Penalty for DC'ing?

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I just read this from the update notes:
“World Versus World
Characters that disconnect during combat grant rewards to their opponent, and suffer penalties as though they have been killed.”

What I don’t understand is, if your character gets DC ’d through no fault of your own, how does this constitute a fair situation? I have not played much WvWvW but one time I did I got disconnected and had to restart the game. It was not my fault…so now Anet implements this?

I understand the need to counter players using Alt +F4 to disengage from combat in order to exploit the game to prevent death or damage. But it doesn’t seem to make any sense if it is not your fault you get DC’d through no action of your own, just because the game/your pc locked up.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

The other solution is that you stand idle for 10-30 seconds and the enemy kills you anyway.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

when you DC tooo much you should fix it with your provider not arenanet with you

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

The other solution is that you stand idle for 10-30 seconds and the enemy kills you anyway.

The time I got DC’d during the WvWvW event was when I was in a safe spot inside a keep while folks were battling it out on the other side of the walls. My character did not die, I just got DC’d from the game.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

Its a way to solve the alt f4 thing, alot of players are using that to get away from a death stopping others from getting bags of loot.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

The time I got DC’d during the WvWvW event was when I was in a safe spot inside a keep while folks were battling it out on the other side of the walls. My character did not die, I just got DC’d from the game.

It only kills you if you’re actively engaged in combat though, so being inside while something else is going on relatively far away from you isn’t really relevant to the change.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: shkabo.4856

shkabo.4856

The math is simple behind this.
If you’re in combat while dc’ing enemy player gets reward as if you were killed. You get your armor a bit broken and downed penalty.

Shkaboo [JuG]
Support/Controll Guardian
Desolation

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

If it is an internet issue, you’re out of the fight anyway. This is just a way to reward the players who were getting kitten off with people Alt-F4’ing. It’s just a death stat to you, it means nothing.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

its only a flipping 2 silver repair ._.
unless you literally dc several dozen times the cost is insignificant.

Moral of the story
don’t play if you are disconnecting every 5 minutes or alt-f4 every time you are about ot die.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

It’s a chance to get loot worth way less than 2 silver… My game crashes around every 30 to 40 minutes in wvw or LA only. How would you feel, for example 1 mob locks you in combat, then you d/c and you find a broken piece of gear? I know there are people with similar issues… was the alt+f4 issue so big that arenanet had to penalise us? If you alt+f4 you are out of the combat way longer than simply dieing anyway, please, do so I am at war, not at grind fest for badges.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

It’s a chance to get loot worth way less than 2 silver… My game crashes around every 30 to 40 minutes in wvw or LA only. How would you feel, for example 1 mob locks you in combat, then you d/c and you find a broken piece of gear? I know there are people with similar issues… was the alt+f4 issue so big that arenanet had to penalise us? If you alt+f4 you are out of the combat way longer than simply dieing anyway, please, do so I am at war, not at grind fest for badges.

If your game crashes that often you have other issues with either your computer or your internet connection. This game does not crash that often on its own and because other people have issues simply means they have a problem with their internet connection or computer as well. There are a great many other things that can cause your game to crash that are not the game itself.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: shkabo.4856

shkabo.4856

If you are in PvP combat, then you get penalty. On the other hand, you might thinking to get a better connection than dial-up since that’s the problem in your case.
A lot of people at the same place, your connection get flodded w/ information, and since it can’t handle it, disconnect happens.
tl;dr: your PC doesn’t respond with PONG on Anet’s PING

Shkaboo [JuG]
Support/Controll Guardian
Desolation

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Sylosis.7125

Sylosis.7125

My targets are now jumping from cliffs to suicide rather than the old alt f4……haha love it

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

My targets are now jumping from cliffs to suicide rather than the old alt f4……haha love it

You still get bags for that, which was the main complaint about alt+f4.

I think its a great update to stop Alt+F4.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

when you DC tooo much you should fix it with your provider not arenanet with you

Your viewpoint is too naive imo. Each death and repair bill cost 1 silver 64 bronze. A single DC server wide will probably affect let say 10,000 players active in combat (assuming each server supporting 25,000 players of which only 10,000 players are in active combat) and chalk up a total repair bill of 164 golds. Taken across a server farm of 30 servers, a data center wide DC will reap Anet a total of 4920 golds. Not a bad commercial initiatives I must say.

Furthermore, if you have played WoW, you would have known that there is an exploit out there that can mass DC player in battleground. I hope that exploit don’t work in GW2, but I am not too sure.

If you think DC is not an issue with Anet or anybody other than your internet service provider, think twice. Don’t be too kitten sure.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Assassinin.4963

You still get bags for that, which was the main complaint about alt+f4.

