Rate classes in WvW

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Everything>ranger. It’s almost like every single ranger has absolutely no idea how to play the class. It’s underpowered anyway but even so, many many players need to l2p it. No you can’t tank a Zerg with the stupid pet, and no you can’t repeatedly fire barrage at guardians without auto gimping yourself.

Rangers and warriors are noob magnets but warriors are sufficiently useful and easy to use for this not to matter.

Most rangers are bad, and I’d agree with you that Rangers are bottom when it comes to zerging, They are one of the best solo classes in the game though..

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

idk what happens in everyone elses wvw. but for me, i tend to see many open field fights with AC’s or when we defend a point, the enemy has AC’s.

ive noticed lately who i res, its ALWAYS thief who dies to the AC’s over and over. i res one guy, blew all my invuln and heals etc. he dies literally 10 secs later to the same AC. got a bit annoying. theres usually enough other blast finishers that you dont need a spammable one from a thief unless maybe your wvw particpation isnt too big and your taking it with a small team maybe. ive never heard anyone on teamspeak ask a thief to do anything though. definatly not a requirement

rangers are a must for taking keeps for the water field if theres not enough ele water fields to keep up but besides their heal, sadly i dont see any other skills being useful to the team, just themselves.

all other classes are a neccessity and without giving away all tactics, they definatly all get called on in teamspeak to do jobs. if theres not, big problems.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: MrChandMan.8253

MrChandMan.8253

1. Elementalist/Guardian
2. Mesmer
3. Necromancer
4. Engineer/warrior

99. Ranger
100. Thief (except for soloing, but that will get lonely and boring)

Tarnished Coast Militia/[CERN]

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The way I see it:
At the extremes: Ele is the best for zerg battles and the worse for 1vs1; they can really affect the entire enemy zerg and lay down most of the fields. Thief is the best for 1vs1 and worse for zerg but they can be amazing commanders.

Other classes are more balanced in regards of what they can do. Necros and mesmers are good in both zerg and 1vs1. Guardians and engineers are better for zergs but still good in 1vs1 while rangers and warriors are the mirror opposite.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Large scale zerg fights 30+ against skilled guild zergs not pugs:
1. Guardian
2. Necro
3. Ele
4. Warrior
5. Mesmer
6. Thief
7. Engi
8. Ranger

All about that sustain, stability, AOE pressure(You want retal friendly aoe not small hits).

I think you’re selling Engie short. They can dish out Bleeding, Burning and Poison to large groups of play in multiple ways with little effort and can be every bit as hardy as classes you put near the top at the same time. Certainly better then Thieves, on overall damage, pressure and survivability.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: aelflune.8590

aelflune.8590

Playing engi and necro when I go with zerg, I’ll stay a little bit away from the battle and find the right position to do damage or AoE on downed enemies (may be wait till someone come rez thier friend and I’ll drop AoE to kill both of them)

Just some constructive criticism…. That isn’t the best way to play a necro in a zerg if you want to win consistently.

This isn’t constructive. Being constructive would be taking steps to help the other person understand what you mean.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Playing engi and necro when I go with zerg, I’ll stay a little bit away from the battle and find the right position to do damage or AoE on downed enemies (may be wait till someone come rez thier friend and I’ll drop AoE to kill both of them)

Just some constructive criticism…. That isn’t the best way to play a necro in a zerg if you want to win consistently.

This isn’t constructive. Being constructive would be taking steps to help the other person understand what you mean.

Personally I like playing my necro on the front lines with the melee. Being in the thick of it spamming chill and blind to help mitigate incoming damage. I don’t know thakittens the best way but I find it very helpful.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

Not sure the point of your post, but it was constructive because I was informing him that he should seek out different methods of necro play because they exist and they perform better.

Constructive does not equate to hand holding…

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: aelflune.8590

aelflune.8590

There’s no difference between that and a pure L2P post.

It’s really not that hard to type a few sentences to summarise your point. Not saying you have to discuss builds and skill usage in depth.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

Guardian
Mesmer
Warrior
Necro

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

For those of you saying engies can do well with damaging/putting conditions on zergs, you would be correct if not for the effects of retaliation. An engie will kill themselves in just 1 or 2 seconds of throwing grenades. Due to retaliation, engies are 100% useless in zergs. It shouldn’t be this way, but it is.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

1. Guardian,

2 Necro,

3. eles

4. mesmer

5. warrior

6. Thiefs

7. Engis

8. Rangers,

Only reason I put thiefs before engis is becasue scouting is important. Thiefs make the best scouts. Why I put rangers at the end, becasue they do ranged damage but besides that they bring little to the table to help anyone else when compared to other professions.

Why I put mesmers above warriors. Simple Portals, Portals arnt as good as they used to be but are still very powerful. The rest should be very self explanatory for anyone that is experienced in wvw.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

(edited by Warlord.9074)

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Just because of this thread, I’m going to play my Ranger tonight.

Oh, and my Engi. And she’s never dies to retaliation and she’s only level 35!

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Yaro.3251

Yaro.3251

An engie will kill themselves in just 1 or 2 seconds of throwing grenades. Due to retaliation, engies are 100% useless in zergs. It shouldn’t be this way, but it is.

Whirling Wrath into the retal-heavy zerg will kill a guardian in a blink of an eye. And that’s a guardian staple burst ability. Does it make guardian useless on WvW?

Engi has an outlandish raid support combos if specced correctly (think bombs + P/S). It is really getting old when people take one skill/build and say “this build is crap on WvW therefore this class is crap on WvW”.

Team Aggression [TA] – Golden Horde [GH]

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Lablamb.2419

Lablamb.2419

People do not seem to understand that Necromancers are weak in zergs, but excel in small groups. Reasoning? Their conditions get removed almost instantly. The only way a Necromancer can do well with conditions is a Corruption build and just waiting for a target who has a lot of conditions and spreading them using Epidemic. I have an 80 Necromancer, Ranger, and Engineer. With this lineup I would say these are pretty much equal with Engineer slightly higher mainly due to the fact they can launch grenades at 1500 range. Rangers can shoot at 1500 but with a long cooldown AoE it lacks a bit. I am leveling a Guardian and Elementalist currently and find Guardian to be unbelievably boring in zergs. Elementalist seems to squish at the very sight of an enemy but I think I may end up liking Elementalist.

Here is a little insight: conditions are weak in zergs because of the amount of condition removal and straight power deals more damage hence Warriors being better in zergs. The best thing to play in a zerg is something that can dish out straight damage, contain fire and water fields, give boons, remove conditions, and control. Elementalists can do them all except #1.
Guardians can do them all except #1 and #2.
Engineers can do them all except #3, and #4.
Warriors can do them all except #2, and #4.

I would say that the “best” class for WvW is:

1. Elementalist
    (support) http://intothemists.com/guides/107-staff_build_for_organized_groups
  2. Guardian
    (support) http://intothemists.com/guides/351-wvw_ahguardian_video_guide_included
  3. Warrior
    (melee) http://intothemists.com/guides/322-dreary_yews_hammerstorm_dps_warrior
    (ranged) http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-s;4RKkO0a4F2VQ0;9;5T-9T;129A;13;059AL-V4-RV4u0;6Fz0-35-N_scpI

As for Warriors in zergs you MUST (MUST MUST) use the Battle Standard elite skill.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Funny how many people put thieves last. I think that’s more of an annoyance factor since thieves are incredibly powerful in WvW, and most people have gotten killed by them. They’re also very hard to play effectively. Anyone can smash heartseeker all day long, anyone can get away from it too…

My list?

Take it in any order you want:

Ele, Guardian, Necro, Mesmer, Thief, Warrior.

If you want to do solo or small group roaming only, ranger or engi, when built right and operated by a talented person, are very hard to beat. Only moderately useful in zerg fights.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

People do not seem to understand that Necromancers are weak in zergs, but excel in small groups.

lol… Necros are one of the main components of the zerg meta these days. Incredibly powerful and useful. Their usefulness has almost nothing to do with damage-dealing conditions. Wells, which pulse unblockable nastiness, are absolutely vital to zerg success. Condition necros are “meh.”

This is how you necro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFNClvV5UR8

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

For everything above say 10v10 :

Top tier: Necro, Guardian, Warrior, Ele

Middle tier: Mesmer, Thief

Lower tier: Ranger, Engi

The top tier classes I listed are the core for the most successful guilds.

