Population imbalance

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

About how to fix population imbalance.
1,2k replies in the topic.
This within 1 month since the topic was created..

How clear of a sign do you need?

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

They KNOW that there are population imbalance. But they can’t just magically press a button and fix something.

What should they do?
Force people to transfer to other servers?
Close WvW during certain times of the day?
Lower the map-limit to 30 people per server?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

They KNOW that there are population imbalance. But they can’t just magically press a button and fix something.

What should they do?
Force people to transfer to other servers?
Close WvW during certain times of the day?
Lower the map-limit to 30 people per server?

ähhhmmm… we have a thread with 1.2k replies about these questions?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Yes, and yet very few actual good solutions to it. Mainly those that I listed as far as I have seen. And none of those are really a solution at all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Bubi.5237

“actual good solution”..
How do you define ‘actual good solution’? You like the name of a solution? You think it’ll work so it’s a good solution?
Or a good solution is more solutions combined together to solve a problem?
’Cos removing white swords are an “actual good solution” as I understand.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Actual good solutions as in they actually solve the issue without punishing parts of the player base.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Bubi.5237

But then anet’s implementing not good solution, as removing white swords is punishing scouts/defenders.. Not like they are a lot or most ppl care about PPT, but still..

So if they can and will implement a not good solution, why they cant implement another not good solution to fix population imbalance?

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

@Bubi: People are gonna be mad at us bro!

And as to add something:
Current system is punishing player base as well, moving to a less punishing situation would be ideal

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

First of all the white sword thingy is scheduled for TESTING. It is not something that have been decided to be implemented permanently. People always seems to forget that. Which is quite funny seeing as people have always whined about how they never let us test stuff.

Secondly there is a rather large difference between removing a indication of something and forcing people to transfer to another server.

And even forcing people to transfer to another server won’t really be a real solution, unless they at the same time also remove the ability to transfer server and stops new accounts from joining servers.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Bubi.5237

Implementing something = coding, implementing into the source code.
IF you want to test it, first you have to implement it, test it internally against bugs and then roll out to the live servers to test the effects.
Meaning they have time/resource to implement it.

And I don’t believe that removing white swords is so much easier than locking transfers, adjusting transfer costs, adjusting max map numbers “for testing”.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

You can’t fix server unbalance. You can provide things to work around/with it. I have suggested before – increase the Outnumbered Buff, and give a You-have-too-many-people de-buff. If you outnumber the opponent on a BL, you lose a % of your damage and/or health AND you are hit with an increase in the supply it takes to deploy siege. Oh, and you also cannot deploy siege disablers.

Not sure what the numbers would be, but there must be a way. Right now, my server is ticking 0 points. The other server (the one in third) is actually ticking 10. Fun, fun times for everyone.

I am aware that the de-buff wouldn’t cure anything. And if your opponent has 0 people in a BL, the de-buff wouldn’t matter. But it’s a start, no?

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Removing white swords should, unless the code is very weirdly constructed, basically require commenting away a couple of lines of code. It would most likely not require any sort of testing seeing as no new code would need to be added and the white-swords indicators most likely aren’t vital to (or even interacting with) other parts of the code.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Bubi.5237

Removing white swords should, unless the code is very weirdly constructed, basically require commenting away a couple of lines of code. It would most likely not require any sort of testing seeing as no new code would need to be added and the white-swords indicators most likely aren’t vital to (or even interacting with) other parts of the code.

‘Cos f.e. locking transfers is not flipping a boolean variable (they have it, as you can’t transfer to Full servers, and even if you have to do it by hand, thats only 2 places, 1 for EU #1 and 1 for NA #1).

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

I never claimed that.
I just commented on your point that removing White Swords would take a bunch of time and resources, when it most likely takes just as little (if not less) than changing the transfer cost/limits/whatever.

While the act of changing said things is probably not that hard, they would still need to spend time to decide limits, numbers and costs and so on before making said changes.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Bubi.5237

But then why’re they testing a stuff nobody asked for (as you can see in the other thread) and not something at least some ppl asked for in the CDI/other threads before-after (and btw the removal will not solve balance problems, will not give more rewards to scouts, so sorry but I don’t see for what problem is it a solution, besides making pvd-ing easier)?

And sorry, if all they can test is a “brainless change” (so they don’t have to think/spend time on deciding things), then it’s (another) confirmation for me that they don’t care about the problems just want to throw something to wvw to make silence.

PS. Merlin, sorry for “hijacking” your thread

(edited by Bubi.5237)

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Hijack any day if it promotes discussion and maybe provokes a response.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

One easy solution, anet likes easy solutions.

Kick Everyone from all servers!

Then control how people can join them, Players and Guilds will have to register to join a server. If too many people try to join one server, that server gets locked for a certain amount of time until other servers are filled to the same amount.

If it means no WvW for 4 weeks in order to try to get it more balanced, then I’ll accept that.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

Honestly I don’t think this is a top concern for Anet. It’s plain to see that WvW isn’t high on their list of “to do” most of the time. Just go back through a read the release notes over the past couple of years. How often, in comparison to pve content, is WvW mentioned?

BG

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

I heard they are busy implementing our WvW CDIs. So last time we waited one year and got commander tag color changes. Cant wait to see what another year brings. So stoked

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: eugenstash.8610

eugenstash.8610

Here’s a solution that the dev’s can implement immediately: Let us, the player base know that they are working on coming to some sort of a solution instead of starving an already sickly dog.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

They can just do like ESO and open the servers, allow guesting, and let the players balance the game themselves.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

They can just do like ESO and open the servers, allow guesting, and let the players balance the game themselves.

Players already have the ability to balance the game themselves. The majority choose not to and instead transfer to the top tier servers to stack them.

I think it’s time to finally admit that the players are at fault here at least as much as Anet is, but that doesn’t seem to be happening in significant enough numbers so far. It’s easier to continue to live in denial and play the blame-game.

Population imbalance

in WvW

eugenstash.8610

Players already have the ability to balance the game themselves. The majority choose not to and instead transfer to the top tier servers to stack them.

I think it’s time to finally admit that the players are at fault here at least as much as Anet is, but that doesn’t seem to be happening in significant enough numbers so far. It’s easier to continue to live in denial and play the blame-game.

I dont remember having the source code in front of ME to make the necessary changes. This is on Anet.

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

I dont remember having the source code in front of ME to make the necessary changes. This is on Anet.

He/she/it is talking about spreading out, which is basically what people suggest ArenaNet forces people to do. Which does not require anything except stuff fully available for everyone in-game.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

He/she/it is talking about spreading out, which is basically what people suggest ArenaNet forces people to do. Which does not require anything except stuff fully available for everyone in-game.

Except for money and the ability to know the exactly amount of players on each server.

[HUE]

Population imbalance

in WvW

Shademehr.1397

Except for money and the ability to know the exactly amount of players on each server.

Many spent money to transfer in order to stack the servers in the first place, so money clearly wasn’t an issue. Also, I don’t think anyone needs concrete numbers directly from ArenaNet to know that there is a significant population difference between Gold, Silver, and Bronze-tiered servers. Many times, there are even a hugely obvious population differences within a tier.

For the record, I’m not encouraging anyone to transfer. There are many of us that like the population on our current servers and don’t have much of a desire to transfer, be “combined”, or receive 100’s of new troops all at one time. I’m frankly just tired of lots of folks acting like they never contributed to this issue and entirely blaming Anet for the situation. That’s disingenuous at best.

(edited by Shademehr.1397)

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

No human being is an “it”. Rude.

Whispers with meat.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Gem price is too expensive, it should be free with a time-gate on transfers. Then they need to add a WvW guesting system, where you can help servers in need but will not receive Wxp for it.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Mindtrick.5190

Mindtrick.5190

“Server pride” and the “server communitie” players are slowing Anet down. Granted they’re still playing gw2 and buying gems. While I’m waiting till tonight to play a 10 year old mmo. Sometimes you have to push aside feelings and do what’s right.

Take the lowest pop servers and start closing them down. Transfer all those players to the server above or give them the option to go some place else. The Devs and the players each take a bullet. Anet deals with looking like they have a issue “which they do” and players have to form new communities “making new friends”.

Got Ninja?
https://www.twitch.tv/mindtrick714
<3 and Hugs no Hate I Just Point Out Fail.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Old Bones.5140

Old Bones.5140

There are people on those lower servers who would not want a merger. People have a lot invested in those servers. We have servers we hate. The only people that want the servers merged are the ones who do not like getting the face punched in on a game. Their e-kitten pride is getting hurt. If you don’t like your server. Do what millions have done, MOVE.

