Perverse Incentives: Outnumbered

in WvW

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

Being on an outnumbered map is all but required for good pip gain. +5 is a ludicrous improvement over +3, the modifier for having your world leading and the next-best available gain. No matter if you get +0 or +7 from rank, +5 from outnumbered is still huge. This causes people to constantly shift maps whenever this is possible in order to find a world with it, and conversely causes people to just not play the mode if they can’t find a map with it up.

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I agree, outnumbered should prob have been set to +2 pips.

in WvW

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

Oh nooo a mechanic that rewards player for not Blobbing…. yea haven’t seen any bullying either

(edited by Sly.9518)

in WvW

Boogiepop Void.6473

Also this is generating huge amounts of toxicity as people try to bully others to leave maps so as to get outnumbered, and attack anyone who dares to enter a map that has it. The vitriol I have seen sent the way of the person who enters and puts the map over count (especially if they do it just before the tick) is extreme.

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I haven’t seen on iota of bullying on the maps I’ve been on about the outnumbered buff (SBI and Mag BL had it, lost it, had it repeat for hours last night). Nobody was toxic in map or team chat.

Big reward for going into battle against overwhelming numbers. I like it.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

I havent seen any bullying at all the majority of people are just happy to let it fall where it may.

in WvW

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

Except it’s more like: “tick is about to end. Quickly hop around to all the maps to see if any are outnumbered so you can get an extra +5”

and not at all like “fighting overwhelming numbers”

in WvW

Posted by: PabbyGaul.9682

PabbyGaul.9682

Lmao. 15 characters

in WvW

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

Except it’s more like: “tick is about to end. Quickly hop around to all the maps to see if any are outnumbered so you can get an extra +5”

Yeah totally bouncing around maps when almost all servers are Perma queued currently especially during any meaningful time periods

in WvW

Posted by: Pensadora.9478

Pensadora.9478

+1 for use of “Perverse”.

Haven’t seen the outnumbered manipulation described here.

GM of [MAS] – Might and Smarts – WvW
http://www.mas4eva.enjin.com/

in WvW

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

Yeah totally bouncing around maps when almost all servers are Perma queued currently especially during any meaningful time periods

Meh. Those will go down in a week or two. I don’t care though ’cause I play late NA.

Also, you’re obviously not going to have outnumbered when the maps are queued.

in WvW

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

This morning we had only a queue on EBG and people did the exact thing on the three borderlands maps that coro.3176 described.

Of course now in the evening (40+ queue on every map) this is not possible.

in WvW

Posted by: Grandtomatoe.2045

Grandtomatoe.2045

Totally Disagree with the OP.

This is a great tactic to get people to stop blobing and spreads out the fight.

Great work Anet.

in WvW

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

I’ve seen it, it happens, its funny, the rage and salt in /t when so many people jumped that no one on the map got the bonus is even funnier. Just play the game and have fun.
It only happens in the dead hours.

Please keep the outnumbered bonus the same, lowering won’t actually stop people from doing it. To add to what others have said, it gives more incentive to play in odd hours as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Blades Of Fatalis.1279

Blades Of Fatalis.1279

something that discourages blobbing and people are complaining? typical. this is a great mechanic and it should stay as is. rewards people for doing other things than running around in a group of 80 spamming 1. bravo anet.

in WvW

Boogiepop Void.6473

something that discourages blobbing and people are complaining? typical. this is a great mechanic and it should stay as is. rewards people for doing other things than running around in a group of 80 spamming 1. bravo anet.

It’s not about discouraging blobbing, which it barely does (blobbing is a function of the players ON a map, not the players distributed between maps). It encourages people to get other people to not play so their own rewards are better. Are you going to tell a friend to come play WvW with this in place? No, because you will decrease your rewards if they do. It encourages keeping the mode niche and servers empty so as to min-max time vs rewards.

in WvW

Blades Of Fatalis.1279

actually I’m 100% cool with more roamers. just not tons of zergs on every map. I still bring my friends onto outnumbered maps with me cause it makes it more fun. and you can have a fairly large amount of roamers on a map and still be outnumbered, its when a tag comes to a map with a zerg that it disappears.

in WvW

Blades Of Fatalis.1279

the point is maybe not discouragement, but it rewards people who do things other than blob if not discouraging blobbing itself. now the people scouting towers on home bl by themselves will get a bonus amount of rewards, as will the few people fighting to do good for their server on a very outnumbered map while the zerg is fighting elsewhere. roaming has always been far less rewarding than zerging, this goes a long way towards fixing that.

in WvW

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

What’s up Fatalis.
It is a mechanic to get players to stop blobbing except that it only works for a few and the ones that are in the 50+ man blobs don’t care cuz they are getting pips really easy without having to fight other zergs.

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

in WvW

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

It’s not about discouraging blobbing, which it barely does (blobbing is a function of the players ON a map, not the players distributed between maps). It encourages people to get other people to not play so their own rewards are better. Are you going to tell a friend to come play WvW with this in place? No, because you will decrease your rewards if they do. It encourages keeping the mode niche and servers empty so as to min-max time vs rewards.

