No confidence in coming Overhaul

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

I believe I have finally resigned myself to accepting that whatever the “Overhaul” is, when it arrives it will not be something that saves the game mode for me personally. The long lag time in development, the Anet collect some info, hide in an closet for 2 years, then release content has been repeatedly essentially destroying the game mode I like and want to play in WvW. I think this post sort of inadvertently encapsulates why I feel that way.

We’ve avoided adding this feature because we don’t believe it would be healthy for WvW. While we can appreciate why some players would want a feature like this, lots of other players only engage in WvW when, upon entering a WvW map, immediately see a commander icon to follow. We try and avoid adding features that can be used to intentionally exclude other players.

On the surface, it’s very reasonable. But I think for anyone in a WvW oriented guild, who has spent time playing WvW over the last few years, the fundamental lack of understanding of how WvW is played is pretty clear. I don’t fault Tyler for this perspective, we already know from the “Adopt a dev” program that none of the “dev team” sees WvW as their primary game mode (Mike O’Brien’s comments not withstanding). The idea that a “guild or squad only” visible commander tags would actually be “unhealthy” for the game mode, when a huge percentage of guilds have essentially doing just that by going tagless seems to painfully highlight just how little Anet understands about the health of WvW or how a thriving competitive server (are there any these days?) operates.
GW2 is PvE first and foremost. Every “upgrade” we have gotten has been created from a PvE perspective. If you thought over the last year that the few threads started by John Corpening represented a shift in the way the devs see WvW, I would suggest that Tyler’s comment shows otherwise. The PvE perspective is stronlgy in place. Buckle your seatbelts I believe more turbulence is on the horizon….

in WvW

Posted by: QQing.3089

QQing.3089

Agreed. None of my friends even log in anymore

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Its always gonna be anets goals for wvw vs everyones individual view. Regarding that particular quote about hiding commander tags, I can understand both sides so I dont really come down in favor or against it, because both sides have very valid points. Its just one of those things where they are kitten ed if they do, kitten ed if they dont.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

At the least, Tyler shed some light on the darkness of what is considered “healthy” and on the darkness of what is considered “intentionlly exclude players”.

^Yes, at this point they’re definitely kitten’d if they do, kitten’d if they don’t.

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

in WvW

Posted by: Over.2137

Over.2137

Even if the overhaul will be somehow half decent I highly doubt people are willing to go back to WvW.
My prediction: it will attract some old and new player for a little bit before completly fallin into oblivion.

in WvW

X T D.6458

At the least, Tyler shed some light on the darkness of what is considered “healthy” and on the darkness of what is considered “intentionlly exclude players”.

^Yes, at this point they’re definitely kitten’d if they do, kitten’d if they don’t.

There was a lot of signs that they were trying to make wvw more inclusive and welcoming to players (in their minds ofc), remember the reset move debacle and all the talk about metrics and how more people would play on sat etc etc.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Given Anet’s history with WvW — especially recent history — why would you have confidence in the overhaul?

It just boggles the mind that there are people who still think “this time they’ll get it right.” If someone at work constantly and consistently failed at his job, would your boss say, “he failed over and over and over again, never learning from his mistakes, but this time, he’ll get it right.”

in WvW

X T D.6458

Given Anet’s history with WvW — especially recent history — why would you have confidence in the overhaul?

It just boggles the mind that there are people who still think “this time they’ll get it right.” If someone at work constantly and consistently failed at his job, would your boss say, “he failed over and over and over again, never learning from his mistakes, but this time, he’ll get it right.”

Im more afraid of what they are planning tbh

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I would have faith if I had not lived through the last 2 years. TBH if they want the player base to start feeling as though WvW 2.0 has a chance they need to start giving us reason to think so. I know their vision of WvW is far different than our own, but so long as they remain quiet on all the “proposed” changes and keep us in the dark without our input, the less likely that we will enjoy what we are fed.

I just want to be a part of the discussion myself (another CDI?), even if all my suggestions might be considered garbage by other posters, at very least I would feel heard.

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

Im more afraid of what they are planning tbh

I guess if you still want WvW to make a comeback, you should be very afraid.

I’m just rubbernecking a horrible accident at this point. Golem Week, arial bombardment and dragon banner, what exciting features will come next!? I can’t wait to see.

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

You’re right that history certainly should diminish confidence.

However, we can still cross our fingers and hope for the best.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

We are down to a handful of players and only a few of us bought HoT when it came out. Sadly the 3-4 remaining are here because there really isn’t anything better on the market currently.

Several other games we have been playing for years tends to bring us back when new content arrives. Unfortunately several of my crew simply say they are “done” with GW2. I think the boring PvE and relatively stale WvW finally ran them off.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Don’t worry , Anet wont cease to amaze “us” with stupid decisions. They have proven this in the past a lot.

Edit: A bit OT but where are the legendary white knights these days? I dont think i have to mention names.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Zynt.5769

Zynt.5769

WvW is literally a ghost town. It’s gotten quieter over the weeks, to the point where it’s just empty. It’s so disappointing, because WvW was the thing I was wanting to do most in GW2.

The PvE gets stale after you get lvl 80, finish the story and do the lvl 80 zones a few times. sPvP, well I don’t think I need to even mention anything about that. The PvP forum is all you need to look at there.

I just logged out after running around EB for a bit. There was about 3 other players that I saw in Map Chat. I hate to say it, but there’s little reason for me to play the game any more. WvW doesen’t seem to be an option in the game, as there’s no players there to actually make the mode work.

