REQUEST: Tone down the territory indicator

in WvW

Posted by: Radjan Majere.4208

Radjan Majere.4208

I think this was a reasonable way to do gliding in WvW, offer more reason to control territory, (only mostly, apparently) prevent people from gliding into objectives to take them… but… the WvW map looks… fugly.

If gliding ends up staying, please consider thinner lines or something so we can see the territory marks but not make it so prominent. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it seems harder for me to look at the big map and get a sense of the map – it’s too busy.

Too early for me to comment on balance and other impacts, but this impact was immediate. Just one man’s opinion and request; others may see it differently.

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I will have to agree with you on the border thickness

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: stormstyle.3578

stormstyle.3578

Agree! The lines on the map is to thick. Maybe an setting to enable and disable lines?

[TAL] Uhino
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

There is a setting in options to disable it

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

There are several factors to consider here other than fuglyness. Many of our players have pre-existing vision problems up to an including poor or aging eyesight or even color blindness.

Coming from a background designing HMI sytems for process automation, I can tell you there are a plethora of different opinions, vision needs and safety factors to consider in these situations, and it’s worse when you’re “upgrading” an existing system. It may seem as simple as draw and make it visually appealing, but it’s not.

Now, the designers in this case couldn’t do anything about the existing background of the displays (ie BLs), but in order to to add this new functionality they had to consider who all would be looking at it and what vision challenges those operators bring to the table.

TLDR; The thickness of the border lines will seem overwhelming to a normal sighted person, add in the color and you have fugly and busy. But, if they thinned the lines and kept the existing team colors, our players with vision problems may find it difficult to spot problem areas.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

There are several factors to consider here other than fuglyness. Many of our players have pre-existing vision problems up to an including poor or aging eyesight or even color blindness.

Coming from a background designing HMI sytems for process automation, I can tell you there are a plethora of different opinions, vision needs and safety factors to consider in these situations, and it’s worse when you’re “upgrading” an existing system. It may seem as simple as draw and make it visually appealing, but it’s not.

Now, the designers in this case couldn’t do anything about the existing background of the displays (ie BLs), but in order to to add this new functionality they had to consider who all would be looking at it and what vision challenges those operators bring to the table.

TLDR; The thickness of the border lines will seem overwhelming to a normal sighted person, add in the color and you have fugly and busy. But, if they thinned the lines and kept the existing team colors, our players with vision problems may find it difficult to spot problem areas.

If there was an option to make it thin or thick, that should work for everyone.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

I’ve heard that blinking lines vs static lines were also helpful in some situations.

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

I’ve heard that blinking lines vs static lines were also helpful in some situations.

True, animations can assist visually impaired operators, but they also delve into system requirement areas that would cause or exasperate problems for other users.

A 3 layer system (as is thick lines, thinner static lines or flashy medium thickness lines) 1 of the 3 options selectable by individual user preference would be nice, but would require programming time Anet may not be able to or want to devote to such a project.

We need to know, if gliding is disabled will territories remain? If so, then there’s certainly time to try and make these borders more visually appealing and user friendly. If not, there’s no point in worrying about it.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Magolith.9412

Magolith.9412

I’m partially color blind and would prefer having an option for differently patterned lines instead of animated or thin/thick. I personally wouldn’t want blinking lines.

The green/red objective markers are bad enough, let alone thin colored lines (especially on desert bl’s minimap).

[WS] Mesmer Mag

(edited by Magolith.9412)

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

well personally I think it’s ok but that may be just my opinion – what I was afraid bte was if they decided to colour full territories instead of just border europa universalis style…..

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

I would like to keep the territory dividers, but I would not mind seeing an opacity slider in the graphical options for them as some have suggested. Either that or have the overall thickness of the lines reduced and the color toned down some.

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

somewhat related note – those border overlays does not always render

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I dont even think thinner lines are needed. If it’s 80% transparency now… just set to 60% or something. Simple.