Rank Points Should be Reallocatable

in WvW

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

The reset today begs the question of why rank points aren’t ALWAYS reallocatable in the same way class traits are. As it stands, you can effectively ruin a character for a very long period of time if you don’t allocate your rank points wisely in the beginning. I for one am refraining from spending ANY of them for fear of wasting them, as I know I will likely never reach the the point where I can max all trees. This really isn’t the way it should be. Maybe it should be costly (like 50g and/or 1000 badges) to discourage constantly changing to suit the situation, but in my opinion it should not be impossible to reallocate rank points.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in WvW

Posted by: Ynot.8397

Ynot.8397

I like the 1000 badge cost best. It is doable but not outrageous. 50 is a bit much.

Ferguson’s Crossing→ SoS→ DR→ EBay

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Maybe they should allow dragons to drop Rank trait respec stones

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

No, these should only be reallocated as set intervals, aka when they make changes. People shouldn’t be freely swapping from arrow cart mastery to ballista mastery to burning oil mastery.

in WvW

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

Should be reallocable, like traits. I would even go farther so that cost of reallocation should be moderate (like 3s50c for traits), but NPC for reallocation could be in LA so that you have to leave WvW to reallocate rank points.

[Hex]

in WvW

Posted by: innocent ouarior.1954

innocent ouarior.1954

I’ll support this idea righ when they’ll make Rank abilities that I’m actually exited to have.

in WvW

Posted by: koopatroopa.5360

koopatroopa.5360

Oh, the memories…

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

What server you played DAOC on? Name sounds familiar

in WvW

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

Oh, the memories…

Sheds a sentimental tear =)

in WvW

Posted by: RiWiJo.7502

RiWiJo.7502

I don’t like the idea of easily being able to respec your points before a raid or battle. But I don’t see why you should never be able to respec them either. Maybe a modification you can buy with gems, badges, or gold.

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

It shouldn’t be easy, but it should be either

1) A badge cost – 250 badges to reset
2) A set interval – perhaps the 1st of every month

I consider myself a normal to high WvW participant and I have 55 points. And it’s been what, 2 months? That barely scratches the surface of some of the trees. I too am nervous about spending points – I only actually put them into AC Mastery when I heard they were working on a reset. Now that it’s been reset, I’m not spending them. Especially because Anet has announced that more abilities will be coming.

It’s just not “fun”. It’s stressful. It’s forcing you down a play style path that will take literally 3-6 months to back-peddle from.

SO MAKE A RESET OPTION. Make it painful. Make it cost 25G. 500 Badges. 250,000 Karma. 20 Laurels. I don’t care.

Just don’t stress me out over the decisions, because then I’m just going to avoid it and resent you for causing me stress.

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I dont see why this should be so difficult to do. Everything else about your character is easily changeable. Looks, gear, traitpoints, skill bar, weapon.
But something that makes you deal 5% more damage to NPCs, oh no if you wanna swap that to 1% dmg reduction from siege IT SHOULD BE THE SEARCH FOR THE HOLY GRAIL TENFOLD.

Get real people. It should be easily changeable at the spawn of your server, at an NPC for a small cost akin to resetting traits.

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

Should be reallocable, like traits. I would even go farther so that cost of reallocation should be moderate (like 3s50c for traits), but NPC for reallocation could be in LA so that you have to leave WvW to reallocate rank points.

I like this… NPC for this in LA with a dynamic badge cost – 2 x your rank.

in WvW

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

It shouldn’t be easy, but it should be either

1) A badge cost – 250 badges to reset
2) A set interval – perhaps the 1st of every month

I consider myself a normal to high WvW participant and I have 55 points. And it’s been what, 2 months? That barely scratches the surface of some of the trees. I too am nervous about spending points – I only actually put them into AC Mastery when I heard they were working on a reset. Now that it’s been reset, I’m not spending them. Especially because Anet has announced that more abilities will be coming.

It’s just not “fun”. It’s stressful. It’s forcing you down a play style path that will take literally 3-6 months to back-peddle from.

SO MAKE A RESET OPTION. Make it painful. Make it cost 25G. 500 Badges. 250,000 Karma. 20 Laurels. I don’t care.

Just don’t stress me out over the decisions, because then I’m just going to avoid it and resent you for causing me stress.

Exactly. Rather than being fun, ranks just add unnecessary stress because you could be irreversibly ruining a character you’ve spent a thousand hours on. The only safe way to use them is not to use them at all until you can max all trees (which may never happen, especially if they add more trees). We can change everything about our character, even name and gender, at this point, but for some unknown reason we are not allowed to change WvW trees, ever.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in WvW

Kincaidia.3192

I’m glad someone else feels the same as me Jabberwock. I know some people might just yell “YOLO!” and move on, but it’s actually affecting my enjoyment of WvW right now.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Except that’s silly. Its not like gaining the next rank is harder than getting the rank you got before after wvw rank 10 or so. If you mess up putting 5 points somewhere you didn’t want to just yet, just get 5 more levels.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Defcon.8509

Defcon.8509

You really need to be able to reset them.

Make the cost significant, or time based, anything, but they need to be able to be reset.

I have almost 40 and haven’t spent any simply because the selection is permanent. That’s not fun or useful.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

What server you played DAOC on? Name sounds familiar

Classic and Merlin Server

Hibernia mostly, sometimes mid

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Make the cost significant, or time based, anything, but they need to be able to be reset.

I have almost 40 and haven’t spent any simply because the selection is permanent. That’s not fun or useful.

Get over yourself and spend the points.

It takes just as much time for you to earn another point as it took to get the previous one.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Kincaidia.3192

Oh, so you’re saying that I shouldn’t worry about something that took 2-3 months of work?

That makes me feel so much better.

I have more time in the WvW ability points than I do in getting 3 characters to 80.

in WvW

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

I wish I could “+1” this.

Oh, hey!

BOOM!!

Done!

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

in WvW

Posted by: Visiroth.5914

Visiroth.5914

Except that’s silly. Its not like gaining the next rank is harder than getting the rank you got before after wvw rank 10 or so. If you mess up putting 5 points somewhere you didn’t want to just yet, just get 5 more levels.

Most traits cost a lot more than 5 measly points or I’d agree with you. I bet a lot of people were wishing they had points saved up when AC mastery was released. The same thing could happen when a new trait line is introduced, or an existing one is expanded.

Any time something is changed or added a reset would be nice. Add to that more descriptive tool tips on what some of these traits do. “Increased radius” isn’t helpful unless I know what the increase is. I can unlock some extra skill but I don’t even know what the cooldown on it is.

in WvW

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

Its called planning & forethought….. the fact we even got one change is -.-" to me.

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Defcon.8509

Defcon.8509

Get over yourself and spend the points.

It takes just as much time for you to earn another point as it took to get the previous one.

Except everything isn’t just a point, or even five. Some things are hundreds of points.

This is a time investment of hundreds of hours, for something that is absolutely permanent for no good reason.

What about people who change servers, and their investment into skills are now a total mismatch for the playstyle of their new teammates? Or maybe they just realize that their choices were rather far from ideal after becoming more familiar with the game.

There are any number of scenarios for which the ability to reset these points makes sense, and I’ve heard no reasons as to why they should remain as aeonian as they currently are.

Just because you employ such a laissez-faire approach to your wvw points doesn’t mean everyone does. For some of us, the irreversibility of them is a major deterrent to spending them.

Get over yourself.

in WvW

Kincaidia.3192

I want to try out some different builds. And like hell I’m going to take 3 months each time.