Rangers

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Alchemist.3692

Alchemist.3692

lol who thought rapid fire or whatever it’s called was a good idea? all i see these days are power rangers everywhere. Maybe ANet should nerf that LB range or something. Seems like no one wants to fight, they just want to sit back and face roll from 1800 range….other than trolling is there any real reason to play power ranger?

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Ozan.6850

Ozan.6850

lol who thought rapid fire or whatever it’s called was a good idea? all i see these days are power rangers everywhere. Maybe ANet should nerf that LB range or something. Seems like no one wants to fight, they just want to sit back and face roll from 1800 range….other than trolling is there any real reason to play power ranger?

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Jarrix.8234

Jarrix.8234

You think it’s bad now.

Wait till everyone realizes the only way to counter the ‘pirate ship’ meta is to out range the necros ie rangers.

We’re two weeks away from 50 man power ranger trains.

Kayku
Envy – Fort Aspenwood

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I know its exciting!

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

We’re two weeks away from 50 man power ranger trains.

Bearbows with piercing arrows and fire sigiles every where, that would be amusing

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

All you would have to do is throw up walls of reflection halfway and they can kill themselves!

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

even pvp has a lot of power rangers, they can’t even hold a point for 5 seconds.

[SA]

Rangers

in WvW

Alchemist.3692

All you would have to do is throw up walls of reflection halfway and they can kill themselves!

Not really, they stop… wait for their CD which is 1/3 the CD of your WoR, FeedBack, whatever else… and it’s gg. Plus they never run alone lol… this new meta… i might try it out. Esp popping that signet of stone and going wild with a GS, then gs leap away when it runs out – swap to lb and faceroll lol. I’m really curious why no one discovered this two years ago? I can’t imagine that much has changed, has it? Maybe some rangers can chime in.

What makes it viable now, vs whatever it may have been before?

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: mako.2431

mako.2431

What do you play?

The reason to play a power ranger? Because someone might want to. Why do you play your class? Cry more.

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Asking why someone decides to play a power ranger is the same as asking any other class why they play power glass cannon build. You want burst damage, you want to kill things fast, you want the thrill of deadly conclusion if you make a mistake. Great risk, high reward.

Nothing is more boring to me than fighting with a tank that hits like a wet noodle but only wins because outheal and hits with a kittenload of conditions. If I have a chance to burst you down in 4 seconds with my glassy ranger without much room for mistakes, I will take it.

Also, I don’t know what you means “no one wants to fight”. Just because the main weapon is ranged means they don’t fight? Does that means only melee constitutes a fight for you? Sorry to say but there are many ranged builds available for roaming for all classes.

Power rangers are very vulnerable on melee range, if you can’t get to it, you should check your skill rotations.

By the way, longbow have 1500 units range with the trait Eagle Eye not 1800.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

i dont get why people play them they look so boring, they just click 1 and 2 the whole time in fights. like how do you enjoy that?

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

Rangers

in WvW

Alchemist.3692

Asking why someone decides to play a power ranger is the same as asking any other class why they play power glass cannon build. You want burst damage, you want to kill things fast, you want the thrill of deadly conclusion if you make a mistake. Great risk, high reward.

Nothing is more boring to me than fighting with a tank that hits like a wet noodle but only wins because outheal and hits with a kittenload of conditions. If I have a chance to burst you down in 4 seconds with my glassy ranger without much room for mistakes, I will take it.

Also, I don’t know what you means “no one wants to fight”. Just because the main weapon is ranged means they don’t fight? Does that means only melee constitutes a fight for you? Sorry to say but there are many ranged builds available for roaming for all classes.

Power rangers are very vulnerable on melee range, if you can’t get to it, you should check your skill rotations.

I don’t think 1v1 they’re much of a problem… but in groups of 5+ it’s a bit ridiculous don’t you think? There is no other class in the game that can output that kind of dmg from that kind of range. Plus, GS provides really good melee play. This isn’t an issue of 1 power ranger but masses of them. Other than stealth classes, and prob warrior (even then it’s rare if there’s more than 1 power ranger) – other classes don’t really have the ability to easily escape them. If they were at 1200 range then it wouldn’t nearly be the issue it’s become. I think the only problem is that 1500 units really. The mechanic is as broken as hammer warrior, except they actually have to work to get close enough to use their knockdowns and stuns

(edited by Alchemist.3692)

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

They arent glass cannons. If you get enough power rangers, they can combine into megazord, which is OP as all kitten.

