PSA: how to handle conditions in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

-% Duration isn’t going to help. It’s good against soft CC’s but against the current burst, you’re long going to be dead before you’d see any benefit from reduced duration.

The only foods that help are those that increase vitality, or Curry Mussel Soup that actually reduces damage.

Real counters include sending epidemic bait out, using things like thieves to kill necros, and condition transfers (yes, i’ve had my epidemic “returned to sender” a few times). Problem is that these things are mostly large scale tactical and generally out of the control of individual action.

If you’re not a guardian, rev or warrior, you cannot go out in front, because if somehow you are to survive, you will have infected everyone else. You absolutely must anticipate the movements, but if they happen to not like you, you will simply not survive a coordinated attack.

I think the problem is just that it’s a lot more work to counter it, and remember, it’s not the person that gets hit by epidemic that’s the problem. It’s the people around them, so you can’t just “dodge” it.

Examples from other threads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9WbKSfbao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDNlqEHvzI

In video, no.1 the ele is completely helpless and there is nothing that can be done.
In video, no.2 The guardian might have survived but the margin of error is so thin(it would have required anticipation— you can’t react to that. ) basically doesn’t exist with any hint of lag and of course saying what people should do in a video is much easier than actually being there.

Most of your advice would not have saved either person. It’s not because your advice isn’t sound, it’s just not enough to handle the absurdity of the current situation.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

-% Duration isn’t going to help. It’s good against soft CC’s but against the current burst, you’re long going to be dead before you’d see any benefit from reduced duration.

The only foods that help are those that increase vitality, or Curry Mussel Soup that actually reduces damage.

Real counters include sending epidemic bait out, using things like thieves to kill necros, and condition transfers (yes, i’ve had my epidemic “returned to sender” a few times).

If you’re not a guardian, rev or warrior, you cannot go out in front, because if somehow you are to survive, you will have infected everyone else. You absolutely must anticipate the movements, but if they happen to not like you, you will simply not survive a coordinated attack.

I think the problem is just that it’s a lot more work to counter it, and remember, it’s not the person that gets hit by epidemic that’s the problem. It’s the people around them, so you can’t just “dodge” it.

Post isn’t about epidemic.
It’s about dealing with conditions ( which may or may not be getting bounced around by epi). But since you want to bring it up: epi doesn’t really work if you have no condis to copy.

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

That’s the problem right there. The person getting epidemic cast on them are the ones who have Resistance Boon up.

They are forgoing condition cleanses, runes, food, abilities, etc. to up their damage most likely. Which allows conditions to be stacked on them.

If say Resistance was -33% damage and -33% condition duration. They would still need to think about bringing condition cleanses with them. With food they’d be at -53% duration and you’d see conditions fall off of them. There would be no epidemic targets, or there would be a smaller window of landing a good epidemic.

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

In video, no.1 the ele is completely helpless and there is like nothing that can be done.
In video, no.2 The guardian might have survived but the margin of error, which really isn’t (it would have required anticipation) didn’t exist.

Video 1 the person who had 40 stacks of confusion on them should have died, LONG before anyone should have been able to cast epidemic on him.

Also, they are in PvE land where confusion does 33% MORE damage.

That 2nd video, I saw his team getting spiked with conditions, he should have dropped purging flames the moment he noticed his necro get condition bombed. But he didn’t, he was saving it for himself and called out cleanses far too late.

(edited by Tricare.2946)

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

That’s the problem right there. The person getting epidemic cast on them are the ones who have Resistance Boon up.

They are forgoing condition cleanses, runes, food, abilities, etc. to up their damage most likely. Which allows conditions to be stacked on them.

If say Resistance was -33% damage and -33% condition duration. They would still need to think about bringing condition cleanses with them. With food they’d be at -53% duration and you’d see conditions fall off of them. There would be no epidemic targets, or there would be a smaller window of landing a good epidemic.

-33% dmg, and -33% duration reduction from resistance? That is a version of resistance I actually like more than the current immunity. Honestly even 25% I think would be strong..

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

In video, no.1 the ele is completely helpless and there is like nothing that can be done.
In video, no.2 The guardian might have survived but the margin of error, which really isn’t (it would have required anticipation) didn’t exist.

Video 1 the person who had 40 stacks of confusion on them should have died, LONG before anyone should have been able to cast epidemic on him.

Also, they are in PvE land where confusion does 33% MORE damage.

That 2nd video, I saw his team getting spiked with conditions, he should have dropped purging flames the moment he noticed his necro get condition bombed. But he didn’t, he was saving it for himself and called out cleanses far too late.

That is fair enough. Confusion is lulz and confusion in the guild hall is lulz+1,

And yes, I know that guardian screwed up by saving the PF and not having the insta-cast f2 on reserve— he sorta wasted it. That’s why I said it would have required a bit of anticipation. I think I would have blamed myself and not the game in such a situation, but it’s quite brutal still, don’t you think?

Real counters include sending epidemic bait out, using things like thieves to kill necros, and condition transfers (yes, i’ve had my epidemic “returned to sender” a few times).

Post isn’t about epidemic.
It’s about dealing with conditions ( which may or may not be getting bounced around by epi). But since you want to bring it up: epi doesn’t really work if you have no condis to copy.

True, but my point about duration not being the great against condi burst still stands. I focused on epidemic because that’s the hot topic now.

That being said, I also realize people don’t use food at all, lol. Or they use mussels gnashblade.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Remember kids, there is more than one way to deal with conditions. Dying to them is entirely avoidable.

Hey dad I figured out the best way to handle conditions.. stop playing the game.
100% avoidable!
:D

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

If conditions are so OP in wvw, why do most people run power builds?

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: sneakytails.5629

sneakytails.5629

Conditions now are simply stacked too quickly to really counter them fast enough. You simply cannot clear them fast enough. In the animation cast time alone of your main clear you take thousands in condition damage, your cast goes through and you do clear but right after that you are just stacked again. Most condi builds go through rotations of multiple skills with condi damage, its not just one or two skills you have to worry about getting tagged by.

The frequency of the stacks and the number of conditions stacked far far outweigh any clears.

My biggest clear on my Warrior is Signet of Stamina, it can clear up to 12 condis, but it has a 40 second cooldown. In 40 seconds most Condi builds are well into their 2nd full skill rotation, if I am not dead already by then.

Sigil of Purity has a 10 second cooldown on its clear, and its a 60% chance, not 100%. So there will be times when you do not clear when you need it to.

Other clears in the game (lets use Mending as an example) only do 1-3 conditions at a time, but again most condi build rotations are stacking way more than that. Lets say you clear 3 conditons out of 6 just stacked on you, so the 3 that are still on you are ticking for tons of damage. It just doesn’t work.

Most clears are on way too long of a cooldown to even be effective in the current condi meta. This is why resistance, esp on Warriors is way more popular.

Resistance in general is just better than condition clears and especially condi duration reduction.

in WvW

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

1) Conditions are meant to kill you. Most builds will not be 100% immune to conditions in all circumstances.

2) One rotation of condi abilities will generally not do that much damage per second. If you wait until they have hit with several rotations, or until they have finished their burst (utilities and specials that spike the condi more than usual from weapon skills) then the cleanse timer becomes far more reasonable. The key to cleanse is knowing when you need to cleanse. This could be called “learn to play” but it also just means “don’t panic” when you see conditions on your bar.

3) Warrior has access to resistance, cleanse on burst, cleanse on utility. Regular cleanses should be handling most of your issues. Resistance should supplement when your cleanses are on cooldown.

4) Resistance is a strong boon but it is limited by the ability to corrupt it or steal it or negate it. It is generally a short duration boon as well. Warriors have immunity abilities and have had them before resistance was a thing. At least boons can be corrupted and stolen. This opens up counterplay that wasn’t there before.

5) Epidemic against players who rely on resistance and turning that against their group is brilliant. It makes groups that group cleanse superior to groups that just say “bring your own condi clear” and let people decide whether resistance is enough without more cleanses. I like the idea of a skill that forces players to not just think selfishly about their own protection (resistance) and take more cleanse or coordinate group cleanse in response. That is more dynamic and requires more flexibility.

6) A better “tell” on epidemic might be appropriate given the potential power of the ability. This would also give less coordinated groups a chance to respond and avoid the epidemic even without working out a cleanse method in advance.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in WvW

Posted by: Menyus.4610

Menyus.4610

Im sorry but conditions other name is Damage over Time in other mmos they are called dots (dont get me wrong my fav type of damage), but atm they are Death in a Blink, which is a failed concept it, just look at the gears in the game, they were designed as the basic concept DoT giving you condi damage and defense, because it took time to kill someone , but with the new condi stacking system having 10+ stacks of conditons from 3 diff. type is quite common…

in WvW

Posted by: Frost.5017

Frost.5017

That many stacks of confusion can come out extremely quickly. Corruption of retaliation gives 3 stacks of confusion. Guardians can’t do anything without hemoraging loads and loads of retal. Any semi decent group uses single target corrupt/load + epi and mallyx revs are the highest priority for epi’s.

Nothing against your post specifically, but people really haven’t walked through the ‘if resistance was nerfed’ scenario fully (imo). Condi cancer has been cranked waaaayyyyy up in an attempt to get it in range of zerker meta dps for PVE. Resistance was/is needed in the wake of this design change as well as HoT (aka The Passive-Play Power Creep Expansion pack). Condi used to be an attrition style of play but post HoT that’s not so true any more. Builds used to have to make meaningful trade-offs (i.e. opportunity costs), but post HoT that philosophy has been set aside. Basically, nerfing resistance alone wouldn’t be enough but also condis and soft CCs would need looked at at the sametime (again imo), which all but guarantees that Anet won’t do anything at all in this area.

in WvW

Posted by: Thea Cherry.6327

Thea Cherry.6327

Im sorry but conditions other name is Damage over Time in other mmos they are called dots (dont get me wrong my fav type of damage), but atm they are Death in a Blink, which is a failed concept it, just look at the gears in the game, they were designed as the basic concept DoT giving you condi damage and defense, because it took time to kill someone , but with the new condi stacking system having 10+ stacks of conditons from 3 diff. type is quite common…

Did someone say dots? Ah the memorys:

:D “more dots. more dots. more dots”

in WvW

Posted by: antidote.7201

antidote.7201

I wouldn’t be more happy if they could remove condis from wvw. Battles should be power vs power

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

Be a dagger/focus ele and live forever while the enemy sends you whispers about how you can’t kill anything.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Lately, I have gone to running Lyssa runes, Shadow Step, Signet of Agility, Escapist’s Absolution, Pain Response and Trickster with Withdraw. More than a dozen times last night I was unable to clear alpha strike condi fast enough to survive in skirmish. Either I get bombed with so much condi no clear can do the job or I purge them only to be reloaded a second later.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

Lately, I have gone to running Lyssa runes, Shadow Step, Signet of Agility, Escapist’s Absolution, Pain Response and Trickster with Withdraw. More than a dozen times last night I was unable to clear alpha strike condi fast enough to survive in skirmish. Either I get bombed with so much condi no clear can do the job or I purge them only to be reloaded a second later.

Then i suggest coordinating with your allies, and getting some of them to look at this:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition#From_allies

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Then i suggest coordinating with your allies, and getting some of them to look at this:

Allies don’t help when enough condi hits to drop a player in one tick. By the time a player realizes they have been nuked, they are dead.

Besides in skirmish you don’t always get to pick your allies. Either way players should always have an option for counter play and should never be dropped in one salvo. In the current meta so much condi is flying that players get downed before they have a chance to activate a skill.

I am getting hit with 100+ stacks of damaging condi regularly now and I play mostly in small skirmish fights. That is insane levels of damage to counter especially when the damage type is all or nothing. Its not like I can put on more armor or take more condi clears…. I took them all major.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

power builds nowdays are just rare as precursor drops. trapper thief needs to go. conditions need to be toned down by 33% in dmg. give ppl more resistance skills.

and yes I tried to play condition cancer, burn guard wreck ppl easy. Its funny how easy condi gameplay is.

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

Allies don’t help when enough condi hits to drop a player in one tick. By the time a player realizes they have been nuked, they are dead.

Besides in skirmish you don’t always get to pick your allies. Either way players should always have an option for counter play and should never be dropped in one salvo. In the current meta so much condi is flying that players get downed before they have a chance to activate a skill.

I am getting hit with 100+ stacks of damaging condi regularly now and I play mostly in small skirmish fights. That is insane levels of damage to counter especially when the damage type is all or nothing. Its not like I can put on more armor or take more condi clears…. I took them all major.

100+ of any single condition would require either: an entire zerg stamping on you; or a lot of condis prestacked, then bounced with 4+ epis( probably more, considering typical zergs will be moving almost constantly).

Pick any high damage skill, target someone with it by 4+ players.
This is what is sometimes referred to as a “spike”.
Either it’s coordinated, and the skill used means nothing, or it’s sheer dumb luck that you got caught by all the aoes ( would be the same deal if you stacked a bunch of say… https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ice_Spike
along with might, fury, EA/AP/Spotter)
And as a thief ( based on the skills you listed).. well you’re inherently susceptible to spikes due to low base HP.

What you’re describing sounds like the symptom of two causes.
1) people aren’t dying to, or cleansing conditions enough generally ( common complaint attributed to resistance)
2) you make yourself sound like an easy target, and typically that is down to positioning on the battlefield. Unfortunately, you’re also fighting against your own team due to having plague carriers floating around ( aka, people with resistance and loaded up on condis).

To deal with the second, without knowing what you’re doing at all, I’d suggest not following too closely to your tag, but rather picking off the out of position enemies that get split from their zerg. Or once the battle begins to have downed players, snowball it by finishing downed enemies fast. Essentially your problem sounds like positioning, and getting condi bombed is merely one of many possible symptoms.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

100+ of any single condition would require either: an entire zerg stamping on you; or a lot of condis prestacked, then bounced with 4+ epis( probably more, considering typical zergs will be moving almost constantly).

I didn’t say 100 of one stack, I said 100 stacks of damaging condi several times in one night. Just by standing next to a Resistance Warrior in a small skirmish one Epi player can drop it like its… well you know. Last night I was on the wall when a Necro Epi’d the AC next to me and down went a few players with no chance to counter.

To deal with the second, without knowing what you’re doing at all, I’d suggest not following too closely to your tag, but rather picking off the out of position enemies that get split from their zerg. Or once the battle begins to have downed players, snowball it by finishing downed enemies fast. Essentially your problem sounds like positioning, and getting condi bombed is merely one of many possible symptoms.

I am speaking to small scale skirmish (I generally don’t zerg)…. as in not on a tag but rather a 3+ v 3+ pickup often with 15-ish total combatants. These aren’t guild groups like tRex firing up a coordinated bomb. These are eight random guys running with a couple Necros spamming Epi. If it took actual coordination to pull off routine condi bombs (like it was a year ago), I would be with you. However this is just skill spamming. Epi when traited is on a 13.5s timer. Add on a solid condi mesmer with a couple necros and the echo chamber of condi application is absurd.

Every week it seems to be getting worse as more players abandon ineffective power builds to play ever more condi-tank builds. I am not different either… I run a 22k, 3k armor thief that spams condi like it is going out of style because that is the most effective meta right now. In comparison, power builds have to typically run super glassy to do that type of damage. Not so in the condi meta.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in WvW

Posted by: hayabusafmw.9370

hayabusafmw.9370

Anet is kinda pulling a trump on the condi situation.
They are blocking everyone’s free speech.

They always say condis are in a good place working as intended. Makes no sense.
They keep deleting anything about them just so people cannot see the truth.

What’s even more terrible is when they sabotage servers by making them ’’medium’’ instead of high and locking down servers as full to force people to switch to different servers in order to control the mass. The matcheups in wvw have been t e r r i b a d for years but yet nothing is done to fix it. Now condis are beyond broken. Toughness aka tankness doesn’t affect condis nothing affects them other than removal…. = insta death at one point.

You cannot have 80 000 vitality with 8 condi removal with 1 second cooldown. At one point if an entire server runs condis i can garantee you they will win anything anytime. That how balanced that thing is.

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

I didn’t say 100 of one stack, I said 100 stacks of damaging condi several times in one night. Just by standing next to a Resistance Warrior in a small skirmish one Epi player can drop it like its… well you know. Last night I was on the wall when a Necro Epi’d the AC next to me and down went a few players with no chance to counter.

I am speaking to small scale skirmish (I generally don’t zerg)…. as in not on a tag but rather a 3+ v 3+ pickup often with 15-ish total combatants. These aren’t guild groups like tRex firing up a coordinated bomb. These are eight random guys running with a couple Necros spamming Epi. If it took actual coordination to pull off routine condi bombs (like it was a year ago), I would be with you. However this is just skill spamming. Epi when traited is on a 13.5s timer. Add on a solid condi mesmer with a couple necros and the echo chamber of condi application is absurd.

Every week it seems to be getting worse as more players abandon ineffective power builds to play ever more condi-tank builds. I am not different either… I run a 22k, 3k armor thief that spams condi like it is going out of style because that is the most effective meta right now. In comparison, power builds have to typically run super glassy to do that type of damage. Not so in the condi meta.

So you have a mesmer targeting a specific player ( one with resistance, making for an easy plague carrier). Then you have necros dropping epis on that target.. So even if it’s justu sing ctrl + t. this sounds like a premeditated effort to spike.

-aka, your complaint about epi here is a symptom of resistance working as it does now. The resistance warrior should be the one dying, not you. Which granted, sucks for you.

Dying due to someone else (who is mean’t to be your ally) always sucks, and goes against the original design of the game ( such as having your own heal skill, instead of relying on a dedicated healer.. but we know how that’s going..)

It isn’t really any different to a rev/ps loading up a couple of rangers with might and fury, along with https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22On_My_Mark!%22
before they spike with rapid fire?

Or a couple of eles before they drop
static +
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lightning_Surge
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eruption
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ice_Spike

Or even just a rev + 3 staff thieves dropping vault out of stealth..

Spam enough high dmg aoes, and the right situation for a speudo-coordinated spike will come up. & the skills I mentioned.. some are shorter CD than epi..

Getting spiked sucks, but it’s not like there is only one way to skin the kitten.
sounds like the same solution applies though. Keep your distance from the typhoid Mary(s).

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

What on earth are you, and everyone else, doing to attract so many conditions? I understand that for frontliners the problem is a lot more prevalent. They’re forced in to taking heaping wads of damage and conditions. But if you’re a Thief, or any kind of mid/backliner, you shouldn’t be getting loaded with condi’s every 5 seconds. I can literally frontline (at least during a winning push or in certain opportune situations) on a full glass vanilla Ranger. I can remove 8 conditions if I blow all of my utilities and you know how often I have to do that? Almost never. At maximum I’ll get 5 conditions on me at which point I’ll quickly retreat to recover and wait for cooldowns to come off.

You’re better off retreating for 60seconds to let your cooldowns and health come back than overextending and subsequently dying. If you’re not a frontliner, don’t frontline or if you can’t handle it, don’t do it.

As I’d said recently in other condition related threads, I’m about 99.9% certain that people are just blowing things out of proportion/have no idea how to watch the flow of a fight. As a very mediocre player and someone with motor skill issues and backwards keybinds… I should be having the same problems you are but I don’t. So I’m pretty darn sure this is L2P and/or straight up lying.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Straegen.2938

What on earth are you, and everyone else, doing to attract so many conditions? I understand that for frontliners the problem is a lot more prevalent. They’re forced in to taking heaping wads of damage and conditions. But if you’re a Thief, or any kind of mid/backliner, you shouldn’t be getting loaded with condi’s every 5 seconds. I can literally frontline (at least during a winning push or in certain opportune situations) on a full glass vanilla Ranger. I can remove 8 conditions if I blow all of my utilities and you know how often I have to do that? Almost never. At maximum I’ll get 5 conditions on me at which point I’ll quickly retreat to recover and wait for cooldowns to come off.

Epi is effectively spammable, so it only takes one Condi build to load up a player and one Necro to share those stacks of condi to five other players. If two Epis fire, that doubles. Basically a 3+ man group easily hits up to five players with a steady stream of 20+ conditions. Cleanse one set and in about 10s another set will land. Rinse and repeat until everything is dead.

Just try it. Build a tank condi necro, put epi on the bar, get into a skirmish, target one player, wait for said player to gets some condi on them and press button. Repeat every 15s until everything is dead. That is the current small scale meta.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

I have a question:

Everyone says: “Pick a target with resistance as it ususally does not cleanse its conditions”.

Metabattle says: “Epidemic will fizzle when cast on a target with resistance.”

What is true now?

in WvW

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I have a question:

Everyone says: “Pick a target with resistance as it ususally does not cleanse its conditions”.

What is true now?

They stealth nerfed epi with the gemstore update. It fizzles if you cast upon a target with resistance or upon siege.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in WvW

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

I have a question:

What is true now?

They stealth nerfed epi with the gemstore update. It fizzles if you cast upon a target with resistance or upon siege.

Thanks!

I also found the other discussion thread a few seconds ago. It was changed with the patch today. They seem to be pretty quick on metabattle.

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

Can’t say I’ve gotten epi-owned in small scale; condi owned yes, but maybe that’s just my luck. I run power and have about 15k health so I can and will get one shot by like, anything.

However, I’d like to say that a lot of this so called “advice” dispensed to Straegen here simply will not help, because simply linking skills and broad advice does not address any real world scenarios. Easier said than done, so to speak and this kind of thing I find comes across as patronizing.

Anyhow, I think the tactics described aren’t going to be effective in winning any given fight, because you have built around dying slower and not really winning a fight. So what happens is that you’re surviving, your allies die, and you’re all that’s left, which means you will either die or have to run. If your enemies know that you can’t actually kill them, then they can press whatever buttons like that.

It’s the same principle as fighting a glass thief. 90% of people get rekt by them because they panic and run. What they don’t know is the fight looks really different when they hit back.

The other thing of curiosity is how are you in 600 range of so many people to begin with? There’s little reason unless you’re ressing people. Sure, when it’s 1v1 as a thief, you can pogo stick around any time you want, but you have to be conservative when you’re subject to focus.

CC/Pressure necros. Now before you say “omfg they have 40k hp”, I didn’t say kill them. But if you can stop them from offloading their payloads as long as you can, then the rest of your group may be able to pressure the rest down, and obviously, you as a speedy thief can shift gears much faster than a necro can. Of course, if your allies are garbage, then it’s time to jet and you shouldn’t blame yourself. It’s just how the game mode works. Sometimes you will lose, and it’s not on you.

in WvW

Posted by: DanAlcedo.3281

DanAlcedo.3281

Can you play against condi? Well yes you can , BUT there is one problem.
You have to give up so much just to get to a good level of condi cleanse.

Lets take Guard for an example.
First you need to Trait Pure of Voice.
Second you need the rune of the Trooper.
Third you need to use shouts ( You mostly only use 2 shouts both have there own uses and will not be used as anto condi. So you have to use bad skills.

This means you have to take a Grandmaster slot , your rune slot and 1-2 skill slots just so you can start to think of fighting a condi Guild.

The other problem is now you used alot of slots just so you can fight condi , but on the same time you are weaker against power Guilds or other Builds.

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

Can’t say I’ve gotten epi-owned in small scale; condi owned yes, but maybe that’s just my luck. I run power and have about 15k health so I can and will get one shot by like, anything.

However, I’d like to say that a lot of this so called “advice” dispensed to Straegen here simply will not help, because simply linking skills and broad advice does not address any real world scenarios. Easier said than done, so to speak and this kind of thing I find comes across as patronizing.

Anyhow, I think the tactics described aren’t going to be effective in winning any given fight, because you have built around dying slower and not really winning a fight. So what happens is that you’re surviving, your allies die, and you’re all that’s left, which means you will either die or have to run. If your enemies know that you can’t actually kill them, then they can press whatever buttons like that.

It’s the same principle as fighting a glass thief. 90% of people get rekt by them because they panic and run. What they don’t know is the fight looks really different when they hit back.

The other thing of curiosity is how are you in 600 range of so many people to begin with? There’s little reason unless you’re ressing people. Sure, when it’s 1v1 as a thief, you can pogo stick around any time you want, but you have to be conservative when you’re subject to focus.

CC/Pressure necros. Now before you say “omfg they have 40k hp”, I didn’t say kill them. But if you can stop them from offloading their payloads as long as you can, then the rest of your group may be able to pressure the rest down, and obviously, you as a speedy thief can shift gears much faster than a necro can. Of course, if your allies are garbage, then it’s time to jet and you shouldn’t blame yourself. It’s just how the game mode works. Sometimes you will lose, and it’s not on you.

you criticize the advice I gave him (essentially watch positioning, and stay away from people loaded with condis), then question why is he within range of so many people?

Reconsider yourself before calling people patronising pls.
GG.

edit:
Also, epi now appears to have two green/black explosions. I haven’t tested when the condis get copied, but I suspect the second explosion, making it a LOT easier to dodge.

(edited by Artemis Thuras.8795)

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Can’t say I’ve gotten epi-owned in small scale; condi owned yes, but maybe that’s just my luck. I run power and have about 15k health.

Hard kiting is the strategy I find most effective in small scale fights. Talking 5v5 – 10 v 10.

Get the attention of a few players and bait them in to a chase. Assuming you’re using a build that has moderate mobility and you’re capable of using the terrain to your advantage, it’s usually quite easy to split a group apart. At which point you put some damage in and if you can get kills, great, if you can’t, keep them away from the rest of your group until they start to gain the upper hand.

Sometimes you don’t need to bait so hard that they chase you a significant distance either. Just get them offsides so they’re briefly out of the picture and it can be plenty enough time for your group to take the win.

I think I’ll lay the personal examples to rest after this comment but I’ve done a looooot of WvW and a loooot of solo/small scale… I’ve been using vanilla builds on all my characters since HoT and I’ve designed all of them with condition removal and mobility in mind. Literally the only times I’m overwhelmed by conditions are; When I get run over by a zerg, when I get jumped and caught off guard, when I get greedy against a condition Chrono. Besides that, I don’t think I’ve ever been hit by an Epi in a small scale pug v pug and rarely am I careless enough to let conditions stack on me to the point of no return. With the amount of power creep in the game, the advantage that condition builds have in armor and health isn’t much of an advantage anymore. You can easily blast through them if you plan your attacks instead of gambling them.

And PS I wasn’t directing this at you, Archon.

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

you criticize the advice I gave him (essentially watch positioning, and stay away from people loaded with condis), then question why is he within range of so many people?

