Ranger in WvW after balance patch

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I only PvP and WvW, I completely forgot about the Ogre Pet Whistle thing you can get in PvE. Well I’m convinced, rangers are OP. I mean the only way you could stop a ranger that was running something like this would be…. I dunno… sneezing on them or something.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

Can we get a report feature for all these people complaining about rangers? You guys are getting really annoying with all of these “rangers are OP threads”.

I don’t know if its just me, but rangers are an extremely easy class to counter when playing longbow/zerk/etc. etc.

And no. I’m not specced into a ranger counter. I just play appropriately and use my skills when I need to.

Honestly. Some of your reasons of why rangers are OP are utterly stupid.

“What if I have no cooldowns left?”

gee. that’s no one’s fault but your own…

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Can we get a report feature for all these people complaining about rangers? You guys are getting really annoying with all of these “rangers are OP threads”.

I don’t know if its just me, but rangers are an extremely easy class to counter when playing longbow/zerk/etc. etc.

And no. I’m not specced into a ranger counter. I just play appropriately and use my skills when I need to.

Honestly. Some of your reasons of why rangers are OP are utterly stupid.

“What if I have no cooldowns left?”

gee. that’s no one’s fault but your own…

My favorite part of all the ranger OP complaints is when people say, “I have no problem killing rangers in a 1v1 but when I’m fighting someone else and I’m already at 25% health rangers jump in and kill me.”

Because when a ranger jumps in to finish off someone with 25% health it is an affront to the gods, rangers are OP, yada yada yada, but for some reason it is perfectly fine for every other class to do it.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

have a 70% chance you’re dead before you reach me,

Bad undergeared players only.
I’m roaming a lot and trust me, there is a tons of situations where you will right, and even more, where all I can said was “omg, what the f*** it was?”. This thieves, teleporting to you from 2k+ range and nearly oneshotting (if not oneshotting, but permaevade everything you got), that guardians with the same teleport and speed of kill.

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

have a 70% chance you’re dead before you reach me,

Bad undergeared players only.
I’m roaming a lot and trust me, there is a tons of situations where you will right, and even more, where all I can said was “omg, what the f*** it was?”. This thieves, teleporting to you from 2k+ range and nearly oneshotting (if not oneshotting, but permaevade everything you got), that guardians with the same teleport and speed of kill.

To be honest: I do have troubles to understand you.
My point is that it does take little skill to do a lot of damage with a ranger’s longbow. However, it does take a lot of skill to get to you as a thief from a range of 900+ and nearly “one shot you”.

in WvW

SilverWF.4789

it does take a lot of skill to get to you as a thief from a range of 900+ and nearly “one shot you”.

I said, what there is a lot of thieves, who do not have that troubles.

Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in WvW

shadowpass.4236

My point is that it does take little skill to do a lot of damage with a ranger’s longbow. *However, it does take a lot of skill to get to you as a thief from a range of 900+ and nearly “one shot you”. *

Thieves can port 4200 range instantly.

in WvW

Jana.6831

My point is that it does take little skill to do a lot of damage with a ranger’s longbow. *However, it does take a lot of skill to get to you as a thief from a range of 900+ and nearly “one shot you”. *

With what skill? and I think both of you are now missing my (and other’s) point ;)

in WvW

shadowpass.4236

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Every single day when i go roam minimum 1 times this conversation happens:
He: you &$@#ing 2222 spammer nub!
I: are you a p/d thief?
He: yes
80% of the thieves plays because they can kitten everybody. But when i put sic em on them they still try to leap on smoke field and put shadowe refuge and stop wondering why they cant hide. Most of them die without a single evaid.
80% of the roamers are thieves and mesmers, so i prepair against them. Do you have problem with rangers? Do the same.
Example most of the mesmers bring something but i never ever seen any thief to prepar for anything else but faceroll everybody.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Jana.6831

Still no 4200 – do the math for me? And it’s still 3 skills for one move.

in WvW

SilverWF.4789

Still no 4200 - do the math for me? And it’s still 3 skills for one move.

Bow #5 + Shadowstep + Infiltrator’s Signet + Sword #2 + Steal
900 + 1200 + 900 + 600 + 1500 = even 5100

And, as thief, you can see, what this is not "some_special_teleporter_spec", not - this is pretty usual sword/dagger spec...

And, for irony, I’ve met such thief today. He have came from nowhere with high burst and then goes to nowhere, coz wasn’t able to oneshot me, but he was close, and if there wasn’t ally near...

(edited by SilverWF.4789)

in WvW

shadowpass.4236

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
2. Infiltrator’s Strike (Sword 2)
3. Shadowstep
4. Infiltrator’s Signet Active

And honestly, pressing 3 skills at once is very easy lol. Unless you click of course.

in WvW

Jana.6831

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
3. Shadowstep

And honestly, pressing 3 skills at once is very easy lol. Unless you click of course.

Ok, didn’t see the equipped sword – so it’s 4 skills which all have a slight pause between them, you can press 2 as a ranger and have 6 k+x of insta damage, which the thief dan’t evade while doing his 4 skill combo, then knockback and dodge and all 4 skills of the thief are wasted.
So you have to use 2 skills of your already equipped longbow to evade 4 skills of someone who will have 3 of the skills on cooldown afterwards – fair?

Edit: Or: you dodge and all of the 4 skills are wasted – one cannot dodge LB 2 though.

in WvW

SilverWF.4789

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
3. Shadowstep

Ok, didn’t see the equipped sword – so it’s 4 skills which all have a slight pause between them, you can press 2 as a ranger and have 6 k+x of insta damage, which the thief dan’t evade while doing his 4 skill combo, then knockback and dodge and all 4 skills of the thief are wasted.
So you have to use 2 skills of your already equipped longbow to evade 4 skills of someone who will have 3 of the skills on cooldown afterwards – fair?

Edit: Or: you dodge and all of the 4 skills are wasted – one cannot dodge LB 2 though.

What did you just said? Seems like you even didn’t understand what we are talking to you…

in WvW

Jana.6831

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
3. Shadowstep

What did you just said? Seems like you even didn’t understand what we are talking to you…

True, I don’t understand you, but you didn’t understand me when I mentioned it.

in WvW

Posted by: HARDOFREADING.7298

HARDOFREADING.7298

Remarkable how many people continue to cloud one concern with another…What you can do to counter this or that….Has NOTHING to do with the issue. Virtually every single person talking about how to counter any skill a ranger has, is doing so because theyre playing Ranger and will fight tooth & nail to keep the massive range/burst advantage that the class has from being adjusted.
The fact is…Giving that many abilities to a class with your furthest Range/Burst /Ease of Play is a very poor design decision.
If designers are buffing their favorite class for their own enjoyment…Those designers should be looking for new jobs.
You want quality design moves…Introduce Fluxes similar to GW1 that buff a class/build for a measured period of time.
Quality game design & much of what we’ve seen lately don’t go hand in hand with Anet anymore & havent for a long time.
Clear to me these guys are out of ideas,motivation, & a sense of loyalty to the constituency.
Now go back to working on whatever nonsensical StoryLine event that the hardcore wvw/spvp players could care less about and move Lions Arch 3-4 more times & your goal of saving money on bandwidth will be complete.

in WvW

SilverWF.4789

Remarkable how many people continue to cloud one concern with another…What you can do to counter this or that….Has NOTHING to do with the issue. Virtually every single person talking about how to counter any skill a ranger has, is doing so because theyre playing Ranger and will fight tooth & nail to keep the massive range/burst advantage that the class has from being adjusted.
The fact is…Giving that many abilities to a class with your furthest Range/Burst /Ease of Play is a very poor design decision.
If designers are buffing their favorite class for their own enjoyment…Those designers should be looking for new jobs.
You want quality design moves…Introduce Fluxes similar to GW1 that buff a class/build for a measured period of time.
Quality game design & much of what we’ve seen lately don’t go hand in hand with Anet anymore & havent for a long time.
Clear to me these guys are out of ideas,motivation, & a sense of loyalty to the constituency.
Now go back to working on whatever nonsensical StoryLine event that the hardcore wvw/spvp players could care less about and move Lions Arch 3-4 more times & your goal of saving money on bandwidth will be complete.

Dat true nickname…
So what we can say? Just moan “Omg, thieves has 9k+ BS, warriors has 9k+ eviscerate, … – nerf!!!!!!!!” and do not even try to explain how to counter it!

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
3. Shadowstep

So a 2.5 second channel is insta damage?

LGN

in WvW

shadowpass.4236

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
3. Shadowstep

Ok, didn’t see the equipped sword -

so it’s 4 skills which all have a slight pause between them
you can press 2 as a ranger and have 6 k+x of insta damage
which the thief dan’t evade while doing his 4 skill combo, then knockback and dodge and all 4 skills of the thief are wasted.

If you press all 4 of them at the same time, which is still fairly easy, its instant. They don’t have a “slight pause between them” if you press them all at once.

Also, pressing 2 on ranger only works for longbow if you want good damage.

Furthermore, pressing 2 on ranger will only do 6k+ damage if you are highly specced into it.

As for the 3rd bolded statement. Well, OBVIOUSLY rangers are OP because they can see you coming from 4200 range and shoot at just the right time to knock you back before the animation from the teleports end, all of which have 0 cast times AND no animations as well as teleporting you instantly.

Lastly, what the hell are you talking about? You want to talk about fair? Why can’t I create clones when I dodge on ranger? All they have to do is dodge when traited and now I have to dodge multiple times to evade the clone’s attacks. I mean, in all fairness, why does the mesmer just have to press 1 button and I have a phantasmal berserker attacking me for 6k+ damage every few seconds which won’t stop until it dies? All the mesmer had to do was press 1 button and now I have to press more buttons to counter it.

So, you have to use multiple dodges and skills of your already equipped weapon(s) to evade 1 skill of someone who will have 1 skill on cooldown afterwards – fair?

And honestly, LB 2 can be dodged. It’s really easy. And no one is going to dodge a 4200 range instant teleport. No one can see it, no one expects it.

lol. Just stop. Please.

(edited by shadowpass.4236)

in WvW

Jana.6831

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
3. Shadowstep

So you mean because it lasts 2,5 sec and is half dodgeable it’s no insta burst?
Ok, I get your point (But we just got a buff, why nerf again?) but if you’re any good at any other class, roam wvw someday and fight rangers, maybe you’ll get everybody elses point. And even if you claim you already did it – do it some more.

in WvW

Jana.6831

snip

LB2 can’t be dodged fully, the skills of a thief do have slight pauses between them and the point is that they are on cooldown afterwards wheras a ranger still has his 5-0 skills on no cooldown.
Ok, the rest of your post is just uninformed rage, I guess.
See, I was really kittened off when I was kicked from a dungeon group as a ranger – but I can understand everybody who does it. The way you guys argue in this thread just kind of proves it.

in WvW

shadowpass.4236

snip

LB2 can’t be dodged fully, the skills of a thief do have slight pauses between them and the point is that they are on cooldown afterwards wheras a ranger still has his 5-0 skills on no cooldown.
Ok, the rest of your post is just uninformed rage, I guess.
See, I was really kittened off when I was kicked from a dungeon group as a ranger – but I can understand everybody who does it. The way you guys argue in this thread just kind of proves it.

Lol… 1 or 2 arrows won’t make a difference.

I was just using your reasoning for the last part of that. If anyone is uninformed its you. There is no point in arguing any further if you refuse to believe what is true. I’m not the one that is uninformed.

Also, stop talking about cooldowns.

Thief just has to press f1, 5, and 1 to do 10k damage while an ele has to press 9 to do the same.

Every class has to press a different amount of buttons with different cooldowns to do the same thing but no one complains about it.

And talking on the forums has nothing to do with player skill. It’s actually funny you said that because I’ve never been kicked from a dungeon group as a ranger. You were just probably bad and kittened off the rest of the people in your party.

(edited by shadowpass.4236)

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

You can tell the flavour of the month Rangers easily from career ones simply by getting in melee range. The good ones switch to close combat weapons, while the idiots seem to completely lose their minds.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Jana.6831

Lol… 1 or 2 arrows won’t make a difference.

I was just using your reasoning for the last part of that. If anyone is uninformed its you. There is no point in arguing any further if you refuse to believe what is true. I’m not the one that is uninformed.

Also, stop talking about cooldowns.

Thief just has to press f1, 5, and 1 to do 10k damage while an ele has to press 9 to do the same.

Every class has to press a different amount of buttons with different cooldowns to do the same thing but no one complains about it.

And talking on the forums has nothing to do with player skill. It’s actually funny you said that because I’ve never been kicked from a dungeon group as a ranger. You were just probably bad and kittened off the rest of the people in your party.

The dungeon hadn’t even started (and to make things worse I have been the leader) and you completely ignore my points but blubber your stuff which is no discussion and that is something I encounter really often with rangers. But to be fair the terrible knockback skill is something people often argue about – I read it in any open world map chat every day. So maybe more people are just like you but I notice it more on those who are being criticised for being bad players.
And I never kicked anyone from any party but if I see a LFG party with a ranger in it I pass.

Oh and by the way, you finally got my point: other classes have to do multiple things to get their burst, LB rangers don’t have to.

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

with aftercasts and initiative cooldown, porting 4200 range will take 3-5 seconds.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Put me up against a ranger any day rather than a disappearing, teleporting around the map, venom using thief (or usually two or three of them at the same time these days). Unless you are completely asleep you can dodge at least half the damage from RF, but when a thief pops up on top of you insta- immob, 5 skills in a fraction of a second (no cooldowns on skills), 6-7k damage from one skill insta hit despite 1800 toughness along with a pile of conditions and 4 other hits then poof they disappear again, tell me again what’s OP about RF? Meantime you might just about be able to cast half a fireball doing 600 damage….

Maybe if RF made you invuln or teleported you 10 yards left whilst stealthing you it might be considered OP, but as it is it’s just fine. There are so many ways to counter it on so many classes.

As for other classes having to do multiple things to get their burst, I guess having to press ‘steal’ to teleport then mashing 4 buttons (or the one keybind for the macro) to output 2-3 times the total damage from the 2.5 second RF….

I love facing RF rangers, especially on my own ranger, as has been said- close the gap and most will panic (and be made of glass). Thief on the other hand, if they can’t insta-down you will disappear and come back with at least another thief and maybe two.

Porting 2100 or 2400 range on a thief is instant- thief uses IA, steal and you’re immob while the thief dumps on you- good luck firing off RF while you can’t even move.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

(edited by Baldrick.8967)

in WvW

Prysin.8542

Put me up against a ranger any day rather than a disappearing, teleporting around the map, venom using thief (or usually two or three of them at the same time these days). Unless you are completely asleep you can dodge at least half the damage from RF, but when a thief pops up on top of you insta- immob, 5 skills in a fraction of a second (no cooldowns on skills), 6-7k damage from one skill insta hit despite 1800 toughness along with a pile of conditions and 4 other hits then poof they disappear again, tell me again what’s OP about RF? Meantime you might just about be able to cast half a fireball doing 600 damage….

Maybe if RF made you invuln or teleported you 10 yards left whilst stealthing you it might be considered OP, but as it is it’s just fine. There are so many ways to counter it on so many classes.

As for other classes having to do multiple things to get their burst, I guess having to press ‘steal’ to teleport then mashing 4 buttons (or the one keybind for the macro) to output 2-3 times the total damage from the 2.5 second RF….

I love facing RF rangers, especially on my own ranger, as has been said- close the gap and most will panic (and be made of glass). Thief on the other hand, if they can’t insta-down you will disappear and come back with at least another thief and maybe two.

Porting 2100 or 2400 range on a thief is instant- thief uses IA, steal and you’re immob while the thief dumps on you- good luck firing off RF while you can’t even move.

a year ago, i’d totally agree with you, but now not so. Iv’e learned that the majority of thief attacks, ill go out on a limb and say close to 80%, can be negated by just looking around you while moving. You do not need to stop or do a 360 turn, you can just use the “look behind” key and scan for red names.
That or simply stay away/be extra aware in places that is good for ambushing.

Same with rapidfire. MOST RANGERS CAN BE SEEN PRIOR TO ATTACK. Only a tiny tiny tiny amount uses stealth from LB 3 or from siamoth pet to initiate their attacks. Those rangers are already so good at what they do, that seeing them would most likely not change anything.
However there is so many counters, and the only places where you are at a disadvantage against rangers is in places with open spaces. In which case – you are fighting a marksman, a sniper, a hunter, a ranged assassin, a archer – whatever you think of the ranger, this is “his/her” battleground. Open spaces is where they rule. If you fight a ranger there, you are fighting in a disadvantageous location. It can be compared to fighting a thief in places with lots of buildings. The thief will stealth and hide behind things so you cannot hit it. It will keep doing so until you either die, or the thief has to give up.
Or like fighting a warrior in narrow spaces, where you cannot just move outside its reach to avoid the CC and bursts.
Or like fighting a ele/necromancer in a dead end, a place where you cannot avoid the AOE damage and subsequently you will succumb to it.
Or like fighting a mesmer or engi in a tiny area, not trying to kite them will make you lose.

Rangers are only efficient when they can engage you in a area that forces you to “be visible”. A thief can stealth in an open area, but they cannot reappear without being vulnerable. This means they must be careful as to how to approach the ranger.

Good positioning is key, to all classes, some more then others. It is just another form of timing/skill. It is the skill of choosing when and where to attack, a principle of war that has been the basis for battles for over a millennium by now.
If you think that a person using the combined experience of thousands of years of humans fighting eachother, then you as a person, and a player, should log off Guild Wars 2 and go read some books before logging back on again.

in WvW

SilverWF.4789

shadowpass.4236, mate, we are already have a number of pretty good thieves in WvW, so please, stop teach another one
Let she will live in her fairy world of pauses and cooldowns

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
3. Shadowstep

So you mean because it lasts 2,5 sec and is half dodgeable it’s no insta burst?
Ok, I get your point (But we just got a buff, why nerf again?) but if you’re any good at any other class, roam wvw someday and fight rangers, maybe you’ll get everybody elses point. And even if you claim you already did it – do it some more.

I’ve been playing this game since beta, I have leveled every profession through WvW, mostly by roaming because I get bored of the zerg to easily.

I was actually running on my thief last night and I killed a ton of rangers. It’s not difficult when you know how the profession works and how to counter them.

You should take your own advice and try roaming as a ranger. Once you truly know the profession you will be able to read their tells and exploit their weaknesses, until you do that no one will take you seriously.

LGN

in WvW

shadowpass.4236

with aftercasts and initiative cooldown, porting 4200 range will take 3-5 seconds.

If your skills are off cooldown, the only skill that requires initiative is Infiltrator’s Strike (Sword 2).

Shadowstep.
Infiltrator’s Signet
Steal + Infiltrator’s Strike.

You just have to press Steal and Infiltrator’s Strike together less than a second after you press Shadowstep and Infiltrator’s Signet together if you want them to both hit if the target is in range.

And no, it won’t take 3-5 seconds. It’s very easy to do and I know if you do it right, which isn’t that hard, it takes a second at most.

in WvW

shadowpass.4236

Same with rapidfire. MOST RANGERS CAN BE SEEN PRIOR TO ATTACK.

Only a tiny tiny tiny amount uses stealth from LB 3 or from siamoth pet to initiate their attacks. Those rangers are already so good at what they do, that seeing them would most likely not change anything.

Rangers are only efficient when they can engage you in a area that forces you to “be visible”. A thief can stealth in an open area, but they cannot reappear without being vulnerable. This means they must be careful as to how to approach the ranger.

I usually open in stealth before someone notices me in PvP before I focus someone.

In WvW, if I’m running full glass and there are people in front of me a decent distance away who haven’t noticed me, I’ll stealth on a bunny, use gs2, or s2 + s2 + LR, then open on them. =]

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

The range is too much, I found myself stopping with my ranger because I can reach others where they cant even touch me.

in WvW

SilverWF.4789

The range is too much, I found myself stopping with my ranger because I can reach others where they cant even touch me.

And what class you are playing now?

in WvW

aspirine.6852

And what class you are playing now?

I’m trying staff Ele. My first char but never tried it in WvW after the D/D change.

in WvW

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

A good melee Ranger is scary. IMO, a good Ranger, Ele and Engi are the scariest things you can come across

Yes. Melee rangers and mid-range condi/hybrid rangers can be very dangerous. It is very much a mind game. They can be tricky like thieves, but they can use hybrid builds more effectively. Like thieves, they can also get more evasion than most other professions, so a battle of attrition will often favor the ranger.

I would say they aren’t nearly as scary as a good Engi, and they probably aren’t as scary as a good Ele. But, a really good ranger will give you a run for your money if they are using the right build.

in WvW

Prysin.8542

A good melee Ranger is scary. IMO, a good Ranger, Ele and Engi are the scariest things you can come across

Yes. Melee rangers and mid-range condi/hybrid rangers can be very dangerous. It is very much a mind game. They can be tricky like thieves, but they can use hybrid builds more effectively. Like thieves, they can also get more evasion than most other professions, so a battle of attrition will often favor the ranger.

I would say they aren’t nearly as scary as a good Engi, and they probably aren’t as scary as a good Ele. But, a really good ranger will give you a run for your money if they are using the right build.

Just gonna note that the only thing that holds rangers back in terms of “monster performance” is the lack of a small-medium sized direct heal (1, 5-3k) that is not tied to their healing skill, incidentally, that is what engi and ele have. Even thief has it (mug). So if these types of heals are nerfed or ranger gets one, then beating a ranger will be hardmode any day.
Ps fern hound is too unreliable to fill said function.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

know something else you see more of now, OP?

Guardians with Wall of Reflection. Guess what that skill does VS longbow ranger….

The problem ive found in the field is the combo with condi bombing that is what makes LB extremily efective about WoR, and the guardian domes ive found a few players that can counter them easilly, there are several efective builds(there always were) beside the OP BL spam, one thing that most people dont know damage wanst increased, Anet just made damage happening faster and that was an huge step for a weapon that always had good damage.

There were excelent rangers problem now no one can distinguish them from the rable(think this is not a offensive word).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

You get 4200 with:
1. Traited Steal
3. Shadowstep

Add in the mix Shadow Trap and you can literally appear from nowhere and then disappear to nowhere. H4X!

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Before anything you have to remember if there’s as much as a pebble in the way, the target gets obstructed.
So often times that Rapid Fire just returns obstructed obstructed obstructed obstructed and 0 damage when theres NOTHING in the way.
So much like the pets abilities the Rapid Fire is more of a “hope it works AS IT SHOULD” kind of skill.

Then you have the matter of predictability, it just is.
You can charge a Ranger, if he lays the Rapid Fire on you, just dodge roll twice towards him, thats almost all the damage of that skill mitigated and look at that, you’re pretty much face to face now.

Then consider things like useless broken pets, and the fact that you either pick Piercing Arrows or a viable Hunter’s Shot because if that arrow hits a 2nd target you get insta reveal.

Fact is Ranger was and still is kinda weak compared to some other classes, they get a buff to try to get them up on par and theres no end to threads like this.
I haven’t tried to pug with my Ranger in ages, but not long ago joining a party with a Ranger would get you kicked, no nothing, just kicked, its also the only class that ever got “LFG ________ no Rangers”, what does that tells you?

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

In open field zerg battles I enjoy playing either ranger (lb/gs) or necro if I want to play positional damage, or staff ele when needed (depends how we’re doing). Necro gets me WAY more bags, tagging seems to work on a par with guards. Ele seems to fail to tag on the same scale, although it appears I do similar damage.

Roaming these days you tend to run into 3thief/one mes/one guard groups rather than any solos at all…which i don’t mind on the ele as i can get away/survive long enough, but pretty much toast on the other two.

As it is, I feel rangers are about right in wvw now, apart from the stupidly long cast times on pet skills and the fact that pets and zergs don’t mix. If they came up with an option to stow your pet for ten minutes which granted you 10% damage increase and converted the condition removal skill so it still worked without a pet, they might even be fun (10 minute fixed timer, so no popping it in and out in that time).

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Care to name those servers where rangers are dominating the scene? I may need to transfer away from EU T2.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in WvW

aspirine.6852

Care to name those servers where rangers are dominating the scene? I may need to transfer away from EU T2.

Well we started to call Abaddons mouth, rangers mouth. They seemed to have a lot of them during the x-mass holiday. Dont know if they always had many ranger or just we started to notice this last month.

in WvW

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Well we started to call Abaddons mouth, rangers mouth. They seemed to have a lot of them during the x-mass holiday. Dont know if they always had many ranger or just we started to notice this last month.

Seen from Piken, i can’t say i ever heard panicked voices on Teamspeak shouting “OMG run, they have RANGERS!”.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in WvW

aspirine.6852

Seen from Piken, i can’t say i ever heard panicked voices on Teamspeak shouting “OMG run, they have RANGERS!”.

Well I did hear it, but more like lol wtf so many rangers/lootbags.

in WvW

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

2. Rly? Did you counted Minis or not? Never seen Rangers with THREE pets at once, but seen Necros with 6 pets

You can actually get at least 6. Hyena and summon, hounds of balthazar, ogre or pirate runes, and sigil of demon summoning. Throw on spirits and you will be a walking zoo.

Now is this effective? Absolutely not, but it gives the ranger haters something else to kitten about.

you can get 11 in total….

1 – hyena
2 – hyena ally
3 – water spirit
4 – sun spirit
5 – stone spirit
6 – frost spirit
7 – hounds of balthazar
8 – hounds of balthazar
9 – Rock Dog/Pirate Parrot
10 – Ogre Pet Whistle
11 – Sigil of Demon Summoning

Hey, you there! Wait 2 mins plz, I need to get all my pets out, okay m8?

in WvW

Posted by: Waterbear.2764

Waterbear.2764

I have played ranger a considerable amount, both before and after the patch. Power rangers aren’t the duelist gods people make them out to be, they pale in comparison to condi rangers when it comes to that role. What they are, is “newb killers.” New players, or players that are unfamiliar with the class they are playing are going to have trouble with them, the same way they would with a hundred blades warrior. That being said, some tricks and tips to counter rangers.

-rangers love to start fights at max range, they are going to test poke and fire even when their 1 skill is red due to range. This is usually when people notice and attempt to engage. Once you start to get close, the ranger is going to reflexively use point blank shot, you can easily anticipate and roll.

-rangers will almost always follow up knockback with their 2 longbow ability, if you know when a skill is coming it is easier to encounter

-rangers only snare on longbow is a channeled ability that has a delay between the beginning of channel and the effect taking place, it also locks them in to place, mobility is your friend against a ranger. Since they spend most of their time trying to fight at max distance, punish them by simply stepping out of their max range, it is very hard for a lb ranger to chase at range.

-take note of their pet. Dog/wolf types will tend to knock you down, they also have a fear that is easy to see coming and avoid(they howl). Spiders will immobilize you, again it is a slow projectile and easy to avoid if you pay attention.

Now for some more class specific stuff

Necro
-power rangers have terrible condi removal, chills and cripples will ruin their day
-you can easily use your swiftness/location return ability to close distance with a ranger. Run out of his range (they suck at chasing) and when he is near the point you used the skill, simply return and deliver the beating.
-lich form stability will make rangers cry

Thief
-if they use sic’em on you, just run. There is now one person in all of the WvW map you can’t stealth murder, I am sure you will survive this indignity.

Mesmer
-much like necro, conditions will ruin a rangers day
-many abilities like ranger 2 and 5 are channels and highly succeptable to interrupt
-pierce is great on zergs, but it doesn’t provide good cleave on clones unless they all decide to form a conga line. Use clones to your advantage
-reflections, good god

Guardians
I don’t really think this class has trouble with ranger, easy access to stability and blocks, high damage output, good gap closers

Warriors
again, I don’t think they have an issue, good gap closers, stability, high damage output, even reflections, not to mention all that health regen

Elementalists
you should reliably murder the ranger on a d/d ele but assuming you have a staff
-earth 3, I have seen elementalists kill stupid rangers with this skill alone
-weakness, apply it. Rangers have terrible condi removal, and power rangers will notice the significant dip in dps
-use earth wall and the water 4 ability to limit the rangers movement

Engineers
Yet another class I really don’t see having an issue with rangers. Easy access to block/reflect, gap closers, immobilizes, conditions and immunities galore.

There is definitely a lower skill entry level for a ranger to be able to blow up a player than for some other classes (its not really that different from bulls charge + hundo) but that doesn’t mean its op. Different classes are going to present different problems along the learning curve for WvW. Skilled players can counter, and kill a ranger, it isn’t really a hard counter to any class in the game except maybe some necro. Even then, they can be escaped, which is far sight better than some other classes, hint hint rhymes with beef.

in WvW

Prysin.8542

@waterbear
A good analysis, however there is some faults in your assumption.

Your analysis only works if the ranger is specifically running 66xxx.
Power rangers running 6xx6x will have decent enough condi cleanse, and enough damage, to wreck those who rely solely on CC condies.
Power LB can also run 44600 and have an ungodly amount of defense for their offensive capabilities, many rangers are moving away from the 66xxx zerker spec, because they know it is a one trick DPS Pony. Swap a few trinkets or armor pieces for Knights or PvT and you suddenly have incredibly high sustain relative to DPS.

That being said, a straight up condi build will wreck havoc with anyone trying to fight it. Sword Torch, Axe Dagger 02660 apothecary/dire/rabid will destroy almost all hostile classes granted how much offensive power you get, coupled with the evades, uptime of stacks and enough condi removal to keep a condi necro in check.

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Excuse me? I posted about the way I play and you took that as a reason to insult me? Go away.

Actually i see for your posts you have a warrior and a guard so i guess you are one owned by a very noob power ranger pew pew.
I myself i’ve killed some guards/warriors that just stood there while i pewpew them with my LB#2. Gosh once i took all the life from a siege gollem by myself from 1500 killing it (of course i needed a lot of AA and LB#2 to do it) because the golem guy didn’t move at all.

Don’t worry, ranger is so difficult to play that only can get better…

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in WvW

Posted by: nativity.3057

nativity.3057

I have played ranger a considerable amount, both before and after the patch. Power rangers aren’t the duelist gods people make them out to be, they pale in comparison to condi rangers when it comes to that role. What they are, is “newb killers.” New players, or players that are unfamiliar with the class they are playing are going to have trouble with them, the same way they would with a hundred blades warrior. That being said, some tricks and tips to counter rangers.

-rangers love to start fights at max range, they are going to test poke and fire even when their 1 skill is red due to range. This is usually when people notice and attempt to engage. Once you start to get close, the ranger is going to reflexively use point blank shot, you can easily anticipate and roll.

-rangers will almost always follow up knockback with their 2 longbow ability, if you know when a skill is coming it is easier to encounter

-rangers only snare on longbow is a channeled ability that has a delay between the beginning of channel and the effect taking place, it also locks them in to place, mobility is your friend against a ranger. Since they spend most of their time trying to fight at max distance, punish them by simply stepping out of their max range, it is very hard for a lb ranger to chase at range.

-take note of their pet. Dog/wolf types will tend to knock you down, they also have a fear that is easy to see coming and avoid(they howl). Spiders will immobilize you, again it is a slow projectile and easy to avoid if you pay attention.

Now for some more class specific stuff

Necro
-power rangers have terrible condi removal, chills and cripples will ruin their day
-you can easily use your swiftness/location return ability to close distance with a ranger. Run out of his range (they suck at chasing) and when he is near the point you used the skill, simply return and deliver the beating.
-lich form stability will make rangers cry

Thief
-if they use sic’em on you, just run. There is now one person in all of the WvW map you can’t stealth murder, I am sure you will survive this indignity.

Mesmer
-much like necro, conditions will ruin a rangers day
-many abilities like ranger 2 and 5 are channels and highly succeptable to interrupt
-pierce is great on zergs, but it doesn’t provide good cleave on clones unless they all decide to form a conga line. Use clones to your advantage
-reflections, good god

Guardians
I don’t really think this class has trouble with ranger, easy access to stability and blocks, high damage output, good gap closers

Warriors
again, I don’t think they have an issue, good gap closers, stability, high damage output, even reflections, not to mention all that health regen

Elementalists
you should reliably murder the ranger on a d/d ele but assuming you have a staff
-earth 3, I have seen elementalists kill stupid rangers with this skill alone
-weakness, apply it. Rangers have terrible condi removal, and power rangers will notice the significant dip in dps
-use earth wall and the water 4 ability to limit the rangers movement

Engineers
Yet another class I really don’t see having an issue with rangers. Easy access to block/reflect, gap closers, immobilizes, conditions and immunities galore.

There is definitely a lower skill entry level for a ranger to be able to blow up a player than for some other classes (its not really that different from bulls charge + hundo) but that doesn’t mean its op. Different classes are going to present different problems along the learning curve for WvW. Skilled players can counter, and kill a ranger, it isn’t really a hard counter to any class in the game except maybe some necro. Even then, they can be escaped, which is far sight better than some other classes, hint hint rhymes with beef.

Guardian here.
Is it really that easy to kill a ranger?
I mean, I’ve never been downed by a ranger (thieves I’m looking at you), but closing the gap is much harder than reducing incoming damage.
Then again, the only time I’ve tried chasing a ranger was after a big bloody battle and I still have my zerg skills/specs on. I would assume medi guards easily wipe out a ranger with their multiple gap closers.

Anyways, rangers aren’t nerf worthy. From what I hear, they needed the damage buff.
Necros are OP (WELLS WELLS WELLS) and Thieves as well. Not particularly happy getting downed in 2 hits by a thief when I’m supposed to be a moving wall.