Question about critical damage in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Xca.9721

Xca.9721

So I´m running gs/ mace shield warrior ; armor/weapons ascended -> full marauder stats ; trinkets -> full berserker stats.

Yesterday I did up to 7k critical damage with the berserk gs f1. Today it was max. critical damage of 2.3 k. It is kinda weird since I thought that the critical damage should always be roughly the same. Any ideas why the damage fluctuates so much?

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

So I´m running gs/ mace shield warrior ; armor/weapons ascended -> full marauder stats ; trinkets -> full berserker stats.

Yesterday I did up to 7k critical damage with the berserk gs f1. Today it was max. critical damage of 2.3 k. It is kinda weird since I thought that the critical damage should always be roughly the same. Any ideas why the damage fluctuates so much?

Depends on what you’re hitting. How much dmg reduction the enemies have.

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Weakness, maybe?

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Xca.9721

Depends on what you’re hitting. How much dmg reduction the enemies have.

Well I was fighting versus an axe/shield ; gs warrior, never fought against this build since I´m coming from pvp where most ppl use meta builds. Maybe he just applied weakness on my all the time, didn´t pay attention tbh.

in WvW

Xca.9721

Weakness, maybe?

Yea that could be it, didn´t pay attention unfortunately

in WvW

Posted by: ich.7086

ich.7086

Remember that gs f1 does about 50% more damage on <50% health target which may explain a huge part of the gap.

I Am An Intruder – War 80
Ich Bin Marc – Thief 80
All Your Dolyaks Are Belong To [Us] (Fort Ranik)

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

There a lot in the game that can lower power dmg.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Weakness is a condition that decreases the rate of endurance regeneration and turns half of all hits into glancing blows (that deal 50% less damage). Stacks of weakness increase the duration of the condition. Only stacks up to 5 times. Weakness deals defiance bar damage at a rate of 20 per second.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weakness

Weakness was prob involved

in WvW

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

Glancing blows (caused by weakness) don’t crit, so there won’t be lower “crit dmg” because of weakness, just lower crit rate + less dmg on some non critical hits.

It was more likely caused by different amounts of dmg reduction (toughness, protection, traits …). The axe/shield warrior was probably running high toughness + RR, maybe even dmg reduction food.

(edited by UmbraNoctis.1907)

in WvW

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Glancing blows (caused by weakness) don’t crit, so there won’t be lower “crit dmg” because of weakness, just lower crit rate + less dmg on some non critical hits.

It was more likely caused by different amounts of dmg reduction (toughness, protection, traits …). The axe/shield warrior was probably running high toughness + RR, maybe even dmg reduction food.

True

“A glancing hit, also known as a glancing blow or simply as glancing, is a game mechanic that causes an attack to deal only 50% of regular damage and lose any critical damage. Glancing affects only direct damage, not damage dealt by conditions.”

But maybe he runs the trait that gives f1-skills 100% crit chance which lead him to believe it was a crit when ti wasnt

Anyways yes i was thinking about RR too.

in WvW

Xca.9721

Hm yes, the combat feed showed me that the hits were definitely critical.. could be that trait in this case: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rousing_Resilience which is really annoying to fight against..

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Location of the fight could factor in as well, if you’re near a keep claimed by your team benefitting from the keeps buffs.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Namer.9750

Namer.9750

As has been said, a bunch of factors could affect your damage.

One thing I’d like to point out is that I roam on an GS/Axe+Shield Warrior. I run Marauder’s + Knight’s Stats, and depending on the look of the enemy I’ll switch between Cleansing Ire and Rousing Resilience.

If I saw you, a Warrior, coming at me with a Greatsword, I’d immediately switch to Rousing Resilience. I have the equivalent of 3.3k armour naturally, that’d go up to 4.3k with Rousing Resilience, which would explain the massive drop in your damage (i.e you hit a squishy running 2.3k armour at low hp with F1, then hit someone with 4k armour at high hp later).

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Toughness and damage reduction on an enemy are big factors swaying damage on an opponent. Also traits and skill descriptors. Then we have damage modifiers. For example:

3000 power, 1100 avg weapon dmg, 1.32 Arc Divider, no modifiers, 2.25 crit damage against 2000 armor: (3000 * 1100 * 1.32 * 2.25) / 2000 = 4901

Same setup against 3500 armor: 2800

Add in Stick and Move, Berserker’s Power, Burst Mastery, Always Angry, Blood Reaction on a target with 20% health and 2k armor:

(3000 * 1100 * 2.31 * 2.45 * 1.1 * 1.2 * 1.07 * 1.07) / 2000 = 14112

and this illustrates both the variance in crit hits but also just how powerful multipliers are (and why low armor characters stay away from glowing red zerkers).

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)