Paid transfers: will whole servers be killed?

in WvW

Posted by: Jurrzy.1594

Jurrzy.1594

Now, like many people, I recognize the fact that free transfers, in their current state, are unacceptable. There’s way too many bandwagoners. However, paid transfers were announced only a few days before the process will go live.

Because of this, I worry servers that are losing will quickly become abandoned in fear. Devona’s Rest has lost some major guilds, including those that claimed to have “server pride”. I’m not too worried for us, but I am worried for others. I worry that entire servers will just die, especially those in lower tiers.

What if, when paid transfers come in eight days, servers have populations so low that they are pretty much dead? What will the unlucky few WvW players who remain (those with true server pride) do? Scavenge for gold in PvE for a long time just to be able to enjoy their favorite activity? Pay Anet again just to enjoy their favorite activity? Furthermore, varying the price based on population makes little sense to me. It doesn’t really seem fair. Again, free transfers are rather problematic, but so is this system as well.

A system I would propose would be to just make transfers to low pop, losing servers free. Why would you pay gold/gems, even a relatively small amount, to go to a losing server with a less active community? This way, low pop servers could have the chance to recover.

Garrzz- Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Super secret strategy: fill the top servers near to capacity, merge the empty servers left behind, reduced servers = cheaper server maintenance, higher profit.

Only half serious saying this.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in WvW

Posted by: Parsee Komeiji.2049

Parsee Komeiji.2049

Why would you pay gold/gems, even a relatively small amount, to go to a losing server with a less active community?

Because ArenaNet wants you to buy gems.

Why are you being so selfish? They just want all of your money. Sheesh.

in WvW

Posted by: salluks.6017

salluks.6017

I never understood " server pride". U do realise its only a name for a piece of hardware right?
i play www cos i love it for the competition it gives and great people u meet. Being on a low sever doesn’t provide either. Instead of staying there and eventually get bored and leave, isint it better to join higher tiers and enjoy www the way its meant to be played.

(edited by salluks.6017)

in WvW

Posted by: Jurrzy.1594

Jurrzy.1594

I’m not insulting anyone, I just don’t think this is a great idea. If you guys have good ideas, please share them. And I don’t mean that in a sarcastic way, either.

Garrzz- Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

it really depend on how much we have to pay to transfer.
if it just a “small” transfer fee. it wont really affect much

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Parsee Komeiji.2049

I never understood " server pride". U do realise its only a name for a piece of hardware right?

To be fair, states are really only chunks of land which certain groups of people have claimed as their own through nothing more than brute force; furthermore, your homeland is determined mostly by chance, while your home server is entire up to you.

I’d say server pride makes a lot more sense than most of the pride people hold so close to their hearts. :x

That said… I don’t want to win, or even really to compete, but I want to be able to say “I did my best. I have no regrets.”

TBH, I enjoy sneaking into enemy keeps and kneeling before the Great Lord Flame Ram a lot more than actually fighting… usually. :x

Oh, and having emoticonversations with my opponents, hahaha.

in WvW

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

i just want fair play in wvw im tired of massive guilds rolling to lower tier servers weekly to rack up badges and whatever they get from players it is pretty much an exploit as it stands. same goes the other way around anyone can be on the #1 list simply by going to the top server.

in WvW

Posted by: Zatria.5783

Zatria.5783

To be fair, states are really only chunks of land which certain groups of people have claimed as their own through nothing more than brute force; furthermore, your homeland is determined mostly by chance, while your home server is entire up to you.

You know, you may have had something good to say, I don’t know. I stopped at the above. You really think the states were “claimed” through brute force? Sorry, but that is sad. I can assure you one thing for certain. Each state didn’t run out and have a battle to mark the boundaries.

As for server transfers, I agree with what someone mentioned above. Just let the bandwagoners finish their trek to the top, and merge the remaining servers.

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Regardless that the announcement of the end of free transfers will see many ‘panic’ transfer it has already caused imbalances being free and I’ve seen both pro’s and con’s of the system as it is and we’ve all read what has happened to alot of servers and tiers already, so allowing it to be free for lower tiers I’m not sure that’s a good idea as it is. Still people will transfer regardless like guilds from other servers could help pay part of the cost to transfer to their server and perhaps some servers may well stabilize more than before, merging servers would be one thing although the lag on EB and queues can be bad as it is but perhaps there needs to be more restrictions to where you can transfer to play your wvw.
And it be may be silly but like Parsee I do have server pride I just want to do my best for the server win or lose.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

What I find odd is the statement that server pop will decide the cost. So if I get up at 3 am I can transfer for cheaper then prime time? And heck at 4 am last night there will still no servers under heavy.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

in WvW

Posted by: Talia.7412

Talia.7412

As for server transfers, I agree with what someone mentioned above. Just let the bandwagoners finish their trek to the top, and merge the remaining servers.

