No longer kicked for inactivity

in WvW

Posted by: AprilRain.7649

AprilRain.7649

If you use a utility skill or healing skill with auto cast, this allows one to not go inactive according to the server’s knowledge. However, is this considered an exploit or is it a legit way to prevent getting kicked for inactivity?

This basically allows one to stay in WvW as long as the server isn’t down, or otherwise not accessible. However with the amount of idling people increasing and queues getting longer.. Should this really be tolerated? Remaining idle in WvW will result in a weaker team, though you get the advantage of skipping queues that can sometimes be as lengthy as an hour; or worse.

There are pro’s and con’s to this. However does one outweigh the other? Or are these auto-casters selfish for not allowing others to play in their stead?

PS: Could/Should one get banned for avoiding the kick of inactivity?

(edited by AprilRain.7649)

in WvW

Posted by: Dragoon.9536

Dragoon.9536

the best way to counter this would have to be a Debuff Invisible one that is That at 30 min. If you havent moved in 30 min Forward only THat mean The W KEY ONLY.

This would Make them stand out because if they are W moving into a wall like a stupid AI would you can tell hes a toxic player.

I dont see any con to this because unless you are kitten and want to go backward all the time. Which i don’t see pro player doing that.

in WvW

Posted by: Criselli.7462

Criselli.7462

Even worse is idle people will remove the “outnumbered” buff even though you really would be outnumbered.

Aiyli 80 Necro, Aista & Criselli 80 Mesmers
Aîsta & Çriselli 80 engies, Zeira Blackstar 80 Grd Meloryn 80 Ran, Vexri Crisellista 80 War
Server: Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

this has been discussed before right ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Ketharius.9018

Ketharius.9018

the best way to counter this would have to be a Debuff Invisible one that is That at 30 min. If you havent moved in 30 min Forward only THat mean The W KEY ONLY.

This would Make them stand out because if they are W moving into a wall like a stupid AI would you can tell hes a toxic player.

I dont see any con to this because unless you are kitten and want to go backward all the time. Which i don’t see pro player doing that.

But I don’t have W or any key binded to moving forward, does this mean I’ll keep getting kicked? Think first.

(I move by holding both left+right click down and Autorun.)

Tarnished Coast
[FUNK] Squad

in WvW

Posted by: Atrophied.8725

Atrophied.8725

What if I’m on a treb/ac/ballista for 45 minutes-1 hour? I get kicked? Bad proposal is bad.

Xandra – 80s in all classes – Ele/Guard mains – [TL] – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

From what I can tell the game is very kind with the kicked for inactivity. I was in the bathroom for 6 minutes, came out, and came back to the computer without seeing a message warning me or anything. If you’re getting kicked for inactivity, then you’re truly inactive. It’s fine how it is right now.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

AprilRain.7649

What if I’m on a treb/ac/ballista for 45 minutes-1 hour? I get kicked? Bad proposal is bad.

You’d actually be contributing to the server’s effort to win in the week’s match. However idling for many a hour does not. Also I’m not proposing anything, which you’d have known had you taken the time to properly read the first post.

From what I can tell the game is very kind with the kicked for inactivity. I was in the bathroom for 6 minutes, came out, and came back to the computer without seeing a message warning me or anything. If you’re getting kicked for inactivity, then you’re truly inactive. It’s fine how it is right now.

The issue is that you can be inactive permanently with your heal skill on auto cast; thus the inactivity system is no longer effective at what it’s supposed to do: ie. to kick those who idle for too long.

(edited by AprilRain.7649)

in WvW

Posted by: manbearpig.8095

manbearpig.8095

actually it still works server actually whispers you a countdown form 1 min to 0sec every 5 sec when your about to go inactive so youl see that hop off cast another skill and good to go

kintai yuhara 80 necro [RE]

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

They can set the rule so that it doesn’t apply to auto casts. Press a skill button manually, or make any character movement and you’re “active”.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in WvW

AprilRain.7649

They can set the rule so that it doesn’t apply to auto casts. Press a skill button manually, or make any character movement and you’re “active”.

Theoretically they should be able to set an exception to auto cast skills, or manually activated skills. Only issue could be whether or not the current code allows for an expansion of that.

For instance changing siege weapons to go from soulbound to account bound sounds simple on paper, but from what I’ve gathered it’s not possible currently because of how the founding coding was set in stone. They might encounter a similar issue with this.