There are actually people who don’t like to blob. Roaming and small havoc squads are a lifestyle. Yeah it sucks getting steamrolled at times, but even numbers, they are deadlier than you think.

Anet did not break the coverage wars. The players did. Let them dig their way out or suffer.

Population imbalance

in WvW

eugenstash.8610

FYI, it costs $$$$ to “spread out”. I understand the need for constructive suggestions but it is painfully obvious that players only have the blue prints in their hands while Anet holds the nails and hammers to fix this broken situation. If there solution is to switch servers all that says is “give us more money b**ch!”

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Mindtrick.5190

Mindtrick.5190

There are people on those lower servers who would not want a merger. People have a lot invested in those servers. We have servers we hate. The only people that want the servers merged are the ones who do not like getting the face punched in on a game. Their e-kitten pride is getting hurt. If you don’t like your server. Do what millions have done, MOVE.

There are actually people who don’t like to blob. Roaming and small havoc squads are a lifestyle. Yeah it sucks getting steamrolled at times, but even numbers, they are deadlier than you think.

Anet did not break the coverage wars. The players did. Let them dig their way out or suffer.

This is the type of player I’m talking about to inside the box. “We have servers we hate” when you get moved to another server maybe the one you hate. Guess what you can “hate” a new one. Check those feelings at the login screen this is a video game it’s basic.

I’ve been on pretty much all the servers with my old guild. We would transfer to destroy other guilds break other servers morals then join them. Shoot even JQ paid us to transfer for season 2. This game is nothing like that anymore it’s now full of salty one push heroes

Enjoy my token video and how wvw was suppose to be played.

Got Ninja?
https://www.twitch.tv/mindtrick714
<3 and Hugs no Hate I Just Point Out Fail.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

You-have-too-many-people de-buff. If you outnumber the opponent on a BL, you lose a % of your damage and/or health

I want you to realize how horrible an idea this is.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Pretty sure they mean testing how it works out for WvW, not testing that the code functions.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

About how to fix population imbalance.
1,2k replies in the topic.
This within 1 month since the topic was created..

How clear of a sign do you need?

That wasn’t even the first topic on it. You see back when the game released it was quickly realized that having EU/SEA/etc populations is what won games. I believe it was the Titan alliance on HoD. Threads started popping up like crazy about “night capping” and population imbalance. ArenaNets response was to just shrug at players. There were long discussions over possible solutions like changing scoring, variable points based on population, etc. This was well before the community was toxic and the players had lost faith in ArenaNet.

ArenaNet has zero excuses for why this isn’t fixed. They had 2+ years and have done nothing. If you think for a second that now the populations are down they will do something you’re wrong. Unless its something dead simple like the commander color changes, it simply won’t be done. Even the simple changes will take 1+ year(s) that other MMO’s could do in a week.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

Unless its something dead simple like the commander color changes, it simply won’t be done.

Cmon man, commander color change were made for PvE purposes to support Silverwaste event farm. It has nothing to do with WvW

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: roxybudgy.8205

roxybudgy.8205

I say free transfers for the annoying whiny players who want to win/playwithmorepeople/notbesteamrolled/dontgiveahootaboutserverpride so that they can gtfo of our cosy little servers with lower populations which we love for its unique play style and the challenges that come with it.

As I’ve said in various incarnations of this thread topic, some of us are actually ok with the way things are on our servers. Yes, things can always be better, but many would agree with me when I say that merging any servers solves nothing in the long run, and at best will only give remaining servers a slight boost in numbers before people bandwagon on a particular server again. I’m sick of other servers treating us lower tier servers as a resource to be plundered.

It’s as stupid as movie studios thinking that eliminating illegal downloads would result in an increase in sales.

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

In all honesty , Anet should allow free transfers between t4 to t8 if they are not going to merge.

But in return scale the gem cost to

t1 = +175% increase in gem cost
t2 = +125% increase in gem cost
t3 = No increase

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Actually there are people that doesn’t see themselves as male or female, and for lack of better word “it” would be used for them.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Shademehr.1397

Gem price is too expensive, it should be free with a time-gate on transfers. Then they need to add a WvW guesting system, where you can help servers in need but will not receive Wxp for it.

I personally don’t know what the transfer fees are, but the wiki says this:
Medium: 500 gems
High: 1000 gems
Very High: 1800 gems

At current gem exchange rates (according to GW2Spidy) around 15gold per 100 gems
Medium: 75 gold
High: 150 gold
Very High: 270 gold

At current USD prices which is $1.25 per 100 gems
Medium: $6.25 (or about the cost of a Big Mac combo at McDonalds)
High: $12.50 (or about the cost of a dinner at Chili’s)
Very High: $22.50 (or about the cost of a movie and popcorn)

With the exception of the “Very High” gold price, all of these are easily attainable. Seriously. Skip the Big Mac for one day and transfer to a Medium tier server. Skip the next showing of Maleficient and transfer to a Very High server.

If people spent half the time acquiring money and/or gold as they do whining about acquiring money and/or gold, they’d be able to transfer lickety-split.

The players are the majority of the problem, not Anet. STOP STACKING AND SPREAD OUT.

tl;dr #1 Bite the bullet and go wherever it is that you have the best playing experience “on your own dime”

tl;dr #2 I’m feeling particularly salty today.

(edited by Shademehr.1397)

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Actually there are people that doesn’t see themselves as male or female, and for lack of better word “it” would be used for them.

regardless of the gender debate, all human beings are “its”; they fit the definition of creatures, animals, beings, and other non-gender-specific nouns.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: strifer.7986

strifer.7986

it’s amazing…nothing changed…well i was expecting that.

i will just copy/paste my old post

“because this bring more money to Anet from trasfers. why someone should transfer if its all good? Anet and have no interest to fix that even if they make a CDI to talk about population , thats why population will be always unbalanced.”

ask youself why after megaserver trasfer fee for www is still in place.

do you understand you all wasted so many times writing 1,2k replies?

the solution would be simple :
1) merge empty server ( anet do not want do that simpli because its a fail admission)
2) give to all free trasfer ( yes because it not about the “staking” , i think ppl doesnt care if have to spend some money to trasfer but if they do they want to be sure its for a better situation. Why should i waste money to “try” a lower tier where its a desert.
Ofc they dont do this becuase….read above…
3)rework MU

Stand still and do nothing , things are totally different.

(edited by strifer.7986)

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Because back in the days before the transfer fee was added WvW was in an even worse state than it is now?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: strifer.7986

strifer.7986

Because back in the days before the transfer fee was added WvW was in an even worse state than it is now?

what are you talking about ? transfer fee is here from the closed beta i played…

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-25-guild-wars-2s-world-server-transfer-system-explained

(edited by strifer.7986)

Population imbalance

in WvW

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Iv given up. If being repeatedly being punched in the face and told to be happy, then carry on. For myself, the last time i ventured into wvw was months ago, and only go into eotm now if my side is green. Do i miss it, sure, but not under these conditions.

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

what are you talking about ? transfer fee is here from the closed beta i played…

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-25-guild-wars-2s-world-server-transfer-system-explained

No.
They didn’t actually add in the fee for it until they launched Guesting, and that was quite some time after release.

It was planned for release, but since Guesting wasn’t available and they have spent quite some time on explaining how good it would be to be able to join people on other servers for free with guesting, they decided to remove the requirement to pay for transfer until such a time Guesting was actually added to the game.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Kanebrake.6192

No.
They didn’t actually add in the fee for it until they launched Guesting, and that was quite some time after release.

It was planned for release, but since Guesting wasn’t available and they have spent quite some time on explaining how good it would be to be able to join people on other servers for free with guesting, they decided to remove the requirement to pay for transfer until such a time Guesting was actually added to the game.

Regardless it was still a disaster.

BG

Population imbalance

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Indeed it was, which is also the reason why they never should go back to free transfers again ^^

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Population imbalance

in WvW

Kanebrake.6192

Anet deals with looking like they have a issue “which they do”

This will never happen. What will happen is that Anet will announce a new Guild Wars based game (GW3??) and let GW2 just die out as they move their focus to something else.

BG

Population imbalance

in WvW

Kanebrake.6192

Indeed it was, which is also the reason why they never should go back to free transfers again ^^

Negative. The disaster was adding the fees. But nice try, oh mighty white knight.

BG