Haters gonna hate :-)

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

For those of you saying engies can do well with damaging/putting conditions on zergs, you would be correct if not for the effects of retaliation. An engie will kill themselves in just 1 or 2 seconds of throwing grenades. Due to retaliation, engies are 100% useless in zergs. It shouldn’t be this way, but it is.

Yeah, because that’s the only Kit Engineers have.

::rollseyes::

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

This is really a simple question. My rating will be..

Good at your class>Everything else

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Lablamb.2419

Condition necros are “meh.”

You said exactly what I said. Well Necromancers basically jump around and throw up a bunch of AoE. There is not a lot of skill or timing.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Sizzle Hint.1820

Sizzle Hint.1820

Rather put them in few tiers:

T1:
Guardian
Ele

T2:
Mesmer
Necro
Ranger
Warrior

T3:
Thief
Engi

Looking at scale of 15+ vs 15+

put necro t1, switch thief and ranger then i agree

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

In my opinion:

Thieves>Necromancer>Mesmer>Guards>Rangers>Warrior>Engineers>Ele

This is Solo, Small groups and zergs all vary on size, composition and such so its harder to define for that though all you have to do is have access to AoE, i would put Thief lower due to that reason alone

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

You said exactly what I said. Well Necromancers basically jump around and throw up a bunch of AoE. There is not a lot of skill or timing.

Watch the video and tell me there was no skill or timing.

Wells are only one part of the massive benefit Necro’s provide.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

This is really a simple question. My rating will be..

Good at your class>Everything else

So True! This ^

I won’t knock other classes and say oh they are easy don’t need any skill…

Truth is every class has people with skill and people who are new and learning. Some are really good at what they do and others aren’t for whatever reason.

Truth is in WvW your best bet is to enjoy what you are doing alot, as the point is to have fun. If you like what you are doing (not doing something because it is popular) You will be all the better at what you do.

In WvW every class is useful to a team. Its more the player that is useful then the class on a team. The presence of a person that can help achieve a goal. Who wants to be there and loves what they are doing. Some classes do damage, some classes skim points off the top of things, some heal, some do all…

At the end of the day, being there, enjoying it and having fun is the best class.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

It’s interesting where these rankings land. Here is my ranking. This is for 20+

1. Necromancer
2. Guardian
3. Elementalist
4. Warrior
5. Mesmer
6. Thief
7. Engineer
8. Ranger

Yea im harsh on rangers but it’s only because I have friends who main them and they simply get out classed at everything that they could bring to a zerg. Let me break down my rankings

Rank 1: Necromancer
Necro narrowly beats out guardian as the most important part of my zerg. The truth is that this class balances two things that win fights: AOE DPS and Survivability. No other class combines these in such a strong manner as a necro does. It is entirely possible to build a zerg entirely of necros and beat anything else with it. What you need is 10 x well necros, 5x epidemic condition spreaders, and 5x spectral tanks. Know that death shroud basically lets a necro tank anything. Necros have a tripwire cc (spectral wall) which is why they edge out guardians.

Rank 2: Guardian
While they lack the AOE DPS component of a necro they carry 3 of the 5 strongest movement control skills in the game. These are Line of Warding, Ring of Warding, and Sanctuary. Between those 3 a guardian can block a choke for 15 seconds on his own. I expect guardians around me to carry at least one of those. If they don’t carry any of these they’re a Rank 8, bumping every other class up 1 notch. Guardians provide the strongest on-demand condition removal and also provide aoe stability. These are what makes a guardian rank so high. They can cover the weaknesses of other classes.

Rank 3: Elementalist
It’s all about the snares. Sure meteor shower is nice when you have a wall full of arrow carts but a trebuchet is also nice to counter that problem. Where eles shine is movement control. They have 3 powerful snares: ice field, churning earth, and static field. If used correctly a single elementalist can destroy an entire zerg with these 3 skills. Combine with mist form and tornado and they can push any choke. Eles have the best access to water fields too. They’re great for healing up your zerg for the second hit.

Rank 4 : Warrior
I gave my warriors such a low rank. This is a fair assessment though. Warriors are a little special in the way of frontliners. They specialize best in AOE CC. Their CC is not as powerful as the tripwire ccs in the top 3 ranks though. That 5 target limit is a real show stopper and limits their ability to rank higher. The CC can’t be ignored though and if used properly a warrior front line is a powerful weapon. Warriors can’t really serve much of another purpose though. You can try 100 blades or ranged dps but you’ll be out classed. You can’t cleanse as well as a guardian or elementalist. As far as scouting I’d assign a warrior first. With greatsword, perma swiftness and the large number of gap closer skills they have they can cover a lot of ground in a short time.

Rank 5: Mesmer
Mesmers IMO are not that useful in a zerg unless they’re heavily stacked. I use them for portal bots. Aside from portal they’re out classed in DPS and support. Now i know a lot of mesmers here would be quick to counter my judgement saying like “i do good dps” or “you ever been confusioned to 25 before”. The truth is that you’re not a high dps class. Not without sacrificing what I want you for.

Rank 6: Thief
Rank 6 is because you’re a blast finisher bot. That’s it. The rest of the time you’re flat out useless to the zerg simply because you can’t take focused fire. This means you can’t dps well. Sure you can teleport but not often enough to make up for raw survivability. That the account above where people scattered from dagger storm exists speaks volumes to the stupidity of those scattering. NO, don’t scatter when a thief dagger storms. Focus him down. He’ll melt before his fingers can reach the shadow step key.

Rank 7: Engineer
There isn’t much you can do on an engie that isn’t done better on another class. Thieves have better blast finishers,Necros have better damage and conditions, mesmers have better confusion output, eles have better water fields , and guardians/warriors frontline better. I only rank engies higher than rangers because rangers don’t typically run what they should. Use your glue. that will do. Oh and be rolling an ele or something to use in WvW once they’re 80 cause your engie is a rally bot.

Rank 8: Ranger
Hah yes it comes down to this. One of my good friends (Gamadorn) is one of the best rangers on our server and he says it’s outclassed by other classes. I can believe this. I’ve analyzed what they can bring to a zerg and it isn’t much. Utilities get locked into healing spring, muddy terrain, and then survivability. Longbow is hard countered by retaliation.

Little red Lioka

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It is kind of hard to judge as a whole, since different classes are good at different things. Ambushing, soloing, small skirmishes, defense, assaults, GvG, and zerging are all different beasts in nature, so analyzing which class would be best for all of them is difficult.

Anyway, were I to come up with a ranking system “as a whole”, I would put it at the following:

#1: Guardian. Makes a strong frontline, great group support, can solo anything that attacks him, good mobility and decent chase. Weakness include a lack of ranged weaponry and distanced AoE, so they aren’t good at defending or too massive of a zerg.

#2: Elementalist. They have high mobility, great support skills, good water fields for healing, a ton of AoE damage, good field control, good range. Problem is they have incredibly low survivability, so they are weak to ambushes, and when locked down they die quickly.

#3: Engineer. The engineer is like the lovechild of the guardian and the elementalist. The engineer is capable of stacking a lot of boons while being somewhat mobile, while also having decent support skills and massive ranged AoE damage. The engineer doesn’t have a weakness; there is so much build diversity within engineers that what would beat one build is stopped cold by another. Problem is, the engineer suffers from the “jack of all trades, master of none” syndrome, where everything they do, someone can do better. Still, it is always good to have on by your side.

#4: Warrior. The control abilities and the offensive power, combined with decent statistical bulk makes warriors another strong frontline class. The advantage they have over the guardian is that they have more viable ranged weaponry, and can defend towers as well as they can scrap it out in a zerg. The problem is, however, that warriors are disabled fairly easy, and most of their strongest moves require assistance from other classes to lay down.

#5: Necromancer. The necro provides a lot of control and AoE pressure, and also yields the highest statistical bulk out of any class. With a full life force bar, which is surprisingly easy in WvW, the necromancer has so much HP and power that recklessly engaging one means certain death. Their AoEs work as a good deterrent, capapble of hitting around corners, and can slowly lay waste to any opposing zerg. The weakness of the necromancer is that they are slow, often trailing behind the other team. They don’t have good chase or good disengage, so necromancers are like slow moving bastions on the field.

#6: Mesmer. Most of the mesmer’s abilities rely more on small engagements, so they have difficulty finding a place in WvW. Most mesmers are relegated to utility roles, like spamming focus #4, using veil when commanded, and portaling golems. Granted, the portal technique is really useful for re-taking keeps and getting golems in an area, but because of this you only need 1 or 2 mesmers per zerg. The mesmer is good at dueling, but without forced point control the mesmer doesn’t have enough speed to chase down opponents, with most of their disengage being from stealth.

#7: Thief. The thief’s role in WvW is usually relegated to ambushes an small skirmishes, and because of this the thief is rarely ever necessary. The thief can provide targeted kills and pulls well, as well as generally harassing solo running classes that are weak to ambushing. The thief’s greatest asset is stealth and blind support on small skirmishes; stealth allows the team to avoid larger zergs as well as have an immediate advantage in team vs. team fights. But otherwise, their short range and general squishyness make thieves ineffctive for GvG, zerging, and defending.

#8: Ranger. This is the hard part. You see, I gauge the classes based on how noticeable their performance in the WvW field is, or how well they perform while under my control. The biggest problem with rangers is that, for every ranger I’ve ever engaged, they’ve amounted to nothing greater than “I’m vaguely aware that someone is shooting me. Oh, it isn’t a warrior?”. That is to say, I don’t feel their field presence at all. Which is unfortunate, since I see a lot of rangers in WvW. They’re usually defending keeps by shooting at someone, or in a zerg tagging someone at maximum range. Other than ambient fire, I don’t see rangers performing that well at all. Rangers might as well not exist. I mean, I’ll miss using their pets as epidemic bait, but otherwise… they shoot at people? I"d inquire about their chase skills, but I’ve never had to run from a ranger.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: peter.9024

peter.9024

For solo roaming from my perspective:

Warrior
Thief
Mesmer
Engi
Ranger
Guardian
Necro
Elementalist

Skullclamp

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

1) thos stupidly overpowerd @#$%s

2) the insanely broken %@#&s

3) those brainless pos #$#%s

4) those unkillable trash $%@$s

5) those incredibly lame @$%&s

6) thos facerollkeyboard @&$%s

7) that annoying as fuk $@%#

8) My class

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

1) thos stupidly overpowerd @#$%s

2) the insanely broken %@#&s

3) those brainless pos #$#%s

4) those unkillable trash $%@$s

5) those incredibly lame @$%&s

6) thos facerollkeyboard @&$%s

7) that annoying as fuk $@%#

8) My class

LOL! This is probably the best reply ever…

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Equinox.4195

Equinox.4195

I beg to differ.

Equinox the Undying – Thug Necromancer
http://www.youtube.com/EPEquinox

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Assuming by overall you mean roaming/zerg/small group

I would say ELES are by far the best choice. D/D ele roaming is great, as well as Staff or D/D ele for zerging and scepter/Dagger for small group.

Ele>Guardian>Necromancer>Mesmer>Warrior>Engi/Thief>Ranger

Roaming would be something like

Thief > Mesmer > Ele/Engi > Warrior/Ranger > Necro/Guard

WvW Zerging

Necro/Guard > Ele/Warrior > Mesmer > Engi/Thief/Ranger

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Just my opinion… and we know all about those

Zerg Staple: Guardian, Elementalist
Zerg Highly Useful: Necro, Mesmer, Warrior
Zerg Fluff: Everything else

Solo Staple: Thief
Solo Ehh… Ok: Mesmer, Warrior (speed variety), D/D Ele (better be above average player)

Rangers: Aside from Healing Spring they don’t have a solid place anywhere in WvW (and yes I have one with several hundred WvW hours). People talk about Ranger solo which CAN be done but hard core players run into a scary ranger about once in almost never. Occasionally a really good high mobility one will pop up but even then they face a very tough fight against any decent player. That same ace player running a ranger in a different class, they would be scarier.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

From Best to Worst suited for WvW …

Thief- Intentionally designed to be the Over-Superior class.
Warrior
Mesmer
Guardian
Engineer
Ranger- Intentionally designed to be at the Bottom Pitt of the classes… any chance of Hope is crushed by the Over-Superior class.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Tsezar.6950

Tsezar.6950

my ranking for solo wvw from my experiences ( i play every class except necro and engi)

from best to worst

warrior
ranger (i think its even with warrior but warrior might slightly be better)
thief
ele
engi
mesmer
guardian
necromancer

I PLay Without Hands To Have [Fun]

How many Dzagonurs and Gunnars do you need to kill me? Over 9000!!