GG.

edit:
Also, epi now appears to have two green/black explosions. I haven’t tested when the condis get copied, but I suspect the second explosion, making it a LOT easier to dodge.

I didn’t actually criticize you for bringing up positioning? I am not sure what you’re on about.

What I am criticizing is the general tone and oversimplification of issues, because such advice tends to go out the other ear.

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Can you play against condi? Well yes you can , BUT there is one problem.
You have to give up so much just to get to a good level of condi cleanse.

Lets take Guard for an example.
First you need to Trait Pure of Voice.
Second you need the rune of the Trooper.
Third you need to use shouts ( You mostly only use 2 shouts both have there own uses and will not be used as anto condi. So you have to use bad skills.

It’s not giving anything up if it’s going to prolong your life.

You don’t “give up” eating fatty foods, you outgrow it.

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

Can’t say I’ve gotten epi-owned in small scale; condi owned yes, but maybe that’s just my luck. I run power and have about 15k health.

Hard kiting is the strategy I find most effective in small scale fights. Talking 5v5 – 10 v 10.

Get the attention of a few players and bait them in to a chase. Assuming you’re using a build that has moderate mobility and you’re capable of using the terrain to your advantage, it’s usually quite easy to split a group apart. At which point you put some damage in and if you can get kills, great, if you can’t, keep them away from the rest of your group until they start to gain the upper hand.

Sometimes you don’t need to bait so hard that they chase you a significant distance either. Just get them offsides so they’re briefly out of the picture and it can be plenty enough time for your group to take the win.

I think I’ll lay the personal examples to rest after this comment but I’ve done a looooot of WvW and a loooot of solo/small scale… I’ve been using vanilla builds on all my characters since HoT and I’ve designed all of them with condition removal and mobility in mind. Literally the only times I’m overwhelmed by conditions are; When I get run over by a zerg, when I get jumped and caught off guard, when I get greedy against a condition Chrono. Besides that, I don’t think I’ve ever been hit by an Epi in a small scale pug v pug and rarely am I careless enough to let conditions stack on me to the point of no return. With the amount of power creep in the game, the advantage that condition builds have in armor and health isn’t much of an advantage anymore. You can easily blast through them if you plan your attacks instead of gambling them.

And PS I wasn’t directing this at you, Archon.

What you do bring up is a pretty good point. People don’t like it when you force the battle on your terms. When they come at you all grouped up and stuff, it’s pretty annoying when you refuse to go along with it.

I’m well aware that you have some experience on necro, and you probably know that necro casts tend to be…. finicky. They’re inherently slow and a good deal of their abilties have cast times.

And yea, there’s definitely more nuance (aka don’t have to run across the map) then many have suggested, and usually that amount really shows the difference in experience between people. Or a lack of caution, lol.

One thing I’ve noticed is, the larger the groups get, the more rigid they are in movement. The classic example is the zerg train in its most extreme form, but in general it’si highly exploitable given enough observation. Though it might take a few deaths to learn said info.

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

GG.

edit:

I didn’t actually criticize you for bringing up positioning? I am not sure what you’re on about.

What I am criticizing is the general tone and oversimplification of issues, because such advice tends to go out the other ear.

KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid.

Works wonders.
People in this game have a tendency to overcomplicate and overthink a problem.

in WvW

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

Conditions are so OP in wvw, which is why most people run condi builds.

I ftfy.

I am a teef
:)

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

GG.

edit:

Works wonders.

Sounds like a good slogan, and against clueless players that is fine. When people start to actually not stand there and die, then it requires a bit more nuance. There’s quite a few variables that matter. For example, like, the class you’re playing. I think that warrants a specific perspective, since I am sure that you are aware that the classes play quite a bit differently. Would you not agree the best way to help someone win fights on a thief, would be to focus on how a thief works?

And my approach is simple too. I simply read that the build used to fight was mostly described as having a lot of (self) condi clears and 3k armor. And so I asked “then what?” And there’s the problem.

There are a lot more subtle hints, like, well, perhaps some toughness could be dropped. If enough people are running condis, of which armor does nothing against, then would it help to drop armor for some other stat?

There’s just a lot more to it than that.

Positioning is just one of the things here.

And furthermore, it may only seem simple to you, because you have already learned something and thus it became second nature. This is what I think is a problem with an aging game, when people of different experience levels are talking.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

That is the thing about Epi… it doesn’t show in the combat log. Most Epi’s feel like a strong condi blast that any number of other classes can dish out so it easy to miss.

Epi’s main problems are two fold. First it scales to ridiculous levels hence players wondering how they just got 40 plus stacks of XYZ loaded on them. Second it refreshes so quickly that it is essentially a press button to deal a bunch of damage. The more condi builds there are around the stronger that skill gets.

Epi is an AoE condi cloner on a 13.5s timer with no DPS limit. Think about that in a condi-heavy meta.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

That is the thing about Epi… it doesn’t show in the combat log. Most Epi’s feel like a strong condi blast that any number of other classes can dish out so it easy to miss.

Epi’s main problems are two fold. First it scales to ridiculous levels hence players wondering how they just got 40 plus stacks of XYZ loaded on them. Second it refreshes so quickly that it is essentially a press button to deal a bunch of damage. The more condi builds there are around the stronger that skill gets.

Epi is an AoE condi cloner on a 13.5s timer with no DPS limit. Think about that in a condi-heavy meta.

But it doesn’t do anything on its own and also gives the necro self-weakness too. It requires a bit of setup; a bit more than you would think. For example, as stated before, I noted that epidemic can’t be casted in DS, for example.

Now, in bigger groups when there’s clumps everywhere, that’s when it’s troublesome.

This is probably where the skepticism comes from as posters in the thread claim to have never encountered such a thing. Now, I’m aware there’s a certain few strong groups that use this very effectively, but they’re incredibly exceptional players that take on groups much larger than themselves.

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

GG.

edit:

Works wonders.

Sounds like a good slogan, and against clueless players that is fine. When people start to actually not stand there and die, then it requires a bit more nuance. There’s quite a few variables that matter. For example, like, the class you’re playing. I think that warrants a specific perspective, since I am sure that you are aware that the classes play quite a bit differently. Would you not agree the best way to help someone win fights on a thief, would be to focus on how a thief works?

And my approach is simple too. I simply read that the build used to fight was mostly described as having a lot of (self) condi clears and 3k armor. And so I asked “then what?” And there’s the problem.

There are a lot more subtle hints, like, well, perhaps some toughness could be dropped. If enough people are running condis, of which armor does nothing against, then would it help to drop armor for some other stat?

And furthermore, it may only seem simple to you, because you have already learned something and thus it became second nature. This is what I think is a problem with an aging game, when people of different experience levels are talking.

Aye, while i don’t disagree with you, the purpose of the thread was regarding conditions, and how to cope with them.

Detailed advice on how to play better should probably be directed to the players helping players, or the class subforum. Also there is only so much we can do to help someone, without seeing them play, and observing what is actually killing them.

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

GG.

edit:

Works wonders.

Aye, while i don’t disagree with you, the purpose of the thread was regarding conditions, and how to cope with them.

Detailed advice on how to play better should probably be directed to the players helping players, or the class subforum. Also there is only so much we can do to help someone, without seeing them play, and observing what is actually killing them.

Yea, I suppose some actual in-game info is needed for that. I’m actually curious on how this is happening.

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

So wait, if I stack a bunch of base guards and some revs with healbot eles and a boatload of reapers all running chill traits with Reaper runes, your lil wiki is going to save you?

CCCP….

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

So wait, if I stack a bunch of base guards and some revs with healbot eles and a boatload of reapers all running chill traits with Reaper runes, your lil wiki is going to save you?

If the players on my server have equal or greater skill and coordination – Yes.
Knowledge is power.

Troll grade: F

(edited by Artemis Thuras.8795)

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

Trying to cleanse so hard on my charr:

Attachments:

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I prefer this method, works for every character.

Attachments:

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

So every one play bunker but the condi dmg players who am i kidding they are already bunker. What a boring game that would be and is becoming. Your counter is asking for players to put every thing into counter condi where ppl only need to do a much smaller amount to deal with power dmg. There is something wrong with that.

Condi dmg will not be fixed untill they treat it like power dmg or they start to treat power dmg like condi dmg anything less then that is a waist of time and suggestions.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

So every one play bunker but the condi dmg players who am i kidding they are already bunker. What a boring game that would be and is becoming. Your counter is asking for players to put every thing into counter condi where ppl only need to do a much smaller amount to deal with power dmg. There is something wrong with that.

Condi dmg will not be fixed untill they treat it like power dmg or they start to treat power dmg like condi dmg anything less then that is a waist of time and suggestions.

Because condi clears are tied to toughness/vitality/healing power.
/s

in WvW

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

You could just run that broken 100% Resistance uptime Warrior build. Anet would rather nerf Epidemic over making Resistance more reasonably balanced so I imagine you’ll be safe for a while. For Necros just cover your Resistance with a lot of boons stun-lock them to death before they can corrupt it.