Overnight border lockdown

in WvW

Posted by: Benjifu.8451

Benjifu.8451

I will once again start this by saying I apologise if there is already a topic on this!

It is in reference to the fact that I feel a servers own BL’s should be locked down overnight whilst the majority of players are in bed, leaving EB as a playing field.

There’s nothing worse then to have a really good day of WvW upgrading 3 keeps in your BL (is that like 4-5g ish?) only to wake up in the morning and find out a team of 5 people raided your BL with 4 golems. Its demoralising to WvW players and somewhat unfair?

What do you people think about the idea of locking a Servers own BL down so invaders cannot go there but allowing EB to be an overnight playing field?

in WvW

Posted by: Scleameth.6809

Scleameth.6809

This would be great, since I hate sitting at work and watching my team’s BL get invaded and I can’t do anything about it. But I’m afraid it can’t be implemented. If said team already owns the entire EB, what do you expect them to do for some WvW action? I’m pretty sure they won’t be all that happy with killing the grub day in and day out for the sake of leaving unprotected property out of the mix…

I actually wish they never had EU servers to start with. (I know, again, not possible to constrain the entire world to NA pings). But it sure would make WvW a better competition if all servers where on one time zone and many more server match up permutations could exist.

FC – [SNKY]
Keep the Faith (and stay out of AC fire)

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I will once again start this by saying I apologise if there is already a topic on this!

It is in reference to the fact that I feel a servers own BL’s should be locked down overnight whilst the majority of players are in bed, leaving EB as a playing field.

There’s nothing worse then to have a really good day of WvW upgrading 3 keeps in your BL (is that like 4-5g ish?) only to wake up in the morning and find out a team of 5 people raided your BL with 4 golems. Its demoralising to WvW players and somewhat unfair?

What do you people think about the idea of locking a Servers own BL down so invaders cannot go there but allowing EB to be an overnight playing field?

Day and night servers for each area are an amazing idea! Mark them for each timezone so that I can’t to into one that is in “night phase” for the majority of the players who fight in that battleground and same for “day phase”.

Why not?

Something has to be done so we don’t go to sleep and find our hard work and maybe even real cash going to waste – yes, this is a hobby, but it also has to make sense.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

No.

Overnight is not the same everywhere, and some people can only play at night (those with jobs and family for one), why should they be punished and locked out from content because of that?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

i think the lockdown is not a good idea. i played a tps name global agenda. they have something similar to wvw and time zone based mapps. after a time, a zone closes and an other opens.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

Absolutely not. Not everyone can only play 9am to 9pm.

And no EU servers? I.. just.. what?! How would this help anything?

in WvW

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

No. Why should Australians be limited to only fighting in EB because the NA players are asleep during their primetime? Or what if you’re working so that you only have time to play late at night? Should that disqualify you from playing in the borderlands?

Nightcapping is a part of the game, all the solutions I’ve seen to fix it unfairly penalize a significant amount of players.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in WvW

Benjifu.8451

I can see the arguments against it… But there argument about owning all EB.. If the green side generally own all the map anyways.. This setup would give a chance for the lower ranked servers in the match up to actually give the high tier a good fight, at the moment I’m seeing us go to sleep with a balanced pie chart to wake up with it all green! And the one about people playing only in the night… Well then shouldn’t if they are WvW oriented make them switch to a server that is more WvW active during the night periods??? I feel night WvW is slightly unfair. As you will always get less players and easier to cap and get rid of upgrades, where a day fight is much more fun and rewarding.. I suggested it as I cannot honestly see anything bad about it!

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

I am becoming more and more inclined to lean toward the idea that many have had of limiting/capping the PPT earned so that it adjusts with population scaling.

My only major hesitation, would be manipulation of the system.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

And why would your day be more valuable than another players day?
Not everyone lives in the same timezone. There is always night somewhere.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Sitkaz.5463

I can see the arguments against it…
snip
I suggested it as I cannot honestly see anything bad about it!

:P

in WvW

Posted by: Melkiah.2496

Melkiah.2496

Melkiah Soulreaper
VII Guild
Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: Actinotus.6410

Actinotus.6410

I so agree lock down the borderlands when us Australians are in bed so no NA people can play and take our stuff when we are asleep.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

Another thread where people argue whos time is more precious!

Melkiah already posted the Dev reply which, well, explains everything in short few sentences.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

in WvW

Posted by: LampGhost.9658

LampGhost.9658

i kind of agree that this nightcapping is a bit lame, even though i’ve currently got holiday and i enjoy sitting at my pc at night… if you lock the borders down it won’t be really fair for those that can not play during the day either… i see your point though.

Black Lion Key [AIM]
~ Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Does not have anything to do with time of day….At least not what I said, (not sure if you were replying to me) has to do with population variances. That is a 24/7 issue in badly rolled matches. Blowouts due to population disparities are not good for WvW, they are not good for ANET, they aren’t good for the losers or the winners.

Also from ANET:

“This is not saying that we are against any adjustment to scoring, or against developing another mechanic to improve the capping system. This is simply saying that we will not be changing WvW based on some players’ idea of off time hours.”

That is what I am hoping for…

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

As has been pointed out, this has been issue since launch week. Anet’s response at the time was “deal with it.” They also advised people to recruit off-hours guild.

Neither is a solution. (There is a limited number of off-hour guilds, and they tend to go to the higher tier servers).

The best suggestions from the original debate were some kind of buff the closer you got to someone’s home territory. Or a stronger out-manned buff that had actually teeth. Apparently something like them were used in DAoC.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

what happens when servers have a larger overnight presence then NA presence, can we lock all the bl’s for NA’s because our peak time is oceanic?

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

This would alienate entire communities on the servers now, forcing whole time blocks of people that enjoy WvW to have to change not just servers, but continents (NA vs EU).

The amount of “bad idea” in this suggestion is beyond measure.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

It get’s worse, for some people it’s already tomorrow while others are still stuck in yesterday.

Maybe everyone should get a buff based on their local time? So if I play at 3am local, I get to be some sort of battlefield god, twenty feet tall and possessed of the strength of a dozen kittens.

(So?…I like kittens)

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

It get’s worse, for some people it’s already tomorrow while others are still stuck in yesterday.

Maybe everyone should get a buff based on their local time? So if I play at 3am local, I get to be some sort of battlefield god, twenty feet tall and possessed of the strength of a dozen kittens.

(So?…I like kittens)

Kittymon matrix-digivolve to… Nugentmon!

Cat… Scratch… FEVER!

(My son recently discovered that all the Digimon episodes are on YouTube… )

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

Im at work right now and WHOLE WvW Bl is getting contested by another server sticking in 400 point for the half of the day, and that’s ridiculous.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

Im at work right now and WHOLE WvW Bl is getting contested by another server sticking in 400 point for the half of the day, and that’s ridiculous.

So what should we tell people who’s primetime is right now and this is the time of day they get to play… too bad, go somewhere else? Stop having fun and playing because you’re hurting my feelings?

This game is pretty global you realize. It’s not based in your timezone, or mine, or anyone elses. Locking content by someones time zone only hurts those that live elsewhere.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

So what should we tell people who’s primetime is right now and this is the time of day they get to play… too bad, go somewhere else? Stop having fun and playing because you’re hurting my feelings?

But… it is primetime now

Seriously, its a silly idea. Its just a bloody game, not a world championship tournament. Poor night coverage make you loose the matchup? Well boho there are no tiers anymore anyway, its just random who you meet. So it doesnt matter if your server win or loose.

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

made posts like this since first month , have been told over and over that Anet does not want to kitten off any players etc etc…

in WvW

Posted by: ravivkk.7381

ravivkk.7381

War never end. why sould the wvw be closed during a certain period of time you weak at?
It seem like a selfish request because you dislike to lose.
If server has good night capping capeablility you shouldnt limit the server or punish it, and the players playing in it. Also having only one BL open during night will be even worse experince for those playing during night, they wont even have a chance to suprise attack the dominate server at another BL and they will be stuck defending against a larger force.
As much as I hate seeing keept I upgraded during day getting flipped I would hate to see no keep being flipped during night and servers keeping thier upgrades for most of the matchup.

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

As has been pointed out, this has been issue since launch week. Anet’s response at the time was “deal with it.” They also advised people to recruit off-hours guild.

Neither is a solution. (There is a limited number of off-hour guilds, and they tend to go to the higher tier servers).

The best suggestions from the original debate were some kind of buff the closer you got to someone’s home territory. Or a stronger out-manned buff that had actually teeth. Apparently something like them were used in DAoC.

