Objective Claiming by ANeT - unprofessional

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Came across a fully upgraded Hills keep in Yak’s Bend BL today. And much to our surprise the ANeT tag was on it. And it is still claimed by ANeT. Last week we heard a rumor that the SOS server wanted ANeT to claim our Garrison to make a statement. How is this even remotely allowed?

1. ANeT is the administrator for this game.
2. Being an ANeT dev should be considered a privilege and it should not be used to favor any server.
3. ANeT claiming any objective in WvW shows favoritism.
4. Showing any favoritism of any kind to specific servers is extremely unprofessional.

Don’t give me the argument that they get to the play the game as well. Of course they can and should. But playing should be the end of it. Taking part in a servers claiming, which gives that server an advantage in the objective should not be allowed. Again, favoritism.

ANeT, please explain to those servers that don’t get your favor as to why this practice is being allowed.

Attachments:

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Anet plays WvW from time to time, it’s a good thing and not a bad thing.

We need them to play WvW to make relevant WvW fixes.

It’s also good to spike Anet tags.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I actually thought it was pretty funny when I saw all that guild siege. I guess they fit right in with YB— this really explains all the siege related polls. We’ve been calling it “Anet keep” and have aimed to take it down.

Look on the good side though. Their tactivators aren’t spawned from thin air…. they actually had to be gained in game so if people start griefing it, I imagine they’d take notice.

ANDDDDD arrow cart prices are rising again…. Right when I’m low on heroics.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Heibi.4251

Yes, play, but to claim for a server goes beyond fixing things.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Honestly, considering that most large guilds in this game already have all the WvW auras, I don’t see a problem. Even in my server who have lost several guilds we still have enough guilds to claim everything with all auras. What’s the problem of ArenaNet guild claim if it’s the same as pretty much every other guild? At best it’s a issue for the owners of the keep because people will want to take it down at all costs just like they would chase a Anet tagged player.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Heibi.4251

The problem is plain and simple. Favoritism. If you can’t see that a company who administrates the game should not play favorites you don’t understand what favoritism is.

ANeT, as stated is an admin guild. They have special privileges that normal player guilds don’t. They may have the same effect as a normal guild but it tells the other servers that ANeT favors the other server.

I come from a military background where I could not show favoritism due to my position. To do so would tell the other lower ranking people that I will chose someone over them. This is very similar. The ANeT devs represent the company. This means that if the claim an objective for a particular server they have chosen that server above the other servers. i.e. Favoritism. And unprofessional in the business world.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Yes, play, but to claim for a server goes beyond fixing things.

They don’t get any super magical powers that any other guild claiming a keep would get.

I don’t see the problem.

I agree with Seph, I’m happy to see them in game and active. I’d be happier if they spent more time in the lower tiers though. Top tiers don’t really give an accurate reflection of overall health.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

I’d have to agree with Heibi on this one; Playing the game is fine. But even being in their own guild rather than “incognito” is already bad enough. If they’re not going to spread equally across all servers they shouldn’t be flying their company colours.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

The problem is plain and simple. Favoritism. If you can’t see that a company who administrates the game should not play favorites you don’t understand what favoritism is.

ANeT, as stated is an admin guild. They have special privileges that normal player guilds don’t. They may have the same effect as a normal guild but it tells the other servers that ANeT favors the other server.

I come from a military background where I could not show favoritism due to my position. To do so would tell the other lower ranking people that I will chose someone over them. This is very similar. The ANeT devs represent the company. This means that if the claim an objective for a particular server they have chosen that server above the other servers. i.e. Favoritism. And unprofessional in the business world.

It would be favoritism if they were gaining some advantage, which they are not since any buff Anet guild can give, a player guild also can. And I’ve seen Anet claim objectives in several servers. Favoritism cannot be a general thing.

Also you talk about this being unprofessional in the business world, but this isn’t business my friend. Maybe it would be a problem in their e-sports spvp which have ESL and other championships, but WvW is just a part of their game which isn’t involved in any kind of external business. By the way you putting it, it means that if I do Forsaken Thicket with an Anet player it means my group is being favorited over others because we have a Anet tag on our raid while others do not.

Oh yeah, I said their game. They can do whatever they want and you don’t really have a say on it since you agreed with the EULA (you know, that huge wall of text you just scroll down and press “I accept”).

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

(edited by Jeknar.6184)

in WvW

Heibi.4251

But they aren’t equally distributing their favor upon all servers. If there was actually a policy to equalize claiming by ANeT it probably wouldn’t be a problem. And this would need to be a public policy.

Currently we get reports(we have people on other servers – spies if you would – who report this to us) like the SOS server wanting their ANeT dev to claim our Garrison to send a message. That is true unprofessional conduct and should not be allowed. It goes against their own policy of interfering with others enjoyment of the game.

I, an many others, desire a neutral stance by our administration based guild. That would be the professional way of handling this subject.

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The thing to ask is, does the Anet guild serve an official admin function in the game? I don’t think so. I am sure that some ANet personnel have admin privileges. I’m also certain they don’t need to be repping the Anet guild to use them. I also have little doubt that repping the ANet guild does not convey any special admin privileges in and of itself. If, as I expect, any Anet employee can be in that guild, they’d be silly to give in-game admin privileges to their HR person, or the janitor.

This would, if I am correct, mean that the Anet guild is a social unit. It can also be used to show paying players that a company employee is participating in the game, just as they are, but so what. As a social unit, it would seem to me that the guild ought to have the same privileges as any other guild, including WvW objective claiming.

It would seem to me that for any claim that the situation represents unprofessional behavior would need to show that membership in that guild conveys special privileges unavailable to regular players. By special privileges, I mean an ability to affect WvW in a way that “regular” guilds cannot. Though the OP is claiming that, I see no proof. Absent that proof, I don’t believe the claim is warranted.

in WvW

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

Came across a fully upgraded Hills keep in Yak’s Bend BL today. And much to our surprise the ANeT tag was on it. And it is still claimed by ANeT. Last week we heard a rumor that the SOS server wanted ANeT to claim our Garrison to make a statement. How is this even remotely allowed?

2. Being an ANeT dev should be considered a privilege and it should not be used to favor any server.
4. Showing any favoritism of any kind to specific servers is extremely unprofessional.

Don’t give me the argument that they get to the play the game as well. Of course they can and should. But playing should be the end of it. Taking part in a servers claiming, which gives that server an advantage in the objective should not be allowed. Again, favoritism.

ANeT, please explain to those servers that don’t get your favor as to why this practice is being allowed.

Seriously get off your entitled horse.

There are a lot of anet employees actually enjoy the game they make. They are people just like you and I. Yes they have an arena net guild. Yes they make and use siege just like any other player. It shows absolutely no favoritism as there are numerous employees on many different servers. In WvW running around with an anet tag or putting it on anything you might as well have painted bulls eye on it/them.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

in WvW

Heibi.4251

Entitled Horse? Where does that come from? ANeT is the admin for this game. I ask for nothing but equal treatment by the ANeT devs and company. How is that being on an Entitled Horse?
ANeT is a company and are suppose to treat all players equally. However, in WvW this does not seem to be the case. The player guilds are players who are not associated with a company and are subject to ANeT’s rules and judgements. Apparently ANeT is not subject to their own rules and play obvious favorites, such as Devs going along with requests from servers to make a statement by claiming another server’s Garrison.

So, no I’m not on an Entitlement Horse. I ask ANeT a simple question – What is your policy and why does it look like you are favoring some servers over others? Appearance is everything.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I’m pretty sure it’s a case of they picked a server to be on and just claimed it. How long they’ve been on the server I dunno, could be since launch, could be actively testing something in game and just moved there.

Either way get Kevin Bacon to dance around and remove your sticks.

in WvW

Posted by: Mushin.3928

Mushin.3928

Wat. They make the game and work on it every day, they can play the game and claim stuff just like anybody else. Its not unprofessional – its the opposite, since it shows that they have an interest in the game.

Also the alleged “favored world” is currently dropping like a rock from tier 1 to tier 3.

in WvW

Heibi.4251

Wat. They make the game and work on it every day, they can play the game and claim stuff just like anybody else. Its not unprofessional – its the opposite, since it shows that they have an interest in the game.

Apparently no one understands what professionalism and favoritism is these days.

The Devs are there to make sure the game is played correctly by players and that they don’t abuse each other. They can participate in every aspect of the game. However, favoring one server over another and “making a statement for a server” shows lack of professionalism and favoritism.

We have to be able to trust the admin of this game to be a neutral party.

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Apparently no one understands what professionalism and favoritism is these days.

The Devs are there to make sure the game is played correctly by players and that they don’t abuse each other. They can participate in every aspect of the game. However, favoring one server over another and “making a statement for a server” shows lack of professionalism and favoritism.

There are Anet employees whose job is as you state. The vast majority of employees, including developers, do not have that as part of their job description. Yet, they can all be in that guild.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

There is no favouritism. There is only a choice. A choice of which server to play on.

24 servers? Doesn’t matter which one they play on, if it’s not yours then it’s favouritism yes?

As for the guild, I’m pretty sure it was cleared up about 3 years ago that the Anet guild is somewhat similar to a friends list where fellow employees can not also work together but play together.

If they weren’t in their own guild and were in various other player created guilds, would you then claim they favor those guilds and players?

If they played WvW as “neutral”, who is then their ally or enemy? how do they play the game as neutral in WvW?

The point is, in order to play the game like everyone else can, the very game they created, they HAVE too pick a server to play on.

(Before Megaservers people actually guested to various home worlds to speak to devs standing in LA before every reset, no one ever thought that was favouritism… We even guested to your server HoD to do it because I remember that [WvW] guild with Server Police always standing around spamming stuff in map chat)

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in WvW

Heibi.4251

And being in that guild is the same as representing the company even if they don’t have dev as their job description. Anything devs do that could be considered favoritism or unprofessional behavior casts a shadow over ANeT’s company.

All Devs should be mindful of how they appear and act. An making a statement for a server is downright unprofessional.

in WvW

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

When someone posts a thread and then posts several times to that thread arguing their point, that still only counts as one opinion. ( No matter how well the poster represents their ideas.) Thanks for that opinion by the way.

I read all the posts, I saw the keep tag in real time and;

I thought it was OK for Anet to claim the keep. ( I still do )

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

in WvW

Posted by: Radian.2478

Radian.2478

Your logic is very flawed. There are so many guilds out there who can guild claim with the max aura now. On top of that, we have servers linked so there’s even more guilds that can claim on each server. This literally makes no difference. If that keep wasn’t guild claimed by ArenaNet, there would very easily be a different guild that could have claimed it and it would still be guild claimed. In fact, I’d argue that just having WvW devs play on a particular server in the zerg makes a far bigger difference than them guild claiming. But from your original post, you don’t consider that favortism, but you consider guild claiming favortism. What about manning siege? Should Anet devs not be able to man siege? Let them play their game.

(edited by Radian.2478)

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

Well, if there are employees playing on a wvw server, I do think it’d actually only be fair if they played in good faith and that would mean contributing to the server’s effort as they saw fit. Otherwise they might be taking up space.

When I play alt accounts on other servers in WvW, I would put forth an effort to assist as needed. It’s sort of a given if you enter the maps.

This kind of behavior should actually be encouraged and it’d definitely be nice if the devs spread across to the different tiers so they can see what’s going on, and how stuff works in practice.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

And being in that guild is the same as representing the company even if they don’t have dev as their job description. Anything devs do that could be considered favoritism or unprofessional behavior casts a shadow over ANeT’s company.

All Devs should be mindful of how they appear and act. An making a statement for a server is downright unprofessional.

I disagree entirely and am quite glad to see their presence , whether on my side or no.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

They don’t get any super magical powers that any other guild claiming a keep would get.

So they’ve had to personally grind for months to get all the guild tactics and buffs?

I disagree entirely and am quite glad to see their presence , whether on my side or no.

He’s not referring to just having a presence though.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

Last I checked, no one at Anet is so good at WvW as for their participation to amount to favoritism.

That sounded a lot less mean in my head…

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

On the one hand yeah sure.

On the other hand this means ANet devs would have to tag down whenever they play WvW and really I’d prefer to keep ganking them.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Zero Solstice.9754

Zero Solstice.9754

Here’s a scenario for your judgemental ideology: The ANet guild in-game includes ANet employees from all walks of life, including graphic designers. A graphic designer claimed that keep.

Are you honestly about to tell me from your position that you believe that a graphics designer on a different server than you claiming objectives under a guild no different from any other in the game displays favoritism? Are you afraid that ANet is about to make YBBL Keep look cooler than every other keep in the game?

Even taking into account your “background”, your ideology on this subject not only lacks correlation to your experiences, but is also shortsighted and, to a point, entitled.

“Reaper’s only big weakness will be that you have to play Necromancer to use it”
~Bhawb.7409

in WvW

Posted by: Queen of FA.7398

Queen of FA.7398

LOLOLOLOLOLO There is nothing wrong with anet claiming things. As long as it’s on public for tactivators it isn’t any different than anyone else claiming.

in WvW

Posted by: aandiarie.7195

aandiarie.7195

It doesn’t hurt anything as long as it is on public for tactivators. Also it is good to see anet in wvw, that means they are actually there. To discourage anet from being in wvw and participating in it fully would be foolish and detrimental to wvw. ANET NEEDS TO BE IN WVW TO SEE THINGS AND FIX THEM ! =)

in WvW

morrolan.9608

It doesn’t hurt anything as long as it is on public for tactivators.

But did their guild actually have to grind to raise the guild level to get those tactics and other guild buffs?

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

When I get run over by a 30-man blob of red names spamming one and all repping ANet, then I’ll consider it being favoritism.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

But did their guild actually have to grind to raise the guild level to get those tactics and other guild buffs?

If they didn’t what’s the problem? You are mad that they didn’t had to go through the same gold sink? It’s not like they are the only max level guild in the game and are giving some kind of super advantage to the server they are on. There are several guilds with max level auras out there and Anet guild problably don’t give anything more than those other guilds do. You people are just flipping tables over some minor stuff.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

When I get run over by a 30-man blob of red names spamming one and all repping ANet, then I’ll consider it being favoritism.

Normally it’s the otherway around. The 30man blob running over the Anet red tag.

in WvW

morrolan.9608

If they didn’t what’s the problem? You are mad that they didn’t had to go through the same gold sink? It’s not like they are the only max level guild in the game and are giving some kind of super advantage to the server they are on. There are several guilds with max level auras out there and Anet guild problably don’t give anything more than those other guilds do. You people are just flipping tables over some minor stuff.

I didn’t start the thread so I’m hardly flipping tables, just asking a question. I don’t really care that much but if their guild was just automatically given max buffs and tactics and is then actually using it in game on only certain servers then I think there’s at least the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I didn’t start the thread so I’m hardly flipping tables, just asking a question. I don’t really care that much but if their guild was just automatically given max buffs and tactics and is then actually using it in game on only certain servers then I think there’s at least the appearance of a conflict of interest.

If it was the start of the expac when guilds were still leveling up and stuff, I would stand with you on this. But now? Almost 1 year into the expac? Not really a issue worth to even bring up imo.

in WvW

Posted by: Radian.2478

Radian.2478

What if I said that an Anet guild claim could actually harm the server of the guild claim? Lets say a guild plans on claiming a keep and is going to tactivate it and remove public tactic activation so that they can properly regulate the usage of the tactivators. Now lets say an Anet dev nabs it first and guild claims and has public tactic activation by default and then disappears. Now a different guild tactivates it. Next, someone starts trolling all of the tactivators and no one can do anything about it because of the public tactic activation. Now we have arrived to a situation where it actually would have been better if a different guild had guild claimed. Is this still favoritism by Anet?

IMO should have came up with a better argument for Anet showing favoritism like dropping 3000 omegas or something.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

What if I said that an Anet guild claim could actually harm the server of the guild claim? Lets say a guild plans on claiming a keep and is going to tactivate it and remove public tactic activation so that they can properly regulate the usage of the tactivators. Now lets say an Anet dev nabs it first and guild claims and has public tactic activation by default and then disappears. Now a different guild tactivates it. Next, someone starts trolling all of the tactivators and no one can do anything about it because of the public tactic activation. Now we have arrived to a situation where it actually would have been better if a different guild had guild claimed. Is this still favoritism by Anet?

