Population Population Population

in WvW

Posted by: CrimeMaker.8612

CrimeMaker.8612

First of all Arena Net opening up BG really kittened me off. It was an over stacked server and now its even more stacked. T1 matches were so close before they opened BG and look at it now. Like what were you thinking Arena Net? I get it people were raging for BG not being opened for a while but who care that server is stacked and is hibergate. We all know this very well.

Now how to fix population.

1. Introduce new players to WvW. A lot of players dont even know that there is another game mode called WvW and they just stay in PvE. One way I can think of inteoducing new players is every time a player hits level 80 they get a small message on their screen giving a little introduction about WvW. I think it will definitely introduce a lot of new players to the game mode and also that introduction actually take those players to one of the map EB and home BL preferes.

2. Advertise WvW. I see Guild Wars 2 advertisement on a lot of websites, youtube, twitch etc but they are all PvE related. Arena Net needs to invest more in game mode specific advertisement. There isnt any other game out there that has anything close to WvW. Arena Net take advantage of that. Advertise WvW. Contact WvW communities and ask us to make a short epic 2-3 min video of WvW and all the things you could do and then just review all these videos and make a small trailer for WvW. Trust me Arena Net it will catch a lot of attention attention of a lot of mmo players from all over the world.

3. WvW legendary backpiecea and WvW specific skins. A lot of people have said it already but yeah it can definitely bring a lot of players into WvW and it will actually force those players to play WvW not just afk at spawn like reward tracks.

Those are the three things I could think of but I am sure there a lot more things Arena Net can do. So boiis please leave your ideas to fix population. To be honest at this point the only way Arena Net can fix population is by bringing in those PvErs and introducing new players to the game mode. Also boiis leave your thoughts on the idea above.

in WvW

Posted by: Ultra Hades.4691

Ultra Hades.4691

Bringing in new players to face this mess will not leave a good lasting impression, but on the other hand of course we need the fodder to fill out the ranks. It doesn’t solve the issue of commander imbalance either, which is why BG is still going to rock any combination of low tier servers no matter how ‘evenly’ or ‘overly’ balanced the rest of the population is.

[WL] Kin Bear

in WvW

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

1. Introduce new players to WvW. A lot of players dont even know that there is another game mode called WvW and they just stay in PvE.

If ANet cared about PvE people wandering into WvW and staying to try it out they wouldn’t have removed the crafting tables that brought PvE people into WvW.

PvE people used to tell each other to go to WvW for crafting, and now they don’t. That got PvE people in the WvW maps for a reason that was useful to PvE people. After that it wasn’t that hard for them to leave the crafting area and check it out.

I used to tell people all the time. Go to WvW. You can craft up there. I told random people in map chat. I told guildies. I told people on the forums. I gave instructions on where the icon was and how to select their borderland. Guess how many people I’ve told since the crafting removal.

Zero

Zilch

None

No one.

Multiply this by all the other PvE people who used to do the same thing. There is now no word of mouth by PvE people urging other PvE people to go into WvW to craft.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

in WvW

Posted by: CrimeMaker.8612

CrimeMaker.8612

Exactly, WvW needs new blood. The only way WvW is gonna get new blood is through bringing PvE players or advertising WvW rather than just PvE.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

1. Introduce new players to WvW. A lot of players dont even know that there is another game mode called WvW and they just stay in PvE.

If ANet cared about PvE people wandering into WvW and staying to try it out they wouldn’t have removed the crafting tables that brought PvE people into WvW.

PvE people used to tell each other to go to WvW for crafting, and now they don’t. That got PvE people in the WvW maps for a reason that was useful to PvE people. After that it wasn’t that hard for them to leave the crafting area and check it out.

I used to tell people all the time. Go to WvW. You can craft up there. I told random people in map chat. I told guildies. I told people on the forums. I gave instructions on where the icon was and how to select their borderland. Guess how many people I’ve told since the crafting removal.

Zero

Zilch

None

No one.

Multiply this by all the other PvE people who used to do the same thing. There is now no word of mouth by PvE people urging other PvE people to go into WvW to craft.

So, basically…WvW game play isn’t an influencing factor for those players? It’s worse than crafting? I think they did the right thing then.

As for advertising, they could try to advertise their expansions…and not rely solely on recycling Gw2 players across gamemodes.

There is also the option of closing EOTM to get more WvW players or closing “normal” WvW to get more EOTM players. Drastic options, but the reality is people stop playing WvW after a while, and indeed, Guild Wars 2.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Just a flesh wound.3589

Zero

Zilch

None

No one.

So, basically…WvW game play isn’t an influencing factor for those players? It’s worse than crafting? I think they did the right thing then.

I guess you don’t run a business then.

One thing you don’t want to do is discourage foot traffic through your store. You don’t want to discourage those who go in for one reason and end up staying for another. You also don’t want to dry up any free advertising source.

1) free advertising gone: PvE people were actively promoting going to WvW. They no longer do this.

2) going in for one reason and staying for another: One thing that business people know is that getting people through the door is the hard part. Once there, selling is easy. The crafting was a “door” to WvW. It pulled PvEers into the maps. Once there they could “be sold” on playing on the maps. They might see a Zerg run by and join it. They might wander over and try to capture a camp. The point is, it brought them in and after that it was easy to check it out. Once checked out you might get a convert. This no longer happens.

To recap. Removing crafting was shortsighted on two fronts. It stopped free advertisment from PvEers and it removed the players who come in for a PvE reason and stay for WvW reasons.

So, if ANet cared about promoting WvW to PvE players they shouldn’t have removed an element that both brought WvW to PvE players attention and actively brought in PvE players to WvW maps.

ANet may give it to you.

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

ANet should have kept crafting in EotM…imho

PvE players are brought (lured/tricked) closer into the WvW universe without clogging the critical battle grounds, and servers are able to actively recruit from other servers that share their given weekly color at least.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Just a flesh wound.3589

PvE players are brought (lured/tricked) closer into the WvW universe without clogging the critical battle grounds, and servers are able to actively recruit from other servers that share their given weekly color at least.

How was people crafting ‘clogging?’

If you say queues then I say ANet had the metrics and could have upwardly adjusted map population caps to accommodate the average number of people crafting/hour on the Borderlands maps. (Are the Borderlands the critical battle grounds? I thought the center map was. There was no crafting in the Eternal Battlegrounds so crafting has no affect on queues there.)

/shrug. Well, it’s all water under the bridge now. It’s not going to be reversed which means WvW players can now enjoy their short queues. Queues that are short because fewer people are going into WvW.

ANet may give it to you.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

I guess you don’t run a business then.

The game mode is not a business, and this is not a good analogy for WvW.

One thing you don’t want to do is discourage foot traffic through your store.

In the days of crafting stations the game mode was still popular. By enabling people to sit at crafting stations hoping they would participate means they clog up the queue for those wanting to fight. Would it better to advertise jumping puzzles so players can spend time doing that, and hope that would be a segway into WvW itself? Your intention is right, but crafting stations/jumping puzzles is not right in an environment with limited space.

You don’t want to discourage those who go in for one reason and end up staying for another. You also don’t want to dry up any free advertising source.

No, I don’t. However, if “word of mouth” so to speak, is the only way WvW is getting advertised then something fundamentally is wrong in that regard. I also don’t believe that crafting contributed to increased player retention but neither of us can prove it. Again right intention, but not execution.

1) free advertising gone: PvE people were actively promoting going to WvW. They no longer do this.

Mega servers decreased advertising for WvW more dramatically than removing crafting stations imo. Mainly by not being on the Lion’s Arch server you were hoping to recruit from…

2) going in for one reason and staying for another: One thing that business people know is that getting people through the door is the hard part. Once there, selling is easy. The crafting was a “door” to WvW. It pulled PvEers into the maps. Once there they could “be sold” on playing on the maps. They might see a Zerg run by and join it. They might wander over and try to capture a camp. The point is, it brought them in and after that it was easy to check it out. Once checked out you might get a convert. This no longer happens.

If we’re going to continue this analogy, then the “door” should clearly advertise the game mode. The actual product the business makes isn’t being advertised. It’d be like walking into a Bed Bath and Beyond, then walking out with Call of Duty 4. This suggest something fundamentally is wrong. WvW is not being sold right at all. Hoping you get a convert to WvW is inconsistent if this is the manner you feel is best.

To recap. Removing crafting was shortsighted on two fronts. It stopped free advertisment from PvEers and it removed the players who come in for a PvE reason and stay for WvW reasons.

No, it was a long term decision. Whenever a change is made to improve the game play or its accessibility that will always be a long term move (for better or worse). It enabled those that want to get into the action of WvW without waiting for a queue increased by the ones who ‘may engage in it after crafting a legendary from gift of battle.’ The “free advertisement” is debatable if it was ever measured, but that’s not how you would want to promote WvW directly, and doesn’t guarantee player growth nor retention. The staying for “WvW reasons” should be that the game play is a solid sell…sadly I think that is one of its issues.

So, if ANet cared about promoting WvW to PvE players they shouldn’t have removed an element that both brought WvW to PvE players attention and actively brought in PvE players to WvW maps.

If they cared about promoting WvW they’d do it by better means…and preferable after an update with substance. Crafting stations is not it.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

(edited by Chinchilla.1785)

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

How was people crafting ‘clogging?’

If you say queues then I say ANet had the metrics and could have upwardly adjusted map population caps to accommodate the average number of people crafting/hour.

/shrug. Well, it’s all water under the bridge now. It’s not going to be reversed which means WvW players can now enjoy their short queues. Queues that are short because fewer people are going into WvW.

“Clogging” – I guess bad choice of word.

It was more my intention to use “Crafting” to lure PvE players into a large Pool that server recruiters can target to join them in WvW.

EotM would be a perfect place that naturally pools PvE players.

Why not put in activities that encourage players to linger more for WvW servers to pitch their recruitment efforts?