I doubt many low tier servers want to be merged. As unbelievable as it is, some of us prefer being in a smaller, well bonded community where wvw is more kitten like minus the constant massive zergs and siege deadlock.

Most of us would also put community first above winning. There is much to be said about server loyalty, working together against the odds to achieve something beyond victory – That being of brotherhood and comradeship.

Charter Vanguard [CV], on HoD since the betas
http://cv.englishmist.com

in WvW

Posted by: IonusX.7905

IonusX.7905

even with the payed server transfers you all really don’t see the other effect what happens to the servers that already have great guilds and great strategies and alliances when these new guilds and other people join their less room in WvW so that these things were people know what to do is un-equal to those that don’t know what they are doing

{TNT} Tactical Night Techs “We are the last line of defense”Commander Fire Warrior Scout

in WvW

Posted by: Eshei.6803

Eshei.6803

LOLS this is too funny =D

So the new patch at the end of Jan introduce Server’s Pride… Too funny… In my opinion it’s too late. Should just keep it free transfer once every seven days and introduce guesting.

Server’s Pride is already ruin long time ago. =D

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Well is too funny too, it require gems…you can gold to gems…so basically are free transfers, you still can transfer without real money…but now you will require to use your gold in case you want to move…

I took an arrow to the knee

in WvW

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

Yep, paid transfers won’t ruin wvw though, don’t worry.

Wvw ruined wvw long ago when it played like a pre-alpha.

Sorry for anyone who has to stick through it for world completion!

Their only reason to separate servers like this is wvw, a pre-alpha. We could have had better battles where you join a side that has storyline significance.. and we could have had more community. We also could have had the odds evened via temporary team changes (peek at how tribes does it) for balance so the game mode would have been more fun.

Nope, who needs storyline, community or meaningful battles?

Why is wvw great? Is it the spies? Maybe its the times they occupy your server with afk bots to gain a statistical advantage? The exploits? The culling? The fact they try to balance every other game mode around it and end up hurting the enjoyment of those?
Is it the maps? Is it the fact that its fun to explore three additional maps that are all the same where its evident you enjoyed pve.. after all you want map completion right? Hope your server is doing well and not outnumbered 24/7 or against a pact your two enemies formed?

Couldn’t things have been better in some other way? A way where each game modes fans didn’t have their game mode stepped on by the other one?

Get rid of the wvw servers, it just divides the community for boring reasons. Divide it for storyline significant reasons! Let us all pick our server (it works for other games) and pick a side in a battle.. storyline significant side. You know, something that isn’t shallow. It would be cool and fun. Make it possible to switch sides through effort.. make temporary team balancing possible (if a person from the winning side is switched, they get benefits from both.. they have incentive to do well: See the new tribes and similar games).

It would also eliminate alot of the wvw drama.

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

in WvW

Parsee Komeiji.2049

Yep, paid transfers won’t ruin wvw though, don’t worry.

Wvw ruined wvw long ago when it played like a pre-alpha.

Sorry for anyone who has to stick through it for world completion!

Their only reason to separate servers like this is wvw, a pre-alpha. We could have had better battles where you join a side that has storyline significance.. and we could have had more community. We also could have had the odds evened via temporary team changes (peek at how tribes does it) for balance so the game mode would have been more fun.

Nope, who needs storyline, community or meaningful battles?

Why is wvw great? Is it the spies? Maybe its the times they occupy your server with afk bots to gain a statistical advantage? The exploits? The culling? The fact they try to balance every other game mode around it and end up hurting the enjoyment of those?
Is it the maps? Is it the fact that its fun to explore three additional maps that are all the same where its evident you enjoyed pve.. after all you want map completion right? Hope your server is doing well and not outnumbered 24/7 or in a pact with the other server that you are against.

Couldn’t things have been better in some other way? A way where each game modes fans didn’t have their game mode stepped on by the other one?

I think it’s the flame rams.

…and giant enemy grubs.

in WvW

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

i play www cos i love it for the competition it gives and great people u meet. Being on a low sever doesn’t provide either. Instead of staying there and eventually get bored and leave, isint it better to join higher tiers and enjoy www the way its meant to be played.