I think its a great update to stop Alt+F4.

It does address the alt-f4 issues thankfully, but I stop at calling it a great update. It will create further problem down the road.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Assassinin.4963

Geez … is Anet gonna remove all cliffs from WvW next?

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I think there was no need to place a penalty to begin with. If players decide to alt-f4, they have to go through a process of re-queueing etc which is time consuming. Ultimately, the players have achieved their objective in terms of removing this player. On the other hand, sometimes you get bugged and STAY in combat and will be UNABLE to get out of combat unless you kill something which (which sometimes helps) or it doesn’t. That means that this player will be forced to have a penalty regardless what he does.

IF they really wanted to fix this, all they had to do was force alt-f4 to have a 5-10 second log out timer or a simple command prompt would be sufficient even. The penalty is unnecessary.

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: ElDudemeister.5108

ElDudemeister.5108

The definition of “in combat” is probably a little vaguer than you guys think. I left the game last night thinking that I wasn’t in combat, but probably due to the culling changes that were recently added that cause enemies to be invisible until it is too late to see them, I woke up dead in Lion’s Arch this morning.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: TitaniumDog.3054

TitaniumDog.3054

Personally I think A.Net are obsessed with goldsinks and farming hence the penalty though as other people have said elsewhere that’s what MMO’s are, farming and grinding, buy another game for the story or fun.

I’m a chronic alt-f4’er though as I only play 1/2-1hour WWW a night mainly on JP I doubt if anyone really cares unless you’re camping the jp. As a casual player my thought is why not use the carrot rather than the stick to stop alt-f4 by
1) rewarding the kill on dc
2) removing repair costs
3) giving players 1c for being killed.

This could encourage more (casual) players into www as well as stop alt-f4ing.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

Your viewpoint is too naive imo. Each death and repair bill cost 1 silver 64 bronze. A single DC server wide will probably affect let say 10,000 players active in combat (assuming each server supporting 25,000 players of which only 10,000 players are in active combat) and chalk up a total repair bill of 164 golds. Taken across a server farm of 30 servers, a data center wide DC will reap Anet a total of 4920 golds. Not a bad commercial initiatives I must say.

Furthermore, if you have played WoW, you would have known that there is an exploit out there that can mass DC player in battleground. I hope that exploit don’t work in GW2, but I am not too sure.

If you think DC is not an issue with Anet or anybody other than your internet service provider, think twice. Don’t be too kitten sure.

You don’t seem to understand, it has already been stated that this change only affects players in World vs World that disconnect while in combat. It doesn’t effect people randomly walking across Gendarran Fields or whatever.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

The definition of “in combat” is probably a little vaguer than you guys think. I left the game last night thinking that I wasn’t in combat, but probably due to the culling changes that were recently added that cause enemies to be invisible until it is too late to see them, I woke up dead in Lion’s Arch this morning.

You can tell if you’re in combat or not fairly easily by looking at your utility skills. If you can’t change them, then you’re in combat.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Ayana.7206

Ayana.7206

I did have loading screen freezy today when I tried to join wvw.. was forced to close the game. And yes, when I logged back I was dead in LA. Getting killed for that is kinda lame when you shouldn’t even be in combat or even have the possibility since you are loading in.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

You can tell if you’re in combat or not fairly easily by looking at your utility skills. If you can’t change them, then you’re in combat.

Yeah, the skill bar glows yellow. Not really hard to tell =P

[AoN] All or Nothing

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

What I don’t understand is why are people so obsessed with getting a puny, often-than-not useless white salvage (OK, maybe a badge or two once in a while). When I see players disappear, I just call it my win and move on.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: TitaniumDog.3054

TitaniumDog.3054

What I don’t understand is why are people so obsessed with getting a puny, often-than-not useless white salvage (OK, maybe a badge or two once in a while). When I see players disappear, I just call it my win and move on.

How else are ppl meant to pay for armor repairs. Sure the good players will rarely die or earn enough without thinking about it, but maybe for the average casual player, WvWvW is 50% accounting and checking your gold balance, and 50% playing. Costs do mount up if you’re just mucking around so it’s good to either have a budget in WvWvW, adopt a play style that minimises penalties or ensure rewards are being given for playing (i.e alt-f4 loot).

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Caveth.3268

Caveth.3268

I don’t understand why Arenenet has to punish EVERYONE for what a few people do with Alt+F4. My game crashed today and we had a HUMONGOUS zerg, there was absolutely no way I could have died during the fight. Yet, I get a repair cost because my game crashes… Honestly, repair costs were already inhibiting me enough from wanting to play WvW, but now this is just too far.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

How else are ppl meant to pay for armor repairs. Sure the good players will rarely die or earn enough without thinking about it, but maybe for the average casual player, WvWvW is 50% accounting and checking your gold balance, and 50% playing. Costs do mount up if you’re just mucking around so it’s good to either have a budget in WvWvW, adopt a play style that minimises penalties or ensure rewards are being given for playing (i.e alt-f4 loot).

Fair enough, but I don’t think anyone play purely WvW where it’s their only source of money. When I play WvW, I’m sure to burn some cash more than what I take in. My take on this is that players who alt-f4 are “not serious” about WvW (they’re are just there for the hell of it, maybe got bored in PVE land), otherwise you wouldn’t mind the small repair cost and the hassle logging back in, queuing, then running across the map.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

Loading screen bug in WvW due to Anet poor coding.
AltF4/CAD to close frozen game.
Log back in, dead 2 silvers poorer due to Anet poor game mechanics.
How did anyone at this company get a job in game industry?

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Greens Daily Ritual.9025

Greens Daily Ritual.9025

If you are in PvP combat, then you get penalty. On the other hand, you might thinking to get a better connection than dial-up since that’s the problem in your case.
A lot of people at the same place, your connection get flodded w/ information, and since it can’t handle it, disconnect happens.
tl;dr: your PC doesn’t respond with PONG on Anet’s PING

You are wrong about PvP combat only. You can go out and fight a damn fly, pig, or w/e and dc and you will STILL get a penalty. So you get a penalty for a DC just being near a NPC.

Leader – Swords of the Immortals [SOTI]
Greens Mystic – Mesmer | Google Deez – Ranger
Dragonbrand since day 1

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Greens Daily Ritual.9025

I did the same. No big deal.

Dragonbrand since day 1

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Conspiracy theories are fun. I’ve never once disconnected in wvwvw but the leader of the guild I’m in disconnects quite often.

Since we’re both playing the same game and mine is perfectly stable the only difference can be our computers or internet connections.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Greens Daily Ritual.9025

There are many problems with this and Anet has chosen to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to it. Whatever their motivation for some things might be, it seems a bit shady to me. Getting locked into a combat mode (yes it does happen), running across a perma stealth thief made even more glorified by Anet’s inability to resolve the culling issue, you suffer the same penalty for trying to get away from an NPC or a DC penalty just for being near one (Have the NPCs been complaining about alt-f4 again because they’re not getting their stinking badges?), the fact that this forces players to choose between possible high repair costs or constant zerging (which in itself is merely a mass of people mass spamming skills) and makes it a numbers game instead of skill. Oh and don’t get me started on the Breakout Events. I thought it was April Fools day because that’s the biggest joke I’ve seen to date in this game.
Even though Anet has taken so much fun out of my past ability to enjoy some solo game play in WvW, I still refuse to pay for armor repairs there. I simply remove all of my armor and continue to alt-f4 as I did in the past when necessary. Sure it makes my character a little weaker, but I’ve got the skill to pull it off.
Should have listened to players Anet, just remove the armor repair costs in PvP environments. There’s none in Spvp. Why WvW? Repair costs removed = Problem solved.

Dragonbrand since day 1

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Greens Daily Ritual.9025

Conspiracy theories are fun. I’ve never once disconnected in wvwvw but the leader of the guild I’m in disconnects quite often.

Since we’re both playing the same game and mine is perfectly stable the only difference can be our computers or internet connections.

The problem is not always the ISP or PC. The problem occurs a LOT more at Anet than one might think. I had been having random DC problems and decided to place a monitor program at each step of a trace route right up to Anet’s servers. In other words, I could measure and calculate network data at every point and determine any data/packet loss or timeouts. Nine times out of ten the problem was at Anet’s front door.

Dragonbrand since day 1

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

This is what I get every 30-40 mins ONLY in WvW and LA. Anyone knows idea what can be done, or what is causing it? I changed drivers, put everything either off or “best performance”… nope not working.

Attachments:

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

did you run a RAM test already?

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Yea.. I’m not going back in WvW anytime soon unless they change this. Mayb if it’s SUPER safe…dying to d/c is just plain stupid

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Assassinin.4963

You don’t seem to understand, it has already been stated that this change only affects players in World vs World that disconnect while in combat. It doesn’t effect people randomly walking across Gendarran Fields or whatever.

I hate to use this word on people, but alas I had to use it on you again. You are naive to think that it only affect WvW. It may be true for NOW.

If there are a lot of people out there who alt-f4 in PVE and in the process suffers Anet repair bill revenue, you think Anet will not extend this implementation to cover every aspects of the game?

Remember that Anet officially classify WvW as PVE. So now we have double standard in the implementation of PVE zone disconnect and repair bill. Do WvW player deserve less than other GW2 PVE player?

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: graverr.6473

graverr.6473

Everyone was exlpoiting this big time.You can’t really fool me into believing that everyone that i ever saw “Dc” just before i was to apply the finisher.I have almost 5k kills in WvW and i mostly run solo,that means i made at least half of those kills in 1v1s and 1v2s(not zerg tagging)and i can say NEVER and i repeat NEVER one opponent Dced while he had the upper hand while also every time i saw someone with “poor connectivity” it only happened when they were about to die.seen this hundred of times.I am not a statistician but i would dare to say nobody the cases of random disconnects in a fight are less than 1% and if you are one of those than Anet is really not responsible and should not obscure the majority of their playerbase because such a small minority.As far as i’m concerned Anet made a 1st good step against griefers.If you can’t take a beating then stick to pve,also if the connectivity is poor contact your internet provider and stop ruining the fun of ppl who already did so in the 1st place with conspiracy theories.

Mini Somales -Seven Instincts- [siN]

(edited by graverr.6473)

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Rob.7624

Rob.7624

I character select to get out of WvW and back into my exact standing spot in LA.
People who alt+f4 is their own loss.
Dying is a part of WvW and shouldn’t need to be countered.

Its like someone refusing to pick up loot bags and anet countering it by forcing people to auto pick.

Commander Bird Song
Northern Shiverpeaks Night Crew
Os Guild

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: JStyle.1423

JStyle.1423

lmao… hopefully next patch Anet will count suicide jumps while in combat as a kill then

Jimmy Rstles – lvl 80 Ranger | Leader of Valhalla Hungers [VH] | Crystal Desert

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

lmao… hopefully next patch Anet will count suicide jumps while in combat as a kill then

They already are (always have been) if you’ve done the standard required damage amount.

[AoN] All or Nothing

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

I hate to use this word on people, but alas I had to use it on you again. You are naive to think that it only affect WvW. It may be true for NOW.

If there are a lot of people out there who alt-f4 in PVE and in the process suffers Anet repair bill revenue, you think Anet will not extend this implementation to cover every aspects of the game?

Remember that Anet officially classify WvW as PVE. So now we have double standard in the implementation of PVE zone disconnect and repair bill. Do WvW player deserve less than other GW2 PVE player?

This was the same guy who posted a thread about how someone found a counter to his Alt-F4ing and said everyone who showed a modicum of sportsmanship by not Alt-F4-ing when downed was dumb.

Ignore the troll.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

Right, I’m the naive one. I’m not the one crying my eyes out over something that won’t happen.

What the hell is repair bill revenue, by the way? I don’t think you understand how any of this works.

This was the same guy who posted a thread about how someone found a counter to his Alt-F4ing and said everyone who showed a modicum of sportsmanship by not Alt-F4-ing when downed was dumb.

Ignore the troll.

Thanks, I should have read more before posting. As Trahearne would say: “Moving on.”

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

This is what I get every 30-40 mins ONLY in WvW and LA. Anyone knows idea what can be done, or what is causing it? I changed drivers, put everything either off or “best performance”… nope not working.

If someone finds out i’d love to know too….I’ve submitted a billion of those reports and nothing has changed.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

Or have the penalty only apply if you’re in a downed state.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: OCDouglas.5401

OCDouglas.5401

d/c needs a nerf. 1 shot me faster than thieves or warriors.

Penalty for DC'ing?

in WvW

Greens Daily Ritual.9025

Everyone was exlpoiting this big time.You can’t really fool me into believing that everyone that i ever saw “Dc” just before i was to apply the finisher.I have almost 5k kills in WvW and i mostly run solo,that means i made at least half of those kills in 1v1s and 1v2s(not zerg tagging)and i can say NEVER and i repeat NEVER one opponent Dced while he had the upper hand while also every time i saw someone with “poor connectivity” it only happened when they were about to die.seen this hundred of times.I am not a statistician but i would dare to say nobody the cases of random disconnects in a fight are less than 1% and if you are one of those than Anet is really not responsible and should not obscure the majority of their playerbase because such a small minority.As far as i’m concerned Anet made a 1st good step against griefers.If you can’t take a beating then stick to pve,also if the connectivity is poor contact your internet provider and stop ruining the fun of ppl who already did so in the 1st place with conspiracy theories.

If you consider this griefing then you obviously never played GW1. You get that bent over losing a POSSIBLE badge or some junk, then you take a GAME way too seriously.

Dragonbrand since day 1