Hence me wondering whether or not it’s legit to prevent the inactivity kick from occuring by using auto cast skills.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Anet needs to fix this, and I believe if you are intentionally using this to prevent yourself from being afk kicked it counts as a reportable offense.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Its a function in the game, so its legit. They cant ban people for putting a skill on autocast.

They can however fix the kitten autokick function to take it into consideration.

in WvW

AprilRain.7649

A bunch of ways were previously available that allowed people to enter keeps, with walls and gates still intact. Was this a legit way to enter? No. Just because a bug or exploit managed to stay undiscovered, doesn’t mean it’s a legit thing to do.

Hence my doubts, heh. There’s a fine line between something innocent and something that could potentially ruin the fun for other players (In this case by forcing them to stay in a queue that potentially has no end).

in WvW

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

This is such a stupid topic.

If I want to go afk in WvW and browse forums for 30 minutes without logging out so I don’t lose my 25 stacks because I wanted a break I’m going to. If that means I have to tab in every 10 mins and take a step instead of auto-casting a heal then w/e.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in WvW

AprilRain.7649

So what you’re saying is “kitten everyone in the queue, I don’t care”, correct?

in WvW

Posted by: loseros.5912

loseros.5912

Correct, kitten the queues not the afk.

Asterilla
Ranger charr 80, Guardian asura 80

in WvW

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

So what you’re saying is “kitten everyone in the queue, I don’t care”, correct?

My server doesn’t have queues(ever), I purposely left the one I was on that did. Maybe you would relax and just enjoy the game if you did the same, rather then kitten and moan about what others want to do.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in WvW

Posted by: sdsakuragi.8170

sdsakuragi.8170

They just need to change autocast to not register as actual player input.

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

something like the queue would be useful if you’re contemplating this. If someone is idle/not moving from one area – a something like queue would ask to be clicked for the sake of not getting kicked out of wvw.

Ex. 15 minutes – person still at same area. something like drag this to the right or left to show you are not afk in wvw. it has a 30 second timer and repeats 3 x before kicking the player of wvw and back to character select screen.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

(edited by Sovereign.1093)

in WvW

Posted by: IsilZha.3608

IsilZha.3608

Autohotkey —> key press the skill button every time it’s off cool down (include some random offset of 1-20s after it’s off cool down to avoid looking too much like a bot.) Could even have it run back and forth a bit.

Insanely easy to do, could create the script from scratch in under a minute. It doesn’t involve hooking into the game whatsoever.

Sadly, if people really want to avoid being auto-kicked for inactivity, they’ll find a way around it. If we start going down the path of making really harsh auto-kicks for idling, it starts creating bigger problems by kicking people that are not actually idle.

“To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

They just need to change autocast to not register as actual player input.

If it’s that simple that’s a good idea.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

If we do this, then we need a way to vote people out of the BL.

I’d rather have an active member of a guild(one who uses server comms etc) take a 30 minute afk(and thus a q spot), than have someone in the JP wasting a q spot.

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

If we do this, then we need a way to vote people out of the BL.

I’d rather have an active member of a guild(one who uses server comms etc) take a 30 minute afk(and thus a q spot), than have someone in the JP wasting a q spot.

No. You open WvW up to trolling and attempts by some guilds to control the maps, kicking out people whenever they feel like it. Someone actively doing the jumping puzzle has far more rights to be there than someone that joined and went AFK for an extended period. If I need to AFK for anything remotely significant I’ll pop back to L.A. and take my chances with the queue when I get back.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

I would counter it by booting anyone who stays in the protected area for 15 minutes. Start warning them after 10 minutes. Even if they are crafting and shopping, crafting and shopping for an hour is functionally equivalent to being AFK and clogging up the queue.

You could still go out in the middle of nowhere and AFK up against a wall but eventually someone will find you and kill you and then you’ll end up booted. Can’t cast anything while dead and the idle timer will get you. (A sophisticated bot could respawn and run back outside and afk again but at least that’s well above what everyone with a Logitech keyboard can do with a macro that takes 5 seconds to setup.)

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

AprilRain.7649

The reason why people don’t wanna get kicked for inactivity is the long queues.. The fact that they themselves and people like them are causing the queues doesn’t even occur to them.

I myself have occasionally used the auto cast to idle when having to leave unexpectedly, whilst hoping to get back again after 15 to 20 minutes tops. However I’m at least aware of the situation.

People need to decide what’s more important to them; a shorter queue with more active people, or longer queues with people being useless to the team. Guess which one makes more sense to your allies who aren’t idling constantly.