Rally together and quit this game

in WvW

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

A simple change would give wvw a new lease on life.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Different-Color-Commander-Tags-Private-Tags/first

It is so insanely simple and yet, SUPPLY MASTERY!

Kitten!

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

in WvW

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Good to see the gw2 community can keep up with the wow community’s irrational “I Quit” forum nerd-rage

in WvW

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

Most of the WvW and PVP community I’ve experienced have been very kind and level-headed reasonable people, who love the game and what we have so far.

Even more so then some of the toxic PvE folks I know.

Anet hasn’t dissapointed yet. Implementation does take time and everyone hates waiting. Patience is a virtue.

Some of them are growing restless and are eager for more… and then on the other end of that are people like you.

You’re in that emotive irrational minority of folks that every game with an online element has.

You don’t speak for anybody but yourself. Further, declaring on the public forums that you’re going to do your best to be a toxic community element isn’t very smart.

You’re on the record for that now. Well done!

Allow myself to quote…myself.

The last time I anticipated a game as much as Guild Wars 2 was Final Fantasy 7. I grew up playing Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3 on Nintendo (NES and SNES) and when Square announced a Final Fantasy as launch title I pre-ordered my PlayStation and my copy of Final Fantasy 7 that day…and when it came out I played the breaks off of that game (the clock maxed at 99:99:99 and I thought how much they’d underestimated people would be playing this game).

Ever since then no game has been the kind of thing I followed like a religion until Guild Wars 2, which I originally wrote off as a cheap Aion clone when they first began putting out details about it years ago. But, being the kind of nerd I am, I like to back up my hatred of other games from a position of knowledge and I continued to follow the info stream until they hooked me during the 2010 hype blitz. It blew my mind, and when I got my hands on the PAX demo it blew me away again, and when I finally got to play it from the comfort of my own home in Beta it blew me away yet again…twice!

That being said, Guild Wars 2 simply cannot be measured in terms of games that have come before it, it can only serve as the measure for games that have yet to come. It’s a shining beacon for hope to the true artists of the industry.

and again…

A very wise man once said:

“Jesus was perfect and he only had twelve friends and one of them was a hater.”

Haters will hate. That’s what they are, that’s what they do. I couldn’t care less what a bunch of haters have to say, nor am I concerned with the ramifications of them being haters. I have faith in the GW2 dev’s that they’re not pulling any punches in making the best game they are physically, psychologically and economically capable of creating. The hype of “Best Game Ever” is a lot to live up to, but ANet has proven that they’re ready to back up their big talk.

Now fast forward over a year from when I made those statements, and here we are. Arena Net toxified a die hard fan.

I’m not this way for lack of reason. I’m not some random fanboy. I’m not some MMO tourist. I am the same angry jaded MMO hater Arena Net got to zealously commit to their game and then, after point of purchase, have turned their backs on with a PvE development model.

Your judgement of my character is unfounded, and I genuinely don’t care if I am labeled a toxic member of the PvP community. I will always say what needs to be said to every developer, in every company, at any tier of that company. Worst case scenario is I get ignored, which is what they all do anyhow, so in the end at least I can get it off my chest.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

in WvW

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Arena Net toxified a die hard fan.

I too was a die hard fan that was quickly turned away by the management of the game and the direction they took. I forced myself to play for 10-11 months in hope that heir promises of making it better would come true only to be disappointed more each time. I even supported them through gems….

I have recently stopped logging on and I can’t honestly say I miss it at all. I literally only logged on for dailies and not because I wanted to do them, but because of the “achievement points” (yeah… because those are achievements…).

Just flat out horrible class balance that effects everything in the game. Temporary content instead of fixes to the bugs and failed class mechanics that have been in game for almost one year. Huge divergent course from original selling point of the game for horizontal progression (when it takes you more than two days to respec in a game about “aesthetics” there is a problem). Super childish “Achievements” that you get for doing basically nothing. There are hardly any true achievements in this game.

The only good achievements to be added to this game were “Faster than light” and " The 15 minute one for blowing up the ship (sorry can’t remember the name)". You actually had to achieve something to get these. Instead of grinding out 200+ mobs or eating something…

Just a huge flop when compared to guild wars 1. Which I played for over 7 years easily without getting tried of it one bit.

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Why wouldn’t they focus on living world. They are making a ton of money of it. They are probably making Turbine Store level money off of it.

Nothing is free. The one time price you paid for Gw2 only goes so far. There are no ads on the site or in the game to make money from. They’ve got to make money somewhere. WvW actually restricts money. My WvW Guild requires wearing the guild chest piece, so I don’t even bother with cosmetics grinding for the most part since the Guild Chest piece is ugly and nothing goes with it.

I am not saying I like it, but it does make perfect sense to me. Yeh I like WvW, but absolutely no money comes from it.

This was ANets choice in business model to expand the market share. They could have just as easily committed those resources to sPvP or WvW, targeting that consumer base with microtransactions, game improvements, and overall additional content. THEY CHOSE to target unskilled PvE casuals and MMO tourists with garbage content violating the core of the company’s founding doctrine: innovation. Instead they put themselves on the path to becoming just another boring MMO from what was once the most anticipated and promising title to hit the genre since World of Warcraft (yes there was a time in which Blizzard was the very heart and soul of MMO innovation…how far they have fallen).

If they cared about the PvP crowd, the content model, the very method they use to make money and grow the IP, would reflect that. We are not targeted by the business model they developed with our very own funding. That collectors edition box I paid for in full the day pre-purchases went up was ultimately money taken and spent to create sub-par content with a monthly expiration date that I do not care for nor cares about me in return. Every dime I toss into the gem store in support of the game gets thrown straight into the pockets of NCSoft who make all the budgetary rules for ANet.

This game will gain more unskilled casuals and be a successful business for years to come…at the price of losing it’s WvW and sPvP fanbase, and likely be glad to be rid of us since we don’t fit into their chosen business models targeted audience. They’re on a fast track to being sellouts that abandoned innovation for profit forgetting true innovation is the most profitable thing imaginable. The audacity to think that I would not judge and ridicule them for doing so is foolish, as they targeted me by saying exactly what I’m repeating to them now. They know they’re doing wrong, because they were there leading the crowd with the ridicule of other MMOs…and then they decided to set themselves up to become them.

I guess you missed the point of what I said. Nobody works for free. Anet is not trying to provide you a free game with free constant updates. If they were going to relaying totally on box sales, they would either need to be releasing an expansion in a couple of months or preparing to shut the game down due to lack of profit. They do need to make money.

The game isn’t even a year old yet. Updates to Spvp and WvW will come, however it should be expected that they are focusing on the portions of the game that the most players participate in and the portions of the game that are most likely to generate money.

in WvW

Obscure One.4357

I guess you missed the point of what I said. Nobody works for free. Anet is not trying to provide you a free game with free constant updates. If they were going to relaying totally on box sales, they would either need to be releasing an expansion in a couple of months or preparing to shut the game down due to lack of profit. They do need to make money.

The game isn’t even a year old yet. Updates to Spvp and WvW will come, however it should be expected that they are focusing on the portions of the game that the most players participate in and the portions of the game that are most likely to generate money.

I call bull!@#$

“Major League Gaming CEO Sundance DiGiovanni summed up the live streaming and eSports panel at the 2013 Game Marketing Summit like this: “In five years, what we’ve been talking about it is going to hit a sweet spot with an audience of hundreds of millions. There’s an unparalleled growth curve here.”

(source)

Face it, the company deliberately doctored the business model based on decisions to produce bull!#$ content to target that same group of no-talent dip !#%s that like to watch bars fill up and get something shiny when it happens. They’ve bent over and sold out to the lame-stream gaming community, and at the current rate of PvP development, any hope or dream ANet has of ever drawing the mainstream competitive PvP crowd will be gone, and I will be gone with them…bet you’ll all feel better without guys like me around anyhow, but in the mean time I suppose I’ll try to be civil enough not to get permabanned so I have something to do until Destiny comes out…

Don’t get me wrong, WvW is still pretty entertaining. It’s just stale and is facing the most of the exact same problems right now that it had at launch…with a few new ones popping up every day. The team is clearly not equipped to handle it in anything near a timely manner, and the company refuses to shift its focus off of use-it-and-lose-it content to fix it.

in WvW

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

I have recently stopped logging on and I can’t honestly say I miss it at all. I literally only logged on for dailies and not because I wanted to do them, but because of the “achievement points” (yeah… because those are achievements…).

I will never understand this. You hate playing the game, but log in everyday just so can participate in a part of it that you… hate? (Not to mention, you stated you stopped logging in, except for dailies, which probably means logging in… daily).

I have a pretty radical idea I’d like to share with you. It’s kind of a new concept, not just in gaming, but for entertainment as a whole. Books, movies, tv shows, music, you name it. I think I can solve all your entertainment-related woes with one little suggestion. Are you ready?

If you’re not having fun… stop.

That’s it! There’s no need to torture yourself by playing a game you don’t enjoy any more! There really isn’t! Connect Four stopped being fun when I was eight. You know what? I haven’t played a game of Connect Four since I was eight! It’s amazing!

inb4 fanboy accusations: I’m not saying don’t criticize GW2 or ANet or NCSoft (by all means, criticize NCSoft!). This game isn’t perfect, and can be improved in many ways. But guess what, so can every other game, movie, tv show, book, website etc. But don’t complain about feeling obligated to play a game you no longer enjoy. The only one who makes you log in is you. And no, I’m not targeting you in particular, Vanthian. You just exemplified in this moment the exact mindset that I have never, and will never, understand.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in WvW

Obscure One.4357

I will never understand this.
-snip-

“We’re a company of passionate gamers with one mission: to make Guild Wars 2 the best MMORPG ever created.”’
-Mike O’Brien, Design Manifesto

If you feel Arena Net accomplished their mission you have low standards for what you’d consider the best MMORPG ever created.

Go ahead, give me the “they’re still improving the game” argument, I’ve got an even better quote from the development team to respond to that one

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

If you’re not having fun… stop.

This is simple and sound advice.

Trouble is with MMOs, you invest such a ridiculous amount of time getting the point where you believe you’ll be having fun that it’s difficult to rationalize quitting and finding a new game, which would also likely be another half-finished good idea.

in WvW

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Trouble is with MMOs, you invest such a ridiculous amount of time getting the point where you believe you’ll be having fun that it’s difficult to rationalize quitting and finding a new game, which would also likely be another half-finished good idea.

Not sure that really works in this game seeing as how the “time invested” in anything meaningful (short of the handful of WvW ranks) is… a week to level and free gear at 80 from karma? They’re handing out laurels at this point too…

We’re not talking Sunwell in Burning Crusade where you’d literally be throwing away half a year of dungeon grinding and tread-milling because M’uru kicked your butt.

If you feel Arena Net accomplished their mission you have low standards for what you’d consider the best MMORPG ever created.

How to instantly defeat your own stance: insult a person indirectly while not actually doing anything to refute the point aside from “No, my opinion on X is right. You are wrong!”

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

I will never understand this.
-snip-

“We’re a company of passionate gamers with one mission: to make Guild Wars 2 the best MMORPG ever created.”’
-Mike O’Brien, Design Manifesto

Go ahead, give me the “they’re still improving the game” argument, I’ve got an even better quote from the development team to respond to that one

Well, you got me there. I definitely reverently referenced the manifesto, said that GW2 was the best MMO ever created and is completely without flaw, and told you to be patient while they continued to improve the game. Not only did I do all those those things, you’ve masterfully, and thoughtfully, managed to counter all three of those points I spent a lot of time making.

Congratulations! The forums, nay, the Internet has been won on this day.

All I’m saying, is I continue playing the game because I continue enjoying the game. Why is it you continue to play the game again?

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Not sure that really works in this game seeing as how the “time invested” in anything meaningful (short of the handful of WvW ranks) is… a week to level and free gear at 80 from karma? They’re handing out laurels at this point too

The gear is not as grindy as many MMOs, but it does not take a week to fully level, gear, learn a class, and learn wvw with a modicum of proficiency either.

I played GW1 4-5 times a week from launch until every PvP format was dead and was never really bored with it…the only grind was HA ranks, which was a natural progression as you played the format anyway. Every time I play WvW I feel needlessly hassled or wasting hours doing something completely pointless to change a build.

It’s disappointing because the people who designed WvW had great ideas and a solid rough draft of how it should work, but the people charged with tweaking and maintaining it are either hamstrung by the usual corporate BS or totally out of tune with what the players want.

in WvW

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

What is this need people have to drag down others with them? If you don’t like the game, then just stop playing. This isn’t politics, it’s entertainment. If you aren’t entertained by Guild Wars 2 anymore, then there’s nothing to keep you here. Learn to let go…

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Show me one game with WvW or RvR where players are still playing. So no DaoC and WAR.
And i will go there.
Waiting for: ESO until CU comes out (at least internal beta)

in WvW

Obscure One.4357

-snip- All I’m saying, is I continue playing the game because I continue enjoying the game. Why is it you continue to play the game again?

My point in the rebuttal was not intended to be offensive…well at least not directed at you anyways. The reason people still play something is due to personal investment, which in this case was formulated under either false pretenses established by the developer or our own naive trust in them. We’ve poured hours into the game, progressed our characters, made friends, and had fun. Giving up that personal investment is not easy, thus even though people do not enjoy it, they stick with it hoping it’ll be better…which in WvW’s case only sets us up for disappointment as each patch comes and goes.

Perhaps I spend so little time actually complimenting Arena Net for their few successes that people think I totally hate them and the game. This couldn’t be further from the truth. The whole reason I hang out on these threads I because I like Guild Wars 2. What began as base suggestions I’ve tossed on the forums from time to time have evolved into full on ridicule because I’ve lost any genuine consideration for the Dev’s as they have lost any genuine consideration for me. I enjoy WvW, that’s why I play it. However I cannot ignore blatant issues that frustrate that fun, and then when I suggest fixes and report bugs all I see is “Hey check out the living story! We’ve got loads of new content!” . I’ve seen entire dungeons of content produced, refined, implemented, and then tossed out like it was garbage without a singular thing being addressed in WvW…basic things, like a comeasurate means to acquire ascended gear, or just be able to kick people from my party who log off.

My biggest issue, skill-lag, is presenting the bleakest problem the mode has faced as it will quickly turn “This is a great fight!” into “what the !@#$!!! I can’t do anything! Why the !@#$ did I just rubber-band across the screen!? ARGH!!!” , which, unless your some kind of freaky digital sadist (hey I don’t judge bro) is not fun. It’s not fun to see problem after problem go unfixed month after month, while we can all clearly tell they have a sizable development staff and budget to produce bi-weekly content that expires like a jug of milk.

I just can’t manage to not talk !#$ about a game that talked !#$ for years about how amazing it would be and here we are a year after it launches looking at boring PvE, unrefined sPvP, and stagnant WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

What is this need people have to drag down others with them? If you don’t like the game, then just stop playing. This isn’t politics, it’s entertainment. If you aren’t entertained by Guild Wars 2 anymore, then there’s nothing to keep you here. Learn to let go…

The main issue, is that there is POTENTIAL… it COULD be a fantastic MMO and possibly one of if not the best out there…..but they just can never seem to get it quite right….so right now, their is a large amount of people who have stopped playing, some people who have been playing since Beta, like myself, who still enjoy aspects of the game and in that group of people that stopped playing (some went to other games), but some….are hanging around HOPING the ANET gets their collective heads out of their kitten (not likely) to truly make this MMO what it should be…at least until someone else comes out and does it better…

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: shadowraith.9124

shadowraith.9124

I think the problem is WvW players don’t spend as much in the gem store as PvE players so the motivation for anet to devote a lot of time to WvW just isn’t there.

What them don’t seem to realise though is that WvW players don’t buy gems because of the way that Anet themselves designed WvW…

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

The main issue, is that there is POTENTIAL… it COULD be a fantastic MMO and possibly one of if not the best out there…..but they just can never seem to get it quite right….so right now, their is a large amount of people who have stopped playing, some people who have been playing since Beta, like myself, who still enjoy aspects of the game and in that group of people that stopped playing (some went to other games), but some….are hanging around HOPING the ANET gets their collective heads out of their kitten (not likely) to truly make this MMO what it should be…at least until someone else comes out and does it better…

Took the words right out of my mouth…

-Clean and GW2 Sober for going on 2 weeks now.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Obscure One.4357

I think the problem is WvW players don’t spend as much in the gem store as PvE players so the motivation for anet to devote a lot of time to WvW just isn’t there.

What them don’t seem to realise though is that WvW players don’t buy gems because of the way that Anet themselves designed WvW…

The reason we don’t buy gems is because we aren’t targeted by the gem store items. They’re only now going to be releasing custom finishers for PvP modes available at the gem store, and its literally the first thing to directly target WvW players. Custom finishers that I myself will likely be buying, because if I want to illicit change in the game I know “money talks, bull!@#% walks” is the general corporate philosophy. If I want the game to succeed I have to be part of that group that gives those soulless mother !#%ers at NCSoft enough money so that they see we are a profitable demographic to target...even though there is a power vacuum for a high quality skill based action game that's focused on PvP that GW2 could have filled if they weren't !#%ing away their budget on PvE.

Target the WvW demo with content and we’ll buy it. Custom finishers are a good start, now let’s push it further with some more stuff ANet…customizable Siege Golem suits? Alternate commander tag colors? You sell it, we’ll buy it.

in WvW

Posted by: shadowraith.9124

shadowraith.9124

Absolutely. Really like the commander badge idea, 0 effort to implement and would definitely sell. Some interesting purchaseable emotes would do well too. How about a limited use lootbag collector that will instantly pick up every lootbag in 2400 radius? I would be all over that!

Why are we having to tell Anet how to increase revenues? :S

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

“We’ve also transitioned from our original single Living World team, which operated with very short turn-around time for most of the first half of the year, to four Living World teams for the second half of the year.”

in https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

Okay. Glad to see this game’s heading in the direction we all want it to.

Why is this thread even a thing? The four teams were formed months ago.

… Right around when actual devs took over WvW with a full team.

Please post the link that says ANet has a full team for WvW. The last reference I remember at all was Habib telling us that WvW had two part time software guys who were being shared with other needs.

You certainly can’t point to anything since the removal of culling as evidence of a full time team. PvE is adding relatively major new content every two weeks with four teams, implying that one full team for WvW should be able to do something similar every two months or so. We’re not seeing anything remotely comparable. They haven’t even drained that stupid lake in the BLs yet like they said they would months ago.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

So what exactly are you saying? “Hanging around” doesn’t change anything. You are just wasting your own time, thinking that you’re something more then just another player. You’re not. You’re only setting yourself up for more disappointment. If you don’t like a movie, do you go in a watch it three more times, in the hopes that it will somehow become better? No, of curse not. You stop thinking about it and move on.

Life is full of bad investments. But if you enjoyed something, it can never really have been a waste of your time.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

in WvW

Obscure One.4357

Absolutely. Really like the commander badge idea, 0 effort to implement and would definitely sell. Some interesting purchaseable emotes would do well too. How about a limited use lootbag collector that will instantly pick up every lootbag in 2400 radius? I would be all over that!

It’s because the whole development model is focused intently on producing junk content to keep causals and MMO tourists playing “fill up the bar and win a prize!”

Easily added with minimal effort that would target WvW players with the gem store:
Badge Of Honor Drop Booster
World XP Booster
Unlimited Repair Canister
Account Bound Siege Weapon Backpack
Premium Guild Emblems
Automatic Feeder (consumes designated food and utility consumables in your inventory when their duration ends)

In addition to the custom color for commander tags I already mentioned I could rattle off gem store items we’d love to buy all day long.

in WvW

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

It’s because the whole development model is focused intently on producing junk content to keep causals and MMO tourists playing “fill up the bar and win a prize!”

Easily added with minimal effort that would target WvW players with the gem store:
World XP Booster
Premium Guild Emblems
Automatic Feeder (consumes designated food and utility consumables in your inventory when their duration ends)

In addition to the custom color for commander tags I already mentioned I could rattle off gem store items we’d love to buy all day long.

And you can easily bet that those ideas are 10x easier to implement than designing any given Living World event.

in WvW

Obscure One.4357

World XP Booster
Premium Guild Emblems

And you can easily bet that those ideas are 10x easier to implement than designing any given Living World event.

And that took almost no time to think up at all.

Hey ANet why don’t you just pick me up as an intern, and I’ll make the drive up to Redmond one weekend a month and get this whole WvW thing sorted out by Christmas, free of charge!