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Lablamb.2419

I beg to differ.

“Their conditions get removed almost instantly. The only way a Necromancer can do well with conditions is a Corruption build and just waiting for a target who has a lot of conditions and spreading them using Epidemic.”

Boom!

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Zerg

Guardian
Ele
Necro
Warrior
Mesmer
Engineer
Thief

Ranger (your actually dragging your server down and should switch to a ‘proper’ class)

Solo Roaming

Thief

They are so good, all other classes need not apply.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

I find all professions equal. But they are best in different areas.

Playing atm as one of the “useless” Rangers, I stoped counting how many times I destroyed that one siege killing Ballista, that one Keep hitting Trebuchet and such with my Longbow.

I roam mostly and it feels great. I play Mesmer, Thief, Ranger and Necro and see their strenghts and weaknesses in different areas. I myself can’t pick the “best” profession for WvW, for the best play happens at synergy of skill, playstayle and build.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I find all professions equal. But they are best in different areas.

Playing atm as one of the “useless” Rangers, I stoped counting how many times I destroyed that one siege killing Ballista, that one Keep hitting Trebuchet and such with my Longbow.

I roam mostly and it feels great. I play Mesmer, Thief, Ranger and Necro and see their strenghts and weaknesses in different areas. I myself can’t pick the “best” profession for WvW, for the best play happens at synergy of skill, playstayle and build.

Try ele, then see if you think all the professions are equal lol
I agree though that most (ele sucks!) professions all have their advantages and disadvantages for me

Ele:

+ Takes a while to die
+Group Support
- Dies (Low health)
- Low damage
- Low conditions
- Low Threat solo

Mesmer:

+ Great solo
+ Team play (more support)

- Keep/Tower siege attack
- Low OOC speed (Only Focus)
-No 25% in combat speed buff

Thief:

+ Solo
+Fast map movement
+Alot of stealth for spying
- Team/Zerg fights

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Zerg

Guardian
Ele
Necro
Warrior
Mesmer
Engineer
Thief

Ranger (your actually dragging your server down and should switch to a ‘proper’ class)

Solo Roaming

Thief

*They are so good, all other classes need not apply.

You “hit it dead on”

I’m glad and Relieved that you; a thief class Confirms what i’ve been saying for far too long.

In other words, The Ultimate Class Award goes to Thief; and only to The Thief.

This ‘put the nail on the coffin’ that I’m Not a “Troll or Making stuff up”

Again

Thank You for Confirming this.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Silinsar.6298

Silinsar.6298

Zergs:
Guards, Warriors, Eles, Necros, Mesmers are the “core” of a zerg. Anything else may be nice to have, but is not mandatory

Solo Roaming:
The last fights which inpressed me were vs. ele and war. I have yet to see a guard who causes me any problems, same goes for 95% of thieves. Necros are deadly if you allow them to overwhelm you with conds, but are usually easy to run from if you get it soon enough. Mesmers are strong duelists for 1on1, but lack ooc mobility to travel around and chasing power. Rangers can be nasty 1on1 fighters but their pet is easily kited and they aren’t so threatening without it. Fighting an engi is like gambling, it may turn out easy, it may turn out hard.

My check list for a solo roaming build:

1. OOC speed
  2. 1on1 (and eventually even 1vsX) capability
  3. escape options
  4. camp capture capability
  5. defensive stats/procs to survive unexpected bursts (not entirely glass)
  6. chasing power
  7. ability to kill player-guarded dolys
  8. options to protect dolys (like AoE heal, cond remove or CC for preventing the damage). The icing on the cake: doly swiftness buffing

Any class that can more or less fulfill these requirements within a single build is a good solo roamer in my opinion. There are strong 1on1 builds out there, which however probably suck at multiple of the other points. Since I lack extensive roaming experience on most classes, the only thing I can tell you is that engi is awesome.

Group roaming:
See the list above. Depending on group composition and corresponding group-orientated builds you can probably use any class to fulfill some of the points.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Equinox.4195

Equinox.4195

I beg to differ.

“Their conditions get removed almost instantly. The only way a Necromancer can do well with conditions is a Corruption build and just waiting for a target who has a lot of conditions and spreading them using Epidemic.”

Boom!

>Implying the only viable Necromancer setup is condition damage?
Only terrible necromancers use condition damage instead of power in WvW.

Equinox the Undying – Thug Necromancer
http://www.youtube.com/EPEquinox

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Zerg

Guardian
Ele
Necro
Warrior
Mesmer
Engineer
Thief

Solo Roaming

Thief

*They are so good, all other classes need not apply.

You “hit it dead on”

I’m glad and Relieved that you; a thief class Confirms what i’ve been saying for far too long.

In other words, The Ultimate Class Award goes to Thief; and only to The Thief.

This ‘put the nail on the coffin’ that I’m Not a “Troll or Making stuff up”

Again

Thank You for Confirming this.

Uh, no. The fact he put thief at the bottom zerging shows they’re a class good at picking off loners, but become a ignorable in a group situation. In any case, the main entry requirement for roaming is movement speed, on that note, and class with perma-swiftness, or a speed signet is good to go roaming.
If you want classes that can change the outcome of WvW matchups, look no farther then Mesmer and Guardian. Other classes provide the dps and in the broad scheme of things, since thieves can’t stay engaged in a fight long enough to contribute like all the other classes, and wide spread damage isn’t their strong suit, they’re simply left behind all the hardier classes.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: mickers.2715

mickers.2715

From a roaming stand point in my opinion its

Super team ranger
A team Engi necro , stealth mes im not too sure about this one it does lack pressure.
B team warrior, other spec mesmers and thiefs who im tempted to put in C team because 1v1 they usually just run.
C team guardian, ele

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

God-Tier:
Guardian/Warrior
They are the backbone of any group. Need to have lots of these guys for front line.
You’d want to have 70-80% of the group filled by these guys.

Good-Tier:
Necromancer/Mesmer/Elementalist:
Support classes. Good for supporting the front line so they can really do some damage.
Have 20-30% of these guys. Not too much though, since they’re there for support.

Okay-Tier:
Thief/Ranger/Engineer
Thief is good for trolling and spying not much else. Ranger is good for sPvP.
Don’t really need any of these. Maybe 1 thief to cause confusion.

All is vain.

(edited by Excalibur.9748)

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

T1 – Warrior, Guardian, Ele
T2 – Necromancer, Mesmer
T3 – Thief, Ranger, Engineer

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

Thieves are not only viable in zergs, they’re valuable. I’m not saying indispensable, but valuable. Constant blast finishers and dagger storm alone are enough to be useful to your zerg. You can also be doling out Vigor to your teamates, plus whatever else you steal. (Aim for stability). On top of all that, you can cause a mess of caltrops. A crippled zerg is a dead zerg. And if your zerg needs you to scurry off and scout something or tap a wp, you’re well qualified to do that.

Is a thief as needed for a successful zerg as a guardian or a mesmer? No, but they’re far from useless.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Mirsa.1628

Mirsa.1628

From the perspective of organized guild raids:

T1 (Core): Guardian, Ele, Warrior
T2: Necro, Mesmer
T3 (Miscellaneous tasks): Thief, Engi, Ranger

Just a note about thieves: As the meta continues to evolve, we may see thieves as more than just roamers. The ability to pick off key support members can turn the tide of a battle. The use of thieves was paramount to EP’s recent victory against Agg (as told by an Agg member).

[GS] Gun Squad
Guild Master

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Swarms or necros thiefs mesmers, range classes and massive condition spam.

For experience of what i fight against:

1. Thief (rare to find thiefs soloing always come in parties)
2. Necro (never less than 2 or 3 together)
3. Mesmer(always with thiefs or necros nearby)
4. Warrior (sometimes zerkers for killshot target call)
note: making one to test myself with the trait for 6% more damage on boon users.
5. Guardian
6. Ele
7. Ranger
8. Engi

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Rate classes in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Lucidity.5947

Lucidity.5947

my opinion with structured gvg:

god tier: guardian, necro (at least before the nerfs hit), (staff) ele, warrior
mesmer tier: mesmer
niche use: teef (jump on that one special squishy)

brazillian tier: engi, ranger [go play pvp if you want to wreck with these classes]

[APeX] Lucidity
WvW&GvG Elementalist on Blackgate