Proposal: Transfer Costs by Rank

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Problem: The linked worlds have to low transfer costs, such that now a hord of bandwaggoners move around between them based on the rank they are linked to..

Solution: Base Transfer-Costs on the rank a world/set of linked worlds currently have, e.g.

Tier 1 (rank 1-3): 3000gems
Tier 2 (rank 4-6): 2500gems
Tier 3 (rank 7-9): 2000gems
Tier 4 (rank 10-12): 1500gems
Tier 1 (rank 13-15): 1000gems
Tier 1 (rank 16-18): 500gems

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

ranking dont make sense with world linking.
how the hell u gonna rank the guest server

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Dayra.7405

ranking dont make sense with world linking.
how the hell u gonna rank the guest server

Both equally at the rank at which both are playing of course,
e.g. Desolation +Ruins of Surmia play rank 1 and Dragonbrand +Isle of Janthir play rank 3 so any of those servers cost 3k gems.

That’s the essence of this proposal. It doesn’t make any sense to me that transfer to Desolation directly cost 1.8k while its only 500 to join Desolation inderectly via Ruins of Surmia

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

Good idea………

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think the OP has correctly identified all the issues that their solution attempts to address.

Clearly, some people like to bandwagon. An experienced guild can influence the balance by moving to a low-pop world and also rake in karma-train rates of loot. That’s frustrating to the worlds they aphidize. As a result, frequent world-changers are more likely to be ranked high.

If that were the only issues involved, then sure, increasing transfer costs for those people would seem like a good idea for throttling bandwagoning. Unfortunately, as the rate of gold:gems has evolved with linkages, we can predict that such groups would be likely willing to pay the higher costs.

So this would slow, but it wouldn’t stop the process. Further, it punishes long-term players who want to transfer for unrelated reasons.

Currently, transfers have other issues:

• There’s no incentive for unaffiliated players to transfer from a full to a low-pop world.
  • There is, however, a strong disincentive for moving: the high cost.
  • There are also incentives for moving to higher-pop worlds: better fights, better coverage (so more likely to be competitive), better chance of finding a zerg (for those who want), and generally “safer” to havoc (for those who prefer that).

I think addressing server imbalance and bandwagoning is going to take more than a single, simple change like a new transfer cost structure.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

• There’s no incentive for unaffiliated players to transfer from a full to a low-pop world.
  • There are also incentives for moving to higher-pop worlds: better fights, better coverage (so more likely to be competitive), better chance of finding a zerg (for those who want), and generally “safer” to havoc (for those who prefer that).

I think addressing server imbalance and bandwagoning is going to take more than a

I don’t get why unaffiliated players should be encouraged to move downward. It is the guilds that need to spread out to create dynamic and enjoyable tiers. Unless this is the “Get off the map so I can bring my guild in, losers.” thing.

World size only makes havoking safer on a full world when you have a mismatch. Havok becomes getting run over repeatedly when facing a large world, regardless of the size of your own. Unless it is TC, where you can usually take most everything on its third of your map and the other enemy’s map without encountering any significant resistance with a roaming group, and if you are the type of low-life to do so, spawn camp those thirds with a havok group.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Unaffiliated players make up the greater percentage of the wvw population than guilds players.

No matter how bad one’s guild is and how incapable one’s guild leader is, regardless of what kind of guilds, a guild on a T1 or T2 server will always grow much easier compare to guilds that are on T3 or T4 server, simply because of the number of unaffiliated players to recruit from. If bad guild move downwards, they will start to die, that is why guilds from T1 and T2 often don’t go downwards, especially to a least populated server. That is why you see tiny guilds from lower tier grew so much after they went T1 and T2.

Anyway, the suggestion is absurd, why should a medium server cost as much as a very high server for that duration of link, why should the medium server be punished because of the link, a link that will change every 2 months.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

lol…
i thought tis an individual rank…. like diamond wvw rank for the cost of 10000 gems lol

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

(edited by Norbe.7630)

in WvW

Posted by: boolah.1325

boolah.1325

absolute rubbish

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think addressing server imbalance and bandwagoning is going to take more than a

I don’t get why unaffiliated players should be encouraged to move downward. It is the guilds that need to spread out to create dynamic and enjoyable tiers. Unless this is the “Get off the map so I can bring my guild in, losers.” thing.

World size only makes havoking safer on a full world when you have a mismatch. Havok becomes getting run over repeatedly when facing a large world, regardless of the size of your own. Unless it is TC, where you can usually take most everything on its third of your map and the other enemy’s map without encountering any significant resistance with a roaming group, and if you are the type of low-life to do so, spawn camp those thirds with a havok group.

I probably explained it poorly. In a free-r market, unaffiliated people would swap worlds until they found a good fit for their play style. In the current system, those moves are discouraged by the high cost of trying out another world.

That leaves the only mechanic for rebalancing populations in the hands of guilds that can afford to hop around and their motivations for moving haven’t, as yet, led to better balance — just differently imbalanced scenarios. With the first set of linkages, guilds interested in T1 fights moved to linked low-tier servers. Prior to that, guilds moved en masse when for Seasons or to turn the tide of battle for one particular world (leaving their former worlds to flounder, in some cases).

All that’s a lot of words to say: whatever system we have now discourages people from moving in a way that achieves even balance — the costs for moving are too high for most people to consider it at all.

To be honest, I’m not sure what the ‘best’ solution would be. I know that giving people a reason to consider moving from high to low pop would catalyze a change in current dynamics. Perhaps you’re right and it wouldn’t do enough.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

Problem: The linked worlds have to low transfer costs, such that now a hord of bandwaggoners move around between them based on the rank they are linked to..

Solution: Base Transfer-Costs on the rank a world/set of linked worlds currently have, e.g.

Tier 1 (rank 1-3): 3000gems
Tier 2 (rank 4-6): 2500gems
Tier 3 (rank 7-9): 2000gems
Tier 4 (rank 10-12): 1500gems
Tier 1 (rank 13-15): 1000gems
Tier 1 (rank 16-18): 500gems

Do you belive somebody would play www mode if they don’t enjoy the current comunity, just because is to expensive to transfer out ?.

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in WvW

Dayra.7405

If you just want to leave your current Community to find something different you find (as today) a Server for 500 Gems to go. In fact more than one, currently 4 in EU-T6 (a French, a German, 2 English) and 9 Server in NA-T4.

Only if your primary goal is wtj, you have to pay more.

But the main goal of this proposal is not to etablish higher costs (prices are for Illustration only), but to close the much to cheap back-door into the top-ranked server via linked server that encouraged more wtj-transfers.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

I saw the title and thought op meant personal wvw rank. that would be an interesting idea.

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I wonder how things would be different if Guilds weren’t unlinked from servers way back when. If Guilds had to restart at level 0 every time they moved, it would be a bigger decision to move.