Please disable gliding when entering combat

in WvW

Posted by: Noblehawk.8036

Noblehawk.8036

Please disable gliding immediately when player enters combat.

Reasoning:

In current mode if enemy zerg “pushes” to you in air, there is very little crowdcontrol u can apply to them. Necro marks and statics wont work in air and idea that u would actually build ballista to counter them is hilariously stupid. In fact ballista against any flying enemy is very useless as u most likely wanted to build em only to defend your own stuff and enemies can not fly there anyways.

For this reason any damage to player (=getting player to combat) should instantly disable gliding and player should drop like a rock. This way any ranged player could start shooting people out from the sky, which would be much funnier approach to gliding in wvw anyways.

Gliding being disabled while in combat would make it much more consistent. U would not need to think about accidentally gliding while u’re fighting near some edge. Nothing sucks more than accidentally activating glider after jumping and going off the edge even u didn’t plan to do it.

To make myself clear – I have nothing against gliding but I have very much against it being possible while in combat.

Thank you for reading my feedback.

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

Personally, Im ok with people getting in combat while glidind…

But you shouldn’t be able to start gliding while in combat already. As long as it is possible to bail from a losing fight using your glider then I will vote against the feature altogether.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Posted by: Broxigar.8594

Broxigar.8594

I really hate this feature honestly. I love going for small group roaming / solo and already it’s frustrating dealing with people kitten out by teleporting to waypoint as soon as they get out of combat , now gliding make it even worse in certain situation. Honestly I would have give it for granted the fact that you shouldn’t be able to trigger glider while in combat , as every pvp oriented player would have tho …
I am personally against the whole gliding thing in WvW , it completly ruind the concept of a well built landscape and the purpose of putting objective over a cliff and its pro and cons, i would see mounts being more appropriate honestly, but everything that is going to ease moving faster and easier makes the map feel smaller than it already is.
Hope they will figure it out.

in WvW

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Gliding needs to get disabled the moment players enter combat. Period. There is no way around it if it’s to stay in WvW.

Here is an example how bad it currently is. Our group of 20 people fights a similarly large group north of SM in EB. We manage to push them towards that cliff near the red keep sentry and instead of actually being rewarded for playing smart the whole enemy group just… glides away o.O They receive no damage because of that glide evade trait and guess how many people aside from braindead pew-pew longbow rangers have access to a decent ranged CC that also works against targets in the air? We also can’t glide after them cause, you know, enemy territory…

As the OP already said I have nothing against gliding while being out of combat but entering combat should automatically disable it. ANet could add an additional (rank 6) ability to the War gliding line which would for example cost 35 ability points and work similarly like regular fall reduction traits (Death from above, Decent into Maddness etc.)

(edited by holodoc.5748)

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Agreed. Someone should not be able to begin gliding if they are in combat.

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

Gliding needs to get disabled the moment players enter combat. Period. There is no way around it if it’s to stay in WvW.

Here is an example how bad it currently is. Our group of 20 people fights a similarly large group north of SM in EB. We manage to push them towards that cliff near the red keep sentry and instead of actually being rewarded for playing smart the whole enemy group just… glides away o.O They receive no damage because of that glide evade trait and guess how many people aside from braindead pew-pew longbow rangers have access to a decent ranged CC that also works against targets in the air? We also can’t glide after them cause, you know, enemy territory…

As the OP already said I have nothing against gliding while being out of combat but entering combat should automatically disable it. ANet could add an additional (rank 6) ability to the War gliding line which would for example cost 35 ability points and work similarly like regular fall reduction traits (Death from above, Decent into Maddness etc.)

Now, that other group would say they played you smartly into that cliff as an available escape. Maybe flanking them and cutting off their obvious retreat is another way to view it. Tactics need to change. Just because a tactic wasn’t available before, doesn’t mean you can’t adapt to it.

Or maybe add a couple brain dead pew pew rangers and allow them in squad?

Either way, this needs time to evaluate pros and cons.

in WvW

Posted by: Splatter Paw.7238

Splatter Paw.7238

Im with Strider you knew they could glide and you were in there territory how was that a smart move to start? You did it to yourself, the same ole isnt gonna work anymore thats what i love about gliding being added, switch things up.

Plus hows entering combat 1500 range in the air fair? just plop to your death, even with reduction traits itd stil lbe slanted in the ground forces favor immensly while your on there turf…….. there would be no point in gliding to begin with in that case.

Play smart, get outta your box.

in WvW

holodoc.5748

There is a huge difference between adjusting to new tactics and getting used to whatever experiment is thrown out in this game. Being rewarded for running away whenever there are not at least three rows of siege between you and the enemy is not tactics, it’s just a running simulator with artificial limitations.

Plus hows entering combat 1500 range in the air fair? just plop to your death, even with reduction traits itd stil lbe slanted in the ground forces favor immensly while your on there turf…….. there would be no point in gliding to begin with in that case.

Gliding should not be an escape plan for making terrible decisions. At most it should be a reward for good judgment and retreating on time. How would people react if ANet suddenly decided to allow using waypoints during fights or to remove movement impending penalties during aggro?

As for the ability to withstand fall damage it was just an idea. There are unlimited possibilities how that part could be solved. Give the enemy full fall damage immunity just make sure no one can use gliding if they are caught in the fight.

You make a stupid mistake, you should pay for it, not get rewarded. Simple as that.

in WvW

Posted by: Amawyn.1925

Amawyn.1925

same reason ppl shouldnt be able to stealth once in combat

in WvW

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

Gliding is fine as it is. Its a valid tactic to evade. Just as going into stealth while in combat.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

(edited by Bensozia.8071)

in WvW

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

Nope, leave it as it is.

If you can’t change your tactic around an enemy that can glide in it’s territory, then the problem is with you.

But if gliding does get turned off while in combat, then stealth should be too. To be consistent right?!

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

It’s an advantage for those owning that territory. Stealth is even worse. Leap and teleport away the same. If it’s the running away the problem, all these should be solved. The “no running away” rule must be consistent – allowed or not. Old ways or new, doesn’t matter, the same principles applies to all.

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

do not change. people need to adapt to this. just get good by using your imagination to use and counter it.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Pretty sure you don’t gain more evade skills just by opening ur glider up….its based on existing endurance im pretty sure.

This is actually rather amusing. See I was of the same opinion, but then i read ur posting here. THis is a learn to play issue clearly as you so well articulate. You have been building zergs that fight and rely solely on ground aoe. They add a new diminsion to combat and you are unwilling to adapt to it.

That’s all this is: a new combat update that you haven’t properly adapted to. Your posting about the “useless” rangers in ur group really illustrated this well. Be nice to ur rangers, ur gonna need em to effectively address this style of combat.

I mean ur complaint is no differnt than a 24/7 ground zerg suddenly finding itself fighting underwater. Ur not geared, ur not learned, ur not organized for underwter combat and you could lose whatever advantage you gained fighitng onland.
Gliding is no different, prep for it or avoid the cliffs like you would avoid the water.

If anything this should encourage more build diversity in ur zergs and more specialized roles for classes that otherwise have none. Those aren’t bad things at all.

And ur last suggestion about making the current assets of gliding cost more points….doesnt it sound like you made that suggestion so less players have access to it?
That’s a really smug way of handling a supposed problem you yourself can take advantage of.

Balance starts at the ceiling, not the floor. And you sir, are now standing on the floor.
-That’s a pun, look it up.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

Gliding should not be an escape plan for making terrible decisions

I’m sorry but you’re barking up the wrong tree there. Look around you. ArenaNet already rewards players with an escape plan for making terrible decisions… it’s called a thief.

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

in WvW

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Gliding is fine.

Adding another dimension to be able to kite from and escape enemies when in your own territory is fun and creative. Defenders should have the advantage, I don’t see the problem with that.

In fact it adds further incentive to capture even things like ruins and camps whose territories encompass cliffs or high areas, to give you the advantage of being able to use gliding as a means of escape/kiting.

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

High ground matters???

Anakin! Don’t be foolish! I have the high ground!

in WvW

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

High ground matters???

Anakin! Don’t be foolish! I have the high ground!

lol, now I’m going to have this on my mind if that kind of situation arises near a cliff in our owned territory. xD

in WvW

holodoc.5748

Pretty sure you don’t gain more evade skills just by opening ur glider up….its based on existing endurance im pretty sure.

This is actually rather amusing. See I was of the same opinion, but then i read ur posting here. THis is a learn to play issue clearly as you so well articulate. You have been building zergs that fight and rely solely on ground aoe. They add a new diminsion to combat and you are unwilling to adapt to it.

That’s all this is: a new combat update that you haven’t properly adapted to. Your posting about the “useless” rangers in ur group really illustrated this well. Be nice to ur rangers, ur gonna need em to effectively address this style of combat.

I mean ur complaint is no differnt than a 24/7 ground zerg suddenly finding itself fighting underwater. Ur not geared, ur not learned, ur not organized for underwter combat and you could lose whatever advantage you gained fighitng onland.
Gliding is no different, prep for it or avoid the cliffs like you would avoid the water.

If anything this should encourage more build diversity in ur zergs and more specialized roles for classes that otherwise have none. Those aren’t bad things at all.

And ur last suggestion about making the current assets of gliding cost more points….doesnt it sound like you made that suggestion so less players have access to it?
That’s a really smug way of handling a supposed problem you yourself can take advantage of.

Balance starts at the ceiling, not the floor. And you sir, are now standing on the floor.
-That’s a pun, look it up.

Talk about a self entitled kitten that didn’t even take the time to read what people wrote.

Here is a short version, specifically made for you: gliding = fine, being able to glide away while in combat = not fine.

Allowing the territory owners to just glide away without any penalty is way too much convenience for one side, especially when the other side has no means to follow. Not to mention that the only reliable counter to gliding (long range CC that works in the air) is provided by one profession.

And yes, leveling up the War gliding mastery to rank 4 actually gives you the ability to dodge attacks, so not only can you run away quickly by gliding away but you can also fully evade any attacks, including CCs, for a couple of seconds. Now someone is actually trying to convince me that that’s fair and a “learn to play” issue?

Wan’t a real fair fight in at least some distant future for WvW? Ditch territories completely and allow everyone to glide but add a way for every object (tower, keep, SM) to prevent people from flying in after a certain upgrade is bought (a shield that would enclose the whole object, some kind of gliding prevention, or whatever). That would be a way to offer incentive for people to actually defend objects not just run karma trains.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Ya I had a few times in the last few days that people would just glide away from me because they were being beat. I have 0 issues with gliding, but it should be the same as trying to WP when in combat. You should not be able to just jump and glide away when i combat!

in WvW

Posted by: Karnasis.6892

Karnasis.6892

I like it as is, and frankly gliding is no different then if someone say uses stealth away or uses any of their skills to get an advantage to avoid death. What I am basically reading from most folks is that they want an easy win.

That’s like saying we shouldn’t be allowed to move in combat because they might avoid your attacks.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I like it as is, and frankly gliding is no different then if someone say uses stealth away or uses any of their skills to get an advantage to avoid death. What I am basically reading from most folks is that they want an easy win.

That’s like saying we shouldn’t be allowed to move in combat because they might avoid your attacks.

Wrong! I expect people to run or stealth if they have the ability to do so. But you still have a very good chance to catch and kill them! I usually get them too! Gliding away is not something that should be an allowed mechanic when you are in combat. So your comment about easy is just plain stupid. Maybe you are one of those people that engage the fight, then soon learn you are outmatched so you run away?

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

knew from start gliding is kittened.. just fight near a cliff and huehue glide away when u cant win while enemy team/player cant do anything about it..

might aswell make ports available in mid fight its same stuff..

as for karnasis, i dont care if one stealths and runs off cus i know he cant get far..
if some1 glides off a cliff that i cant possibly follow cus i fall to dead if i do so i find it pure lame.

gliding or any of this pve content shouldnt be introduced to wvw, same for mounts we dont need this kitten in WvW if they plan to add em cus they have no role in WvW the maps beside kittenty Red BL are small and mostly flat and easy to go around in there no need for gliding as for RED BL i would say ye gliding would make sense if u could glide anywhere including into enemy lands so u can actually follow ur enemies and not just see em fly off like fools.

in WvW

Karnasis.6892

Wrong! I expect people to run or stealth if they have the ability to do so. But you still have a very good chance to catch and kill them! I usually get them too! Gliding away is not something that should be an allowed mechanic when you are in combat. So your comment about easy is just plain stupid. Maybe you are one of those people that engage the fight, then soon learn you are outmatched so you run away?

But I have the ability to glide, which is a new ability added to everyone, so I don’t see how this is ANY different than using those class abilities to escape. As I said, people want easy wins, and an easy win is one that can’t use the tools the devs have given us to to our advantage.

(edited by Karnasis.6892)

in WvW

holodoc.5748

But I have the ability to glide, which is a new ability added to everyone, so I don’t see how this is ANY different than using those class abilities to escape. As I said, people want easy wins, and an easy win is one that can’t use the tools the devs have given us to to our advantage.

It is different because the equivalent of your stealth thief example for the other side would be to disable their long range weapons, blinks, swiftness and anything that could help catch or drive the thief out of stealth.

That’s the problem, one side gets a clear advantage to which the other side has no applicable counter play.

in WvW

Karnasis.6892

That’s the problem, one side gets a clear advantage to which the other side has no applicable counter play.

The counter play is take their objectives away and you have gliding and they don’t… how do people not see that is the whole point of territories beyond stopping folks from gliding into your keeps.

The other counter play is literally use skills that target to cc, and they’ll drop like flies.

(edited by Karnasis.6892)

in WvW

holodoc.5748

The counter play is take their objectives away and you have gliding and they don’t… how do people not see that is the whole point of territories beyond stopping folks from gliding into your keeps.

Even if it made any sense for enemies to fight when stuff behind them is controlled by other servers gliding territories are so close together that they could simply switch to an adjacent territory and glide away.

So your proposal basically translates to “cap the whole map and base-kitten ” the enemies to counter their ability to run away by gliding.

The other counter play is literally use skills that target to cc, and they’ll drop like flies.

There is literally only one build in the entire game that can do reliable ranged CC in the air (longbow ranger, Point Blank Shot). One build. Can anyone name any other skill that can bring down an enemy player gliding away?

(edited by holodoc.5748)

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Even if it made any sense for enemies to fight when stuff behind them is controlled by other servers gliding territories are so close together that they could simply switch to an adjacent territory and glide away.

So your proposal basically translates to "cap the whole map and base-kitten " the enemies to counter their ability to run away by gliding.

There is literally only one build in the entire game that can do reliable ranged CC in the air (longbow ranger, Point Blank Shot). One build. Can anyone name any other skill that can bring down an enemy player gliding away?

Hard to say as there was a supposedly bug preventing hard CC from working properly. (unless I misread that post) I expect that any ranged pull should work and there a number of those. I generally am in home BL so I will try thief with SW to see it it works.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in WvW

Posted by: CreedOfGod.9764

CreedOfGod.9764

My take on it: Daze/stuns should cancel gliding, each time you take damage from direct attacks it should stack a debuff on you, at 5 stacks it knocks you off balance and cancels gliding

~Ghost Ren~
Stay Low. Move Fast. Kill First. Die Last.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

When 50 angry germans try to zerg you down this combat gliding is good thing. Mistform gliding rules.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

It is fine for people to glide away from combat. But if that player initiated the combat, that player should not be allowed to glide away until it is over. It ia lame for those to start a fight first and fly away when they are losing and you can’t give chase.

-S o S-

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

It is fine for people to glide away from combat. But if that player initiated the combat, that player should not be allowed to glide away until it is over. It ia lame for those to start a fight first and fly away when they are losing and you can’t give chase.

Thiefs do this whole time and they don’t even need glider.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Skada.1362

Skada.1362

I agree with this. If you’re in combat you shouldn’t be able to glide. Other than that I like gliding in WvW.

I am Derpocalypse. WvW is all I care about. Currently on Piken Square EU.

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Here is a short version, specifically made for you: gliding = fine, being able to glide away while in combat = not fine.

Strongly disagree. (*edit: with the “gliding in combat = not fine” bit)
For reasons outlined by others above.

(edited by Rashagar.8349)

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Gliding in combat is good, it’s enjoyable and increases tactics.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

There are builds in the game that allow players to disengage and use leaps and evades and teleports to be half the map away in 2 seconds,since the release of the game,but now that people can glide away slowly all while being completely exposed to attacks is bad for the game.
BS.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in WvW

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

The problem I see is that a lot of players and guilds just use it to run instead of staying and fighting. 20vs30, nope, glide away. Its not fun. People are giving up before fights even start and that’s not fun. It usually just ends up with them running off to find a smaller group so they can stomp them or PPT on a different side of the map.

Gliding itself has been a very welcomed change but gliding in combat is a bit lame when you can take 20+ people and just avoid any situation not heavily in your favor. This is why I don’t compare it to stealth. You can’t just stealth a zerg and run away. It doesn’t work like that. Maybe for roaming or small groups with mass invis but not big groups. There needs to be some kind of middle ground to keep WvW engaging and not about running when the odds are even slightly against you.

Maguuma Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

The problem I see is that a lot of players and guilds just use it to run instead of staying and fighting. 20vs30, nope, glide away. Its not fun. People are giving up before fights even start and that’s not fun. It usually just ends up with them running off to find a smaller group so they can stomp them or PPT on a different side of the map.

Gliding itself has been a very welcomed change but gliding in combat is a bit lame when you can take 20+ people and just avoid any situation not heavily in your favor. This is why I don’t compare it to stealth. You can’t just stealth a zerg and run away. It doesn’t work like that. Maybe for roaming or small groups with mass invis but not big groups. There needs to be some kind of middle ground to keep WvW engaging and not about running when the odds are even slightly against you.

If people want to run they will run.
And since we are talking about large group in combat scenarios,gliding away equals defeat as it’s so easy to just shoot them out of flight as they glide away.
Free bags for your ranged players.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Talk about a self entitled kitten that didn’t even take the time to read what people wrote.

1. My comment was specifically BECAUSE I read what you wrote. Did you not read what ‘I’ wrote? I specifically said I was inspired by your posting to change my views on the issue, you should feel humbled if not honored.

2. Not my fault you didn’t like the truth.

3. Self entitled kitten…? ALso wrong. I am entitled by the ToS to call you out of this stuff, I wouldn’t take it personally.

You’re on the losing end atm, might wanna invest in a better counter argument.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Posted by: Lionwait.4815

Lionwait.4815

Yes disable gliding in combat!

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

You should not be able to deploy your glider if already in combat.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Ah couldnt chase that solo guy with your 50man blob and he got away ?

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Gliding in combat is a great feature. It adds another level of complexity and requires a change in tactics and builds to compensate. And “braindead pew pew rangers” having a place in WvW is bad? Is the need to tell someone else what to play so strong that people are going to argue against classes and builds having a place in WvW when there is one?