You’d discourage a friend from playing with you to get a marginal increase in your rewards? The problem isn’t the game. The problem is your deeply skewed priorities. Choose to be a better person.

in WvW

Boogiepop Void.6473

I think the point is being missed. Outnumbered is determined by MAP population. Not if you are alone or in a group. So by putting such a huge reward boost into Outnumbered, it encourages people to try to lower their own server’s TOTAL PLAYERS ON MAP so as to keep the bonus active. It’s meant to be a reward for fighting at a disadvantage, but it ends up being a reason for people to actively try to discourage others from playing on their map. Outnumbered gives the single biggest pip gain outside of extreme rank. Rank gain is auto, and it is more economical to encourage people to leave even if you drop to third place that to get more people in and try to win.

in WvW

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

I think the point is being missed. Outnumbered is determined by MAP population. Not if you are alone or in a group. So by putting such a huge reward boost into Outnumbered, it encourages people to try to lower their own server’s TOTAL PLAYERS ON MAP so as to keep the bonus active. It’s meant to be a reward for fighting at a disadvantage, but it ends up being a reason for people to actively try to discourage others from playing on their map. Outnumbered gives the single biggest pip gain outside of extreme rank. Rank gain is auto, and it is more economical to encourage people to leave even if you drop to third place that to get more people in and try to win.

Except that it’s not. The tiny fraction of fools I have seen seriously try to do what what you are saying are being openly mocked and/or ignored on my server, and I’m supposedly on one of the most “toxic” servers in the game.

Also, keep moving those goal posts. You explicitly stated you wouldn’t want a friend to play with you because it might hurt your rewards. You aren’t much of a friend in my book.

Even if players jump maps to get the outnumbered bonus, there is no bad in encouraging people to go to the less populated maps. The truth of the matter is it’s a gift to roamers and borderland moms, as well as those stuck in que for more populated maps, and that’s a good thing. Because they don’t earn rewards as quickly as blobbers and ktrainers do.

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

LOL what are you talking about. It is ridiculous when we finally get some good change to the game mode, we get players like you who complain about it.

How can you just lower your own server’s population on the map by yourself? Players choose to play wherever they want. The only thing you can do to get outnumber buff is to find a map that is empty for your server.

Playing outnumbered deserves the huge bonus. Every other reward favors blobbing greatly and that is not what the game mode needs. You earn waaaaay less WXP by playing outnumbered and you are way more likely to get killed.

+5 bonus is definitely not too much to serve as an incentive.

in WvW

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

LOL what are you talking about. It is ridiculous when we finally get some good change to the game mode, we get players like you who complain about it.

How can you just lower your own server’s population on the map by yourself? Players choose to play wherever they want. The only thing you can do to get outnumber buff is to find a map that is empty for your server.

Playing outnumbered deserves the huge bonus. Every other reward favors blobbing greatly and that is not what the game mode needs. You earn waaaaay less WXP by playing outnumbered and you are way more likely to get killed.

+5 bonus is definitely not too much to serve as an incentive.

Lol ikr. Idk why I like to butcher my perception of this game by coming to the forums. It somehow manages to find something bad about everything and anything.

gaem not made for mi
===========

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Oh nooo a mechanic that rewards player for not Blobbing…. yea haven’t seen any bullying either

It also rewards moving to other servers. Potentially uprooting communities.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

lol the pvelife eh?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Having just experienced it myself, I think there is a problem. I got more pips from ten minutes afking in an outnumbered map than I did from the time I spent building up participation in the first place.

A large part of it, I think, is that while for the more experienced players it’s just a nice bonus, if you haven’t done much WvW it could be up to a 500% increase to your pip gain (if your world is losing the current skirmish and you’re not getting any of the other bonuses). This means that the less experienced players, the ones that you probably do want sticking to blobs as the learn the ropes, have a strong incentive to try to find an outnumbered map as it ticks over, while the experienced players have less relative incentive to reinforce an outnumbered map. Which likely is pretty much the reverse of what you want, since it’d be the experienced players that have the best chance to hold out against superior numbers.

What I’d probably suggest is:

1) Make the outnumbered bonus scale in some fashion with the pips you’d get otherwise, rather than being a flat +5 bonus which is huge to some and nice but not a big deal to others.
2) Require you to have been on the map for a certain length of time to qualify for the outnumbered bonus – possibly tie it to the last time you earned participation?
3) Increase the baseline number of pips for people who are less established in WvW. This could possibly be a matter of granting pips per level of participation. This might require increasing the pips needed for rewards to compensate, but it would mean that low-ranking players aren’t put in situations where they practically have to be on an outnumbered map for the pips they receive to be worth their time.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in WvW

Posted by: Lionwait.4815

Lionwait.4815

This post is full of poo.

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

I haven’t seen any bullying on my server with regards to this, however it’s kind of hilarious that I did experience this early last year when I was new to the game mode – someone from my server, upon my entrance into the map went haywire in map chat and told whoever just entered the map to leave because he wanted the outnumbered buff. He was raging (mind you this person is still around to this day but probably has forgotten this incident, but it sticks in my mind till this day – he is even in this forum :P) so in the end I told him even though I wanted to play that I will leave for his sake just so they could have their buff.

In any case I think the +5 pip is a good incentive for some of us who’ve always been experiencing [Outnumbered], and yes it’s unfortunate that it can lead to map hopping but honestly with all the people that have been playing now I find it hard to believe many servers stay outnumbered for long. I can say this is something that is low priority, and why be mad anyway? These pip seekers are probably for those new shinies so they will get out of our hair sooner or later.