QoL Request: Mega Server Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: expandas.7051

expandas.7051

Dear ArenaNet developers,

I’d like to submit a formal request for the Obsidian Sanctum to be changed from a one-instance-per-tier setup to a mega server instance. I should preface by saying that I don’t have an understanding of the back-end technical intricacies that would need to be navigated in order to make this a reality, but I can speak about the potential pros and cons this change would introduce.

Pros:

• Greater communication and interaction between players on different servers and tiers.
  • Opens up the possibility of cross-server and cross-tier community events.
  • Provides a central area for players that enjoy dueling and theory-crafting new and creative builds to convene.
  • Greatly mitigates the demand for guild hall arenas to use WvW skill balancing.
  • Reduces the barrier of entry for teams looking to get involved in the community developed guild vs guild scene.

Cons:

• An influx of players could lead to increased abuse and harassment towards players attempting to complete the jumping puzzle.
  • Potential decrease in gem sales for the purposes of server transfers if and only if the affected players are transferring servers for the purposes of holding scrimmages in the current one-instance-per-tier Obsidian Sanctum.

That’s all I’ve got. I’m open to comments and questions you might have and would be more than happy to assist in making this a reality.

in WvW

Posted by: MaLeVoLenT.8129

MaLeVoLenT.8129

I 100% back this idea. It’s a good one.

~The Mad Court~ [OnS]Onslaught GM
Malevolent Omen -Guardian
Mad King Mal -Rev

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

+1

Asked this for ages. Perhaps we will actually find other people, and perhaps even enemies in the JP, so there is actually some pvp on this map.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

Would be good if you could ‘choose teams’ to pick a color for there. It would allow guilds from the same server to GVG in a large enough space as well. If it is EOTM style without choice, the problem still exists that guilds from other tiers would have to time their matches when the are on competing colors.

The Guild hall arena has the capability to choose which team color, so it would be logical that it is possible.

Again, like OP stated, the remaining technical challenges may not be something that could be easily overcome.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I’d like to submit a formal request for the Obsidian Sanctum to be changed from a one-instance-per-tier setup to a mega server instance.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter sir.

It has been suggested numerous times before, it shouldn’t be that hard to do, just another eotm instance basically with OS as the map and no scoring.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think it’s about time it should be megaservered.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Woof.1950

Woof.1950

Anet, pls, make this happen
+1

in WvW

expandas.7051

With the 3/7 change to Epidemic in WvW, the need for mega server instancing of Obsidian Sanctum is greater than ever before. Please spread the word.

in WvW

Posted by: Ann Jay.2950

Ann Jay.2950

Pandas, thank you for writing this up! This would be fantastic on so many levels.

+1

| Areianna Firebloom ~ YB | & |Reylah Wrynn ~ SBI |

in WvW

Posted by: Farout.8207

Farout.8207

I totally agree!
+1

~ Cleetus

in WvW

Posted by: Aizza.4950

Aizza.4950

Nice one Expandas! +1

Guild Officer|Head Recruiter|Strait Outta Kryta [KRTA]
SBI NA Fight Guild|4 WvW Raids/week Mail me for info
Champion Illusionist|Champion Shadow|Champion Magus|Champion Paragon|Champion Genius

in WvW

expandas.7051

Friendly bump

in WvW

Posted by: zwolf.1695

zwolf.1695

OMG – I just suggested this thought today!!! This need to happen! Please Anet, P L E A S E!

Xio the Watcher – DWD of Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Packit.8576

Packit.8576

This would be awesome

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

up good idea

bring back jumping puzzle days

in WvW

Posted by: QuickRain.4735

QuickRain.4735

+1 this
Also had a pretty close to the same thing but expanded ideas

•1. Personally I would change OS to an instance similar to the PvP lobby, change the spawn to a singular spawn point allowing and cross-servers( basically the mega-server idea)

•2. Change Instance so it has two different arenas similar to the ones that’s already there and keep the JP for the random fun

•3. Lock the arena’s for 2 teams of 15 repping the same guild tag (to prevent trolls)

•4. Also, have a team of 1 for possible streamers (Perma Invis? No Reveal? no access to skills)

• 2v2,3v3, 5v5,10v10,15v15 etc… can be changed respectively (agreed before the round)
    •5. Stands can be entered for “viewing purposes” meaning no access to skills (can be implemented upon entering OS Arena area

in WvW

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

This wouldn’t change anything. The only reason people went to OS was because you couldn’t buy siege before and it was the best place to farm it for the week. All it would do it make GvGing slightly harder as you may run into others trying to gvg in the arena.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in WvW

expandas.7051

I don’t quite understand your last sentence there. Could you explain?

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

This wouldn’t change anything. The only reason people went to OS was because you couldn’t buy siege before and it was the best place to farm it for the week. All it would do it make GvGing slightly harder as you may run into others trying to gvg in the arena.

I think the idea was to have lot of instances like EotM/PvE. So if you port in with a guild, then some of the guild members will be kicked to another empty instance, then you can taxi your guild/enemy guild in. Teamchat could work across obsidian maps to look for other guilds (or for taxi to some guilds fight) and mapchat in the obsidian map the player is in.

In ideal situation you could talk to enemy players through some kind of LFG system to prevent chatspam and choose a team you belong in, so you wont be limited to fighting green/blue guilds if your server happens to be red. <- These would be the only 2 things that would require some little work on, because there really isn’t exactly similar perfect system yet.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Cons:

• An influx of players could lead to increased abuse and harassment towards players attempting to complete the jumping puzzle.

Isn’t that the entire point of obs?

Pretty sure that isn’t a “Con” ;-)

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in WvW

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

+1
Throw us a bone, please.

Pumpkin – Mag

in WvW

Posted by: Mysteriax.6049

Mysteriax.6049

+1 Good idea. I’d like to see this happen.

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Drinks.2361

Drinks.2361

This is an excellent idea, although I wouldn’t call increased harassment of people trying to complete the puzzle a con. Pvp in the puzzle is the best part.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

+1 and should have been done long ago.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: noot.8641

noot.8641

+1 this is an awesome idea.
Can u please listen to the community for this 1, anet?

in WvW

Posted by: Radioactive.1248

Radioactive.1248

As someone who has been in the GvG community for some time now, I can assure you, this would be an amazing and appreciated change.

Also, you could just make the guild hall WvW combat and with a bigger fighting area.

Star Player
[KEK]

in WvW

Posted by: McGodd.9427

McGodd.9427

This is a great idea and would be extremely beneficial to a lot of people playing the game mode.

[BoRP] Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

+1
Very good idea actually…

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Posted by: thebeaRRRRR.8640

thebeaRRRRR.8640

Please consider this idea anet. The SEA WvW community would benefit greatly from this. At the moment, the SEA community is concentrated on a few servers, and at times glicko would toss a server into a tier with 2 other dead SEA servers leading to very boring matchups. This idea would give us options to scrim other guilds in other servers.

Fighting in EOTM and guild halls are options, but they are really bad alternatives. EOTM is really prone to trolling and there are weird extra buffs/cannons etc that doesn’t make fights fair, and the way guild hall overflow works, it takes a lot of time to get everyone onto the same overflow.

This particular idea would allow us to fight each other across tiers and add some action into the timezone.

[AHMA] Giam Chye Cha Loti
Ele, guardian
Ultimate Dominator

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

BAHAHAHA

ok heres a real answer….

Ready kids?

Anet sells OS instances like they sold pvp arenas.

#rekt

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Mysteriax.6049

Mysteriax.6049

Bump for a good idea that I’d like to see implemented.

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

Still dreaming of actually finding other people in this map.

in WvW

Posted by: Sinfullysweet.4517

Sinfullysweet.4517

I actually like that idea. After last night, I was exposed to the beauty of GvG in ObS. Either that or make another map for GvG’s. (Kind of like custom arenas in sPvP)

[OTG] ~ [GAME]~ [ROAM]~[AUTH]~ [LOFT]
Current Home: Yaks Bend Former Home: Maguuma/TC/SBI
Sin’s Characters on Gw2efficiency

in WvW

Posted by: K THEN.5162

K THEN.5162

+17 I’d like to see this implemented

Elementally Challenged Asuran Roamer

in WvW

Posted by: rbbthole.9074

rbbthole.9074

I’d like to submit a formal request for the Obsidian Sanctum to be changed from a one-instance-per-tier setup to a mega server instance.

+1

in WvW

Posted by: JonnyForgotten.4276

JonnyForgotten.4276

+1 Sounds way better than roaming WvW looking for people to duel. Also, would love it if we could choose colors on entering so we could use the space for build testing with guildies and such.

in WvW

expandas.7051

I just wanted to clarify one thing about the potential impact on server transfers. I think it would be highly unlikely that a Mega Server Obisidian Sanctum would negatively impact ArenaNet’s bottom line. Everything is of course, theoretically possible, but we’re not currently, at least anecdotally on NA, seeing very many server transfers by guilds for the specific goal of fighting in Obsidian Sanctum. I think there are plenty of other reasons why a guild might decide to move- escaping tier one, glicko manipulation, less “blobby” gameplay, to name a few. However, I think you’d be hard pressed to find a WvW veteran who doesn’t think the potential pros outweigh the cons.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I literally can’t think of any negatives either.

Please remember that the decision to create the stadium area has been one of the most successful implementation of virtually anything created in WvW. From this small expenditure of effort, you have created something that has spawned an entire subculture of WvW which has taken upon a new life. It’s also been a boon to other folk who may be complaining of potential conflicts that arise in the main maps.

You even took the time to help out GvGs by making sure the map didn’t have the effect of bloodlust. Fights here are valued over Guild Hall fights due to size and pve balance issues over there.

Finally, remember that this area was created to deal with a misunderstanding with GvG’ers and Anet. It’s a symbol of respect between the developers and its players.

Now, I think we’ve established that this little corner of WvW has provided so much from so little. When you add the few things of value learned from EOTM, aka the advantages of letting more people meet and fight, then it I can say in all sincerity that any time invested in improving this area will not be a waste. In fact, not taking advantage of it would be the real waste.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

Sure, I guess. Even though the current OS leads to interruptions in regards to GvGs. That or it’s just this guild, idk. I would prefer the current guild halls use WvW game mode rules and their arena size increased, or create a new spvp map for GvG’s specifically. I can’t say those suggestions are more or less work than the OP.

The only technical limitation I am aware of is that it takes ANET about 3 months to switch maps or something. Search function doesn’t work great so I can’t find it.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

+1 to OP ideea

Anything would help, and maybe slowly this could be expanded to allow GvG with any guild, regardless their current server. And more. But let’s just keep it at one dream a time.

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

in WvW

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

Make OS Great Again!

One of those cons is no longer relevant as Anet wants players and guilds to stick to a server or you will have a drastic decrease in rewards from the new pip system.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

No what needs to happen is.
- Make end chest char bound again instead of account
- Enable siege usage again.
- Make it part of EB again.

It lost all life when these 3 got removed.

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

One of those cons is no longer relevant as Anet wants players and guilds to stick to a server or you will have a drastic decrease in rewards from the new pip system.

I really don’t care about their “pip system”, just want to fight players who want and are able to fight me back, in a team of 10 to 20, or 5 to 15. That’s the ONLY part in the entire GW2 that could be and still is FUN, despite huge balance problems. This is the part – team fights – that should be the core around which WvW to be rebuilt and balanced… because this can be fun for years, never getting old, just give a background, a reason to fight forever: a realm, a ranking system, something that remembers and shows your improvement.

The new update & rewards are welcome, could bring in more new players (and they could become good players in time, there is always a start), but gives nothing competitive, it’s just capture focused again. Also server identity is gone, loyalty wasn’t rewarded ever, so no, they don’t want sticking, not yet. There is still no reason to play, beyond bags & legendary gear – no fame system, realm loyalty sytem, no reason for epic fights between teams. I love fights, but even I see it as not fun for a long time this fighting without a reason. Something is missing; the heart of the RvR system: caring for your realm and your realm remembering you for that, the inspirational part, that makes you to carry on and don’t give up. Capturing things that nobody cares of, for loot that soon isn’t needed anymore (though is good, but after you are geared is pointless) doesn’t inspire anyone to fight.

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

Still a good idea. Anet please ask your engineers if they can do this.:)

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

+1 Still want this.