Population Math

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: Teanti.2376

Teanti.2376

Q:

I read recently Anet could have potentially 7 million people playing GW2 still. If even 1/20th of those players played WvW it would be impossible to get through a queue to play. Is WvW the most ignored mode and least rewarded for population control only?

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

Guestimation I made a while ago: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Is-WvW-too-big/first

….
Each map holds about 75 people per team, so 225 people per map. There are 4 maps, so potentially there could be 900 people playing non-EOTM wvw per each match up. There are 12 matchups per region, right(lost track with linking)? So that’s 10800 for US, and 10800 for EU (I think they have 12 match ups?).

Meaning, at any given time only 21600 players can be in WvW (not counting EOTM overflows). That’s assuming people even choose to play it. The active population is probably less than that.

So it’s probably even less than 1/20th of 7 million.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: Teanti.2376

Teanti.2376

Good answer. for a dedicated Wvw guy like me I would have made WvW the main attraction and PVE plus PVP side events. They should have made overflow maps that contribute to the main maps in different ways and provided large scale battles while waiting for the normal maps to open up, but logistically ANET took the easy path supporting PVE and PVP because they couldn’t come up with a way to have millions play that game mode. Maybe in ten years when GW3 comes out they will make WvW Great Again.

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

Where did you read that Gw2 still has 7 Million players? I doubt that number is accurate. Maybe if you include all the players that have bought the game but stopped playing plus the chinese market (I think it was about 2 million sold copies, but a lot lower number of active players).

There are 4 matchups in NA and 5 in Europe. So 8100 players could play at any given time. If we assume that in average a quarter of the spots are filled, then 2050 players would play at any given time. If the average player plays for 1 hour this would bring the total to 50’000 players a day and maybe 200’000 unique players a week. I am not sure if that is a lot or not, but if you would sum up the total hours in wvw and compare it to the total hours in dungeons, fractals, pvp, etc. then I would assume that wvw is more “active” than other gametypes, because I would assume the average player plays it for a lot longer than the other gamemodes. But that is a lot of guessing without any numbers

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Maybe 7 million accounts by now, but at least half is probably secondaries and concurrent users is nowhere near that.

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

Population should be based on active in the last 30-60 days with an in-game age of at least 8 hours. I have people in my guild that have not logged in for 2 years or more. lol

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Population should be based on active in the last 30-60 days with an in-game age of at least 8 hours. I have people in my guild that have not logged in for 2 years or more. lol

Thats how it works (except probably more aggressive than 30-60 days).

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I think OP mixed up WoW and gw2.
I read recently wow has 7mil subs

Population Math

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

It was mentioned in that article about wvw
http://zerolives.com/article/mVN7bYGy/guild-wars-2-community-complains-about-lack-of-developer-attention-to-world-versus-world-game-mode

Was also mentioned by ign that they hit 7 million with the expansion
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/10/23/guild-wars-2-hits-7-million-players-as-expansion-launches

2 months before that they stated they had 5 million
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/08/21/guild-wars-2-sales-figures-revealed

I would guess a lot of those accounts are the $10 or free accounts though.

Attachments:

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill