POF Elites - Changing the face of War

in WvW

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

How do you see the battlefield changing in WvW with the introduction of the POF Elites?
Pirateship meta?
Melee ball boonshare meta?
What is going to be the new meta?

HYPE
Scourge – Changing the face of War

• Sand Swell

This is going to be an immense tactical change for Zerg vs Zerg engagements.
No more are we going to get commanders dancing around in circles. Scourge’s Sand Swell is going to function like an instant portal bomb with safety barriers. Can be used defensively as well, helping zergs to disengage faster in groups.

• Shades

More battle field control? More boon corruption? Great!
I also like that it gives even more AOE potential to the necromancer. Staff marks, Wells, and Shades? Right up my alley! More AOE = More enemies tagged = more bags!

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in WvW

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

While you are attempting to cast your Sand Swell and Shades, I’m gonna snipe you from 1500 distance, and vanish back in stealth!

No, but yes, but no, there are some very interesting things coming up, and it’s gonna be exciting to see how it unfolds.

The boonhate is strong in this exp, so it might stir things up a bit compared to how it is today.

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I think new meta will dwell more into issues of positional/maneuvering warfare – quite a few of new elite specs introduces aspects of of territorial control – once scourge gets his toys setup you will not really want to get into that territory, you will want to make him go out of it. similary you will not want to charge throught the chokepoint guarded by few spellbreakers if you are anyhow relying on boons.

considering how scourge/spellbreaker combo can give many advantages to the side being “pushed”, and knowing “laziness” of meta I think that many may want to retreat back into pirateship meta – because pushing into enemy zerg may be actually a bad idea if they are properly organised [winds of disenchantment+barier spike and heavy bomb in that spot anyone?]

althought while this applies to zergs truth is that for winning the war pushes will have to be made at times – even if just to capture the camp/tower/keep – hence my guess is that for those more determined players forging new meta positioning and maneuvering will be one of major aspects to consider.

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Pr-buffing will be a thing agen even though it never comply went away. We may see more vails and fants.
Keep in mind the old healing support going to fall behind due to more burst from classes.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

The pirate ship meta will return with Dead Eyes and Scourges leading the (lack of) charge!

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Moar condis!
Condi for you!
And condi for you!
And condi for you there too!
And you get to teleport like a mesmer!
And you get to snipe like a warrior!
And you get to boon strip like a necromancer!
And you get to.. sigh whatever.. more condi bombs coming.

None of these new elites are impressive to me, Scourge might be the only thing I may play but probably cause I love the necromancer class.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

more condis than you ever seen before and no resistance.

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Not to mention all the special effects tend to lag my and my guildies’/friends’ entire game in the big fights. Before these new elites for PoF I didn’t have this problem. Turning off post processing doesn’t even help.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

The condi gets stronger and stronger all the time.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

Rev will get more use in WvW as its resistance will become more and more of a frontline backbone with Condi revs and Condi nekros getting stronger. meanwhile Ventari revs will still be the midline backbone as they are the only thing in game that can counter both condis and raw damage with their almighty tablet

Nekro will probably make a switch to Scourge the aoe tagging potential Condi bombing and generally more range and support options.

Elemenalist will stay tempest the melee options provided by Weaver dont make up for its overall squishiness enough to make it a frontline fighter tho weaver roamers will be very strong.

Engineer will see more warrioresque roles in frontline combat but will still ultimately be a roamer class

Mesmer will stay chrono for group content and either/or for roaming

Warrior will likely go spellbreaker its anti zerg potential is off the charts.

Guardian can do whatever it wants every guardian build is viable

Ranger will pick its new elite spec for the sole fact of its the only way to make its pet not 100% worthless infact it makes your pet a legitimate part of your build also the auto save on down will save them.

Thiefs will be thiefs the elite spec is just another option to allow them to roam it doenst make them super viable in zergs but it helps giving them the ability to target the eles and simply eliminate them.

in WvW

Posted by: volpenvieh.3201

volpenvieh.3201

Just some unorganized thoughts after watching the guild chat livestream and 5 hours of reset yesterday:

- Definitely a lot of conditions flying around.
- My second thought when I saw the guild chat livestream was pirateship but there’s also a lot of projectile hate going on so maybe not.
- With Soulbeast, ranger will definitely be viable in zergs and might jump in for some missing guardians (Leader of the Pack -> Dolyak Stance) allthough it’s not as good as core guardian double stability of course.
- Heavy boon corrupt from Scourge and boonstrip from Spellbreaker. Rather than focussing on applying resistance it might be better to focus on actual cleansing.
- Not sure about the Weaver yet, the skill set looks too selfish to be viable in the frontline of a zerg (apart from the heal skill) but I haven’t taken a look at it’s backline viability with a staff yet.
- Deadeye still not viable for zergs, too much single target damage + no group support and not enough mobility to play as backline. Maybe focusparty but there’s better builds to do the job.

So far I’ve only tried Soulbeast, Weaver and am currently playing Scourge so forgive me if I got anything wrong.

(edited by volpenvieh.3201)

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

- Heavy boon corrupt from Spellbreaker and Scourge. Rather than focussing on applying resistance it might be better to focus on actual cleansing.

boonstrip, not boon corrupt – at least for the spellbreaker huge difference as spellbreaker at best can make you receive damage on strip while condis from boon corrupt seems be quite a more….. problematic

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Rev will get more use in WvW as its resistance will become more and more of a frontline backbone with Condi revs and Condi nekros getting stronger. meanwhile Ventari revs will still be the midline backbone as they are the only thing in game that can counter both condis and raw damage with their almighty tablet

Nekro will probably make a switch to Scourge the aoe tagging potential Condi bombing and generally more range and support options.

Elemenalist will stay tempest the melee options provided by Weaver dont make up for its overall squishiness enough to make it a frontline fighter tho weaver roamers will be very strong.

Engineer will see more warrioresque roles in frontline combat but will still ultimately be a roamer class

Mesmer will stay chrono for group content and either/or for roaming

Warrior will likely go spellbreaker its anti zerg potential is off the charts.

Guardian can do whatever it wants every guardian build is viable

Ranger will pick its new elite spec for the sole fact of its the only way to make its pet not 100% worthless infact it makes your pet a legitimate part of your build also the auto save on down will save them.

Thiefs will be thiefs the elite spec is just another option to allow them to roam it doenst make them super viable in zergs but it helps giving them the ability to target the eles and simply eliminate them.

Good summation.

in WvW

Posted by: volpenvieh.3201

volpenvieh.3201

- Heavy boon corrupt from Spellbreaker and Scourge. Rather than focussing on applying resistance it might be better to focus on actual cleansing.

boonstrip, not boon corrupt – at least for the spellbreaker huge difference as spellbreaker at best can make you receive damage on strip while condis from boon corrupt seems be quite a more….. problematic

ah sorry, corrected

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

I don’t like combat like this. There is just too much all kind of defense kitten. Fun to play ranged class when even small groups can be totally immune ranged damage 24/7.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Spellbreaker makes stacking condis dangerous. I melted a good number of Necros and Mesmers the last few hours with the condi copy.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Necro will ruin WvW unless the boon corruption is toned down. Most of the PoF specs are very condi heavy. Some guilds were already heading in this direction, and I see it getting more dominant. Nothing viable like a Malyx resisntance rev introduced, but with all the corruption and stripping, resistance won’t mean squat. Whoever attacks first with CCs and massive boon corruption from necros will win.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Junkpile.7439

Well if players follow commander in one blob it’s ok that they get wiped fast.

in WvW

Posted by: HitmanHaydon.1053

HitmanHaydon.1053

Everything is condi!
Utterly terrible anet.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

The cynical elephant in the rooms says this won’t change much from the current war strategies. It will merely increase the lag.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I know the people don’t really know how to play the new elites, but they feel by far weaker than the HoT elites. What’s going to happen to them?
There has been a lot of powercreep the past 2 years. One problem is still the traitmerge, which should be adressed.
I did say that I’d buy the equivalent of HoT in gems if the first real balance patch made by professionals came out. And actually the last balance patch was really good, just that i don’t know why some grave mistakes made in June 2015 still haven’t been fixed (my power D/D thief is still in the gutter) andI do wonder what the plan regarding balance is. A balance patch every 2 years before the next expansion, or are you actually willing to balance the game so that it’s not faceroll to win anymore? That is actually my ‘Yes, I have faith in anet, I will buy the expansion to support them’.

in WvW

Posted by: Mnl.8146

Mnl.8146

Changing the face of war? How about 5 guys spending half an hour to hunt down a perma invis deadeye in SM. He could interrupt us while ressing without getting spotted, be could just yolo everywhere and get away with it. When you finally caught him and got him to low hp he would simply blink/dodge away in stealth and come out full hp again. The sad thing is that after 30 minutes we did not catch him, we just gave up and went somewhere else…

in WvW

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Changing the face of war? How about 5 guys spending half an hour to hunt down a perma invis deadeye in SM. He could interrupt us while ressing without getting spotted, be could just yolo everywhere and get away with it. When you finally caught him and got him to low hp he would simply blink/dodge away in stealth and come out full hp again. The sad thing is that after 30 minutes we did not catch him, we just gave up and went somewhere else…

A thief can do that even without deadeye ^^

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

A thief can do that even without deadeye ^^

“Yes, Yes, yes, but thiefhate, never out of fashion, whether or not I have solid arguments – Thief OP!!”

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Nothing wrong with thieves you guys need to l2p.
And use stealth traps for heaven’s sake.

Attachments:

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

good luck trying to do that dmg when u dont have the time to wait for malice stacks when u are mad slow when no1 is standing unbuffed and when no1 will give u 25 might stacks and when u dont want to be 1 shotted.

fought so many new crap thiefs already they stand no chance versus Daredevil so beside some tower hugging and shooting some newbies u wont do much as this class.

in WvW

Junkpile.7439

good luck trying to do that dmg when u dont have the time to wait for malice stacks when u are mad slow when no1 is standing unbuffed and when no1 will give u 25 might stacks and when u dont want to be 1 shotted.

fought so many new crap thiefs already they stand no chance versus Daredevil so beside some tower hugging and shooting some newbies u wont do much as this class.

Well to be fair game doesn’t have any class that would have any chance against daredevil. If you manage get daredevil under 50% hp you are moral winner.

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

More condi,more cc,more aoe spamm,much funos ! Muchos skillos !

Tbh wish people wouldnt play like such kitten in wvw,running away from 1on1,porting from 1on1,logging off when downed 1on1..running inside a tower 1on1.but if they see 5 others with em they chase u over the map.Besides everyone and his mother running condi specs is getting tiresome.Its a no skill aoe spamm/gank fest.Pof isnt changing much to this besides adding more powercreep.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Deadeye cast times get shaken up pretty easily, make them butterfingers and they’re going to run. They’re good if they can do a dry run of a fight in their heads really quick and pull it off but it’s a big gamble if they get stopped in any way.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

From what I’ve seen, one of my initial beliefs about Scourge being good in zergs is panning out to be quite true.

It will be interesting to see the meta shift in response to the new elite specs. I think Firebrand, Scourge, and Spellbreaker will be the big ones for shaping the new strategies.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in WvW

Posted by: TheDevilWithinU.7092

TheDevilWithinU.7092

Everything points to pirate ship.

| Maguuma | [KEK] | GvG Relic & Historian |
Notorious Nevermore – Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Given the amount of projectile hate, I doubt it. I do think we will see people clumping up less, trying to draw fights into areas where they can abuse the chokepoints, though.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Personally did not care for the firebrand. Will be using my usual vanilla guard. Best for group comp atm.

in WvW

Posted by: TheDevilWithinU.7092

TheDevilWithinU.7092

Given the amount of projectile hate, I doubt it. I do think we will see people clumping up less, trying to draw fights into areas where they can abuse the chokepoints, though.

Once comps are truly played with and figured out pirate ship will easily beat the projectile hate. It’ll end up being all about zoning which is how pirate ship is all about.

| Maguuma | [KEK] | GvG Relic & Historian |
Notorious Nevermore – Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Best I can tell the Necro is the only one with a significantly strong out of the box specialization. I am sure there will be some unexpected builds but after the weekend PoF feels nothing like the seismic shift HoT was.

Changing the face of war? How about 5 guys spending half an hour to hunt down a perma invis deadeye in SM.

Spellbreaker has a pretty a strong recurring reveal that tethers and pulls. Also what is a Deadeye going to do inside SMC. Players can always drop a trap on a corpse and they have to respawn in a few minutes. Generally the most they can do is annoy and they can do that from the outside.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

i feel like in the long game only scourge and spellbreaker will have major zerg changes with revenant and beastsoul making small splashes. but the changest to roaming are infinite.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

Once comps are truly played with and figured out pirate ship will easily beat the projectile hate. It’ll end up being all about zoning which is how pirate ship is all about.

Projectiles not even necessary for “pirate” shipping given so many range aoe damage isn’t even a projectile.

Pretty sure it’s going to lag more though. That’s guaranteed either way.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

my deadeye is not threatened with stealth traps. *Triggers trap then uses new elite to go stealth"

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

my deadeye is not threatened with stealth traps. *Triggers trap then uses new elite to go stealth"

I’ll see your elite and raise you a Moa.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Hmmm, I will need to use all of my cunning…

I ALT+F4 Bwahahahahahaha

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Hmmm, I will need to use all of my cunning…

I ALT+F4 Bwahahahahahaha

Oh well drat. I’ll have to make it my mission to find you and “hug” you.

What? Why are you running away?!

I SAID HUG.

*hides stake behind my back.

L’enfer, c’est les autres