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

you can do the same with rifle warriors. or let us not forget two thieves that stealth eachother then out of nowere does 20k+ backstab damage and disappears.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Rangers

in WvW

azyume.6321

Well then 5 of any profession will always be painful. If you want to look that way, then take all into consideration.

Have you fought 5 dire perplexity engineers? How about 5 minion master necromancers? 5 celestial elementalists? Thieves? Oh gosh.

I will take the group of 5 rangers to fight any day than 5 engineers or minion mancers.

Tip: the longbow arrow is slow, unless traited with Read the Wind. You can keep moving around, strafe, and that will grant a few misses. Also, a power ranger will have 1 stun break or none, if you CC them, is pretty much game over.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant

Rangers

in WvW

Alchemist.3692

you can do the same with rifle warriors. or let us not forget two thieves that stealth eachother then out of nowere does 20k+ backstab damage and disappears.

the thieves still have to actually come to you to do this, no? they don’t backstab you from 1500 range where there’s nothing you can do about it? And this happening is actually extremely rare… I have rarely seen people get backstabbed for 10k+ each.

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

they don’t backstab you from 1500 range where there’s nothing you can do about it?

Actually, guildie showed me a thief combo the other day that will let them catch you from 1800 away. There’s no getting away from that, running away just means you’ll die tired.

Rangers

in WvW

pepper.6179

20k? my backstab does an average of 6k. Another thief similar to my glass build would add up to 12k.

[SA]

Rangers

in WvW

pepper.6179

they don’t backstab you from 1500 range where there’s nothing you can do about it?

Actually, guildie showed me a thief combo the other day that will let them catch you from 1800 away. There’s no getting away from that, running away just means you’ll die tired.

thief just blew half of his utillity or used one of their stunbreakers already.

[SA]

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I don’t think 1v1 they’re much of a problem… but in groups of 5+ it’s a bit ridiculous don’t you think? There is no other class in the game that can output that kind of dmg from that kind of range. Plus, GS provides really good melee play. This isn’t an issue of 1 power ranger but masses of them. Other than stealth classes, and prob warrior (even then it’s rare if there’s more than 1 power ranger) – other classes don’t really have the ability to easily escape them. If they were at 1200 range then it wouldn’t nearly be the issue it’s become. I think the only problem is that 1500 units really. The mechanic is as broken as hammer warrior, except they actually have to work to get close enough to use their knockdowns and stuns

A good organized zerg will charge together, or use some types of stealth or portal to charge in surprise. Ranger really can’t do much against organized group. They also have some of the highest chance of being killed by retaliation. The less organized you are, the deadlier the ranger, simple as that. It’s a L2P issue, not ranger being OP.

Reason no-one play condition? Well, go ask your warrior, guardian, and ele friend why they don’t play condition! Because other than some of the classes, condition build is useless in wvw zerg fight!

Rangers

in WvW

Aomine.5012

Main reason why people complain about ranger is because they used to be USELESS in all aspects of game for a period of time after Anet nerfed SB, quickness, spirits, pets and so on. They are also completely useless in zerg fight before the LB buff. Now they suddenly become a threat to unorganized group, people who usually treat ranger as a free bag and useless wet noodle suddenly have to deal with ranger, so they’re enraged and start complaining about ranger being OP, because they want ranger to be as useless as it once was.