Buffs doesn’t work. In Daoc out manned buff had some teeth and it work ONLY because there are’t the crazy thing called ‘DOWNED STATE’ , no 5 man aoe limit , only healer can rez. This means when you are out numbered 2-1 defending a keep you can slowly thin down the number of attackers over time or plan a counter attack if you out play the zerg you can wipe their healers and wipe the zerg. In GW2 down state + everyone can rez + 5 man aoe cap means it’s impossible to kill even 1 player when you are inside a keep defending. Counter rush is pointless. I have fought in many battles where my side rushed a larger zerg downed 1/2 of the zerg in the rush only to have them insta rally on 1 or 2 of our death and then zerg us down.

in WvW

Posted by: Nemesis.2019

Nemesis.2019

And this is where Anet messed up, when they allowed players from any time zone to join any server, this is what ruined WvW from the get go….

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

And this is where Anet messed up, when they allowed players from any time zone to join any server, this is what ruined WvW from the get go….

So they should basically have 3 servers for every single time zone in the world then?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Sandman.4192

Sandman.4192

Just live with it you can’t do nothing about it.
Or get more dedicated to your server.
Just took Whiteside Ridge garrison on there bl. last night at 3:00 am (UTC+1:00)
with 5 guys. just for the fun wasn’t fully upgraded yet.

[SLAY] The Soul Slayers!! FSP EU
Prepare To Die!! Never Stop Fighting!!

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I can see the arguments against it…
snip
I suggested it as I cannot honestly see anything bad about it!

:P

Yeah, that alone shows the level of logic in the OP’s suggestion.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

August 2012 called, they want their argument back.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

This game is pretty global you realize. It’s not based in your timezone, or mine, or anyone elses. Locking content by someones time zone only hurts those that live elsewhere.

My world is NA and is getting zerged by Oceanic and EU people when most of our big guild is from NA. Clear disadvantage for us, clean fun for they.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

My world is NA and is getting zerged by Oceanic and EU people when most of our big guild is from NA. Clear disadvantage for us, clean fun for they.

Nearly forgot to mention those NA folks working off-shifts from the 9 – 5 crowd too. Guess those folks should be told to give up on wanting to play WvW as well.

I’m on JQ, so I’ve seen it all. The night giveth, the night taketh away. It’s what you do with the cards you’ve been dealt when you log on that matters.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Benjifu.8451

Whoa.. Why pick discrepancies in what I’m saying? It was a suggestion, nothing more. I didnt see the original topic.

There may not be a issue with this for higher ranked servers… But the lower you go (my server being FoW) the least active a night time defense is.. I can understand everything is limited on what can and cannot be done.. But how are the lower ranked servers ever going to enjoy WvW if you have a really good day only for everything to be reversed when you wake up?

in WvW

Posted by: ArkAngel.7940

ArkAngel.7940

Because when you come back, everything is fresh for the taking! So bring your low level alt and start power leveling!

Henge of Denravi [HoD]
The best player in the game
“I’m better than all of you!”

in WvW

Posted by: plevyakin.8792

plevyakin.8792

So, by that logic – my former server has an excellent Oceanic/EU crew, but our NA primetime crew keeps losing our upgrades.

Does this mean that the BL should be locked down during the Oceanic’s/EU’s overnight?

Bonaduce Cadderly
Henge of Denravi [HOD]
Discreet [Dx]

in WvW

Sitkaz.5463

The reason people get emotional about this topic (which comes up a lot) is because it’s saying “my schedule is the right one, and everyone not on my schedule may not play.” It probably doesn’t seem that way from your perspective, but that’s what it amounts to.

in WvW

Posted by: thebeaRRRRR.8640

thebeaRRRRR.8640

I honestly find the OP extremely selfish. I am from SEA and like everyone else in NA, EU and Oceanic players, i paid the full price of the game. It makes no sense why Anet should lockdown an entire borderlands just because NA goes to sleep.

Bottom line is this, when I’m awake and I’m playing, you’re sleeping. Vice-versa. We lose stuffs due to coverage as well. To lockdown the map when you’re sleeping and i’m playing, would be an extremely unfair and selfish suggestion that would alienate EU/SEA communities from the game itself.

[AHMA] Giam Chye Cha Loti
Ele, guardian
Ultimate Dominator

in WvW

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

This is not just about whose time is more important, or whose schedule should be followed. Bottom line is there is a coverage insufficiency in almost all servers that opens up your lands for the taking. And WvW being a coverage game make it less competitive and sometimes just frustrating.

“We take your stuff while you’re asleep, and you take ours while we’re asleep,” doesn’t bode well for most players. And no, I’m not talking about a single individual who plays at off-peak. It’s about enough number of players who have a chance of defending their lands on any given time of attack.

(edited by Yenn.9185)

in WvW

Posted by: Tarkus.4109

Tarkus.4109

Basically these topics can be summed up in three words; America, kitten yeah. Get your OC coverage to pull their finger out or get some more oceanics. There is nothing more blatantly arrogant than wishing players that dont live in your timezone to be penalized for logging in as you would.

Retired OCX Pugmander and Guild driver [Tarkus, Vaelle]

in WvW

Posted by: Clockradio.3257

Clockradio.3257

I believe the official ANET response went something along the lines of:

“Night capping WILL happen. Deal with it.”

Clockradio | [TSYM] | Sanctum of Rall
tsym.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

so you are saying when i get off work, i get to play 1 hour max and then ill have to pve or spvp or just switch game? because u dont wanna be night capped? so i would have to join a eu server just because u don’t have coverage. how about u change server if it bothers u that much?

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

This won’t help players with different play times at all, instead making a big problem:

50% of all points in WvW will come down to the last 30 minutes of play.

It’s really simple. Servers will have to stack in order to grab all of the land before the lockdown, so they can keep getting points through the night. This makes it so all of the WvW play before the timeline is mostly meaningless, and after that half-hour window you can’t WvW anymore at all. This basically makes Border locking itself a much bigger problem than what it attempts to solve, and it discriminates against more timelines that way.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

I started a thread called ‘not a solution buy may help’, in hindsight I should have just posted it in here, so here it is:-

One of the common complaints regarding WvW is guys seeing their upgraded home BL flattened by the other server(s) in their match up who have better out of primetime coverage or a bunch of (slightly sad) guys that do an alarm clock golem rush.
Imo what these guys are really complaining about is not the loss of siege weapons (they are cheap and would prob have despawned anyway) not the loss of cannons oil mortars or even the doors and walls. The main upgrade that everyone really cares about is the Way Point, it saves a lot of the endless walking around quite an irritating map and of course enables support to quickly arrive at a keep thats being attacked.
So how about Anet makes it so that Way Points in your own BL come with Keep ownership automatically the moment u cap the Keep. If you capture a Keep on an enemy BL then it is the same as currently as in if you want a WP then u have to do cannons and mortars first.
I have a list of pros and cons for this idea in my head but lets see what rocks you lot throw at it if u can be bothered tbh this is really just a quality of life suggestion more than anything.

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: zeus.2375

zeus.2375

This thread can’t not be real.

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

This thread can’t not be real.

not sure what you mean, even assuming that you meant to type ’ can not be real’ still dont know what you mean

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Benjifu.8451

Okay looking at the arguments against this it all seems to come around American servers not being able to wiped all the EU servers upgrades during the night.. And I’ve noticed all you guys arguing this case are from high ranked servers who actually have night cover from an EU or american server.. Maybe it is the outmanned buff that needs changing? But something needs to be done as I dont think WvW brings in enough money for a server to spend what.. 30g odd upgrading their border a day for a 5man golem team to wipe it whilst they sleep! I have nothing against American servers or anything like that I just believe there needs to be some kind of balance as I can see people in lower rank servers just not playing WvW eventually..

in WvW

Posted by: Zamiel.2130

Zamiel.2130

Whoa.. Why pick discrepancies in what I’m saying? It was a suggestion, nothing more. I didnt see the original topic.

There may not be a issue with this for higher ranked servers… But the lower you go (my server being FoW) the least active a night time defense is.. I can understand everything is limited on what can and cannot be done.. But how are the lower ranked servers ever going to enjoy WvW if you have a really good day only for everything to be reversed when you wake up?

And the world revolves around you and what you want….

GW2 was marketed globally and therefore has a diverse population from all over the world. Why is your playing time more precious than someone elses? Whilst I’m at it, is your money better than mine too?

You’re also forgetting about all the WXP and Karma you get for taking it back. Oh, I bet you’re up too late and it’s already taken back, so that’s what you’re really complaining about, missing out on all the WXP and Karma. Perhaps ANET should lock it down until you’re ready to play?

This is a totally preposterous idea.

in WvW

Sitkaz.5463

I’m from a low ranked EU server and I’m against the idea too, Benjifu. It isn’t just high ranked Americans saying no. It’s everyone who thinks we should be able to play anytime, not just prime time.