No Gliding in WvW Because Pay2Win cries?

in WvW

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

So because no fly zones are a thing, we can safely say that gliding in WvW is very definitely possible maybe. Realistic or not (put some sniper turrets on walls for realism, there ya go), no fly zones are the easiest and fastest way to bring gliding to WvW.

Real problem is… people without Heart of Thorns will cry PAY2WIN.
http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/36989122?t=14m28s

I suppose it’s fairly obvious. So he’s not really telling us something we don’t know.

Here’s my argument: If they aren’t willing to buy Heart of Thorns… who cares if they cry? They aren’t spending any money. If they are spending money, then they can buy Heart of Thorns. Therefore, the only ones who will cry PAY2WIN are the ones who don’t spend anything anyway.

Another argument. Okay, you bought the regular version of the game. Gliding gets added. You magically can’t afford Heart of Thorns somehow. What do you lose? You were happy with what you bought in the regular version – they didn’t take anything away from you by adding gliding to WvW. The only thing gliding does in WvW is allow you to glide over someone and land on them to begin combat or to get out of combat by gliding.

How is that pay2win? Because you can’t run away by gliding? You can’t traverse faster? You can’t divebomb players?

Here’s a secret. When an opponent is gliding, they can’t hit you. Use your eyes and spot someone gliding. Kill them by pew pewing them while they’re gliding or have your skills ready for when they land. You have the advantage if you spot them first.

Ballistas. Use a ballista and annihilate them from the sky. Ballistas will finally be amazing.

REVENANTS
Revenants are in WvW. Therefore, pay2win, right?

No, not really. You (balance issues aside) can kill people on any class. That is literally the ultimate goal of all combat modes in GW2 – you need to kill the opponent. You can kill people by playing revenants or you can do it on a warrior, a guardian, etc.

Gliding is not a pay2win feature. It simply gives you another means of combating opponents the same way playing a revenant gives you another means of combating opponents.

FOOD BUFFS
With Heart of Thorns I can and do use Bowl of Lemongrass Mussel Pasta which gives me +10% damage reduction.

Pay2win amirite? No. There are other food items out there. This is simply variety.

So you can’t glide? Then jump off the cliff and fall on your nose. Too high to fall? USE YOUR FALL DAMAGE TRAIT then. There is also a rune that lets you fall even further.

Too high for you to jump and the opponent ran away with gliding? How is that pay2win?YOU are the one who kitten won because HE ran away. Thieves can runaway too.

Gliding is simply variety – not pay2win.

PUG COMMANDERS

Believe it or not, the sandbox features of WvW have created pretty friendly commanders. Pug Commanders will not glide across obstacles if their whole pug zerg doesn’t have gliding because losing half of your zerg is very bad. That defeats the purpose of being a pug commander. A pug commander will use the normal way of traversing even if they themselves can glide.

(edited by Zefrost.3425)

in WvW

Zefrost.3425

Alternative to crying?

WvW Gliding Mastery

Solved.

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The map design doesn’t support it. Maps would need to be completely re-designed or there would need to be really finnicky no-fly-zones. As it is, we already have druids using the staff to fly into keeps off of cliffs, skipping the entire siege process.

I’d rather they fix core issues with WvW first, and potentially revert the BL’s to alpine, fix the game balance, and then maybe work on random QoL gliding changes for WvW.

Much like the revenant complaints, It’s not about P2W, it’s just the fact the concept of gliding in WvW would completely trivialize a majority of the content. Revs are just blatantly overpowered in blob fights and people are upset; the same goes regarding banners, too; the format is being trivialized, HoT content or not.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in WvW

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

John Corpening didn’t rule out gliding in WvW in the Guild Chat interview, he simply said they had other priorities to fix first… and I agree with this. I’ll take my icing after the cake is baked properly.

However he didn’t then go on to mention these other priorities are the overly complex maps and a falling player population so who knows what will happen.

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Your arguments aren’t very strong. Exclusive gliding would be p2w since it’s a mechanic that gives you an insane tactival advantage.

Is revenant p2w? No, because it doesn’t add anything new. It’s just the old things smashed together differently. Everything a revenant can do you could do on other classes as well (Not talking about specific balance issues)

Is the bufffood p2w? Yes, technically it is. It gives you an insane advantage over someone who doesn’t have hot. I mean we are talking 10% less damage. The only reason it doesn’t have a big impact is because crafting costs are so high that very few people actually use it and that very few people play on a level where this is the deciding factor before any communication, timing, skill, movement issues.

Another thing that I still consider p2w: shield generators. Their mechanics have huge impact on fights. But since everyone around you can place them it’s not that much of a deal for the individual not having hot.

In difference to all of the above not having gliding would give you a very noticable disadvantage. WvW is a team game afterall. You don’t have a rev? Fine but you can still help your group with a necro or whatever. You can’t use shield generators? Well someone on your team can. You don’t have the op food? Well it surely won’t make that much of a difference. You wanna follow your team over the cliff? Weeeell…I’ll be there in 2 minutes because I have to take the long way and will most likely be killed by some random roamers on the way. GG.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Here’s my argument: If they aren’t willing to buy Heart of Thorns… who cares if they cry?

Genius!

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

The map design doesn’t support it. Maps would need to be completely re-designed or there would need to be really finnicky no-fly-zones. As it is, we already have druids using the staff to fly into keeps off of cliffs, skipping the entire siege process.

I’d rather they fix core issues with WvW first, and potentially revert the BL’s to alpine, fix the game balance, and then maybe work on random QoL gliding changes for WvW.

Much like the revenant complaints, It’s not about P2W, it’s just the fact the concept of gliding in WvW would completely trivialize a majority of the content. Revs are just blatantly overpowered in blob fights and people are upset; the same goes regarding banners, too; the format is being trivialized, HoT content or not.

^DeceiverX.8361 <—— What he says.

Glidding in WvW could be a thing with prepared maps for those who like it, altough verticality needs to be added (the irony), if WvW was a continent it was easy to add and remove maps to test this.

Hummm tree of life castle???

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Would it be so bad if non-HoT players had access to gliding in WvW? I have HoT and it wouldn’t bother me at all if it meant I could freely glide. For non-Hot players just add a vendor that sells a temporary glider for badges of honor.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

If I have to PvE to unlock gliding in WvW, then that’s the final straw for WvW for me.
I’m already having a hard time finding fun with so many engagements being “Full Elite” vs “30 point Elite”.

The new map is awful, but I could see myself using it just for gliding purposes.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

New map looked like they designed it with gliding in mind, then didn’t or couldn’t be bothered to put in the necessary defences to deal with gliders to stop them dropping in to keeps, etc and so in the end the map was rushed out without gliding (or auto looting…) enabled and greeted with less than sterling reviews.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Just think how this would all be different if they had prioritized WvW over raids. They’d have so many more players. The player base would have grown instead of tanking. Such a sadly squandered opportunity.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

in WvW

Posted by: EPYON.2731

EPYON.2731

I will cry it, because it must be very hard to defense the keep and siege becomes the trash.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Would it be so bad if non-HoT players had access to gliding in WvW? I have HoT and it wouldn’t bother me at all if it meant I could freely glide. For non-Hot players just add a vendor that sells a temporary glider for badges of honor.

If gliding exists, it must apply to all players, as that is a very huge deviation to gameplay.

Forget gliding though. I think autoloot needs to be on by default.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Do you realize how much work it would take to properly implement gliding on maps not designed for gliding?

Do you realize how much work Anet puts into WvW?

Put these two together and you must realize that if they do put gliding into WvW, it’ll be hastily done and botched.

Besides, GW2 is already P2W. You think Anet’s afraid of making it a bit more so?

in WvW

Zefrost.3425

Do you realize how much work Anet puts into WvW?

Ya none.

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

I agree with you on most of this. The core issues need to be addressed first before anything new is added, but as far as the map design not supporting it or needing redone…That’s pretty much one of the issues players have complained about. The map didn’t go over well with the WvW community, and its probably already looking at a re-work. Also there is no reason why free to players couldn’t have gliding in the WvW map. Its not like they would be handing them out a free HOT expansion…and maybe that little nibble might encourage more to buy the expansion?

(edited by Kamara.4187)