You mean by having invisible 60 man zergs run into eachother spamming their 1 ability untill they die, and that is when they see who they were actually fighting?
Yup, I’m sure everyone in the lower tier servers wants to be part of that.

in WvW

Posted by: Ramic.2346

Ramic.2346

The free transfers “killed” servers every month(atleast in Europe Ranking) and when they introduced the paid transfers it started to “kill” some servers for sure but that will be one time and after that it will be stable, no more massive guilds changing servers every week.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I have pride of my country, but it’s just a large pile of dirt.

in WvW

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

i do agree that bouncing between servers just for wvw must stop

in WvW

Posted by: Kratox.9150

Kratox.9150

Gunnar’s Hold-EU has been in t8 for the past 3-4 weeks, and in those past weeks i had a lot of fun in WvW due to our server giving its all to achieve victory.
I doubt Desolation has ever reached t7 or t8 so i would refrain jumping to conclusions and say that it’s boring or that we aren’t playing WvW “the way it’s meant to be played”.
Our server went from t3 to t8 in a couple of months, being stomped week after week due to bandwagoners wasn’t fun.
In t8 we found balance, and from there we started to organize again.
Now we got a huge influx of players transfering on GH that will probably lead us in t5-t4.

Morale is; it doesn’t matter if you are in t1 or in t8, if the matches are balanced you’ll have fun for sure.
No one has fun being stomped every week, but thats due to a flawed system that i hope will be fixed with paid transfers and future patches revolving around WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

I actually kind of hope this happens, OP. As a Bender one of the things I enjoyed was our community and teamwork in smaller groups fighting tooth and nail for what we could get. However lately it’s just been facing huge zergs after huge zergs. Ideally all the zergers will move on to form their hour long queue’d ‘superservers’ and within a week or two the abandoned servers will stabilize together into actual FUN WvW battles again with many small groups fighting it out across the maps instead of huge culling issue blob vs smaller culling issue blob.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Denis.9286

Denis.9286

The Problem is:

If transfers to lower tier servers will be cheaper than transfers to higher populated servers , everything will go on like having free transfers.
Guilds will buy Gems for gold to transfer to low tier servers and dominate the lower brackets. When their server got higher ranked they will join the next lowlevel server…

Please Anet , make every servertransfer cost 1000 Gems – no matter which server

Praetorians [KoA]

R.I.P Kodash Allianz

in WvW

Posted by: salluks.6017

salluks.6017

Gunnar’s Hold-EU has been in t8 for the past 3-4 weeks, and in those past weeks i had a lot of fun in WvW due to our server giving its all to achieve victory.
I doubt Desolation has ever reached t7 or t8 so i would refrain jumping to conclusions and say that it’s boring or that we aren’t playing WvW “the way it’s meant to be played”.
Our server went from t3 to t8 in a couple of months, being stomped week after week due to bandwagoners wasn’t fun.
In t8 we found balance, and from there we started to organize again.
Now we got a huge influx of players transfering on GH that will probably lead us in t5-t4.

Morale is; it doesn’t matter if you are in t1 or in t8, if the matches are balanced you’ll have fun for sure.
No one has fun being stomped every week, but thats due to a flawed system that i hope will be fixed with paid transfers and future patches revolving around WvW.

I was actually on fsp since release . But moved to deso when fsp hit tier 5. I play on gmt +4. I used to not see another soul for 20-30 mins in tier 6. So i moved to deso as a lot of my timezone from ME play there. The worst thing in www according to me is not having ppl round. recourse culling is a problem in higher tiers but it is getting fixed this month itself or atheist a part of it.

in WvW

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

I actually am a bit concerned that a lot of “last minute” transfers might happen and you wont know what you “got” until few days later.

They did say though that moving to low pop server will be cheap (they could provide “targeted” transfers to low pop servers for free in the future), and moving to high pop costly (no price tags yet though).

Guess will have to wait and see…

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

in WvW

Posted by: krazycarl.4580

krazycarl.4580

Guys forgive me for butting in here, but when are the “free transfers” going to stop? Has that been announced?

in WvW

Posted by: Kratox.9150

Kratox.9150

Guys forgive me for butting in here, but when are the “free transfers” going to stop? Has that been announced?

With the 28th patch

in WvW

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

We have no idea how much it will cost to transfer to servers. One of the developers said high population ones will be very expensive and low populations will be very inexpensive.

This could range from 10 gold to less than 1 gold. I doubt anyone would complain of the latter. Let’s just withhold judgement until the patch goes out.

in WvW

Posted by: Garrus.5089

Garrus.5089

You can call me mad but I think that you’ll actually see some people moving downwards to lower tier servers.
WsR just had a few people move in who were bored out of their eye sockets of constant deadlocks and battling the same 2 servers every week.

People seem to be flocking like the apocalypse is coming, to a higher server just because it’ll cost them more to move to a server of high population when there’s nothing wrong with their server anyway.

Traxus Ironsmoke – Iron Legion Engineer
“IT’S THE RED WIRE!”