Please revert the WvW matching system

in WvW

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

The randomized match-ups are good in theory, but have removed the balance that stable tier-based match-ups had.

While playing the same servers repeatedly became somewhat stale, constantly being matched up against servers that you can’t compete against is even worse, and is resulting in a general abandonment of WvW for entire matches. In my server’s case, this has been the scenario for several weeks, and it is gradually getting worse.

Honestly, from what I’ve observed, the difference between servers isn’t so much a gap in skill as it is a gap in numbers. There is nothing in WvW to compensate for a server that has overwhelming numbers. There is nothing to discourage zerging in general. In fact, zerging is the prevailing “strategy”. There is also no strategy that can compensate for a server that has night coverage versus a server that does not.

Pitting a much lower-tier server against a server that has both night coverage and overwhelming numbers results in a near-total abandonment of WvW for the remainder of the match.

TL;DR: Please change the match-up system back to the tier-based system we had before, or limit the deviation in the match-ups to a smaller range. The current match-up system is strongly discouraging play in this area of the game.

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Or make the randomization a bit less severe.

in WvW

Posted by: krippler.9826

krippler.9826

Seems pretty silly that FA can be outscored 134k to 203k to 270k and still gain MMR points (and quite a bit of them) whereas SOR is winning 308k to 163k to 134k and loses points. It’s like the system already knows it f’d up making these matches.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Also, remember that GvG’s arose because of reduced competition caused by 1) the AC buff, and 2) randomized matchups. League play, again because of low tier vs high tier matches, will further encourage GvG’s, and discourage PPT, for those who want competitive fights.

But at the same time, Anet is setting out to undermine GvG’s with the Bloodlust buff. Yet, the huge advantage Bloodlust gives high tier servers will also undermine the PPT game.

So where does that leave us other than a giant cluster-kitten with no GvG and no PPT modes?

A PvP game with absolutely no competition (except dueling siege).

How did it come to this?

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

There really is a problem with current matchmaking. I play on Fort Aspenwood and we haven’t had a balanced matchup since Anet broke up the established tiers that used to exist.

Since then, we’ve had matches where we get hopelessly hammered and can’t even defend our own borderlands while completely abandoning every other map, and we’ve had other matchups where we’re the ones being the overwhelming bully and I end up leaving WvW sometimes because there’s nothing left to capture. (I play a lot at non-primetime hours so these effects are even more exaggerated for me.)

WvW was more fun a few months ago when we were just fighting Tarnished Coast and Dragonbrand every single matchup because at least it was a pretty fair fight against them at all hours of the day.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in WvW

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I’ll share my story…I’m on Crystal Desert, recently for four weeks we had the following matchups: DB & SOS, FA & SOS, FA & EB, FA & TC. Now obviously we got destroyed every single week. But here is my issue with the entire system. The fact that we can lose so horribly bad and still gain points each week that it takes us from tier 4 all the way to tier 2 shows that the system is broken beyond belief. Literally if we wanted to lose points during those weeks we needed to not kill anything…in fact we should have taken the month off and have zero people in wvw to get us back to matchups that are any sort of balanced. kitten’s broken, face the facts, leagues are going to be worse.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

I really like the good of random in his mood he was today in EU.
Everyone got what he deserves, which is not always what he may like, but that would be an not satisfiable constraint anyway.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Just wait 3 matchups and then League Season 1 will start. And League Season 1 will have at least for EU max difference 8 ranks. And they said matchups wont be random, but they will manually prepare them.

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Seems pretty silly that FA can be outscored 134k to 203k to 270k and still gain MMR points (and quite a bit of them) whereas SOR is winning 308k to 163k to 134k and loses points. It’s like the system already knows it f’d up making these matches.

its a sign that the previous matchmaking system threw ratings really far out of whack.

a really big, glaring, obvious, neon-at-night sign.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions