Ranger pets vs WvW zergs.

in WvW

Posted by: AydenStar.4216

AydenStar.4216

Q:

As a Ranger in a competitive WvW guild, trying to fight the megablob of pugs/organized guilds, I can only worry more about all of the AoE ground affects and the where the head’s of the enemy zergs is going; more than, my poor pet that is lagging behind from all of the CC he/she HAS to ran through How in the world are we going to be able to use our pet’s mechanics such as: F2, Guard, Sic’em, Search and rescue, and protect me when the pet is dead within seconds after rolling through an enemy zerg of 50+?

In WvW zergs, the Ranger mechanic is completely obliterated. How do you (Anet) plan to fix Rangers so the pet can live and fight verse large amount of enemy players (40+ open field combat) without making the pet mechanic much different or broken for sPvP?

Thanks

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

I agree.

About the only useful thing a pet can do is if you flank yourself enough the pet can run straight for the enemies ranged back line to cause havoc. As that itself is not entirely useful id say pets need a revamp.

Even if it was something as simple as allowing you to plot the path a pet would take to reach an enemy (ie hold down the f1 key and click to make sorta waypoint like marks where the pet runs to before going to the enemy) so you can at let send it around the enemy Zerg, that would be useful.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Posted by: MrFluffy.9307

MrFluffy.9307

tbh I wish they’d just make it so we can’t tab target pets. Get’s kitten annoying sometimes cycling through 5 pets to get to the person you actually want to hit.

Hi

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

This is the fundamental problem with Rangers and why I would never play my Ranger in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I usually put my pets on passive and use them for buffs. Even that isn’t a great solution when zerg busting or fighting under heavy AoE so like many my Ranger simply doesn’t do that activity.

IMO, pets should have granted a periodic skill much like the thief steal and a passive bonus akin to a warrior banner. They would take no damage and deal no direct damage. This would solve nearly every problem with the Ranger pets and possibly bring the ranger in line with other professions in WvW/dungeon settings.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Bunnymancer.6901

Bunnymancer.6901

Just do like that other game and have AoE deal half damage or less to pets. They’re laggy and quite tardy to begin with, no need to treat them like anything but a ranged melee weapon for rangers.

in WvW

Posted by: Neeho.3859

Neeho.3859

If you’re fighting 50+ and your biggest problem is your pet doesn’t stay up long enough, you’re doing pretty well.

Oh, and passive pets with buffs or ranged pets and pick better targets. Why would you expect a pet to charge through a zerg of 50 and survive when you can’t? Adapt.

Ho/Neeho/Zorho/Hodown/Ephodemic
[SoCo] Solum Contego SoCo loco style!
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

WvW is probably the main reason a lot of players want a way to turn off their pet. They have limited value in real WvW/GvG battles because of how easy they’re killed from splash damage. Why should the ranger have their attack coefficients handicapped for a mechanic that doesn’t work? And this is completely ignoring the simple fact that pets don’t work as they should regardless of where they are.

They need to:
Make all pets do the same DPS.
Make pet DPS low enough to warrant Rangers having proper skill coefficients.
Make F2 abilities break attack chains and begin their animation immediately.
Make all F2 abilities have a .5 second cast before the ability goes off and they can continue the remainder of their animation later.
Make F1 attack and recall the pet.
Make F3 activate secondary pet skills with the same rules as F2 but default them to auto so a player has to turn auto off.

If the pet didn’t handicap our damage and F2s were actually reliable I wouldn’t care that my pet died in .5 seconds in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

Agree. Pets are worthless when encountering large groups. They are handy for smaller encounters.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: AydenStar.4216

AydenStar.4216

Every profession has the ability to use there F-functionally vs a zerg of 50+ with little to no issue or nothing that leeching stability from “Stand your Ground” couldn’t help. Rangers on the other hand has to use utilities skills or Rampage as One to gain stability and other defensive abilities for our pets.
Also, for most of our utility skills to be useful, we have to go:

30 points in Marksman to get use the actives of our Signets on ourselves
30 points in Skrimishing to maximize Traps
30 points in Wilderness Survival to get Entropic Bond for pet condition removal or Barkskin for damage reduction at 25% health
30 points in Nature Magic to get Nature’s Voice for pet shouts or to have Spirits to move with the Ranger
30 points in Beastmastery to get Natural Healing for passive healing or Zephyr Speed for 3 seconds quickness on pet sweeps.

We are screwed by design IMHO….

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

In WvW zergs, the Ranger mechanic is completely obliterated. How do you (Anet) plan to fix Rangers so the pet can live and fight verse large amount of enemy players

I don’t think a pet is meant to live in a battle between a large amount of players.

Rangers are scouts, skirmishers.. they should be out roaming, not dragging their poor animal companions into firestorms of aoe.

I’d rather the ranger get a locking ‘stow’ mechanic, possibly giving a small effect based on the pet. that would give an option for melee rangers that want to hack their way through a zerg.

also, it would stop the darn critters from always popping out just because you missed a step.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

I think it’s pretty obvious that ANET thinks ranger pets are fine as they are in WvW zergs.

I don’t agree, but that’s irrelevant since they don’t like player ideas either. It’s annoying that other class mechanics aid them in Zerg v Zerg play. Such as guardians being able to stroll through a Zerg relatively unharmed with aegis and heals, traited to regen and protection. Or Mesmer f4 giving invulnerability. Or necro life pool. Or engi massive diversity of toolbelt selection. Or warrior burst skill (which is usually hammer AoE).

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Malachi.1836

Malachi.1836

I think it’s pretty obvious that ANET thinks ranger pets are fine as they are in WvW zergs.

I don’t agree, but that’s irrelevant since they don’t like player ideas either. It’s annoying that other class mechanics aid them in Zerg v Zerg play. Such as guardians being able to stroll through a Zerg relatively unharmed with aegis and heals, traited to regen and protection. Or Mesmer f4 giving invulnerability. Or necro life pool. Or engi massive diversity of toolbelt selection. Or warrior burst skill (which is usually hammer AoE).

Maybe were all just looking at this wrong and our class mechanic is rally bait?

[FIST] Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Alhadin.4032

Alhadin.4032

What? Melee ranger? :-)) Lol, rerol another character :-)

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

While they’re at it, maybe Anet could find a way to make Engineers and Thieves viable in zerg v zerg as well.

in WvW

Alhadin.4032

Thieves not viable? Party of thieves instakill any staf ele suporter!

in WvW

Alhadin.4032

in WvW

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

All a thief needs to do is equip their shortbow and press that 2 button. On demand blast finisher is pretty darn nice to have around in any zerg.