What if I said that an Random guild claim could actually harm the server of the guild claim? Lets say a guild plans on claiming a keep and is going to tactivate it and remove public tactic activation so that they can properly regulate the usage of the tactivators. Now lets say an Random Guild Member nabs it first and guild claims and has public tactic activation by default and then disappears. Now a different guild tactivates it. Next, someone starts trolling all of the tactivators and no one can do anything about it because of the public tactic activation. Now we have arrived to a situation where it actually would have been better if a different guild had guild claimed.

Same kitten…

in WvW

LetoII.3782

So they’ve had to personally grind for months to get all the guild tactics and buffs?

Yes, he is.
They’re just like any other guild. No more, no less

in WvW

Heibi.4251

IMO should have came up with a better argument for Anet showing favoritism like dropping 3000 omegas or something.

Several things wrong with this post.
1. There are already trolls/spies who pull tactivators to kitten over the server.
2. There are already issues where a guild privatizes tactivators and limits the defense that can be done if none of their guild is online.
3. 3000 omega golems is a straw man argument that would be impossible due to siege limits and more.

The point of this thread is to state that showing favoritism to any server by a guild whose very members are admins and employees is unprofessional behavior. Taking part in “making a statement for a server” by claiming another server’s garrison is true unprofessional behavior.

The members of the “ANeT” guild have one job, to administer the game. That involves fixing broken content, banning hackers, and to administer impartial judgment. The claiming casts a shadow over their function.

in WvW

Heibi.4251

Yes, he is.

No they are not like any guild out there. They are employees of ANeT, the company who administers the game. Impartiality is extremely important to maintain.

in WvW

LetoII.3782

Yes, he is.

No they are not like any guild out there. They are employees of ANeT, the company who administers the game. Impartiality is extremely important to maintain.

Why is that?
Why do you think you were cheated?
What about them playing the game isn’t impartial in your view?

You seem to be of the opinion that them playing their own game is inherently unfair to you, and I’m not sure why… Besides that it was YOUR conquered structure. I’ve both killed and followed Anet tags, they’re just playing the game same as any tag.

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

This is one of the most hilarious threads I’ve seen yet.

/popcorn

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

MM… I don’t think they summon stuff out of thin air. We once had Anet claim Stonemist and also tossed a bunch of guild catas. Upon asking, the person did indeed note that they were paying for all those catas out of their own pockets.

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Of course it doesn’t matter what server they play on when repping their guild. They are playing on their sparetime….
Doesn’t matter what the OP thinks, it’s not favoritism of any sorts. It’s like saying that since they work for Anet during their work hours we get to decide what they should do during their none working hours, it’s just childish.

in WvW

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’m playing on one of the pairs of servers against YB. I thought it was great.

Every time I see an Anet tag, I try to cheer or wave. I’m happy that they play the game.

In basically every fight that I’ve seen where an Anet tag is visible (pvp or wvw), the person with that tag gets completely focused.

I’m happy to have Anet employees in the game, and I hope they have fun playing

in WvW

Posted by: Nighteyess.2149

Nighteyess.2149

I’m always happy to see the ANet tag on a keep or a player, it’s nice to see them enjoying their own game and of course they have every right to do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Of all the things that ANet does, is this really the most annoying?

The only reason I think they shouldn’t claim objectives is that it invites people to start threads like this, thus distracting many of us (including myself) from discussing the actual game.

If they did it every night, if they did it on the same server for hours and hours, if they did it deliberately to provide a decisive advantage in a specific battle… if it mattered to the outcome of the match, well, then sure, I’d be against that.

So if they are just playing WvW on whatever server they are hanging with this month, then I say: have fun. Target their claimed objectives, target them during zerg fights. Get your favorite massive guild to claim an objective on each map.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

It’s a game. Lighten up.

And if you want to see ANet’s tag on SBI/HoD garrison you don’t need anyone to flip it. That can be arranged pretty easily without.

(edited by Ben K.6238)

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Oh boo hoo

How dare Anet play their own game,
How dare they play the game without any special spawning powers or admin powers..
How dare they experience wvw to figure out what needs fixed and what doesn’t.
How dare they bother to socialize with a segment of the community that often complains about being neglected.

p.s. Anet is on multiple servers….
The more you know

Just noticed he’s from HoD… it makes sense now…

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Is just claiming a keep…..

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com