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

Its always gonna be anets goals for wvw vs everyones individual view. Regarding that particular quote about hiding commander tags, I can understand both sides so I dont really come down in favor or against it, because both sides have very valid points. Its just one of those things where they are kitten ed if they do, kitten ed if they dont.

What exactly is the developers’ point that you agree with?

No pugmander would hide the tag because they always need more people on them, not less.

The only difference between there being only one tag on the map and it’s a guild raid, and no tags at all, is that in the aforementioned scenario the pug gets told he can go kitten himself when he tries to latch onto the raid.

People who would hide tag don’t suddenly want to include you in their raid simply because they have no option to hide it.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

There was a lot of signs that they were trying to make wvw more inclusive and welcoming to players (in their minds ofc), remember the reset move debacle and all the talk about metrics and how more people would play on sat etc etc.

It would probably help if they implemented big changes temporarily if blind metrics are all they are gonna go by. Then there is no shame in resetting things back to the way they were when they realize the metrics were slightly…….wayyy off.
When you own a business you never never never shaft your loyal, old patients (customers) for the sake of getting more more more. They are the ones that keep the lights on while the new put the food on the table.

in WvW

Fellfoot.8156

It would probably help if they implemented big changes temporarily if blind metrics are all they are gonna go by. Then there is no shame in resetting things back to the way they were when they realize the metrics were slightly…….wayyy off.
When you own a business you never never never shaft your loyal, old patients (customers) for the sake of getting more more more. They are the ones that keep the lights on while the new put the food on the table.

That sounds like beta testing in the actual live game. I would totally support that. Shut down WvW and let all of us play test the overhaul content week by week. Would that be unprecedented?

Headlines : “ArenaNet to bring open beta testing of major game mode.”

Edit: It’d be a lot more productive than those new DBL streamer test PR stunts.
Edit2: I’ve been helping to keep their lights on for years.

(edited by Fellfoot.8156)

in WvW

X T D.6458

What exactly is the developers’ point that you agree with?

No pugmander would hide the tag because they always need more people on them, not less.

The only difference between there being only one tag on the map and it’s a guild raid, and no tags at all, is that in the aforementioned scenario the pug gets told he can go kitten himself when he tries to latch onto the raid.

People who would hide tag don’t suddenly want to include you in their raid simply because they have no option to hide it.

Didn’t say I agree with it, I said I understand both sides, because I have experience as a solo player/pug with and w/o ts looking for a tag/group to run with and as someone who runs with a guild. I’ve run in closed raids, I’ve run in open raids, my guild usually runs open raids, but I also remember what it was like being a solo player and hopping maps till I found someone tagged up.

in WvW

X T D.6458

I agree about having test runs for big changes, especially since they big update is being pushed back to who knows when. I posted several times that the rez changes need to be tested out first, and player feedback and concerns taken into consideration before its fully implemented. Just tossing out a giant update with untested features…well we’ve been down that road before…

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

Don’t worry , Anet wont cease to amaze “us” with stupid decisions. They have proven this in the past a lot.

Edit: A bit OT but where are the legendary white knights these days? I dont think i have to mention names.

Obviously, they’re having so much fun in the new BLs that they don’t have time to post.

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

WvW is literally a ghost town. It’s gotten quieter over the weeks, to the point where it’s just empty. It’s so disappointing, because WvW was the thing I was wanting to do most in GW2.

The PvE gets stale after you get lvl 80, finish the story and do the lvl 80 zones a few times. sPvP, well I don’t think I need to even mention anything about that. The PvP forum is all you need to look at there.

I just logged out after running around EB for a bit. There was about 3 other players that I saw in Map Chat. I hate to say it, but there’s little reason for me to play the game any more. WvW doesen’t seem to be an option in the game, as there’s no players there to actually make the mode work.

What you want you might just get if you transfer. Your statement I could see when servers were locked being an issue but now that every server is open there is nothing stopping you from moving to a more populated server besides farming gold in pve..

I just don’t get why the first option is always to not play because nobody else is playing when you can transfer first and see that people actually do still play. There has to be other issues you have with the game if the reason you are not playing is because maps are empty..

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

He shed some light on how out of touch they are. So why should the overhaul be any different.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

WvW originally was about groups of players fighting each other over territory, using character skills and siege weapons All the other kittening kittened kitten kitten PvE and gimmics they’ve thoughtlessly spammed into it is the real problem. They’ve taken a massive dump in their own food bowl.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

in WvW

Fellfoot.8156

He shed some light on how out of touch they are. So why should the overhaul be any different.

Yes indeed. I’m almost dreading what the overhaul will include. Having to wait and wait on what it will include is equally dreadful. I wish they’d hurry up and announce the beta testing for the new WvW format already. I’m sick and tired of waiting. At least then I’d know if I’m wasting my time with what ArenaNet has become.

in WvW

Posted by: StrykerMagnus.4120

StrykerMagnus.4120

In the last few days, I’ve spent a lot of time on other forums searching for another game to move to. In that time, it has been quite startling to see what the general mood is on the gw2 boards (here and reddit) in comparison to a plethora of other games. Hint: It’s not good. It has only reinforced my decision to look for a new game be it a mmorpg or something like Fallout 4 or Witcher 3.

I’d love for WvW to return to the fun it once was with the benefits of new goodies, but I cannot objectively trust that will happen. The saying goes the grass is always greener on the other side, but in this case, I don’t think there is any grass on this side of the (WvW) fence.

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Depends on the server and the tier you’re in,on FSP it can be quite busy still espec around prime but only on EB..Bl’s usually deserted still,people try the map plenty but no one really likes it so everyone hops to EB,e.g we had a 112 queu tonight..