PVP help, Getting chased down by everyone

in WvW

Posted by: Boomheadshot.7054

Boomheadshot.7054

Ok, So im new to this, And when i try to run from someone who outgears the hell out of me they always seem to catch me no matter how far away i am. how do i not get caught like this? Im playing a ranger btw.

in WvW

Posted by: The Dude.6942

The Dude.6942

send a pet that knocks then down or slows them, use ranged attacks which slow or root them, use a the horn as your second weapon, along with whatever you like as primary. you get a speed buff from one of the horn skills.

pick up a skill that lets you get out of stun/slow etc. and you should be pretty much unstoppable.

i can’t give you skill names, because im really not playing my ranger much, but that’s pretty much the way it works for everyone. cc the enemy, use swiftness on yourself, and get out of cc.

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Might want to check in with your class forum.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Boomheadshot.7054

im using a greatsword for weapon swapping and using the bird wings leaping whatever you call it. i only have a stupid cat, wolf and moa.

in WvW

Boomheadshot.7054

i guess what the real question should be is should i even be trying to wvw before i hit 80

in WvW

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

You can WvW just fine pre 80 as long as you keep your gear as up to date as possible. WvW scales your stats based on how close you are to your maximum possible stats, so if you don’t keep your gear up to date as you level you are getting further and further away from that maximum and therefore getting weaker and weaker as you level. If you’re correctly geared and above level 30 you should only be at a slight disadvantage in WvW. Also, watch out for enemies with the orb buffs because they will still easily kick your kitten

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Sunt.6835

Sunt.6835

no u cant unless u stick with siege weapons.

Gears stats are way too diff. Plus 6 Runes on gears give huge stats. Etc ….

BG

in WvW

Posted by: The Dude.6942

The Dude.6942

i guess what the real question should be is should i even be trying to wvw before i hit 80

you can wvw fine, as long as you don’t try to 1 vs 1 with lvl 80 or similar players. buy cheap gear from the tp, all with power or precision, and then always run with a few people and try to stay as far back as possible using maximum range weapons.

you’ll get a few kills if you put everything in power for instance, but you’ll die fast if caught.

in WvW

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

Yes, you can be a great help, but if you are trying to go about WvW solo, just as if you are a level 80 in full exotics, you will get killed and killed alot. Unless you’re a stealth class you will not out run a zerg while in combat mode. There will be people out of combat and they will close on you very fast.
I will tell you what I tell everyone who is new to WvW look at chat figure out whats going on and help others. I am not saying join the biggest zerg and get herded, but at least find a group of 3 and hit camps and harrass stragglers

in WvW

Posted by: Guild Wars Fan.3249

Guild Wars Fan.3249

meh, you should still be able to kill 80’s even if they are geared. You will certainly be at a disadvantage tho.

In answer to your original question, the real answer is: learn when to engage and when not to. Learn when to run and when to stick it out.

Dying is part of WvW. Doesn’t matter how well geared you are (just gets more expensive anyway). Even us thieves struggle to get away sometimes and we’re probably THE most reviled class when it comes to annoying the hell out of people using hit and run tactics

Jumping off cliffs helps too (if you have the health), especially if you have a 1 to 2 second lead. Coz when you land and fall prone, it takes a second to get back up, so if anyone follows you, theres your chance to kick the kitten out of them while they are down.

Another tactic I like to use, is to run through nearby mobs, and hit them as you go past. Get a few of them following you. If you have any ‘drop aggro’ skills, this works even better, as you can kite a few behind you and drop aggro, so they aggro onto your pursuers. If you don’t have drop aggro skills, just keep running, they will drop aggro on you after a bit, and as they run back will aggro onto your pursuers.

in WvW

Posted by: Thorus Balthazar.4730

Thorus Balthazar.4730

If you have spike trap or chill trap unlocked, if i am being pursued i like to throw down a chill trap and it will slow down everyone chasing me who runs through it.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

It’s totally possible to WvW before 80. Rangers have a tough time escaping, that’s the price of having the longest attack range in the game and a permanent minion which extends that range even farther.

I’d suggest a couple things:

1) Replace the sword with a bow. Either kind is fine. Shortbow has a skill that jumps you away from target and gives swiftness, longbow has one that knocks back and cripples target, both do the same thing but feel a bit different. Using a sword in WVW is hard to do without getting killed a lot.

2) Spend some time in the PvE world getting used to your skills. Rangers are kinda easymode against regular mobs due to the pet, so try pulling groups and attack any veterans/champions you see to get practice timing dodges/heals/etc. Players will be more complex to fight, of course, but it can help to just have the muscle memory from practice. You’ll probably level faster and cheaper that way as well, and you may even enjoy the PvE.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.