Patch notes - Still no reward for support?

in WvW

Posted by: wakko.5248

wakko.5248

I thought this would be higher on the priority list as its pretty obvious to me. Supporting players should also contribute for rewards! ArenaNet, some of us actually enjoy playing support. We dont just want to kill all the time to get rewarded!

No reward for support is the main reason why I dont play WvW anymore..

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

I thought this would be higher on the priority list as its pretty obvious to me. Supporting players should also contribute for rewards! ArenaNet, some of us actually enjoy playing support. We dont just want to kill all the time to get rewarded!

You are not forced to play a “support only” class.
Hince ridding the traditional “Holy trinity” of Tank/DPS/Support.

You can be more “support based” but you can also deal damage and get rewards the same.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

You can be more “support based” but you can also deal damage and get rewards the same.

I dont see why in a team-focused enviroment fully supporting your team should get you nothing. Just because you are not forced to be support only doesnt mean you shouldnt get rewarded for it. You are not forced to play offense class either but you obviously have to if you want badges.

If someone spends the whole time cycling through heal skills to keep their team alive so they can defeat another possibly larger group they should get rewarded for it.
It doesnt take anything away from anyone else to reward ppl for team playing.

I dont think the point was to end the holy trinity just to make it so you arent restricted by it.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

I dont see why in a team-focused enviroment fully supporting your team should get you nothing. Just because you are not forced to be support only doesnt mean you shouldnt get rewarded for it. You are not forced to play offense class either but you obviously have to if you want badges.

If someone spends the whole time cycling through heal skills to keep their team alive so they can defeat another possibly larger group they should get rewarded for it.

I dont think the point was to end the holy trinity just to make it so you arent restricted by it.

If 1 person has to cycle through their healing skills in WvW and that’s all they do, then the players you are supporting are doing something wrong.

I play a glass cannon built Elementalist. Sometimes I pull myself from DPS to heal people, then change attunement and go back to damaging foes. I also know a support built elementalist who pulls himself from healing to dps a bit.

If the people you are playing with rely on only you, not 1 other person to out heal the damage they take in WvW then you might want to speak to them, and say “Hey Im not just a healer”.

Any player that only does 1 thing, with the variety Anet gave classes is not making full use of their class. Yes you can have a preference, however it’s not forced.

It’s all about teamwork. The game was not designed for 1 “player” to do all dps, 1 for all tanking, 1 for all healing.

Also: please learn to quote correctly. (You quoted my name incorrectly, and it got filtered.)

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

(edited by Mishi.7058)

in WvW

Posted by: Ignicity.7938

Ignicity.7938

If you want to get rewarded by playing a purely supportive role, why not just ask the team that you’re supporting to give you drops and gold?

Unless of course A-Net is forcing you to play support, in which case… yea, there’s an issue here.

/sarcasm

\ig-nis-i-tee\
Ignicity – 80 Necromancer
Unreal Aussies [uA] – Isle of Janthir

(edited by Ignicity.7938)

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

If 1 person has to cycle through their healing skills in WvW and that’s all they do, then the players you are supporting are doing something wrong.

I play a glass cannon built Elementalist. Sometimes I pull myself from DPS to heal people, then change attunement and go back to damaging foes. I also know a support built elementalist who pulls himself from healing to dps a bit.

If the people you are playing with rely on only you, not 1 other person to out heal the damage they take in WvW then you might want to speak to them, and say “Hey Im not just a healer”.

Any player that only does 1 thing, with the variety Anet gave classes is not making full use of their class. Yes you can have a preference, however it’s not forced.

It’s all about teamwork. The game was not designed for 1 “player” to do all dps, 1 for all tanking, 1 for all healing.

Also: please learn to quote correctly. (You quoted my name incorrectly, and it got filtered.)

I clicked the quote button so i dont know why your name got filtered

I still dont see how getting loot for supporting would negativly affect anyone so I think you are just tryin to be contradictive.

You also managed to explain it just fine, you can do a variety of things with each class as far as tanking, dps, support and healing but you only get rewarded for dealing damage. So no Anet is not forcing you to play a specific role but they do have it so you only get rewarded for playing one.

This isnt sPvP so your learn 2 play type comments mean nothing to me, WvW was supposed to be a much less competitive form of PvP for people who are either new or don’t do well in smaller 1v1 PvP groups. So if someone wants to run around only supporting their group because they are better at fighting then good for them.

Why argue against someone getting rewarded for helping get kills, did they not earn some loot for healing and buffing!?

(lol your name must be naughty)

in WvW

CriSPeH.8512

If you want to get rewarded by playing a purely supportive role, why not just ask the team that you’re supporting to give you drops and gold?

Unless of course A-Net is forcing you to play support, in which case… yea, there’s an issue here.

/sarcasm

Hmm…

Offensive role = loot
Supportive role = nothing

I guess they arent forcing you….but one sure sounds better than the other

kitten /p>

in WvW

Ignicity.7938

You didn’t answer my question.

\ig-nis-i-tee\

in WvW

Ignicity.7938

I hate it when people quote themselves, so let me repeat the question, solely for your benefit (I know how hard scrolling up can be).

\ig-nis-i-tee\

in WvW

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

The current reward system is completely broken. You can arrive at a keep, drop all the siege, then kill an incoming enemy group all by yourself, and get no participation – just because you happened to kill them 1m outside of the radius. Ofc the fact the zerg got in because of your siege means nothing. Hey you only spend a bunch of silver and tried to help by doing supply runs to build the siege, couse no one else carries any. Nor does it count you revived some people on the way. Yep, you did nothing to receive a reward. //sarcasm

in WvW

Posted by: Cavalorn.8057

Cavalorn.8057

Is anyone actually talking about playing a ‘support only’ class?

Seems to me the issue is simply that you get more rewards for killing the enemy than you do for killing the enemy while defending your own team. We have a mix of skills, but the use of support skills in wvwvw isn’t incentivised in the same way that damaging skills is.

It’s not a matter of wanting to just spam heals and be rewarded for it.

in WvW

Posted by: Rishara.1684

Rishara.1684

This is why I changed my ele build from the water/pump healing build to a pure dps build. Sure, I could dps with my “heal” build, which I did, but with the damage being lower, I got fewer badges. After switching to more of a dps fire build, I seem to get far more badges. The heals still get thrown around but they are much weaker than before. Sure, you don’t have defined roles, but you do get screwed if you want to take on more of a support role so the OP has a legitimate point.

Yes, they said they were getting rid of the trinity but you could play any of those roles if you set your build up properly. Sure you can, you just won’t be rewarded as much as a pure dps’er. Pretty lame really.

in WvW

Posted by: raenen.5807

raenen.5807

I changed my guardian from support to dps for same reason. I enjoy doing dps with some support but wvw is just about kills not teamwork.

in WvW

Posted by: InterSlayer.5821

InterSlayer.5821

People who want to play support just need to remember to tag some damage in, and as long as the players their team is fighting dies, everyone who tagged in some measure of damage usually gets a chance at loot.

So if you want to be the support person with crazy heals and whatnot, just remember to tag in some damage while you waiting inbetween your 30-45 second cool downs.

in WvW

Posted by: Kuari.8106

Kuari.8106

There really is no logical reason why support actions shouldn’t give some level of contribution for loot drop chances. It would need to be a significantly lower chance though to account for the fact that it’d affect a vastly larger number of loot drops.

Really, even if support specced people throw some damage in, the chance of loot seems to be based on HOW MUCH damage they do.

in WvW

Posted by: Kracin.6078

Kracin.6078

i support giving support/defensive people more loots.. why?

because the game itself supports defensive actions!!!!

currently loot drops solely based on how much damage you drop on an npc befor eit dies… ifyou get a certain percentage of the damage, you get the credit… not enough dps? no credit. same for player kills (unless you finish).

what happens if you stand in a keep, and repair a wall and push people off the door, and snare people, and heal allies, etc…. you get rewards for defending.

you go and you push a point, all the while you are being supportive, throwing out aoe buffs, aoe heals, walls, bubbles, waterfalls of epic healing, whatever you feel like that is supporting the push… eventually you cap… you get credit for standing in that circle, you got to the end of the road, and get the reward.

but then we come to killing… and apparently if you want badges….if you want player dropped loot… if you want any form of reward for fighting in skirmishes that don’t involve taking a point, you get next to no loot unless you start throwing out damage..

in my eyes, keeping your players up and running, is just as valuable as throwing out random pop shots into a crowd to damage the enemy… the longer you people stay up, the better the chance they have at winning the fight. it needs some sort of evening tool to help those who choose to be more supportive and less damage centric.

im not saying PURE support needs a reward.. no… you should be doing some sort of damage.. but playing a split role of damage/support and anything else, shouldn’t be at such a huge disadvantage to people playing pure damage roles.

they did say it themselves that people weren’t meant to play 1 specific role, and everyone has to take care of themselves… thats why everyone has a heal, etc…. except right now, they are catering specifically to dps centric builds only in skirmishes and non capture point related exp and drops, which goes against their claims of not having the specific roles like a trinity…..

a guy who stacks power crit% and crit-damage may have a number 6 to heal himself for 5k… but that doesn’t make him an all around… it makes him a dps spec with 1 heal.