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: voodoo.7412

voodoo.7412

let me say this playing trap ranger with longbow is fun i don’t use my LB much cause i have no problem killing thief and other classes with traps + torch but i love my LB for running away roamers like GS warrriors when they feel they loosing they run off and skill n4 point blank shot when some 1 is on the edge of a cliff bam down the cliff dead

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

You are confusing closing a gap from 1800 away with applying dmg at particular range.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: voodoo.7412

voodoo.7412

Main reason why people complain about ranger is because they used to be USELESS in all aspects of game for a period of time after Anet nerfed SB, quickness, spirits, pets and so on. They are also completely useless in zerg fight before the LB buff. Now they suddenly become a threat to unorganized group, people who usually treat ranger as a free bag and useless wet noodle suddenly have to deal with ranger, so they’re enraged and start complaining about ranger being OP, because they want ranger to be as useless as it once was.

i know the much hate i got as a ranger but i care less what other classes think

playing your build well power rangers wont be a problem as a trapper i got no problem killing them also playing Mesmer with good torment and confusion build u can deal great amount of dmg to power ranger so better stop hating and thinking of a counter to that.

Rangers

in WvW

Jayden Ennok.3687

Actually it’s around 1960 when traited.

By “no one wants to fight” I guess he meant that many rangers engage in a fight only in safe distance from a tower (what they can run with stone sig active/gs block) or when they are in a group.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Rangers

in WvW

azyume.6321

If going to thrown numbers then the same can be said for warrior gs rush, which currently is something very close to 1800 units.

And please, if going to say about those players that stay near the safety of a tower, any class do it. You won’t believe how many warriors, eles, guardians, rangers, necromancers, thieves, I tried to fight that ran to their keep and started to hit me with their range weapon or simply shoot the cannon. There are players and players, you can’t judge everyone because of the actions of a few. However, it was said something about group fight, so that wouldn’t be the case but a rather sniping during small scale or zerg fights.

Guardian Commander

Rangers

in WvW

Prysin.8542

signet of stone does not prevent you from taking conditions or stuns. You can just chain immob the ranger until sig of stone is wearing off then blow em up in 2 sec.

you cannot counter what you cannot see. 2x thief with stealth = 2x enemies “not there”. you die. because two thieves can easily cover 1800-2500 range in seconds, even vertically, before all their stealth wears off.

who cares if utilities is on CD, if enemy is ded, it doesnt matter if you gotta wait 15-30 sec before you can go look for another ezmode target

Rangers

in WvW

Jayden Ennok.3687

If going to thrown numbers then the same can be said for warrior gs rush, which currently is something very close to 1800 units.

And please, if going to say about those players that stay near the safety of a tower, any class do it. You won’t believe how many warriors, eles, guardians, rangers, necromancers, thieves, I tried to fight that ran to their keep and started to hit me with their range weapon or simply shoot the cannon. There are players and players, you can’t judge everyone because of the actions of a few. However, it was said something about group fight, so that wouldn’t be the case but a rather sniping during small scale or zerg fights.

The warrior still has to get into melee range to do dmg with rush, in melee aoe/cleave hit him, that’s why being melee is riskier than range.

Yes, any class can chicken near tower, only rangers can apply high dmg to targets up to 1960 away from that tower. Not saying this to reason whether they should or shouldn’t be able to do that, I said it as I believe it’s the main reason why power rangers are seen as “none wants to fight” type of players.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Amen. Tip: When fighting a lb ranger – use terrain / LoS and roll one yourself to see their weak spots ( condi removal hello? )

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

The baddies who die and cannot beat rangers are the ones making topics like these, meanwhile the people who can kill these OMG OP PLS NERF-power rangers are happily playing, pewing and looting bags without problems.

Attachments:

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

can we merge this and the other 10+ topics in the ranger/spvp/wvw boards PLEASE??

Also, i enjoy fighting the zerker ranger builds. with my soldier runes, i can survive their hit and then take em down with next to nothing from my own rapid fire. doesnt really matter where they are. as a general rule, if they can hit me, i can hit them.

Counters to ranger:

• Reflect
  • Line of Sight (hide behind a rock/tree. surprisingly large clumps of grass sometimes cause obstruction issues)
  • Block
  • Invuln/damage reduction
  • Move out of range (1500 or 1800 or whatever =/= to infinite range)
  • Move into melee range
  • Shoot at it with your own range
Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

i dont get why people play them they look so boring, they just click 1 and 2 the whole time in fights. like how do you enjoy that?

Because it’s hilarious to pop +150% dmg next hit, wait for someone to dodge roll a few times while fighting someone else, and then blindside them with a Rapid Shot that just outright downs them in one go if they didn’t gear a lot of Toughness.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Perfect fix – remove all classes, weapons and skills. Combatants will meet on the field of battle and engage in Rock-Paper-Scissors.

So the longbow is more of an issue than thieves insta-vanish when they are clearly visible by all? Keep the salt flowing…

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

*This is coming from a player who has only one character since launch. A ranger.

Let’s Clarify Some Things Together:

Rapid Fire was always this powerful. The only thing they changed was 50% cast time. Rapid Fire was always meant as a spike skill, but, pre-update, it did less damage per second than auto-attack. Since update they decreased the cast time to 50%, nothing else.

With this update the skill lasts 2.5 seconds. Things you can do:

A single dodge roll lasts .75 seconds. Which negates roughly 1/3 the skill.
Two consecutive dodges, 1.50 seconds. Which negates roughly 2/3 the skill.
Protect negates 33% of the damage.
A block skill, counterattack, lasts 3 seconds. This negates 100% the skill.
Line of sight. The negates 100% the skill.
Reflect. This negates 100% the skill.
Retaliation. Returns 198 + (0.075 * Power) of the victim.
Etc…

Let’s look at the weapon:

As the name implies, long range. Sure, but Engineers can throw grenades just as far and backwards.
1. Autoattack, useful only at range.
2. Burst skill, dodgeable, blockable, etc. Useful as an opening attack.
3. Stealth. Useful for stomping or short escape, but long cooldown means if this is avoided, your day is ruined.
4. Point Blank Shot. Useful for ledges or heal interruptions.
5. Barrage. Generic AoE damage for tagging.

Let’s look at some cons:

If you get close, the ranger is going to have to change weapon or suffer.
If the ranger is moving, they cannot attack flanks or sides. (If you’re chasing, your in a good spot).
Provides zero mobility.
Other than power, provides zero other uses.

Let’s sum it up together:

Sure, longbow is a bit cliche, but it’s the ranger niche. Other classes may use a more wide array of builds, but this is a rangers go-to build. It’s also extremely easy to counter and leaves the ranger basically defenseless. If you want a perfectly balanced game, go elsewhere. There’s going to be pro/con for each build, but we could go the route and remove all the good builds from the game, if that’s what everyone wants. No more hambow, no more infi-stealth thieves, no more shatter bombs, no more ice bow…

Longbow Ranger on ledge = stay away. Longbow Ranger on open field = dead.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Lol screenshot please. Were you on your naked lvl 1 elementalist? Backstab damage is quite low actually. You could have complained about the mesmer’s one shot burst that can actually very well reach 20k+ (and it STILL would have been a l2p issue), and yet you chose to mention a skill that does an awesome 4k+ damage on a zerg warrior.

Rangers

in WvW

Sorel.4870

You’re having problems with rangers?

1) Play a SD thief
2) Learn to play
3) …
4) Profit

Rangers

in WvW

Prysin.8542

1) Play a SD thief
2) Learn to play
3) …
4) Profit

only works if the ranger has terrible situational awareness. SD doesnt focus on stealth so while fast, it is still at the mercy of longbow spam until it reaches 1200-1400 range.

SD is not a guaranteed win, it has a edge, not a whole blade.

Rangers

in WvW

Sorel.4870

1) Play a SD thief
2) Learn to play
3) …
4) Profit

only works if the ranger has terrible situational awareness. SD doesnt focus on stealth so while fast, it is still at the mercy of longbow spam until it reaches 1200-1400 range.

True enough, but if you have only one LoS spot, it’s over. As for reaching the ranger: IS → iSignet → Steal = 2400 range in 0.5s. It can even follow the ranger on ledges.

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Sooner or later zergs are going to run with the counter to rangers so it should solve by itself. But I still thing the range of the LB is too much. And I like playing ranger in wvw.

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I have to agree with this. My main, and my first 80 was a ranger……hit 80 on him quite a long while ago…….and yea, back in the early days, my ranger was not much more than a mere annoyance with his longbow. Sure, I could take down really inexperienced players…..but anyone half competent would just laugh at my character, get the easy kill(if I stuck around) or just ignore me altogether. Rangers back then were not very useful…….they became a challenge to us masochists to get decent with one in a good wvw battle. I tried the glass cannon build, briefly……but I hated having absolutely no staying power in a fight.

And then came the ‘buffs’ to the longbow…….bringing it to a point where it is now a pretty useful weapon, when played properly. And some more adjustments to ranger over time that made it more viable and useful in wvw……all good things that brought the character closer to the level of other character’s usefullness/utility in wvw.

It is actually a very fun character to play, now…….I run a lb – sw/horn build with traits that allow me to do decent damage and have decent staying power in a fight. Back in the early days I could have never run this build without being complete cannon fodder.

I like the adjustments that have been made to the ranger……and, imo, they were/are needed.

And, as other posters have noted, a decent player can still pretty easily nullify a longbow’s range/damage.

So yea, the qqs in this thread are pretty humorous.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

*This is coming from a player who has only one character since launch. A ranger.

Let’s Clarify Some Things Together:

Rapid Fire was always this powerful. The only thing they changed was 50% cast time. Rapid Fire was always meant as a spike skill, but, pre-update, it did less damage per second than auto-attack. Since update they decreased the cast time to 50%, nothing else.

With this update the skill lasts 2.5 seconds. Things you can do:

A single dodge roll lasts .75 seconds. Which negates roughly 1/3 the skill.
Two consecutive dodges, 1.50 seconds. Which negates roughly 2/3 the skill.
Protect negates 33% of the damage.
A block skill, counterattack, lasts 3 seconds. This negates 100% the skill.
Line of sight. The negates 100% the skill.
Reflect. This negates 100% the skill.
Retaliation. Returns 198 + (0.075 * Power) of the victim.
Etc…

Let’s look at the weapon:

As the name implies, long range. Sure, but Engineers can throw grenades just as far and backwards.
1. Autoattack, useful only at range.
2. Burst skill, dodgeable, blockable, etc. Useful as an opening attack.
3. Stealth. Useful for stomping or short escape, but long cooldown means if this is avoided, your day is ruined.
4. Point Blank Shot. Useful for ledges or heal interruptions.
5. Barrage. Generic AoE damage for tagging.

Let’s look at some cons:

If you get close, the ranger is going to have to change weapon or suffer.
If the ranger is moving, they cannot attack flanks or sides. (If you’re chasing, your in a good spot).
Provides zero mobility.
Other than power, provides zero other uses.

Let’s sum it up together:

Sure, longbow is a bit cliche, but it’s the ranger niche. Other classes may use a more wide array of builds, but this is a rangers go-to build. It’s also extremely easy to counter and leaves the ranger basically defenseless. If you want a perfectly balanced game, go elsewhere. There’s going to be pro/con for each build, but we could go the route and remove all the good builds from the game, if that’s what everyone wants. No more hambow, no more infi-stealth thieves, no more shatter bombs, no more ice bow…

Longbow Ranger on ledge = stay away. Longbow Ranger on open field = dead.

Excellent post.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Rangers

in WvW

Aomine.5012

1) Play a SD thief
2) Learn to play
3) …
4) Profit

Nope, good SD thief counters ranger all days. Regular invisible thief got pwned by ranger more often because they often go right to stealth when I fire up my rapid fire, and they’re downed while being invisible XD. However a good SD thief has infinite gap closer, can interrupt my RF and heal at will, and spam dodges whenever I use my burst.
SD really is a much tougher match-up to ranger than invisible thief.

Rangers

in WvW

Posted by: Marthindon.6429

Marthindon.6429

Why play ranger? I built a fully ascended glass bow power ranger as my final class for the singular purpose of unleashing hell on thieves. I consider taking out 15 as part of my daily routine. I die once every other day to a thief so I usually have a 25:1 kill/be killed ratio. Turns out that is the same ratio between good thieves and scrubs being carried by the class.

Rangers till the arrows blot out the sun….,sic’em is six seconds of heaven