“Crafting” on your Home BL only allows you to recruit from your Home Server…so it’s better to have “Crafting” only in EotM to create a larger pool & one stop shop to recruit from…imho

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Just a flesh wound.3589

@Chinchilla.1785

Any advertising that ANet does to promote WvW will naturally be for and attract those who would go to and play WvW anyway. My concerns about cutting off crafting was that it removed a pathway to WvW for those that would not naturally go to WvW and play. There are a sizable number of PvE players who will dismiss WvW promotions because ’that’s a PvP map and I don’t want to be ganked.’ Crafting gives a reason for these people to go to WvW and once there, to realize it’s not so bad after all. Its a way to attract players who wouldn’t otherwise step foot in WvW.

Edit: they could always put it in EOTM as suggested above. As said, it will bring in PvEers and not have them ‘clog up’ regular WvW.

ANet may give it to you.

in WvW

Posted by: jason.9548

jason.9548

God bless chinchilla. We’re going to take matters into our own hands and be the new King maker. Let me tell you guys something black gates very own visual called a servermeeting (server leaders)about server stacking. Also bgs core guilds might leave. Whelp

in WvW

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Exactly, WvW needs new blood. The only way WvW is gonna get new blood is through bringing PvE players or advertising WvW rather than just PvE.

But the thing yall are missing out on is…. Most PvE and even some WvW players well new pvp players the truth about WvW’s community’s and ANet’s induced imbalancments, then they add on top of it there are really no rewards in WvW unless you go to the super stacked servers and crush other smaller servers. No incentives for PvE players to even step foot into WvW other then the Gift of Battle for legendaries. After that most are soo tormented by the inbalancement that they never return back after that period.

Fact of the matter is as long as the WvW community act’s like “Give me free and effortless wins against smaller servers” and ANet act’s like “Okay… so yall want to be special little non competitive little people, so we’ll just capitalize off of yalls stupidity, and make money off of yall and ride the gravy train till yall the players completely kill WvW.” WvW is just not fun nor worth playing in today’s times.

Rewards, better in PvE. Fights and mechanics, better in PvE. Fun and social factor, better in PvE. Skill based combat and the sense of accomplishment, way better and more of it in PvE. Sorry to say because of you remaining players. WvW is just absolutely not worth playing atm. Unless you are one of those people who just like to be like “hahahahaha look at us when just killed those scrubs by 70 v 20ing them.” or “FML we are always being outmanned and zerged down to the point we don’t even play anymore.” So on that last note how do you expect to get new blood to play in such a intentionally stacked matches game mode? Also how can you expect to pull new players in to the fold when yall yourselves are constantly week in and week out in situations where it’s just so not fun for yall till the point yall don’t play? And you serious want to lure these pure saps into the sadist party? More then likely it’ll be enoth to give a newer player such a sour experience that they will just quit GW2 all together. Which does hurt the game on a whole new level.

Stop trying to act like lemon salespersons and sucker, new players into a sadist party so yall can just have players to farm since most of us have actually stopped playing WvW and perhaps GW2 altogether because of yalls crap behaviors.

TL:DR

Don’t ruin new players GW2 experience by suckering them into a highly vile group of community. WvW community has honestly gotten worst then the sPvP community which is pretty bad now in it’s own right’s. Instead, you the players work on making the game mode fun for the vets again, then start to work on nudging newer players into joining the fold. You want more population then act like it. Instead of acting like abunch of spoil kids like BG and JQ who just want mommy and daddy ANet to keep feeding them fodder to effortlessly stomp.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

Population in general, as well as bringing new blood in is indeed an issue. Of course, there should be incentives, and that “WvW should bring a good experience to player” is a thing.

Yet…. Halloween is over, and for some strange reason, population suddently raised. I’m asking my guildies and friends, spread on several servers, and across several game modes, and… They were lacking ppl for everything from PvE to WvW. The issue is a single word : labyrinth.

Easy blobbing, lootsticks shining, money making.

Don’t trick yourself into thinking elaborate tactics. What most players want is easy grind and loot. It saddens me, and I don’t have any solution at the moment.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Population in general, as well as bringing new blood in is indeed an issue. Of course, there should be incentives, and that “WvW should bring a good experience to player” is a thing.

Yet…. Halloween is over, and for some strange reason, population suddently raised. I’m asking my guildies and friends, spread on several servers, and across several game modes, and… They were lacking ppl for everything from PvE to WvW. The issue is a single word : labyrinth.

Don’t trick yourself into thinking elaborate tactics. What most players want is easy grind and loot. It saddens me, and I don’t have any solution at the moment.

Sadly that is the kind of players Anet atrackted mostly, they get proud for 11111 oh shiny!
This game is to effortless overhall.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

There is but only one solution to this. That is if this is a problem for you? Go drop this current non competitive/mock competitive community for one that actually wants to make something of them selves. Over the past months I’ve seen many elsewhere in other MMOs and games.

Time for people to face the music. What you described is the driving force of ANet and the GW2’s community. It is us that are the aliens in this game. This game offers little to no form of actually competition. Ye who are looking for it here, abandon all hope.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

Zero

Zilch

None

No one.

want me to point finger on who did that?
Queue Tiers

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness