Questionable Damage

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: iKeostuKen.2738

iKeostuKen.2738

Hi all, Im trying to get a better understanding of this game’s wvw system. Currently damage I take and damage I dish out seem to be very questionable.

I’m currently running full exotic Power/Prec/Condi damage on my non upleveled mesmer and i’m only tickling enemies, stopping at 2.1k power. But I’m taking what seems to be baffling damage from skills across the board.

My thief seems to be the only character in WvW that does any respectable damage but hes literally full glass rare armor, exotic weapons and melts against any and every build.

Throwing in a picture to give an example of whats going on.

Attachments:

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Hi all, Im trying to get a better understanding of this game’s wvw system. Currently damage I take and damage I dish out seem to be very questionable.

I’m currently running full exotic Power/Prec/Condi damage on my non upleveled mesmer and i’m only tickling enemies, stopping at 2.1k power. But I’m taking what seems to be baffling damage from skills across the board.

My thief seems to be the only character in WvW that does any respectable damage but hes literally full glass rare armor, exotic weapons and melts against any and every build.

Throwing in a picture to give an example of whats going on.

Firstly the stats you chose are not good for power damage and not amazing for condi damage either. The traits needed to make condi and power mesmer builds work are often not in the same lines either so you can either be kind of meh at all of it or be decent at condi or power.

I would suggest picking either power and going with berserker or marauder gear or choose condition damage and go with either trailblazer, dire or rabid gear. Don’t mix condi and power builds, it generally doesn’t work.

Second thing is DH counters power shatter mesmer to the point that you should pretty much not take that fight unless you are very experienced on the build.

Finally if you build full glass you will take insane amount of damage. I run full zerk and have been hit for 2-3k auto attacks from range very often, seen non burst skills do 7-8k and burst skills do anything from 10-15k damage. When you run glass you take a huge risk of being exploded in one hit if you aren’t paying attention and if you’re a glass mesmer you have just over 15k health so a lot of builds can 2 hit you if not 1 hit down you. This is why I say run marauder as you can get upto 23k health which provides enough of a health buffer for you to run.

Edit: Also power mesmer has garbage sustained damage and unless you burst from stealth a pretty well telegraphed burst too so isn’t too hard to avoid most of a power mesmers damage.

(edited by apharma.3741)

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: iKeostuKen.2738

iKeostuKen.2738

You would think if something worked well in SPvP it would do ok in WvW as well =/ Used to run full celestial mesmer and my damage was never that bad.

Also that 7k crit was when I was playing on my thief, sorry. I was a little baffled by the damage since LB 5 is a CC skill and was more then I could push out with a single unload burst on a full glass build.

Thanks for the advice though, gotta figure out how to score a set with those stats.

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

You would think if something worked well in SPvP it would do ok in WvW as well =/ Used to run full celestial mesmer and my damage was never that bad.

Also that 7k crit was when I was playing on my thief, sorry. I was a little baffled by the damage since LB 5 is a CC skill and was more then I could push out with a single unload burst on a full glass build.

Thanks for the advice though, gotta figure out how to score a set with those stats.

Both thief and mesmer rely on not taking the damage (in the power builds anyway) in the first place. It’s called active defence and why most mesmers run sword and torch in one set so they can use blurred frenzy for an evade, illusionary leap to create distance and prestige for stealthing away.

For thief it’s mainly stealth and teleporting in and out while running away if the fight doesn’t go in your favour and try again in 30s. For daredevil you can take bandits defence for a great block which helps against most classes.

Ultimately if you see a DH don’t fight it, you’ll not win 90% of the time on either class so don’t bother till you’re very confident from duelling friends or others in WvW.

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Check this picture out. It’s some kind of super leet build. For your info, I am not running full glass and I’ve never done this kind of condi dmg in wvw either. Even worse is the fact that this was done by an elementalist.

Edit: Only logical reasoning I can think of is I got hit with enough stacks of vulnerability, but does vulnerability affect condi damage, and why have I never hit this kind of number before? I’ve been playing condi heavy builds recently too.

Attachments:

gaem not made for mi
===========

(edited by Roxanne.6140)

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

the stats you chose are not good for power damage and not amazing for condi damage either. The traits needed to make condi and power mesmer builds work are often not in the same lines either so you can either be kind of meh at all of it or be decent at condi or power.

I would suggest picking either power and going with berserker or marauder gear or choose condition damage and go with either trailblazer, dire or rabid gear. Don’t mix condi and power builds, it generally doesn’t work.

Agreed
Gw2 lets you do everything poorly, should you choose.
Specialization is key

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

After all is said and done… if you’re not fully upgraded with your character, geared with all exotic gear (or better) with proper stats and runes, and have the specializations set optimally for what you want, you can’t expect much more than what you’re getting.

Others above have offered advice on how to possibly build your character, but frankly if it’s not leveled up and geared and spec’d out properly you’re just going to die a lot.

… just call me … Tim :)

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Ever since HoT both condi and power damage has been through the roof.

Yesterday I got hit for 8K damage of gunflame, that’s on a 2000 toughness build so… He would have done maybe 10-12K damage vs someone unarmoured? Now how the heck does a skill with a base damage of 928 go to over 10K? Well I know how and there’s no science behind it, just stack all the damage. But still, we’re looking at damage modifiers of 10x+ from base after all is said and done.

I think that is an insane leap of damage and it always leaves me wondering whether Anet really intended this or not. They’re not fixing anything so obviously they dont care now, but was damage actually meant to go this high from the beginning?

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

… and sadly toughness means nothing against condi. Even when you hit the “take no damage” skill or utility it doesn’t stop condi. So with these nasty condi builds, unless you have lots of condi clear and can hit it quick.. you’re gonna go down fast when a group hits you.

… just call me … Tim :)

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Now how the heck does a skill with a base damage of 928 go to over 10K?

Wiki doesn’t use ascended equipment for any of its calculations. Also its based off of how the game calculates its tooltips meaning it uses 2600 armour. So saying “base damage of 928” isnt accurate at all.

Technically with an ascended rifle against 2000 armour it has a “base” damage of 1138~1392. This is with no power at all. Its not hard to see how it hit you so hard with an average power+ferocity investment for a power focused build.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

Questionable Damage

in WvW

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

Ever since HoT both condi and power damage has been through the roof.

Yesterday I got hit for 8K damage of gunflame, that’s on a 2000 toughness build so… He would have done maybe 10-12K damage vs someone unarmoured? Now how the heck does a skill with a base damage of 928 go to over 10K? Well I know how and there’s no science behind it, just stack all the damage. But still, we’re looking at damage modifiers of 10x+ from base after all is said and done.

I think that is an insane leap of damage and it always leaves me wondering whether Anet really intended this or not. They’re not fixing anything so obviously they dont care now, but was damage actually meant to go this high from the beginning?

Well, on a build editor without any modifiers, food, traits, bloodlust stacks or Might ect(so just Zerker armor, rifle and accessories, and Pack Runes)Gunflame is around 2500 base damage. Then just add full might stacks, power food and wrench, bloodlust stacks even w/o any damage modifiers or other buffs or crits it’s 3,600 base damage. But to get crazy damage, you’re a sitting duck for most meta builds played well. If you didn’t, you should have seen GF when it was actually OP. Go find some vids for a good laugh.

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers