swings based on which server has a few active off hours guilds. In T1 it’s not that easy to gain a 200 ppt lead over the other servers at prime time yet it happens all the time off hours and often alot more then 200 ppt.

All NA server winners are determined by off hours coverage because the gap during those hours is so great that no matter how dominant they are during prime time (you know the time where there is actual competition) they can never catch up.

Night protection

in WvW

Posted by: Laundry.5120

Laundry.5120

Other way of thinking might be that server points stop counting if there isnt anybody against you -> you could still cap, but the match would still be more even. Most of karmatrain-pvd people dont even care the score, so it would not be so bad. Problem is how to balance it.

I can’t think of a rebuttal to this argument other than guilds gaming the system, which Anet can then crack down on if it’s widespread (similar to bots).

Though there should be a cap of the population somehow, if there’d be a map with 60 people vs. no defenders, the 60 should gain no PPT from objectives. The only obstacle then would be how to gauge what a “fight” is, vs. arbitrarily counting population every x minutes.

Lavanderie – 80 Mesmer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Electrique – 80 Engineer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall